Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're into rally stuff, there's a new Richard Burns Rally mod out called RBR 2016 which has the cars of the 2016 WRC season (and a random WRC2 car to fill the 8th spot since RBR needs 8 cars). It's noteworthy because the download for it is an all-in-one package that includes RBR itself. I won't link it here in case of files but if you've bounced off RBR before because of the insane amount of work it is to download and install all the bits of RSRBR then this might be something you enjoy. Then you can still install alternate car packs and track packs as you want them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Helpful reminder: these are all video games.

prove it bitch

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Because numbers and polygons and plastic wheels

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
gosh dang, you really dont get it, do you

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
I think I can settle this, all you need is $12k!

https://youtu.be/fjImRqEmdWo

(not just trolling, thought you guys would enjoy this one)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

If you're into the nuts and bolts of how these games work, Niels (Reiza's physics guy) just uploaded a video about how he's basically done all his physics calculations wrong his entire career. So if you've wondered why cars in AMS tend to get a bit wild at high speeds, it's because the aero calculations are completely wrong. That's explains why the Formula Extreme has gotten reworked and rebuilt so many times since its release.

It's still wrong to me. Drag is a distributed force load based on the surface area and angle of deflection and direction of wind but more importantly it's not going to work to compute a resultant drag vector and call the moment zero because it passes through the center of gravity. That's an absurd assumption on his part that I didn't hear him explain. If you were really getting crazy you would calculate the actual center of gravity for each car using an integral and and I guess the area moment of inertia since the car isn't going to bend the same as a uniform rectangle then you would need compute the resultant drag vector from each surface which is definitely not going to point normal to the vertical axis of the car and in fact will point in different directionss from each other so you can use a simple summation of forces to figure out the moment and most importantly do this all in 3 dimension vectors not 2d but

Not video games

ethanol fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Listen buddy, this is a real life simulator, I spent $25,000 dollars on my sim rig to make it as realistic as possible. I've got 15 tachometers, 23 screens that show my lap times and 18 gauge clusters. I got my actual CDL to play ATS. When I played Flight Simulator X, I got my pilot’s license and played it as realistically as possible. This isn't a video game, I'm not some dumb nerd to who sits on his computer all day playing video games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When the yellow flag comes out, 20,000 yellow lights in my sim cave start strobing to simulate what it's like inside the light bar of the safety car. When the checkered flag comes out, 30,000 white lights start strobing to simulate what it's like inside the checkered flag. I have a separate sound card and audio receiver for each tire, the engine, wind noise, in game voice chat, mumble, teamspeak, discord, and iSpeed. I have 15 buttkickers and a soundcard and receiver for each of those. I have a $3000 custom wheel rim on my G27, and the GTEye springs for my pedals. You could say I'm very serious about sim racing.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I have women in bikinis present me with a bottle of champagne after each win. We all shower in it as a celebration of victory. Video games are for children, sim racing is a man sport.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
If I crash my car in the simulator, I take my PC out to the back yard and smash it with a hammer and set fire to it and to myself. When I am discharged from the hospital I buy a new PC.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

When the yellow flag comes out, 20,000 yellow lights in my sim cave start strobing to simulate what it's like inside the light bar of the safety car. When the checkered flag comes out, 30,000 white lights start strobing to simulate what it's like inside the checkered flag. I have a separate sound card and audio receiver for each tire, the engine, wind noise, in game voice chat, mumble, teamspeak, discord, and iSpeed. I have 15 buttkickers and a soundcard and receiver for each of those. I have a $3000 custom wheel rim on my G27, and the GTEye springs for my pedals. You could say I'm very serious about sim racing.

Need to up your wheel game. Id figure with that money youd have a wheel designed by god.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

no bones about it posted:

Need to up your wheel game. Id figure with that money youd have a wheel designed by god.

He is working on the button box now, the wheel should be delivered by Jesus in the next week or two.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Sorry dude, but Jesus took your wheel.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Cojawfee posted:

You laugh, but there was a guy in iracing that had a gameroom setup to do exactly this, albeit not so extreme. The video is somewhere but if you find it and listen closely, you can hear the guy's wife being plowed by the mailman due to the lack of attention.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Coja I found you a wheel.

$300 TX with Ferrari Alcantara rim and 3 pedal setup. (Cross posting from iracing thread) I ordered this a couple weeks ago and just got an email saying it should arrive Thursday so they're getting some stock shortly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015KJ0SES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Coja I found you a wheel.

$300 TX with Ferrari Alcantara rim and 3 pedal setup. (Cross posting from iracing thread) I ordered this a couple weeks ago and just got an email saying it should arrive Thursday so they're getting some stock shortly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B015KJ0SES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That wheel is good, the pedals need to have something stuffed behind them to keep them from sliding across your floor though. If you have a cockpit though the pedals work great.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ringo Star Get posted:

You laugh, but there was a guy in iracing that had a gameroom setup to do exactly this, albeit not so extreme. The video is somewhere but if you find it and listen closely, you can hear the guy's wife being plowed by the mailman due to the lack of attention.

This is the high water mark for sim goon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d6XcnCB5R0

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the windows error sounds are an essential part of semi-professional flight simming.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
jesus can we take a collection to get that poor man a HMD?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Get him a projector and dome

BMS doesn't support VR.

YET.

EDIT: A true sperg would have a separate display projecting onto the HUD for more relism

EDIT2: http://viperwing.com/#full-F-16-simulator

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 14, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just an FYI I just sold my used G27 on eBay for $400 freaking dollars for some reason and others seem to be going for around that. Just mentioning this in case you had one and are interested in upgrading to something better.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Just an FYI I just sold my used G27 on eBay for $400 freaking dollars for some reason and others seem to be going for around that. Just mentioning this in case you had one and are interested in upgrading to something better.

Jesus. I was just going to throw it on CL for $200 and call it a day. That's insane.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Throw it on for 200 and call it a hour.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mail me the wheel for $10 and call it even

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about this, I send you the wheel and $10, then you send me $400. You save ten bucks!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

Jesus. I was just going to throw it on CL for $200 and call it a day. That's insane.

It seems like it varies a lot for whatever reason. I actually originally sold it a few weeks ago for like $260 + shipping to some person who never paid. I don't know if there are like none around now or if some guy is using racing wheels to launder money or what.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
until a sim implements inconsistent windshield wiping due to old rubber on glass i just really don't know how the devs expect me to ever take their cartoon videogames seriously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dodgy windshield wipers? What is this arcade crap?

I only pay attention when the sim can control a space heater to accurately replicate the sensation of roasting inside a flame retardant suit. It also needs a hydraulic rollcage to accurately depict climbing into the car I am about to drive.

And it needs a captive bolt pistol aimed at my head to give me a concussion when I hit armco.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
you might appreciate my sim setup (WIP!!1):

http://imgur.com/lyzvWI8.webm

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kilonum posted:

EDIT: A true sperg would have a separate display projecting onto the HUD for more relism

EDIT2: http://viperwing.com/#full-F-16-simulator

Hmm… that actually seems to have enough buttons to fully map everything in Elite Dangerous. :D

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

rFactor 2 December dev update, the comeback of the century looks to be on.

- New build on Tuesday, the first Steam only build. Improved oval racing rules and a load of bug fixes mostly.
- DX11 development is ahead of schedule and the first test builds are gonna go out to modders fairly soon.
- First look at the new UI, it looks pretty bland but lightyears ahead of what it is now.

- Radical SR8 is coming early next year.
- Corvette C7R will also be up next year.
- NOLA out next year, will come with all 5 layouts and 5 kart layouts as well.
- THE ONLINE PASS IS BEING KILLED TO DEATH AND NUKED FROM ORBIT and there's also going to be a decent discount on the game during the Christmas Steam Sale.

Somehow rF2 is being turned around, I can't believe it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I might actually play some rfactor2. Out of all the modern Sims I've out the put the least amount of time in to it (the old UI was loving awful) . But if those oval changes are any good, that might change.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general
Very exciting! rFactor 2 is my favourite sim for just driving, I think it feels great. Now maybe I can finally join a online league...

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

- THE ONLINE PASS IS BEING KILLED TO DEATH AND NUKED FROM ORBIT

So RF2 is just going to be a straightforward old fashioned buy2play model?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, if you own rF2 you can play it online. I don't know when that's coming in but I'm assuming with the update on Tuesday.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
This is the best thing they could have done for RF2. That lifetime pass poo poo was mad dumb considering that you always felt short changed by ISI's content.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Finally got my T300 working after coming from a G27. Man, this thing is nice. People say that a nicer wheel doesn't make you faster but drat is this thing smooth. It allows me to focus on the pedals more since I don't have to fight the wheel so much. Also it's much easier to catch slides now, holy poo poo. Imma start drifting more. :whatup:

Need to get the shifter and pedals working next since I'm still using the G27 stuff.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Finally got my T300 working after coming from a G27. Man, this thing is nice. People say that a nicer wheel doesn't make you faster but drat is this thing smooth. It allows me to focus on the pedals more since I don't have to fight the wheel so much. Also it's much easier to catch slides now, holy poo poo. Imma start drifting more. :whatup:

Need to get the shifter and pedals working next since I'm still using the G27 stuff.

Yeah stepping up to belt drive from gear-driven is p naice. No deadzones makes catching slides and fine steering control much easier to pull off, and it helps that the motors in the T300 are really strong. The only thing ive had come close to maxing out the wheel is iracing, it nearly ripped the wheel out of my hand when I splatted into the outside wall at 200mph. As it was one of the monitors fell off the back of my computer desk.

I cant imagine how much stronger direct-drive setups are.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

no bones about it posted:

Yeah stepping up to belt drive from gear-driven is p naice. No deadzones makes catching slides and fine steering control much easier to pull off, and it helps that the motors in the T300 are really strong. The only thing ive had come close to maxing out the wheel is iracing, it nearly ripped the wheel out of my hand when I splatted into the outside wall at 200mph. As it was one of the monitors fell off the back of my computer desk.

I cant imagine how much stronger direct-drive setups are.

What settings do you use in iRacing? I turned up the FFB in the Thrustmaster config to 100% and Damping to 0%, and in iRacing I think I did min force ~13%, linear, and about 10-13 for the FFB strength. I tried using the auto setting for FFB in iRacing and it was so drat strong I had to turn it down.

Edit: Sounds like I should try minforce around 1% and maybe even turn down the FFB in the Thrustmaster config to 60-65% and then redo my per car FFB. Need to play around with it more.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I did 75% force in the Thrustmaster panel with 2% min force when I had my TX. Same basic wheel as the 300.

Per car ffb is easy now. Just hit the auto button after a couple laps.