Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

w00tmonger posted:

hahaha what the gently caress. Just went to check out vampire models for inspiration and saw the price of these bat-bro's

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Fell-Bats

can anyone explain that to me? 60 cana-dollars

Looks like GW is trying to remind Mantic that they've got the "shittily sculpted models" market cornered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

WARLORD GAMES OBTAIN 2000 AD MINIATURES LICENCE
December 14, 2016

Warlord Games is to produce a new line of miniatures and games based on the legendary British comic book, 2000 AD.

The worldwide licence covers miniatures games, scenery and collectable miniatures sets based on series and characters from weekly comic, which is the home of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Nemesis the Warlock, and a whole galaxy of characters from over 40 years.

Game development and designs are in the very early stages but initial plans are for a game based on the world of Strontium Dog, the popular futuristic Wild West-style series where mutated humans such as Johnny Alpha are forced to become bounty hunters.

Paul Sawyer, Head of Product Design at Warlord Games, says “Many of us at Warlord are ardent 2000 AD fans so the chance to take on a licence to work with the stories we grew up with and continue to avidly enjoy was something of a dream come true. We have many ideas to bring the wonderful stories from our favourite strips – old and new – to the tabletop and work had begun in earnest to do justice (pun intended) to Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Flesh, Slaine, Kingdom and many of their sister strips. If a mere Earthlet might dare to quote The Mighty Tharg, this is going to be scrotnig!”.

Keith Richardson, licensing manager for 2000 AD, said: “Knowing how many of the Warlord staff are fans of 2000 AD and seeing the wonderful craftsmanship in their work has me really excited. Together I’m positive that we will produce some truly zarjaz games!”

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amazing.

For those that don't know, 2000AD heavily influenced the earliest development of 40k, and Citadel at one time had the license to make Judge Dredd miniatures, among others. Adeptus Arbites are just Judge Dredd with the serial numbers filed off.

And since the 2000AD property unambiguously predates Warhammer, there isn't a goddamn thing GW can do (legally) about Warlord making minis that are dead ringers for Adeptus Arbites, etc.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

There are people using the word "aelves" without a hint of irony or shame, holy poo poo

You know I could probably tolerate playing a single game of aos just to take my dwarf dollies for a spin again but I absolutely refuse to use the idiot copyright names and I know I'll get salty as gently caress if I get corrected constantly by some spergo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like there might be one or more other games you could use your dwarf dollies in?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, I hear D&D 5e has dwarves. You could probably use em there.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like there might be one or more other games you could use your dwarf dollies in?

there are no dwarves in x-wing silly

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So in case you've missed the comedy/sadness goldmine that is the official Warhammer twitch.tv stream, they've been playing AoS games for like the last 6 hours. With live loving commentary. It's goddamn awful.

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, they've played approximately 1.3 games so far?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm so loving hype for a Dredd minis game

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
why is it called a Narrative Game?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola posted:

You forge your own narrative for your Lightningbolt Goldmen.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moola posted:

Considering all aos games forge a narrative, it's just describing the end product. Kind of like how we call the Mortuary Factory that because it makes Mortuaries (maybe)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL Twitch says I have to pay money for a subscription in order to say things in the chat.

I was going to complain that he should be overlapping the bases on his guys to get them closer

e. people in the channel bitching that the skaven aren't painted well enough, jesus christ

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 14, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
but like, what is a tournament narrative game?

are the winners the ones who make the best story?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wasn't there already a Dredd minis game that Warlord was selling?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

LOL Twitch says I have to pay money for a subscription in order to say things in the chat.

I was going to complain that he should be overlapping the bases on his guys to get them closer

Yeah submode is a thing for twitch chats which makes sense in some scenarios, like if they don't want monkey emotes spammed whenever they focus on the black sigmar priest, for example

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moola posted:

There are no tournaments in aos since tournaments are for waacers

We have narrative forge-offs

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

hahaha what the gently caress. Just went to check out vampire models for inspiration and saw the price of these bat-bro's

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Vampire-Counts-Fell-Bats

can anyone explain that to me? 60 cana-dollars
i actually think this is a joke. not in the usual 'haha wtf guys that has to be a joke' way but I genuinely think someone on the webstore is keeping those fuckawful models at that price for comic effect.

I mean look at this dude from Bushido for £12:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

lol

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Drone posted:

So in case you've missed the comedy/sadness goldmine that is the official Warhammer twitch.tv stream, they've been playing AoS games for like the last 6 hours. With live loving commentary. It's goddamn awful.

If I am understanding this, it's turn one and everyone is already in combat?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have to admit I like the way this is presented, anyway. Good cameras, the commentators clearly know the rules, and they're explaining what's going on.

Of course, in the last 10 minutes they've resolved about four sets of attacks. Not full combats, mind you, just rolls of dice to decide if anyone died.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Moola posted:

narrative games = scenarios, i.e. you have a set army for each side and objectives based on a story from the fluff.

It's one of the three 'game modes' along with free play aka just do whatever the gently caress and matched play aka pitched battles aka points like in a real game.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Stormdfront guy painted his dudes yellow and my brain can't parse them as anything besides Imperial Fists.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

there are no dwarves in x-wing silly
Ugnauts, Gamorreans, or Ewoks.

Moola posted:

L5R sculpted the story based on who won big tournaments.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn't there already a Dredd minis game that Warlord was selling?

Yeah, that game was copublished with Mongoose games. The license owner apparently withdrew it from the both of them and turned around and signed Warlords exclusively.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Drone posted:

They also have one-click bundles on the webstore for all the armies used in these now. :psyduck:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Saint Drogo posted:

They also have one-click bundles on the webstore for all the armies used in these now. :psyduck:

I mean that makes perfect sense

I have to admit this entire twitch thing is loving genius and if they had a game that wasn't intentionally terrible I probably would be playing it

Edit: i think literally all of their problems would go away if they brought back fantasy (while making it not garbage), retconned the old world back into reality, and kept aos as some idiot skirmish game

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They could even sell rectangular multibases with circular depressions in them so you can easily rank your round-based hams.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I mean that makes perfect sense

I have to admit this entire twitch thing is loving genius and if they had a game that wasn't intentionally terrible I probably would be playing it

Edit: i think literally all of their problems would go away if they brought back fantasy (while making it not garbage), retconned the old world back into reality, and kept aos as some idiot skirmish game
Agreed. All Age of Sigmar had to be was a skirmish offshoot of WHFB and things would've been fine. No need to kill the main setting/line. They should've put out a 9th edition with AoS alongside as a skirmish-level game with a low barrier of entry. The AoS background, such as it is, would have to be tweaked to fit, of course. Instead, here we are.

I'll also give them credit for the twitch channel. The presentation is solid, it's the game that sucks. I'm curious about the studio interviews tomorrow and I'll give the 40k stream a shot on Friday though I'm expecting it to be noting but formation-based garbage.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Since I know it was talked about a little earlier in the thread, do consider backing what is likely to be a Good Game, as opposed to AoS which is Ungood: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9?ref=nav_search

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

NTRabbit posted:

All 100% of the WW2 games are anti-Soviet though
Not so! In Chain of Command, the Soviets are pretty good. Their infantry is a little bit unwieldy (Soviet doctrine treated the squad as the smallest unit of fire-and-maneuver, rather than fireteams within a squad like the other armies), but their tanks are good and their artillery barrages are loving awesome. They also have the cheapest sniper teams in the game, again reflecting the importance Soviet doctrine placed on sharpshooters.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Since I know it was talked about a little earlier in the thread, do consider backing what is likely to be a Good Game, as opposed to AoS which is Ungood: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9?ref=nav_search

looking forward to the Ther Ide

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

Not so! In Chain of Command, the Soviets are pretty good. Their infantry is a little bit unwieldy (Soviet doctrine treated the squad as the smallest unit of fire-and-maneuver, rather than fireteams within a squad like the other armies), but their tanks are good and their artillery barrages are loving awesome. They also have the cheapest sniper teams in the game, again reflecting the importance Soviet doctrine placed on sharpshooters.

We found that mechanized soviet platoons are pretty great in like 1941, since they are small (-3 or -4), while they meet huge German platoons at that time (up to +4). That means they get a ton of support points to play with, and a "free" T-34 is a huge boon compared to yet another squad of infantry.

Oh, and their tanks poo poo all over german tanks and anti-tank guns in 1941, just as expected. :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pyrolocutus posted:

It's already funded and hit its stretch and social media goals so that's cool

I backed at the 160 dollar level. I want that giant model

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The first stretch goal btw was upgrading all the rulebooks for backers to hardcover

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

It's just an improv spoken-word open mic night by any other name.

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 14, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing a game where you each had a hand of cards with story elements on them, and you had to tell a coherent story without stopping that included things on your cards so you could lay them down, but if you said something on someone elses' card they could cut in and take over. Or you could get stuck in a plot hole and have to pass the story to the next person.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

goatface posted:

I remember playing a game where you each had a hand of cards with story elements on them, and you had to tell a coherent story without stopping that included things on your cards so you could lay them down, but if you said something on someone elses' card they could cut in and take over. Or you could get stuck in a plot hole and have to pass the story to the next person.

The sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've played that game, it's called Once Upon a Time.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1234/once-upon-time-storytelling-card-game

Unfortunately, the game is easy to break if you play to WAAC. You can shoehorn your entire hand into a couple of sentences, if you're willing to be absurd about the details of the story. But if everyone's on board with the story elements in your hand needing to make some kind of sense and not just be shoved in as extraneous detail, it works.

• Locked thread