Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rodatose posted:

six sides but four walls

LOL if your job isn't so crushing that it pushes your spirit out of your body through the bottom of the cubicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

LOL if your job isn't so crushing that it pushes your spirit out of your body through the bottom of the cubicle

your job is to listen to kanye west songs?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
yes what hollismason said, my job is so crushing that my spirit is exuded as a thick creeping fluid. anyway i am determined to put in my six months because any less than that looks poo poo on a resume, which means i have two months to go which i will hopefully survive or else my spirit will become a small charred and crumpled piece of aluminium that absorbs all light

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Volkerball posted:

She lost because she was bought and paid for running against a guy who presented himself as too rich to be bought and paid for.

She lost because she surrounds herself with loyal morons and traps herself in echo chambers.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

your job is to listen to kanye west songs?

what Is the worst kanye song oh vb

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hollismason posted:

If the book isn't entitled " How to lose a election" then I will be disappointed because it seems she lost just because of sheer arrogance and egoism which is strange considerin who she was running against.

Considering that every model, poll, and conventional wisdom has said it was a lock for the better part of a year I'm not sure I can blame them tbh.

Hell any mention in the here that it'd be less than a Clinton win was referred to as arzying

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
there's a crack, a crack in everything

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Avshalom posted:

there's a crack, a crack in everything

:butt:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my boss is a robot who instructs humans on office tasks by just dictating long complex workflows action by action without actually explaining what anything is or how it works, i am literally the first assistant he's ever had to survive more than a month because i can memorise long complex workflows action by action and then figure out as i perform my duties by rote why the program works the way it does so when something goes wrong i can fix it myself rather than having to ask him for help, which is a nightmare every time

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

She lost because she surrounds herself with loyal morons and traps herself in echo chambers.
the echo chambers of the empty human heart

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gin and Juche posted:

Considering that every model, poll, and conventional wisdom has said it was a lock for the better part of a year I'm not sure I can blame them tbh.

Hell any mention in the here that it'd be less than a Clinton win was referred to as arzying

this would have been my stance if their precious model hadn't suggested she would soundly beat bernie in michigan in the primary and then she lost by 1.5%. that might have been a sign not to bet it all on the modeling strategy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

India is not england
:thejoke:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it turns out the engineering department of a coal mine is a hotbed of undiagnosed aspergers, which is infuriating when i need to talk things over with people but also a good thing sometimes like when the incredibly autistic guy in the office next door who thinks he's a spy even though he's obviously not a spy comes in and randomly lectures me about every single variety of water pipe found in our hundred kilometres of tunnel, which department is responsible for them and the demands of their upkeep

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
I only surround myself with people who tell me how bad I suck, which is why I post here.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Avshalom posted:

it turns out the engineering department of a coal mine anywhere is a hotbed of undiagnosed aspergers,

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my boss talks in a perfect unbroken monotone all the time and attempts to make polite conversation by asking me weird quasi-invasive questions about my family and then immediately forgetting my answers so he can ask me again the next day, i've told him how old my grandmother is four times now

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Avshalom posted:

my boss talks in a perfect unbroken monotone all the time and attempts to make polite conversation by asking me weird quasi-invasive questions about my family and then immediately forgetting my answers so he can ask me again the next day, i've told him how old my grandmother is four times now

Maybe he is tracking your grandmothers age.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the guy next door is great because he has eyes that point in different directions (like arik!) and as he gets more and more animated about pipes and conveyor belts he starts dancing around and his eyeballs drift further and further apart

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Hollismason posted:

I will probably never work in an office, much less a cube

Gonna have varicose veins probably though

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
*hyperventilates*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm sick and I don't have sick leave :(

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gin and Juche posted:

quote:

Everybody could see Hillary Clinton was cooked in Iowa. So when, a week-and-a-half out, the Service Employees International Union started hearing anxiety out of Michigan, union officials decided to reroute their volunteers, giving a desperate team on the ground around Detroit some hope.

They started prepping meals and organizing hotel rooms.

SEIU — which had wanted to go to Michigan from the beginning, but been ordered not to — dialed Clinton’s top campaign aides to tell them about the new plan. According to several people familiar with the call, Brooklyn was furious.

Turn that bus around, the Clinton team ordered SEIU. Those volunteers needed to stay in Iowa to fool Donald Trump into competing there, not drive to Michigan, where the Democrat’s models projected a 5-point win through the morning of Election Day.

Michigan organizers were shocked. It was the latest case of Brooklyn ignoring on-the-ground intel and pleas for help in a race that they felt slipping away at the end.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hollismason posted:

that's sick, dude

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

what Is the worst kanye song oh vb

i'd heard enough at gold digger

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

that doesn't serve my interests, so that's not how it went down.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I'm sick as well and I have leave, but I have too many things to do that I can't hand off to take it. Life is cruel.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i also don't have sick leave because i'm technically a temp casual on a two-week contract that just happens to be indefinitely renewed at 40 hours a week and the one time i took two days off the temp agency threatened to fire me, which is very illegal in australia but "temp" is a word of power, like "intern", that makes all rules and regulations magically disappear

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Avshalom posted:

LOL. This guy is using my social skills!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Avshalom posted:

i also don't have sick leave because i'm technically a temp casual on a two-week contract that just happens to be indefinitely renewed at 40 hours a week and the one time i took two days off the temp agency threatened to fire me, which is very illegal in australia but "temp" is a word of power, like "intern", that makes all rules and regulations magically disappear

i am 100% certain that this is illegal af and you should talk to your union about it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've been told that if I use all my sick leave it looks bad so don't do it or HR will look for a reason to fire me.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

like, there may not be much actual opportunity for redress, but that kind of poo poo is seriously basic labour legislation and illegal in countries such as cambodia

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
For awhile I was so bad that people said "are you serious" and I would say "oh did I ask you that before, sorry" and be right most every time. It can happen when the genuinely and extremely incurious attempt to act like a human being, but don't attempt hard enough.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
Union, lol.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've been told that if I use all my sick leave it looks bad so don't do it or HR will look for a reason to fire me.

it depends. it certainly can look bad, but if you're legitimately hosed up the hr gods will take pity on you. 9/10 times when somebody is calling in sick all the drat time it's because they are lazy and have super flimsy excuses for it tho.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aeryk posted:

I only surround myself with people who tell me how bad I suck, which is why I post here.

sounds like something an idiot would do

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
My place does pay out pto at the end of the year, so that's super nice

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i've got a real bad headache, i can't come in today

are you going to the doctor?

no, it's not that bad. just...can't work... bad

is that house music in the background?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's part of compensation so the reason why is irrelevant and also relative wrt what people consider "sick." I didn't take joy days regardless but it did have the consequence of making me not give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

V. Illych L. posted:

like, there may not be much actual opportunity for redress, but that kind of poo poo is seriously basic labour legislation and illegal in countries such as cambodia
it will also get me fired and even if anything happens to the agency (which it won't) the ombudsman won't compensate me for the wages i lost for demanding basic rights or the resulting huge gap on my resume (i am desperate to hold a position for the magic six months because my previous six months were also a resume gap, i was working full-time but had to leave because my bosses were neo-nazis who thought chinese people were literally a different species and kept accusing me of stealing from them with absolutely no basis and then refused to give me a reference.)

i just use the tried and tested method of bursting into tears, claiming a migraine and manipulating my boss's fear of the human emotion, i've only done it once but it worked like a charm and i intend to leverage it as much as necessary to get me through the next eight weeks

• Locked thread