Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First Dog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Les Affaires posted:

Hi guys, I have a request for all and sundry. I'm looking for people to share their experiences in employment in Australia, ranging from having, losing, looking for, regaining and keeping it. I'm interested in stories good and bad, but only if you're comfortable about posting it. In particular I'm interested in how your interaction with Centrelink and Job Services Australia have either helped or hampered (both?) your job search.

I also want to know whether you have tried for jobs that aren't "ideal" for you but still something to tide you over before getting a job you prefer.

This is part of a discussion I am having with my wife about the barriers to employment for Australians, and in general I think it's good to highlight these things from time to time anyway.

If you could also include how long you were unemployed for and which part of Australia you were/are living in, that would help too.

Thanks!

I'll chime in on this, not to invalidate anyone else's experience but maybe to give people who might be facing unemployment - particularly people eligible for the DSP - a bit of hope (before it is crushed under the heel of our capitalist overlords, anyway).

My first job was a nightmare. I was still in high school and was working 3 hours a day on Fridays and weekends at an IGA that no longer exists. The store manager screamed at me, in front of customers, on at least two occasions that I remember, over completely minor things. I barely got any training and was horrendously unprepared for what was actually expected of me. After a few months, right before my probation period ran out, I got handed an official termination notice to sign. Until now I'd received no official warnings, retraining or even any sign (other than the screaming) that I wasn't doing my job well.

After a meeting with the state HR manager for IGA I decided I really didn't want to work in retail - and, though I never admitted it, I never wanted to work again. She recommended I go talk to Centrelink about Disability Support Pension and being put in touch with disability employment services. I got in touch with and worked for about a year with an agency called Access, but nothing really came of the whole thing because I was terrified of having to work another job like the one I'd been fired from. It didn't help that my case manager had a nervous breakdown and went into therapy, and then I was seeing a new case manager each appointment. Eventually I just kind of stopped showing up and for some reason nobody bothered to chase me up and make me follow through on my participation requirements. For nearly 6 years. I slipped through the cracks.

Towards the end of 2014 I got a notice from Centrelink telling me to come in for a Job Capacity Assessment. For 6 years I had been receiving DSP, living with my parents and not really looking for work. The first time I'd gotten an assessment I'd gone in with my mother and she'd done most of the talking. I was 17 at the time. Now I was 23, and I decided to go in alone and just be honest with the assessor. The conversation went something along the lines of: "I had a poo poo experience with work and now I'm terrified of getting a job, I haven't even looked for like 6 years, the requirements have changed so much and I have absolutely no marketable skills." "Well, I certainly see some barriers to getting a job, but I think if you get your anxiety treated you'll do just fine in the workforce." "...What anxiety?" "...You should probably go talk to your psych."

I discovered I had an undiagnosed, untreated anxiety disorder. One which had been so obvious to everyone around me that they had assumed I was already aware of it. Once I actually started getting treatment, getting a job seemed trivial, even with no skills. While I was getting treated I started attending appointments with an agency called Breakthru. They seemed better than Access, particularly since I was starting to overcome my fear of re-entering the workforce, but getting to them required using public transport (since they had no parking nearby), and like Access I was seeing a new case manager basically every other week. Once again I stopped showing up, and again for a little while nobody bothered to chase me up. Eventually my next participation review was due at Centrelink, and they made it clear that not attending appointments wasn't an option. I asked if I could change agencies, since I was having difficulty getting to Breakthru, and the guy almost couldn't believe I'd asked him the question. "Did they not tell you? You can change agencies any time you like! They get paid a lot of money for you to participate, if one's not working out just go to another one. It's like voting with your wallet! Here let me print out all the nearby agencies and you can pick one you like." I ended up going with Help Enterprises, a fairly old and established JSA here in Brisbane, with a bit of a weird reputation. Half the people you talk to say it's the best JSA you'll ever go to and half say they're the worst they've ever tried. I fall in the former group, although I've also been incredibly lucky both with my case managers and circumstances.

The first couple of months were rocky. My first case manager transferred out after two weeks, and I was stuck with a 'temporary' case manager for the next six. During that time however I decided I wanted to be a locksmith. Nobody there had any idea what it took to become a locksmith, and they'd certainly never helped anyone get into the industry, but they seemed keen to do what they could. I did some research on my own and found that becoming a locksmith requires an apprenticeship, and it's a fairly tight-knit industry so they only come up rarely. Around this time I got a new case manager, who stuck with me for almost a full year before she moved on to better things. We got along famously and she helped me apply for a lot of jobs, not all of which were relevant but all of which I would have been happy to do until I could get an apprenticeship. Unfortunately not much came from any of these but I was happy with how things were going. At times I was asked if I wanted to join in on some things like resume workshops and various skill training courses along the way, but if I declined no further pressure was put on me to join in, and in general it felt like my participation beyond the minimum was entirely my own decision.

Somewhere along the way I was asked to participate in a new program the government was trialling. They wanted 200 participants all up and they preferred people who had an idea of what kind of job they wanted. I put my hand up and went to a few meetings about it. The gist of it was that rather than give the agencies a bunch of money to spend however they wanted, some of the money ($5000 all up) would be put aside for the participant to choose how they wanted it to be spent. Every purchase would, of course, have to be justified as being necessary for work, but the idea was to give the participant more discretionary spending instead of leaving it all up to the agency. I ended up becoming part of the program (the Youth Mental Health Pilot Program, I think it was called) and met with the Mental Health Co-ordinator of Help Enterprises in Brisbane. He was (and is) an incredibly friendly, compassionate and caring person and his goal was to get every participant to spend as much of that $5000 as possible, since it was only offered for one financial year. I ended up getting my car serviced, interview and work clothes, the full cost of a pre-vocational locksmithing course covered at TAFE, a security licence, a white card and various other odds and ends paid for by the program. I don't think I'd be where I am without it and I seriously hope some bean counter looks at it and considers it a success, because if it's handled properly it would bring back most of the good points of the nationalised JSAs.

I got a new case manager just before I started the TAFE course. She's someone who's been in the industry a long time, before it was privatised, and certainly knows her way around things. She taught me how to look for opportunities in places I'd never have expected to find them, and got me to look at applying for "non-ideal" jobs in a different way, her rationale being that it's easier to get a job when you're already employed. Even so I told her that I'd rather do unpaid work that I enjoyed than paid work I hated, and she encouraged me to look into volunteering, so I did. Best decision of my life, by the way. Help even ended up being the ones who found my current job for me - one of the 'marketers' (the guys who actually talk to the employers) called me out of the blue and asked me if I'd be interested in a casual job working the counter at a locksmith's shop - one I never even knew existed. He warned me that there were no guarantees of an apprenticeship, but they were interested in my skills. I went in and nailed the interview so hard that they actually apologised for not having the paperwork ready so I could start immediately, and things have been going pretty well since.

Sorry if there's too much personal stuff in there but I wanted to share a bit, because there are definitely still success stories going on even in the current, broken-rear end system, and I'm really chuffed at the way I've been treated since I started working with Help. They've been really flexible with appointments, especially when I was doing things like the TAFE course, volunteering, work trials etc. One time I got a bit frustrated with how an appointment was going and was stressed with how things were going in my life, and ended up walking out. They arranged mediation almost immediately and we talked out some of the concerns I had and they addressed them without ever making me feel like my concerns were invalid. Overall if you can get kickass case managers in a kickass agency like I did then they will move mountains to help you succeed. Unfortunately the bad agencies and apathetic case managers far outweigh the good ones, and the system rewards them the same.

ed: thread is still active, go to bed, drat

Makrond fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 14, 2016

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Recoome posted:

Apparently (and allegedly), the cost per unit goes down as time goes on, and previous estimates may have been done under the assumption that the cost would not decrease.
Without detailed working out, this runs contrary to the recent history of the F-15, 16, or 18. Later poduction units got more tech crammed into them which more than offset any economies of scale, which is the case for the F-35 too. Plus nothing's had design costs balloon like the F-35 since the F-111.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Inner West of Melbourne. Left school with the intention of working for a year, getting declared independent and then going to uni. I struggled to find meaningful work anywhere except for the MCG, which employed me as a pieboy throughout this period. Started uni and left that job for a part time one at a local bottleshop (2 shifts a weekend, maximum of 3 hours so no break time).

Left uni looking for work in my field (Media), failed miserably for about 2 years. I was on the dole for about 2 months at the very beginning of this period, but after 2 months the JSA insisted that I sit around for 8 hours a day 4 days a week being taught how to write a resume over and over. I got off the dole by not turning up and ignoring their phone calls.

Somehow eeked out a living doing odd video editing jobs between 07 and 09. Eventually got a full time job. Though it was tangentially media related, it was basically 8 hours a day of data entry. I toughed it out for 2 years until I quit. Was on dole for 3 months in early 2012, but again the JSA brick wall appeared. My officer decided that I was well qualified and didn't need any help so just ignored me until they started insisting 8 hour day resume writing festivals again. There was never any attempt to retrain or provide new skills. They literally just shoved people in front of computers and said 'apply for anything on seek', which I presume was the bare minimum required for them to collect a fee for 'training' me.

I went off the dole again, and repeated the cycle of more terrible odd video editing jobs. I am extremely depressed at this point and am spending most of my time playing video games, with no real hope for the future. I have no faith in any employment scheme anywhere. I had spent years of submitting hundreds of applications and attending interviews for almost nothing in return, to positions both inside and outside of my trained industry. The closest I got to a job worth having was a position at Tourism Victoria, where I attended 3 interviews before they told me that they had decided not to create the position after all.

Dota 2 saved me. Dota loving 2.

In about August 2012, after months of sitting on my arse doing nothing but churning through the hellscape that is Australian Dota pub community (MilkyMoore is a rager btw), Steam introduced marketable items to the game and I started trading them for steam currency. 5c at a time to begin with, a dollar a day. Nothing really. Then they started introducing merchandise (tshirts) that came with 'electronic items' that sold for more than the retail purchase price on the merchandise. I started importing that stuff en masse from the U.S. I also got in a bunch of heavily discounted mid range headphones from Amazon (not game related) at the same time to see how they would do on ebay. They did well. I got more. Then I noticed people started trading steam stuff for BTC, so around this time the Bitcoin trading got started. So by mid 2013 I'm running this crazy medley of online revenue streams. I wasn't making a heap, but enough to live properly. Enough to rent, date, and go out. Enough to believe I can save and build a future.

In mid 2014 I started ubering. Best job I every had. I got to play real life crazy taxi for cash 5 nights a week for *excellent* pay. No boss. No bullshit. I could work when I needed at times that suited me. Continued until mid 2015 when uber dropped the effective rates of pay from 40$+ an hour after expenses to 15$~ or so. They are a bad employer and the 'sole trader' loophole needs to be slammed shut hard. Lots of immigrants are being exploited under a bad debt. Consider tipping your uber driver until a not horrible government fixes the law.

I used the uber money to expand the online operations and I now pretty much just work trading all sorts of crap over the internet. Some vidyo games, some BTC, some steam crap, and a lot of poo poo on ebay (I had one bad venture on airbnb earlier this year but that wasn't too bad - it just meant I had to live in a CBD apartment for a year. The horror).

The constant stream of rejection and failure, coupled with the stigma of unemployment, made me into a lesser person. I have not submitted a job application to anything in three years and I will never do so again. I will do literally anything to avoid wasting any more time trying to fit into a workforce that never wanted me to begin with. Maybe if I was more charming or better connected, it would be a different life, but that's not me. gently caress regular employment.

Centerlink were perfectly fine to deal with once you got on their system. Before that, and on any occasions where your details needed to be changed, it was murder. Never tell centerlink when your circumstances change imo unless it really affects your payment. It will be a living hell. JSA were beyond useless. You would be far better off joining a church group/footy club/any community organization that you can contribute to because someone there is far more likely to provide you a solid employment prospect than the useless hacks at JSA. Shut them all down and redirect the money into other parts of social services, or use the money for whatever the hell budget repair looks like, or more overweight dogfighters, or tax cuts for billionaires, anything but this misbegotten poo poo.

EDIT - I left a lot out but I'm sure you can imagine the cavalcade of crappy jobs I didn't include on the list.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 14, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I've had two interactions with Centrelink (or whatever they were called) both were laughable.

Post high school had some clown tell me they could get me an IT job in rural Victoria. Deciding to gently caress that idea I hustled my way into a TAFE course, packed up my stuff and moved to Melbourne which was a big call back in the day.

Once in Melbourne I visited Centrelink and wandered around the partitions of job cards which were bullshit commission only scams or worse. It was a dead end. I worked my way into supermarket, warehouse and labouring jobs.

Never had to rely on Centrelink or a JSA and I'm pretty happy about that.

Willing to elaborate on some of your other points but I don't want to waste anyone's time or you might just like me to get hosed.

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 14, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hiddenmovement posted:

Ah, I might bump into you at 'The International' next year?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hiddenmovement posted:

In about August 2012, after months of sitting on my arse doing nothing but churning through the hellscape that is Australian Dota pub community (MilkyMoore is a rager btw),

:eyepop:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hiddenmovement posted:

January thread title, thanks.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Recoome posted:

:siren:Disclaimer: I'm not in favour of the F-35:siren:

A really cool hot-take I have is that the cost of the F-35 is now to the point where it's not much more expensive than an F/A-18, and although I can't give you my source, it's a pretty good source.

My observation is that Defence doesn't want to challenge the negative PR regarding the F-35 because you don't want to have the perception of a super-fighter like the F-22. Interestingly, the Russians did this with the MiG-25/MiG-31 and it backfired spectacularly, as the Americans ended up developing a fighter which had the stats of the hyped plane. A practical Australian example in this case is the Collins-class subs, which are actually quite good.

Like I really think we spend our money in the wrong places, and the F-35 is probably one of those places but I hope that this provides like an alternate hot take to the F-35 bad thing.

Are you talking about purchase of new F/A-18 airframes or upgrading existing airframes to meet Hornet Upgrade Program (HUP) levels? Because I'm quite certain that HUP costs would be dwarfed by the planned procurement and support costs involved with Australia actually procuring the predicted 100 F-35 airframes which they've apparently ordered.

It's well worth mentioning how disproportionate Australia's buy-in on the JSF program is compared to other countries. Other countries at both Level 3 and Level 2 partner levels have avoided massive commitment in order to evaluate equivalent competing airframes (e.g. Eurofighter Typhoon). Instead Australia literally just rolled-over and started licking Lockheed Martin's balls.

Of course all of this is entirely academic because Australia does not need an airframe like the F-35 for sovereign air defence. The sea-air gap provides an incredible amount of security and effectively prevents anything other than a carrier from launching missions into Australian airspace. Any other reason to possess an airframe like the F-35 is entirely offensive and antagonistic. Maintaining sovereignty is a somewhat appreciable concept but possession of weapon systems for offensive purposes indicates a stupid af shift in foriegn policy. Ofc if the strategy is to develop the entrenchment of the military-industrial complex in Australia then they are definitely going about it the right way.

Basically the whole thing is a big huge piece of poo poo and Australia would be better off either buying S-400 SAM complexes from Russia or the eventual export variant of the X-47 (Which btw will piss all over the skies for the next 20 years).

Edit: also submarines are dumb as hell.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 14, 2016

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Off-topic: can someone repost that bayonet stabbing anti-fascist poster? It owns but I also need it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Les Affaires posted:

Hi guys, I have a request for all and sundry. I'm looking for people to share their experiences in employment in Australia, ranging from having, losing, looking for, regaining and keeping it. I'm interested in stories good and bad, but only if you're comfortable about posting it. In particular I'm interested in how your interaction with Centrelink and Job Services Australia have either helped or hampered (both?) your job search.

I also want to know whether you have tried for jobs that aren't "ideal" for you but still something to tide you over before getting a job you prefer.

This is part of a discussion I am having with my wife about the barriers to employment for Australians, and in general I think it's good to highlight these things from time to time anyway.

If you could also include how long you were unemployed for and which part of Australia you were/are living in, that would help too.

Thanks!

Yo, been with Octec in Canberra for about two months, had two appointments where the promise was a job trial. both times I got told to leave, because no such job existed. Then the case worker offered tax funded grants to the employer to employ me, for a menial labour job that doesn't exist.

You'd think a parasite industry who sucks from the job market would be the tiniest bit economically literate

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

cheese-cube posted:

Off-topic: can someone repost that bayonet stabbing anti-fascist poster? It owns but I also need it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Nice! tyvm

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My story with unemployment is more comedy than tragedy, but:

I was unemployed for about four months at the start of the year while studying part time and it was poo poo. At the start I was applying for jobs that were either unskilled or in my field, but by the end I was throwing down for everything. After the first month looking for jobs I made the silly decision to go to Centrelink because I was under the mistaken impression they help people find work. I filled out my details and all that and got told to attend a meeting the next day. Upon arriving at the agency I got told that their services were only for people who were receiving payments, of which I hadn't actually applied for in the first place. I did get a printout of some local job search engines but that was the extent of that. One of the more frustrating experiences was applying for hospitality "jobs", getting accepted for "interviews" and then turning up to a recruitment for a hospitality training company while they try and rope you into doing a cert no. in whatever. That is bullshit, especially when getting to the stage of an interview seems pretty rare for entry level jobs. Anyway, I got a super important text from Centrelink saying that I needed to be by my phone at a certain time, where a terse lady explained that I wouldn't be receiving payments.... which I never applied for.

Looking back at the job applications I submitted, it includes process worker, customer service, data entry, quality control, warehousing, retail positions etc.

Then I finally got a job at a servo and it owns bones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I got retrenched in 2012, went to Centrelink about a month in but was told I wouldn't get any payments for a while because of my payout. So that was useless. Few months later I found a job, then five days in I got leukemia and had to quit. Spent six weeks in hospital before moving back down to NSW to live with the family so they could take care of me, all the while getting doctor's certificates and sending them to Centrelink.

About six months in I think I'm doing okay and decide to look for a job. Centrelink throw me over to Global Skills, who are insanely bad. I gave them what is generally agreed upon by people I've shown it, a good resume, and they took it, seemingly stripped any useful information out of it and re-printed it on a dot-matrix Apple II printer and put that in my file. My second meeting with them was with a staff member, at let's say 11AM. I got there at 15m to, they said to just use a computer to look for stuff while I wait. The person who I was meant to see walks out at 20 past, says to the clerk "I'm going for lunch, be back in an hour" and leaves. I left shortly after that, without saying a word.

Shortly after that I had an anemic episode and broke my foot on the toilet base and decided that I wasn't doing all that okay after all and applied for disability. Had the interview with the third party person, who was pretty understanding and didn't think there'd be any issue. Then I got a letter saying I'd been denied disability. Then the next day I got a disability pension card in the mail, and a notice saying my next report date was a year away.

A year later, I get a call from Octec asking why I hadn't come in for my meeting. Turns out that Centrelink gave them my old QLD address, despite having my NSW one when they sent the DSP stuff to me. They took a look at me and said "Yeah..I don't think you're ready for work yet", so I ended up doing a diploma of SysAdmin at TAFE for a while, and now I'm jobseeking, though I still feel like hot trash most days.

Octec are..well, this branch at least is pretty understanding at least. I don't really feel like I'm any closer to actually getting employment, but they aren't grotesque shitlords like most of the JSAs in this town seem to be.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

So it's public knowledge that I'm a university student, and I always have a casual job as a waiter. Centrelink was a right royal pain in the rear end to deal with, right from the outset (with the exception to the person I consulted with, as she was really nice). The form I filled out for student support was weird because I couldn't write anywhere that I changed degrees (only the name actually), which lead to a phone call where I had to explain my situation about three times. Anyway there was more tedious bullshit but then I started getting support so that was nice.

Anyway I told Centrelink that I was going overseas in the middle of the year to study, so there was some extremely tedious bullshit where I'd have to spend hours on the phone to sort the thing out. I was told that I had to be free at a specific time which was during a loving class and then they failed to call, instead they called later which I missed. Anyway a really rad thing was that you have to get your program director to write a special letter saying that I was continuing to study after I came back from overseas, even though I'd already enrolled in all the courses (and nothing actually stops you from just quitting as soon as you get back) so it was just more meaningless poo poo.

I really think the whole system is purposely designed to be as obtuse as possible, and this is supposed to act as a deterrent and a punishment for being poor/disabled/young. I'm an extremely able person and basically it was still a loving pain in the rear end to do, and I have a weird aversion to actually dealing with Centrelink as much as possible.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It begins

quote:

Christmas banners without the ‘C-word’ have been torn down after a minister intervened

Miles Godfrey, The Daily Telegraph

December 15, 2016 12:00am

Sydney is fighting to keep Christmas Christian

BONKERS bureaucrats are trying to kill Christmas by airbrushing the C-word from signs and events in a mad, misguided attempt to avoid offending people.

Flags with the nonsensical slogan “very merry” — avoiding using the word “Christmas” — were torn down in The Rocks yesterday after no-nonsense Finance Minister Dominic Perrottet intervened.

“Very Merry means absolutely nothing to anyone,” Mr Perrottet said.

“When you leave out the one word that matters all you’re left with is a vacuous, bland platitude. It’s nonsense — but it’s an easy fix, and it turns out we didn’t even need a focus group to get the message right. I know it’s a bit out there but we’re going with ‘Merry Christmas’ this year.”

The flags were put up by an agency within the finance department but were ripped down yesterday on Mr Perrottet’s direct orders following a complaint from a taxpayer who said: “Stop spending my money denying an Australian (and world) celebration.”

Where’s Christmas? Banners in Circular Quay that read "Very Merry" only. Picture: John Grainger

The flags are being replaced on Friday with designs proudly emblazoned with “Merry Christmas”. Nearby, a statue of Santa has been erected made from plastic crates and bearing the slogan “Very Merry Crate-mas”.

Hawkesbury Council’s Christmas bash is called a “community appreciation party” but Mayor Mary Lyons-Buckett pointed out she does run a Christmas Mayoral Appeal.

Over at Sydney Airport, signs in the domestic terminal read: “Happy holidays to all, and to all a good flight” — a subversion of the final line from the famous poem A Visit from St Nicholas, popularly known as “The Night Before Christmas”.

The Very Merry banners were torn down yesterday after Finance Minister Dominic Perrottet intervened.

The true line of the poem reads: “Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night”.

Christian Democrat Fred Nile is also livid about the attempts to kill Christmas: “It’s a trend and I’m very angry about it. I don’t want any of this ‘happy holiday’ business.’’

It comes after academics at University of New England tried to claim Santa is a “lie” and advised parents not to tell children about Father Christmas for fear of damaging them. In an example of “elf” and safety gone mad, Dr Kathy McKay and co-author Professor Christopher Boyle suggested parents put kids at risk of trauma by talking about Santa and condemned the idea of a “terrifying” North Pole intelligence agency judging behaviour.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also I am really really sorry to everyone who's been hosed around by JSA's and the system. Like I haven't had to personally experience that because my situation has always been quite good and I have it easy because of my background.

Like it's a really hosed up thing ugh it makes me really sad to hear these stories and I hope that you guys don't get dicked around in the future.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Only one solution for Santa

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I hope Fred Nile gets hit by a Christmas shopping courtesy bus

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

kirbysuperstar posted:

I hope Fred Nile gets hit by a Christmas shopping courtesy bus
Decorated or undecorated? This is important.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This reads like angry old person mad-libs

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
WHAT ELSE BEGINS?

quote:

Goat’s cheese curtain separates a nation growing more divided

BERNARD SALT

My name was again strewn across the media last month, not in relation to smashed avocados but ­because of a term I coined some years ago. As part of the negotiations to secure passage of the Australian Building and Construction Commission bill, senator David ­Leyonhjelm demanded that the ABC and SBS hold public board meetings to improve their connection with Middle Australia. “The ABC and SBS live inside the goat’s cheese curtain,” the senator said. The media correctly ascribed the origin of the term to me and, like smashed avocados and man drought, it has since infiltrated the Australian lexicon.

But what does “the goat’s cheese curtain” mean? About seven years ago I was completing a consulting report for Melbourne’s Footscray-based Vic­toria University when I noticed an outward shift in white-collar jobs. It was almost as if there was an imaginary line pushing inner-city gentrification west from Yarraville and Williamstown. I flippantly called this “the Latte Line” but in a subsequent presentation the term “the goat’s cheese curtain” popped out. It seemed like the right thing to say at the time and it has stuck.

The goat’s cheese curtain separates the two cultures that are ­increasingly dividing our cities. Inside this line live globally connected and, some might say, privileged knowledge workers, which is a variation on US academic Richard Florida’s concept of the creative class.

Beyond this line lives Middle Australia dominated by families and mortgages and commuters and car drivers and others ­engaged in less glamorous service and manufacturing-type jobs. In simple terms, the goat’s cheese curtain is the demarcation line separating the two sides of the culture wars. Hipsters cannot survive in what they consider to be the stale and fetid air of suburbia. Suburban Australians, on the other hand, cannot afford to live — let alone raise a family — in the heady atmosphere that uniquely pertains to life inside the goat’s cheese curtain.

Generally the census is the best way to track the geography of social division although this information is now five years old. ­Another way to track Australia’s social divide is via the Australian Electoral Commission, which publishes voting results by polling booth. Mapping this dataset proves the existence, and the political orientation, of those living inside the goat’s cheese curtain.

At the July federal election 14 million Australians voted at 7000 polling places such as local schools and council halls. The Greens secured about 9 per cent of the primary vote. Unlike the major parties, Greens votes are ­remarkably concentrated and in fact largely fall within the goat’s cheese curtain. The best perspective is provided in Melbourne, where the Greens won the primary vote in 93 polling booths scattered across an area extending between the Yarra River and Bell Street and between Punt Road and Footscray.

Herein lies Melbourne’s goat’s cheese curtain separated from the balance of the metropolitan area by political orientation and social composition. Inside Melbourne’s GCC 74 per cent of households have no children; outside this ­proportion is 54 per cent. Inside the GCC 62 per cent of locals have a university degree; outside the proportion is 41 per cent. ­Inside the GCC 18 per cent of the population work within the public sector; outside this figure is 13 per cent.

But there is another measure that I think even better divides the two cultures of Melbourne. Inside the GCC 33 per cent of the population is atheist; outside this proportion falls to 22 per cent. The godless and the god-fearing live either side of the goat’s cheese curtain. Here is a line that represents a green wall — the Godless Green Wall — that is being held in check by the flow of the Yarra River and by the upright determination of Punt Road. Sadly, St Kilda fell to godlessness long ago.

However, considering the ­location of polling booths where the Greens came second, it is evident that there is a weak point in the green wall. Clearly the wall is being weakened by godless and progressive hipsters at Cremorne, allowing a greenist incursion into the federal seats of Higgins and Kooyong. Maybe not in 2019, but quite possibly in 2022 or 2025.

The polling booth recording the highest proportion of Greens votes in Melbourne is located at Northcote High School, where this party snared 61 per cent of the primary vote. David Leyon­hjelm take note: Melbourne’s Peak Green lies 6km north of the ABC’s headquarters in ­Southbank.

Sydney is different in that the Greens vote is less than in the progressive heartland of Melbourne. Indeed the Greens won the primary vote in just five polling booths across Sydney but came second in 46 places. The weaker-than-Melbourne Greens heartland of Sydney sprawls across the inner city, stretching between Haberfield and Surry Hills and between North Sydney and Marrickville. And just as Punt Road stops the Greens hordes from spilling east in Melbourne, in Sydney the job of containing greenism’s eastern spillage falls to the stoic Eastern Distributor.

The social divide that separates the inner city from the rest of humanity in Melbourne is also evident in Sydney. Almost the same proportions that apply ­inside Melbourne’s Godless Green Wall in terms of social structure also apply inside Sydney’s GGW: 63 per cent have a university ­degree; 77 per cent of households have no children; 33 per cent are atheist. It’s almost as if these two bubbles separated by 900km are drawn from the same green ­genetic material. And yet Melbourne is even more progressed on the progressive spectrum. How can this be?

Melbourne evolved in the 19th century as Australia’s manufacturing and union heartland. The city has a long history of the capital/labour divide. The eight-hour day movement came out of Melbourne in 1856. The Eureka ­Rebellion (1854) came out of Victoria. Sydney’s suburbia is more conservative than Melbourne’s suburbia. It is unlikely that lockout laws, for ­example, would ever be as ­accepted by Melburnians as they are in Sydney.

Whereas 22 per cent of Melburnians outside the Godless Green Wall are atheist, this proportion for Sydney is 17 per cent. In comparison with Melbourne, Sydney is more Catholic, more ethnic, more disjointed (perhaps because of the terrain) than the great flat amorphous mass of metropolitan Melbourne, where values and thinking bleeds seamlessly from Fitzroy to Collingwood to Richmond.

Melbourne’s up-market South Yarra and neighbouring Toorak are home to 31,000 residents in a bold block of conservative free-enterprise values that hugs the southern bank of the Yarra. Sydney’s glitterati is bigger but is splintered into a series of competing forces whose centre is Double Bay (27,000), Vaucluse (13,000) and Woollahra (8000).

Where Sydney is scattered and divided, Melbourne is concen­trated and united. Melbourne is where the culture wars will be played out, not Sydney. Sydney lacks the history and the cultural unification to fight a sustained battle between opposing forces in the culture wars. Sydney might fashionably mimic Melbourne’s green values but it lacks sufficient passion to actually forsake all ­others in any but a few places. Sydney’s Peak Green is a polling place in Australia Street, Camperdown (42 per cent), in the electorate of Grayndler, which is a mere 3km from the ABC headquarters at Ultimo.

New census results available from April next year will provide further evidence of an intra-urban social divide that polling data already confirms every three years. Australia’s biggest cities are morphing into two states sepa­rated by belief as much as politics. The voting patterns evidenced in Sydney and Melbourne are replicated to lesser degrees in other big cities. Whereas Australian ­society was once simply divided between capital and labour and between city and bush, a new divide is emerging.

Some believe that the new divide is accentuated by sections of the media, but I am of the view that the divide is inherently based on the globalisation of knowledge work. The same values that mark the godless communities of Melbourne and Sydney’s Godless Green Wall are evident in similar parts of other global cities.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has called for Australians to "rise up" to defend Christmas against what he calls "political correctness gone mad".

Angered by a talkback radio caller whose grandchild's school eschewed traditional carols for a secular celebration, Mr Dutton said the "vast majority of Australian people want to hear Christmas carols" as we are "a Christian society".

"You make my blood boil with these stories," the Christmas enthusiast told 2GB radio's Ray Hadley. "It is political correctness gone mad and I think people have just had enough of it."

Jim, a constituent of Mr Dutton's Dickson electorate in Queensland, told the station he attended a ceremony at Kedron State High School where there was "not one Christmas carol" and the final song replaced the lyrics of We Wish You A Merry Christmas with "we wish you a happy holiday".

Hadley blamed "left-wing teachers" and the school's principal, whom he wrongly assumed was a woman. "It's insulting, it's demeaning and it's a farce," he said.

Mr Dutton linked the issue to the "Teachers for Refugees" campaign in which many teachers in NSW and Victoria wore t-shirts protesting Australia's offshore detention camps for asylum seekers.

"If they want to conduct these sort of campaigns, do it online or do it in your spare time. Don't bring these sort of views into the minds of young kids," Mr Dutton told 2GB.

"Many of the people, regardless of their religious belief, would be .... happy to enjoy the fact that we celebrate Christmas as a Christian society. It's beyond my comprehension but it has gone too far."

Mr Dutton said the climate of political correctness reminded him of when people were "walking on eggshells" in mid-1990s under Labor prime minister Paul Keating, who elevated social issues such as Indigenous affairs, multiculturalism and inclusiveness.

"People had a gutful of it and I think we're back to the same stage now, and I think we need to rise up against it. People need to speak against it as they are," he said.

"Because the vast majority of Australian people want to hear Christmas carols. They want their kids to be brought up in a normal environment and they don't want to be lectured to by do-gooders who frankly don't practice what they preach in any case."

Fairfax Media has contacted the principal of Kedron State High School, Joseba Larrazabal, for comment. Hadley incorrectly assumed the principal was a woman.

"I think it's a female," Hadley said. "What she's got to get through her skull: by doing it, she causes division, because the kids who want to hear the Christmas carols ... suddenly target those minority groups."

It came days after the radio announcer complained to Treasurer Scott Morrison about political correctness regarding Christmas, which Mr Morrison also opposed.

"Have a great Christmas and enjoy the birth of our Lord," the Treasurer enthused.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

WHAT ELSE BEGINS?

holy poo poo, how did Middle Cove get put on a map as some sort of reference point? I grew up there and it's the tiniest suburb in Sydney with barely anyone living there, surrounded by more populous and well-known suburbs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
We are a Christian nation

These lefty teachers should piss off and not indoctrinate our kids with values like not torturing people seeking our help

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
GODLESS GREEN HEATHENS!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Dutton at least self-identifies as an evil-doer.

Fat_Kiwi
Jun 30, 2007
Obeid got five years, non-parole for three years.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Decorated or undecorated? This is important.

Decorated, as gaudy as humanly possible.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Fat_Kiwi posted:

:toot:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Fat_Kiwi posted:

Was the guillotine broken?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Nice try Bernard, but doesn't even come close to the greatest developments in Australian sociology; the Barassi line and the Red Rooster line.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Nice try Bernard, but doesn't even come close to the greatest developments in Australian sociology; the Barassi line and the Red Rooster line.

As if there's ever been a line for Red Rooster.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I've been in the DSP for years now with no real improvement in my condition. In the last year or so Centrelink decided I had to go in to be reassessed. They decided after those interviews I was fit to work, then after I submitted an appeal 20+ pages long demonstrating how their report didn't take into account any of my doctor/specalist reports and contradict their own standards they decided I was still disabled. Made me go to a disability jobs provider though, but after I talked to them and they saw I was already going to uni to study and train and that I was doing everything right already, shouted at Centrelink for a few months before it eventually came to me coming in every two weeks to confirm I am still at uni.

If you can go to Wesley for a job services provider, I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

As if there's ever been a line for Red Rooster.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
My Centrelink/JSA story is that my payment was suspended for not attending an appointment that was set for a date 3 days before the letter was sent, ie in the past. I pointed this out, so Centrelink then set a followup appointment on a state holiday, when the JSA wasn't open.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
My favourite articles are those that start with a very long impassioned plea to recognise the author as the first to say something loving dumb.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mr Chips posted:

My Centrelink/JSA story is that my payment was suspended for not attending an appointment that was set for a date 3 days before the letter was sent, ie in the past. I pointed this out, so Centrelink then set a followup appointment on a state holiday, when the JSA wasn't open.

I had this happen when I was studying on YA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I meant more in the sense of "who in their right mind would want to eat anything from RR".

• Locked thread