Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Wildcat Strike is a phrase only topped in beauty by General Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

NumberLast posted:

Unironically good movie.

Almost as good as The Wachowskis' Speed Racer.

:chloe:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
semi-daily reminder to listen to Keith Ellisons podcast, which lays out problems we're facing as a country and how we can solve them

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/we-the-podcast/id958234911?mt=2
http://wethepodcast.podomatic.com/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

NumberLast posted:

Wildcat Strike is a phrase only topped in beauty by General Strike.

Don't forget sympathy strikes (also illegal).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

NumberLast posted:

Unironically good movie.

I am a huge Cage fan and to my shame I haven't seen it because I just don't watch many movies

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

glad to know that unions are in a healthy state in this country and that public anti-union sentiment is actually from republican mind-control and not anything union leadership has done.

Anyway, hopefully Wildcat Strikes come back.

corruption isn't the same thing as incompetence, and lol just lol if you think anti-union sentiment in this country has not been deliberately incubated since the 1940s (and earlier, really)

really, to say 'union density is really just the unions own fault!' is basically 100% the GOP/chamber of commerce talking point for the past several decades

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
man id settle for hearing the words "a strike that accomplished its goals" at this point

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

man id settle for hearing the words "a strike that accomplished its goals" at this point

the verizon strike 6 months ago was pretty successful

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bushido Brown posted:

Like, maybe, just maybe, one of the major problems beyond Hillary being awful in various ways is that unless and until you throw someone as miraculous as Barack Obama at it, Democrats, not Republicans, are demographically hosed and not in line with the electoral-majority viewpoint.

(Electoral being a key word there.)

People seem to have this massive psychic block when it comes to the majority of the United States electorate being white. They keep hoping that rather than learn to deal with this fact they can rely on demographics as destiny, but the real sad thing is Latin communities are super diverse and many of them are merging into 'white identity' the same way the Irish, Poles, Germans and etc did. Democrats desperately need to work out ways to appeal to the majority while also not reflexively throwing the minority under the bus. Like, you can be pro-women's rights *and* pro-economic development. They aren't mutually exclusive. Likewise you advocate for black community revitalization *and* UHC at the same time.

Somewhere people got it into their heads that progress is zero sum, and doing anything for one group necessarily involves betraying some other group. And then that dumb idea infected discourse in general.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:bernin:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

paranoid randroid posted:

no i mean i mean above-and-beyond their usual fuckups. they have to basically condense six years of GWB into two for 2018 to start looking particularly rosy for the dems

i'm not optimistic about this. i don't see the democrats replicating the success of the tea party, even with a younger and more streetwise electorate

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

NumberLast posted:

Unironically good movie.

Speed Racer was a good movie and if anyone thinks otherwise I'm going to frown real hard

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I honked and thumbs-upped some of these strikers while driving past them, and felt very good about my coastal liberal elite self

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Not a Step posted:

People seem to have this massive psychic block when it comes to the majority of the United States electorate being white. They keep hoping that rather than learn to deal with this fact they can rely on demographics as destiny, but the real sad thing is Latin communities are super diverse and many of them are merging into 'white identity' the same way the Irish, Poles, Germans and etc did. Democrats desperately need to work out ways to appeal to the majority while also not reflexively throwing the minority under the bus. Like, you can be pro-women's rights *and* pro-economic development. They aren't mutually exclusive. Likewise you advocate for black community revitalization *and* UHC at the same time.

Somewhere people got it into their heads that progress is zero sum, and doing anything for one group necessarily involves betraying some other group. And then that dumb idea infected discourse in general.

Some might say you should advocate for universal social advancement, encompassing civil liberty and economic justice.

A sort of social...ist ideology, if you will.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Not a Step posted:

Speed Racer was a good movie and if anyone thinks otherwise I'm going to frown real hard

It was actual live action anime. He did it. Trump did it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I was just about to bring that one up. There's a Verizon facility I used to run by regularly when I was living in metro Boston and I stopped to talk to the strikers on the picket line (I'm in UUP).

I found it encouraging both that the workers appear to have gotten a settlement that favors them, and also when Vz was trying to hire scabs they got significant pushback and their recruitment ads got defaced all over the place.

Not a Step posted:

I did not care for it.

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

theflyingexecutive posted:

She did a billion of these and got zero attention

lol that there are people saying she should have done more huge events and more small events, make up your minds dudes

She should have done ANY events that weren't $10,000 plate fundraisers with rich donors

also maybe had a platform that appealed to working americans

I mean look at this poo poo, right here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.39c423d139b3

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Somebody upthread said something about Sanders and Ellison doing a future of the dnc thing tonight but I can't find it again. Is that happening? Anyone have any info on that?

Also speed racer was good :colbert:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I did not care for it.

I'm frownin'. My wife can't watch it because the visual effects give her migraines. Same thing happened when we went to see Dredd. I am forever alone in my love for a visually gorgeous real life anime.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I was just about to bring that one up. There's a Verizon facility I used to run by regularly when I was living in metro Boston and I stopped to talk to the strikers on the picket line (I'm in UUP).

I found it encouraging both that the workers appear to have gotten a settlement that favors them, and also when Vz was trying to hire scabs they got significant pushback and their recruitment ads got defaced all over the place.

i remember the vz strikes in boston too, there was a building somewhere round seaport that had strikers in front of it for a good few weeks. glad to hear things went relatively well for them

i just hope boston, and massachusetts, stays safe.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Not a Step posted:

I'm frownin'. My wife can't watch it because the visual effects give her migraines. Same thing happened when we went to see Dredd. I am forever alone in my love for a visually gorgeous real life anime.

Dredd was also very good.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

big black turnout posted:

Somebody upthread said something about Sanders and Ellison doing a future of the dnc thing tonight but I can't find it again. Is that happening? Anyone have any info on that?

Also speed racer was good :colbert:

https://ourrevolution.com

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

ty

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

i remember the vz strikes in boston too, there was a building somewhere round seaport that had strikers in front of it for a good few weeks. glad to hear things went relatively well for them

i just hope boston, and massachusetts, stays safe.

One time when I went by (this was in Wakefield, not downtown) there was a cop talking to the picketers, but he was clearly just bored of watching the road crew across the street and wanted someone new to talk to. Closest thing to drama I noticed during that strike.

I do kinda miss Boston though I've only been gone a little over a month now, but I don't miss how goddamn expensive everything has gotten there.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Not a Step posted:

It wasn't an accident that economic identity politics has been excluded from mainstream conversations about racial and gender identity politics.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Not a Step posted:

This is literally the opposite of my point, though.

I am saying there isn't a silent mass of voters who will vote dem if you speak to economic problems.

I am saying that barring Barry O level charisma, wit, and charm, maybe it's hard to get folks to sign onto democratic/leftist ideas.

People voted for Obama despite the liberalism, not because of it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its really hard to have economic identity when the entire economy of the united states is predicated on 80% of the population driving themselves into tremendous debt to prove they arent poor

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Perhaps the same can be said of all capitalist economies! But enough talk, have at you!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mankind I'll needs a president such as Trump

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Bushido Brown posted:

I am saying there isn't a silent mass of voters who will vote dem if you speak to economic problems.

I am saying that barring Barry O level charisma, wit, and charm, maybe it's hard to get folks to sign onto democratic/leftist ideas.

WRONG.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

What people are arguing in this thread: Tom Perez is running as a factional bid to retain control of the DNC structure for the current power brokers/players and him defeating Keith Ellison would signal that the democratic party is rejecting the concept that the changes that need to be made are structural and idealogicial, versus technical.

How opponents of this argument are framing that: Obama's evil secret neo-liberal conspiracy is out to get Bernie Sanders and bring in 10,000 years of rule under Goldman Sachs.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

remember the presidential avatar trend and posters had non-Nixon avs? We need to think like influencers, and strut around with Democrats of ol'

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bushido Brown posted:

you could talk to working class people instead of spend all day fondling your pearls you know

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Isnt bernie or keith speaking tonight about something

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ugh wow more of Bernie's full communism now platform. Sorry dipshit, AMERICA DOESN'T WANT THAT.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Uncle Wemus posted:

Isnt bernie or keith speaking tonight about something

https://twitter.com/OurRevolution/status/809160306446372865

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Bushido Brown posted:

I think this election *has* proved pretty conclusively that there is a vast Democratic voting group out there who will *only* show up if you speak to their economic concerns, and nothing else - no amount of crying about the racist sexist clown man or their civic duty to minorities - will get them to turn up at the polls.

*Or* only the charisma of Bill and Barry could do it, in which case we're hosed because we're fresh out of them, so embrace a thousand years of Trump.

I know which story I'd rather believe.

E: Maybe youre one of those people who think since Hillary had a progressive platform and lost that means progressive platforms are busted? The thing there is that Hillary didn't campaign on that platform and very few really trusted her to carry it out even if elected. This is the candidate who screamed on stage that UHC would NEVER EVER HAPPEN. No one forgot that just because Bernie won some concessions at the Convention.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Dec 14, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Bushido Brown posted:

"Voters will forgive you for disagreeing with them so long as they know that you genuinely believe what you are saying and that you include them in your plans. They may disagree with you on your policy, but if they know that you believe that because you want to help them, then they'll vote for you."
-- Jason Kander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Not a Step posted:

I think this election *has* proved pretty conclusively that there is a vast Democratic voting group out there who will *only* show up if you speak to their economic concerns, and nothing else - no amount of crying about the racist sexist clown man or their civic duty to minorities - will get them to turn up at the polls.

*Or* only the charisma of Bill and Barry could do it, in which case we're hosed because we're fresh out of them, so embrace a thousand years of Trump.

I know which story I'd rather believe.

a huge portion of that group aren't even democrats. bernie crushed it with nonaffiliated/independents in the primary.

• Locked thread