Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, how's about we all take a deep breath and see if we can discuss the DNC chair election without going full Arzy, at least this early on?

Uh, dunno if you've been around the past month or two, but going full Arzy is probably the smart move over anything related to the Democrats.

Ed: Quads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

xXx

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

has anything I've said thus far given you the impression that I am calm? cuz I'm like the opposite of calm, and I don't intend to calm down for the foreseeable future
calmer than paranoid randroid atm

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the factions at play aren't some nebulous 'ESTABLISHMENT' but rather Obama and his loyalists wanting his legacy to be discussed still

I don't really see the distinction there

paranoid randroid posted:

well if Perez does get the nod then good news, thatll mean hes the one who will have people baying for his blood when 2018 does not turn out to be a massive blue wave election instead of Ellison

I'd much rather we have Ellison, the guy with actual Midwest campaign experience, so that this doesn't happen

because as I learned this year, I actually do not enjoy being right if it means Republicans winning elections

Serf
May 5, 2011

well if Perez does get the nod then good news, thatll mean hes the one who will have people baying for his blood when 2018 does not turn out to be a massive blue wave election instead of Ellison

lmao if you think the 2018 elections will go well

it took us 6 years of Bush to get our poo poo together last time. but the GOP only needed 2 years of Obama lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

calling baloogan to bring the ten commandments of lord of eternity trump to this thread

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Serf posted:

lmao if you think the 2018 elections will go well

it took us 6 years of Bush to get our poo poo together last time. but the GOP only needed 2 years of Obama lol

really like 2 months for the tea party to absolutely dominate the public discourse for the next several years lmbo

Serf
May 5, 2011

brb, becoming the Alex Jones of the left

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
2018 is not going to be a happy midterm and im unsure how much Ellison alone can do to change that

maybe if the GOP reallllly fucks up large in the next two years

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

brb, becoming the Alex Jones of the left
:yeah:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I'm just still astounded that the week after Clinton lost the congressional Dems didn't come out and encourage everyone to organize independently and disrupt the sitting government at every opportunity.

Kind of seems like the only moral thing to do if you believe a literal fascist is in power.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

loquacius posted:

pretend I emptyquoted my earlier post about how this argument is missing the point

Why exactly, I'm curious, do the "take a xanax" people think people were pushing Perez to run, if not as part of a factional power-play? Why do they prefer him over Ellison?

because many of them have worked with him before in the obama white house and by all accounts he's very easy to work with and was good at all of the positions he was appointed to.
because he has a very good relationship with labor, he's a personal friend with richard trumka, head of the afl-cio
instead of going to big law after havard law school, he worked for the civil rights division of the doj. he has a real commitment to real racial justice that isn't "we need more black and hispanic CEOs"
he would do the job full time, one of the major criticisms of Debbie Wasserman Schultz during her time as dnc chair was that it was a part-time job for her and only a week ago was when ellison finally said that he would resign from congress to do it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

maybe if the GOP reallllly fucks up large in the next two years

Well have I got some good news for you, then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

I don't really see the distinction there

I'd much rather we have Ellison, the guy with actual Midwest campaign experience, so that this doesn't happen

because as I learned this year, I actually do not enjoy being right if it means Republicans winning elections

because people act like there's some shadowy cabal of 'the establishment' who inherently hate any plucky little (veteran statesman with supporters like Chuck Schumer and the AFL-CIO) underdogs. In reality it's specific people who mainly just want people to keep talking about them

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

your story about the painters union wanting 2 SUVs and $100,000 sounds like a Jimmy Hoffa is in my backyard conspiracy theory, sorry champ

union officers are elected by their members in most instances, lemme know when communities get to elect their police officers

You know in many county's across the country sheriff's are elected right?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well have I got some good news for you, then.

no i mean i mean above-and-beyond their usual fuckups. they have to basically condense six years of GWB into two for 2018 to start looking particularly rosy for the dems

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You know in many county's across the country sheriff's are elected right?

:aaaaa:

friggin huge if true

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

You Are All Deranged

Lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think it is best Perez threw his hat in the ring now so that should Ellison fail, there's Perez there. Also pretty sure Ellison plans to talk to the guy when he's chair.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Serf posted:

has anything I've said thus far given you the impression that I am calm? cuz I'm like the opposite of calm, and I don't intend to calm down for the foreseeable future

that's not healthy or useful

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

:aaaaa:

friggin huge if true

So I just let you know something, so what's your point?

Is it that police violenceunion corruption isn't actually a problem because the communityunion members can just vote out the people doing it?

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Never stop being angry.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

like to be perfectly clear, supporting Ellison over Perez is not the problem

the problem is flipping the gently caress and acting like Perezs mere candidacy is proof that the FIX IS IN AND ITS ALL OBAMAS FAULT

The disconnect seems to center on not understanding how extraordinary Obama is on many levels.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

NumberLast posted:

Never stop being angry.

:bernpop:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah, 2018 will probably be more about racking up governorships, state offices and house seats while running damage control on the Senate. It's far from hopeless, and I'm not about to give up. I'm stuck with Holcomb for a while in Indiana, but seeing some of my northern neighbors shrug off their Republican governors would warm my heart a little. Even if we don't take the House in 2018, which is still unlikely, we can at least put on a show of force and position ourselves for a possible takeover in 2020.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

So I just let you know something, so what's your point?

Is it that police violenceunion corruption isn't actually a problem because the communityunion members can just vote out the people doing it?

it's because union corruption isn't actually a problem on any measurable scale, despite you diarrheaing out arguments to the contrary

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

no i mean i mean above-and-beyond their usual fuckups. they have to basically condense six years of GWB into two for 2018 to start looking particularly rosy for the dems

Given his cabinet picks alone, I stand by my statement. :colbert:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
What people are arguing in this thread: Tom Perez is running as a factional bid to retain control of the DNC structure for the current power brokers/players and him defeating Keith Ellison would signal that the democratic party is rejecting the concept that the changes that need to be made are structural and idealogicial, versus technical.

How opponents of this argument are framing that: Obama's evil secret neo-liberal conspiracy is out to get Bernie Sanders and bring in 10,000 years of rule under Goldman Sachs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zikan posted:

because many of them have worked with him before in the obama white house and by all accounts he's very easy to work with and was good at all of the positions he was appointed to.
because he has a very good relationship with labor, he's a personal friend with richard trumka, head of the afl-cio
instead of going to big law after havard law school, he worked for the civil rights division of the doj. he has a real commitment to real racial justice that isn't "we need more black and hispanic CEOs"
he would do the job full time, one of the major criticisms of Debbie Wasserman Schultz during her time as dnc chair was that it was a part-time job for her and only a week ago was when ellison finally said that he would resign from congress to do it

I'm sure he's a great guy, there are just plenty of other jobs he can do and the only reason they want him to do this one is because of who run barter town

Tatum Girlparts posted:

because people act like there's some shadowy cabal of 'the establishment' who inherently hate any plucky little (veteran statesman with supporters like Chuck Schumer and the AFL-CIO) underdogs. In reality it's specific people who mainly just want people to keep talking about them

Again, I don't really see a distinction here. Ego isn't really that much better of a deciding factor than malice. If a decision like this comes down to the egos of a few Very Important People, the implications for the future are bad.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If they trash Medicare then I think they succeed at that

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Like, maybe, just maybe, one of the major problems beyond Hillary being awful in various ways is that unless and until you throw someone as miraculous as Barack Obama at it, Democrats, not Republicans, are demographically hosed and not in line with the electoral-majority viewpoint.

(Electoral being a key word there.)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

What people are arguing in this thread: Tom Perez is running as a factional bid to retain control of the DNC structure for the current power brokers/players and him defeating Keith Ellison would signal that the democratic party is rejecting the concept that the changes that need to be made are structural and idealogicial, versus technical.

How opponents of this argument are framing that: Obama's evil secret neo-liberal conspiracy is out to get Bernie Sanders and bring in 10,000 years of rule under Goldman Sachs.

Strawmen? In the Democrat thread?

(It's more likely than you think!)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Given his cabinet picks alone, I stand by my statement. :colbert:

I hope we get Operation Bite 2.0 so Sy Hersh can be vindicated at last

(not really i dont actually hope this at all)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

NumberLast posted:

Never stop being angry.

Drive angry

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

shot in 3d

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope we get Operation Bite 2.0 so Sy Hersh can be vindicated at last

(not really i dont actually hope this at all)

Trump is going to pardon Robert Durst

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
My Other Car is a Meltdown

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZNLNkxgIg

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Unironically good movie.

Almost as good as The Wachowskis' Speed Racer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

it's because union corruption isn't actually a problem on any measurable scale, despite you diarrheaing out arguments to the contrary

glad to know that unions are in a healthy state in this country and that public anti-union sentiment is actually from republican mind-control and not anything union leadership has done.

Anyway, hopefully Wildcat Strikes come back.

• Locked thread