Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Of course "you shouldn't make fun of bad DF players" is something a filthy Eos user would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
keep whining about it and you're not getting haste on the pull either

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
{ Convalescence } { Do you have it? }

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't use Eos or Selene, the fairy uses me as their DPS pet.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Reiterpallasch posted:

i once saw a naked dude with a crack pipe on BART and didn't run off to the forums to complain about it dude

BART is a magical wonderland of poo poo like this :allears:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
On the subject of in-game friendliness, I've never been kicked and I've never had a party kick anyone for any reason other than being disconnected for an obscenely long time. Most people are really quite nice. Everyone just wants to beat whatever the content is and move onto the next thing. If you're new to the game, EVERYONE will be nice to you, because you have something to offer. If you happen to find yourself kicked from dungeons often or semi-often, you're prolly an rear end in a top hat.

ActionZero posted:

I hope you've been buying Umbrite for a while now.

I don't know what that is, but a quick look says it's only 300 Lore. That's not hard to grind out these days. Unless I need like 75 of those things again.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know what that is, but a quick look says it's only 300 Lore. That's not hard to grind out these days. Unless I need like 75 of those things again.

:D

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, 75 would probably be about right. And an equivalent amount of crystal sand :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't worry, it's not like you need a companion item to go with each one!

(you do)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

check out my Youtube posted:

Bad DF parties are something to be savored sweetly, like a finely-aged toilet wine. If it isn't the sort of thing you can drink without spitting out you have no business playing mmos, and nobody wants to be the rear end in a top hat in the party who can't drink politely.
Bad weeping city parties are the best. The level of anger and frustration that gets brought out is really something to behold.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I've had my weird share of tanks. I remember a Cutter's Cry run where the Paladin got really upset at a Machinist for using their knockback on an add nobody was attacking, and spent so long explaining why it was bad that the Machinist pulled the next group. Paladin let them die, and then refused to do anything unless we vote kicked the Machinist.

SonicRulez posted:

Please don't spend your Lore on anything but Umbrite. You will genuinely regret it.

seiferguy posted:

The only real wrong thing about the Primal data server is where they tank the bone dragon.

As someone on Aether, I'd never actually seen this happen until this week and the bitching that went on in chat was kind of amazing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Reiterpallasch posted:

i once saw a naked dude with a crack pipe on BART and didn't run off to the forums to complain about it dude

What up, fellow BART riding goon?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ignimbrite posted:

Yeah, 75 would probably be about right. And an equivalent amount of crystal sand :v:

Crystal Sand isn't hard. Running the "Dance, Magic Dance" leve quest repeatedly will earn you Amber Vilekins really loving quick. And your leve allotment will refill long before you ever buy enough Umbrite to burn through the Vilekin pile you've amassed.

With 100 leves, you'll pull somewhere between 15-20 vilekin (unless you have really bad luck). Thus you'll need somewhere between 300-400 leves for all the crystal sand for your relic. Assuming you're starting with 100 allowances stocked up, you'll have all the crystal sand in 30-45 days. Still probably long before you have all 60-80 umbrite, unless you go buckwild on ARF (:suicide:).

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, basically, it's a good idea to get as much Umbrite and Vilekin now while you're working towards that stage. It's a slog compared to the rest of the Anima stuff.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I got all 5 aether oil from the weeklies and spent all the lores I got for those 5 weeks on umbrite and I have had horrible luck with vilekin so most of my crystal sand has come from mist/ink bought with poetics. I have more umbrite than crystal sand so now I am in the miserable position of grinding poetics and slowly gathering more vilekin.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

With 100 leves, you'll pull somewhere between 15-20 vilekin (unless you have really bad luck). Thus you'll need somewhere between 300-400 leves for all the crystal sand for your relic. Assuming you're starting with 100 allowances stocked up, you'll have all the crystal sand in 30-45 days. Still probably long before you have all 60-80 umbrite, unless you go buckwild on ARF (:suicide:).

It won't take nearly that long to get the sand, since there are many ways of getting it and you are really likely to get some through other means without even trying.

Point stands that you'll be swimming in crystal sand long before you have enough umbrite.

And before you can even start worrying about that you have Unidentified Hell to trudge through.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

It won't take nearly that long to get the sand, since there are many ways of getting it and you are really likely to get some through other means without even trying.

Point stands that you'll be swimming in crystal sand long before you have enough umbrite.

And before you can even start worrying about that you have Unidentified Hell to trudge through.

Unidentified Hell doesn't really exist anymore. 10 days of beast tribes, during which 10 days you can continue to gather lore for umbrite and do CT weeklies. To my knowledge the only step you can't work on during those 10 days is the current step, which requires you to have the quest to acquire the items any way other than buying them with lore, which is a terrible idea because of umbrite.

e: I guess if you don't have your beast tribes maxed out it might be hell but honestly maxing the beast tribes is a much more rewarding grind than doing your relic anyways. And you can still buy umbrite while doing that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well poo poo. Luckily I'm not really in some kind of crazy rush. I'm building through this while trying to finish the Alex set and get a new Shire weapon and do raid things. It's a process. gently caress me though, that's a lot of fuckin Lore. Maybe I'll just wait for 4.0 when it's useless :v:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I like the Anima weapon quests because of how passively you can do it. It's easy to finish if you're in no rush. I've put little effort into my second weapon and I'm already over halfway through the Anima, and I only started it after getting the sharpened Paladin weapon for some reason. So long as you know what's coming ahead of time, you can really mitigate a lot of the time sink.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

e: I guess if you don't have your beast tribes maxed out it might be hell

as someone in this hell it is in fact hell

Fortunately you only actually need to get up to 3 at least for the ARR tribes to start getting things

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm not even bothered by getting Umbrite (since that's something you're consistently working on as long as you're doing your dailies). It's the Crystal Sand bit, where you have to actively go and knock it out and my inner lazy couch potato cries in protest at actually having to go out and do it and suddenly everything else seems more interesting.

Also if they made it that you can abandon/initiate while flying it'd make the process so much less painful.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
My current grind is getting my bomb chair while farming Syrcus Tower for the caster chest piece. I needed a break after the first book.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not even bothered by getting Umbrite (since that's something you're consistently working on as long as you're doing your dailies). It's the Crystal Sand bit, where you have to actively go and knock it out and my inner lazy couch potato cries in protest at actually having to go out and do it and suddenly everything else seems more interesting.

Also if they made it that you can abandon/initiate while flying it'd make the process so much less painful.

You can get crystal sand for 450 poetics. It comes in almost as fast or faster than umbrite.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Another good way to get crystal sand is if you have a blue scrip Miner & Botanist capable of doing the 3 gather rotations on Cuprite and Morels. One round of those should get you more than enough blue gathering scrips to get 5 tokens which is a crystal sand. And that's once every Eorzean day.

I tried Vilekin and Poetics and settled on that as my final method.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Gathering and crafting blue scrip are by far the easiest methods of getting sand.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Good thing I've never done either :smith:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If blue scrips are a good option for you, then yeah, go with that. If not though, you'll still keep good pace between:

- Vilekin (use 1 allowance at a time: if you try to do the leves that cost 10 allowances, you'll average half as many and have greater variance to boot)
- Poetics
- Greeding dungeon drops -> GC seals -> Moonstones

Leve allowances you'll get automatically every day so you might as well use them so they don't go to waste by sitting perpetually at 100. Poetics will come from some of the roulettes you can run for the umbrite lore grind, and nearly everything you run for the umbrite lore grind can cough up gear and consequently GC seals for moonstones.

If you're falling behind relative to your umbrite (if anything, it's more likely to be the opposite problem), there are a few other sources of crystal sand from other content or from poo poo you can buy on the auction house, that you can use to catch up.

NB that if you limit your lore grind to spamming ARF you'll probably have more problems with crystal sand from those methods, even though it's faster lore in a vacuum than running a variety of roulettes. (Seeing as it gives no poetics and no gear...) The problem is that it's in a vacuum and you do still need that crystal sand, not to mention variety helps considerably with maintaining your sanity.

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 15, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

Another good way to get crystal sand is if you have a blue scrip Miner & Botanist capable of doing the 3 gather rotations on Cuprite and Morels. One round of those should get you more than enough blue gathering scrips to get 5 tokens which is a crystal sand. And that's once every Eorzean day.

I tried Vilekin and Poetics and settled on that as my final method.

Or you can g squad members on missions until their bonuses yield scrips and then send them out on missions they have synergy for in order to boost their chances to 100%.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 15, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vil posted:

If blue scrips are a good option for you, then yeah, go with that. If not though, you'll still keep good pace between:

- Vilekin (use 1 allowance at a time: if you try to do the leves that cost 10 allowances, you'll average half as many and have greater variance to boot)

The upside is you can burn 100 Leves in only a few minutes and not the better part of an hour. I went 4 for 7 on large scale Leves recently and unless I'd start heavily farming tomestones (nope) I'll be able to run a half dozen large scales again by the time I'm low on sands.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hm. I was pre-warned about the Unidentified stuff. Sadly it was before the drop so I have a few that'll go to waste, but it still looks like a strong grind. Luckily you guys gave me the heads up on grinding gear into seals. I had no idea that was even a thing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Unid step is pathetically easy now. You only need half the original number of doodads, and the crafted whatsits don't need to be HQ, AND are now vendor purchasable.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Still frustrating for someone who hasn't already finished beast tribes. :(

Being able to buy the nq items with seals is badass, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

super sweet best pal posted:

Or you can g squad members on missions until their bonuses yield scrips and then send them out on missions they have synergy for in order to boost their chances to 100%.

This is good for crafting scrips.

For Gathering? You can't cap your blue scrips in a single day doing this. You can pulling in 6 Cuprite/Morels every time they're up. Without bonuses.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
howdy friendos No Dragongirls Allowed is looking for a dragoon interested in savage raiding. We're at 40% on A11S and are pretty sure we can get a clear soon! We'd like it if you have had at least some savage raiding experience this tier, preferably 255+ ilvl, but also be chill and cool.

if you are interested, please post or pm me or message me on discord @ Rafza#6713. arigatou

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Every once in a while I see people selling things like mounts and clears. How does that even work? They offer to just carry you? How does that work if you're say a tank in Sophia EX? Both of you need to know how to play for it to work.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

You don't necessarily need 8 people to clear most content

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

Every once in a while I see people selling things like mounts and clears. How does that even work? They offer to just carry you? How does that work if you're say a tank in Sophia EX? Both of you need to know how to play for it to work.

You'd be a third tank, and then you'd kill yourself at the beginning of the fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SonicRulez posted:

If your only level 60 is a tank, then they'll just probably do it with 3 tanks or have healers ready to heal through the tankbuster debuff. With a PLD MT it isn't that hard.

Basically you just sacrifice yourself or whatever and go gently caress off while they clear the fight as many times as it takes to get your drop.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
People selling cutting edge profession content will generally log into your account, you can't actually 7 man a12s right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

People selling cutting edge profession content will generally log into your account, you can't actually 7 man a12s right now.

You can absolutely 7-man A12S.

• Locked thread