Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Shab posted:

I'm not sure what your point here is. That timeframe shows the Ruh Kaan/Jumong patch, and the game came out of that patch bump with a higher concurrent population than before it. Content patches always draw new players/see old players return, and some percentage of those stick around.

I mean, going F2P today would see a huge bump in new players, but the key metric is retention. They don't think the game is developed enough to retain players and there is some truth to that.

That's the free weekend, not the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

muon posted:

:suicide:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

muon posted:

Either way he's right about retention. Need the first wave of f2p to want to stick around to sell those micro transactions. IS there even competition in this game space for them to be worried about stealing players?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Draynar posted:

Either way he's right about retention. Need the first wave of f2p to want to stick around to sell those micro transactions. IS there even competition in this game space for them to be worried about stealing players?

Competition in the F2P arena doesn't necessarily have to be the exact same game type. Are DotA/League/HotS/SMITE the same exact game style as Battlerite? No. But they all have aspects that are similar-ish, and they all feed that competitive nature that a lot of people would have. You're competing with those games for peoples times and microtransaction dollars. Also, those games are established and have large player bases. The actual question you should be asking is "Can this game steal players from other playerbases within the F2P market?". Those people who were playing on the free weekend? They can't play now unless they pay. Will some of them come back in late 2017? Maybe. Others will say gently caress it and go play something else and not give a poo poo when Battlerite goes free a year from now.

For the delayed release to be worth it, you have to be building up some kind of hype. If they can do something to get hype rolling a bit before the release, maybe their gamble will pay off. Otherwise, they've just had a lot more time that their paying players were dealing with small opponent pools and poor matchmaking and the players who would have come and jumped in for the ride wandered off to other things.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I do find it funny that so many people think the game will fail with a Q1 release but bought the early access with a Q1 release date

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

koolkal posted:

I do find it funny that so many people think the game will fail with a Q1 release but bought the early access with a Q1 release date

I posted before I bought it that I was picking it up because I enjoyed Bloodline Champions but that I had no great expectations for it to succeed.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I mean honestly the game seems like its is in really good shape already. Like all it needs is more maps and heroes. I usually dislike these type of games but this one is pretty drat fun.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The real problem with the game is that this thread should have been subtitled Fight for your Rite to Battle.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Cirofren posted:

The real problem with the game is that this thread should have been subtitled Fight for your Rite to Battle.

Yo friend I've already been down this road. Thread mods won't budge. It's a tragedy.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I usually dislike these type of games but this one is pretty drat fun.

I like this kind of games and I also think it's pretty fun.

Too bad I'm so horrible at it my friends who I usually play games with don't want to play with me :eng99:
I'm just too slow and I either deal decent damage, but die due to not minding my positioning enough. Or I watch out really well (while still being somewhere near the battle)... but my damage and effective contribution is minimal.

The game also really scoring you visible for everyone also doesn't help.
Back to Bloodbowl I guess :eng101:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Yeah, I don't quite get the late 2017 release - the playerbase already seems pretty small (queuing for non-ranked games takes forever so the option might as well not even be there) and this certainly won't help.

Speaking of non-ranked mode not really working, I wish there was some better way to practice new champions. The AI is so dumb you can beat hard bots without even knowing any of your skills, so you can't really train for the real thing there and ranked gets you absolutely blasted if you aren't on the top of your game (and probably even then, since this has one of the worst pubbie communities I've ever seen).

In my last game my teammate kept immediately charging in, dying and spending the rest of the round moaning about me being bad (??). I still managed to carry a couple of rounds, but that didn't really work out. Queue again, and I'm paired with the same guy again with the same results. Uggh. I mean, I'm bad, but not THAT bad & that's why I'm playing at the low ranks so going apeshit seems pretty pointless.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 9, 2016

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

quote:

Clarification regarding “Late 2017”. Our goal is to launch F2P by mid Summer but this is not an official release date or something we wish to promise. We are open to the idea of having multiple free weekends or an Open Beta before Battlerite’s official release.

SLS trying to fan down the flames after yesterday's announcement.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Surprised not ranked gives you a harder time than ranked. In my experience standard just throws you against whoever else is trying to find a game without even putting up a fight. I also might just be acclimated to long queue times.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o95-FJUICQU

New hero - Pestilus: Lord Of The Swarm

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
And patch notes for tomorrow: http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/261603576447635117

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Looks cool! I'll probably just play for a few days before I burn out again, though. :(

What are people's thoughts on the game, here? I've put about a hundred hours into it -- which is pretty good for a 20$ dollar game -- but I feel like something's missing for me to want to play it beyond just testing new heroes or doing some daily quests once a week or two. I remember being super psyched about BLC before the weird changes they added. It felt like there was so much I could improve on, and while there's obviously still a lot I can improve on in BR as well, it just feels so minuscule in comparison. I don't know.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i had a lot of fun when battlerite came out but took a break and when i came back i had queue times of 20+ minutes for really one sided stomps so i decided i would wait until it went free to play. maybe the new ranking system will be better for that.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I do think there's something to the favorite meme going around (at least in the NA scene) about the game lacking mechanical depth. The game basically boils down to "hit your poo poo dodge their poo poo. memorize their cooldowns, attack when they burn all their defensive cds". Except dodging is mostly predictive with the current hit boxes (both champs and projectiles) , map size (plenty of choke points, especially in 3s) and base movement speed. The CDs are also pretty long, especially for some of the ex skills + some other stuff I'm forgetting. That being said I like it enough to have gotten competitive and have played ~300ish hrs. I'm along for the ride, for better or worse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They seem aware of the movement speed issue, though it isn't clear if they consider it an issue. On basically every single customer satisfaction survey I've filled out for them there's been a question like "how would you change movement speed?", but I don't think there's been any major changes to it.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Anyone have tips for the archer fellow? He has to be my worst ranged assassin.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Draynar posted:

Try playing a game where you only use your M1 (auto attack). Do that until you feel comfortable killing people only with it. Then one where you add black arrow to your kit. Another game where you add prowl. Then rain of arrows. Don't bother with the other skills.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Countblanc posted:

They seem aware of the movement speed issue, though it isn't clear if they consider it an issue. On basically every single customer satisfaction survey I've filled out for them there's been a question like "how would you change movement speed?", but I don't think there's been any major changes to it.

I remember an AMA where they spoke to it. Paraphrasing here but their response was that they want the game to be me more accessible than BLC, and keeping the movement speed slower than BLC's is part of that ongoing effort.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Draynar posted:

Remember that your space bar leap will move in the direction you are walking and fire in the direction you are aiming. It is useful for both pursuit and escape.

Your trap takes time to arm, but you can use it fairly easily to wombo CC someone if they get tagged by another CC (so stun into root, etc).

Don't underestimate your range, and don't neglect using your right click when appropriate because it hits decently hard and at a ridiculous range, just remember that the wind up is a bitch if you're trying to fire it off in melee or something.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm glad we exchanged grinding a number for grinding a bar.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I'm glad we exchanged grinding a number for grinding a bar.
Also get standard tier matchmaking for a while, aka literal brain dead morons on your team.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have zero intention of solo queueing ranked in this game, probably ever. My heart goes out to those who must.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Yesterday I was 7 approaching 8, which means maybe I'm not the proest player out there, but today I come out of placement at bronze 10 ... ?

I'm sad.

VVV Oh good now I feel a lot better.

Vino fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 15, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
According to reddit no one other than like ELO 5000+ people were placing above Silver (and even those were low Gold). I wouldn't worry about initial placement, though it DOES mean games will be highly volatile for a few weeks while people are actually divided out.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Time to get owned on a daily baisis :woop: For the next like two weeks.
The new guy is interesting, he has MASSIVE healing potential, I've played a few games againts him as Lucile (whose nerf wasn't really that harsh), and about 4/5th of the rounds went into sudden death with 4 people alive. Once he takes the battlerite allowing him to infest two targets, he's really hard to lock down too. He can go into the central Sphere and into his own Queen, as well as into stuff like charging Rook or Bakko. I don't know if he can Infest invisible folks.

Also during placement, there were Rooks everywhere, and with mostly good results, I've had no idea Rook is so in the meta now.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
bloodpriest! hell yeah. everyone else wanted thorn but i finally have my favourite support back :woop:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rook has probably been the top performing melee hero in tournaments for a month or so, with only Ruh Kaan rivaling him. He's also a fan favorite because he's silly and Emperor puts on a good show with him in tourneys.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, I don't quite get the late 2017 release - the playerbase already seems pretty small (queuing for non-ranked games takes forever so the option might as well not even be there) and this certainly won't help.

idgi, where are you from? is BR really underrepresented in the US or something? i'm from europe and get matches within 30secs usually in afternoons/evenings (i only play 2v2). i dont think i've ever waited more than a minute for a match. even at odd times in the middle of the night queue times are quite fast. check to see what servers you get queued on, maybe that might be a problem? i get good pings to all EU servers, so i made sure all are checked.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Das Butterbrot posted:

idgi, where are you from? is BR really underrepresented in the US or something? i'm from europe and get matches within 30secs usually in afternoons/evenings (i only play 2v2). i dont think i've ever waited more than a minute for a match. even at odd times in the middle of the night queue times are quite fast. check to see what servers you get queued on, maybe that might be a problem? i get good pings to all EU servers, so i made sure all are checked.
BR is dead/dying in lots of regions. US is still holding up alright. Queue times were long as poo poo before the patch though.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Rook has probably been the top performing melee hero in tournaments for a month or so, with only Ruh Kaan rivaling him. He's also a fan favorite because he's silly and Emperor puts on a good show with him in tourneys.

Naaaah, I'd put Shifu and RK above him. Rook needs to go all-in to do anything, which makes him easily exploitable and heavily dependent on getting momentum right from the start. Can only speak for NA tho

edit: also a hotfix that (among other things) will give you roughly a division bump up after winning a game: http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/261604288204766144

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 15, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wow, I... I do not enjoy facing the new guy very much at all.

He is very very powerful

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Got silver 2 on my placement, stopped just shy of gold. figured 3-0ing a platinum team would give me a bigger push than 1/3 of a rank at silver but w/e.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
What does everyone think about the lasting potential of this game, post F2P launch and the initial player spike?

There's something of a debate on this point on the Battlerite subreddit and among the higher-level players. Arguments have been made that the game does not have a high enough skill ceiling to retain top players, and that causes people to not find it compelling enough to stick with it.

Countering that, others have said that the game isn't "sticky" yet because of non-gameplay reasons. Things like progression systems, limited cosmetic options, grindy-ness of the MMR (recently patched), etcetera.

Thoughts?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In my opinion, I think the latter is a far bigger issue than the former. There are plenty of games that aren't eSports competitive games that people play for fun. Given that Battlerite rounds aren't drawn out 45 minute slugfests, it's fine to rely on being kind of a fun beer and preztels style action game.

That said, stuff does start to feel kind of samey and pointless after awhile. The gameplay is fun, but the champion pool (compared to stuff like MOBAs) is small, the progression feels like after the first few levels you are making zero progress, and it'd take like 50 years of play to unlock any of the high end stuff with currency. Even then, a lot of the skins aren't particularly vivid or drastic changes, and I don't know if any of them (off the top of my head) change the spell effects to match or anything. The biggest problem is definitely queue times and matchmaking though. A bigger player pool will alleviate a lot of the issues, but they'd need to have hype built up for that and then go F2P. If they can get a big wave of people in, it'll mask a lot of the current issues because the game will have more to pull from, and the casual players that are the lifeblood of any game will not notice the high-end problems the "pro" players see.

Very few games any more are driven by their pro scene. If you've got a really hot game, you can push some exposure with eSports. League of Legends does that well, and I'm sure that has managed to draw in a number of players who wouldn't have otherwise played it in the long run. CS:GO has probably done the same thing. Outside of that though, I would say most games aren't actually driven by their pro community. League itself showed that at its core, it still recognizes that while the pro scene may be the flash, the casual players are the money. They moved their NA servers from California (where almost all of the NA pros were) to Chicago so that ping times would be more evenly distributed across the US rather than East Coast players getting shafted. Many of the actual professional players (as well as highly viewed streamers) bitched loudly about how it was unfair to them, and that it was more important to provide low pings to them than it was better pings to hundreds of thousands of other players. That did actually manage to stall the move for a little bit, until East Coast players started playing on the Latin America North server (which is actually based in Florida) because the game was drastically better for them. Riot realized that it would be better to have the pros be butthurt for a little bit than it would be to inconvenience the low level shitters because those people bought a whole lot more skins and champions than a few pros and streamers.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That's an extremely specific complaint cartoon about a game that is not super popular :v:

• Locked thread