Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

I know you're not trying to say otherwise but this has been the general trend for several years at this point. If I had to bring someone who hadn't played Magic since the 90s up to speed I'd probably tell them three things:

1. Combat damage no longer uses the stack.
2. Planeswalkers.
3. Creatures are generally better now, while non-creature spells are generally worse.

That's not to say there aren't lovely creatures or awesome spells anymore (the former more so than the latter), but it's been trending that way for a little too long and I say that as someone who likes creatures.

This is true. I just started with Innistrad, so I can only speak directly for 2010 onward.

gently caress I've been playing this game for over six years of my life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

From a business perspective, people picking up a pack at random from Wal-Mart or Target when they don't even play much probably needs to hold an even bigger priority. :(

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sickening posted:

While limited is a part of the game a lot of people enjoy, it still has to sell less packs than constructed. From a business prospective, constructed needs to hold a bigger priority.

Sure, I just don't think that the conflict right now is between constructed and limited. Putting Counterspell or Bolt or whatever at U instead of C for limited wouldn't make them prohibitively expensive for constructed; they just don't want to print those kind of cards anymore.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Common threats seem to be pretty fine, for what it's worth. Peema Outrider will do loving work, to say nothing of the crazy train.

That train is ridiculously over pushed for a common.

5/4 body on attack, trample, and immunity to sorcery speed creature removal is a brutal combination.

Windmill first pickable with very rare exceptions.

If it had been +1/+0, or didn't get trample, or was Crew 3...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Ask me about the time I got Depala, Sky Sovereign, and two Crazy Trains in my prerelease sealed pool.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is true. I just started with Innistrad, so I can only speak directly for 2010 onward.

gently caress I've been playing this game for over six years of my life?

If you've noticed this trend from 2010 onward then hoo boy you should go look at some old frame sets when you have a chance. Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire were considered too good to reprint in Fifth Edition, AKA the core set with Necropotence. There are other examples out there too, Sneak & Show and Reanimator in Legacy revolve around using old spells that become a lot more broken when you have sicknasty creatures to use with them (compared to what creatures were available when those cards were in print).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 14, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Voyager I posted:

I'm okay with powerful answers being printed at uncommon instead of common to make for a better limited environment; draft is a real part of the game, too. That seems to be working out alright in practice; many of the staple answers seeing play today are commons or uncommons. The problem is that the real good stuff just doesn't exist anymore at any rarity.

This. WoTC has over the last few years depowered most of the game in general.

The issue is that the midrange creatures and support have not been depowered, and have generally been growing stronger over the last few years in a contrast to everything else. Both Thragtusk and Avacyn were mistakes, but one of them was admitted to be a mistake (Thragtusk) while the other they refuse to think of it as a mistake in any way (Avacyn).

People want some form of variety in the game, and when every standard format (even with the twice-a-year rotation) turns into Gx or Wx or GW or GWx Midrange the metagame, people start getting incredibly sick of how little things actually change.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Basically what we need is Mana Leak in standard again.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I just wanna have a playable goblins deck again :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
How sweet would it be if revolt had the allied fast lands?

I am salty that they took two really popular blocks (zendikar and innistrad) and made sets that were a wet fart.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 14, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

If you've noticed this trend from 2010 onward then hoo boy you should go look at some old frame sets when you have a chance. Serra Angel and Sengir Vampire were considered too good to reprint in Fifth Edition, AKA the core set with Necropotence. There are other examples out there too, Sneak & Show and Reanimator in Legacy revolve around using old spells that become a lot more broken when you have sicknasty creatures to use with them (compared to what creatures were available when those cards were in print).

Back then you just Showed them Yawgmoth's Bargain. It was a lot different from now where you Show them.... Yawgmoth's Bargain.

Except it's also a 7/7 flying lifelinker.

Times really have changed.

As an aside: I really hate what Griselbrand did to those kind of decks. You used to have a couple different options and you chose which one you needed to suit your current situation. Now you just get Griselbrand.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

the Orb of Zot posted:

Good spells still exist, they just come attached to an X/X+1 now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's a reason every new card game that comes out is exclusively Magic's first main phase and combat phase stapled together with just enough instant/sorcery-type spells to make some variety. Hearthstone included. Marketing studies have shown that focusing a card game on creatures and creature combat is the best way to get young people interested.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

There's a reason every new card game that comes out is exclusively Magic's first main phase and combat phase stapled together with just enough instant/sorcery-type spells to make some variety. Hearthstone included. Marketing studies have shown that focusing a card game on creatures and creature combat is the best way to get young people interested.

The best way to get hateful old men like me interested is a non-interactive resource denial strategy that is actually viable.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

The best way to get hateful old men like me interested is a non-interactive resource denial strategy that is actually viable.

there was some old online ccg I played where the resource system was such that you only needed 15% of your deck or so to be mana sources (you could only have 5 in play at a time, and you gained a small amount of each resource even without mana sources). I got a bunch of stuff nerfed into unplayability, possibly single-handedly because barely anyone played it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

C-Euro posted:

I know you're not trying to say otherwise but this has been the general trend for several years at this point. If I had to bring someone who hadn't played Magic since the 90s up to speed I'd probably tell them three things:

1. Combat damage no longer uses the stack.
2. Planeswalkers.
3. Creatures are generally better now, while non-creature spells are generally worse.

That's not to say there aren't lovely creatures or awesome spells anymore (the former more so than the latter), but it's been trending that way for a little too long and I say that as someone who likes creatures.

I started playing Magic when Revised and Forgotten Empires were the new sets. I got out at Homelands.

When I got started getting back in during Theros the game was only barely recognizable to me. Things like counterspells getting so expensive and creatures being just ridiculously powerful even at the 1 and 2 CMC level took a lot of getting used to, not to mention the addition of Planeswalkers. Also a lot of common staples I had grown accustomed to building with (Dark Ritual, Lightning Bolt, etc) were missing and it was hard to figure out how to replace them efficiently.

If you haven't read the history articles on Goldfish I would recommend it so you can get a feel for the game us old people learned to play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ManMythLegend posted:

I started playing Magic when Revised and Forgotten Empires were the new sets. I got out at Homelands.

When I got started getting back in during Theros the game was only barely recognizable to me. Things like counterspells getting so expensive and creatures being just ridiculously powerful even at the 1 and 2 CMC level took a lot of getting used to, not to mention the addition of Planeswalkers. Also a lot of common staples I had grown accustomed to building with (Dark Ritual, Lightning Bolt, etc) were missing and it was hard to figure out how to replace them efficiently.

If you haven't read the history articles on Goldfish I would recommend it so you can get a feel for the game us old people learned to play.

My jaw dropped when I first saw Stormbreath Dragon.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

BJPaskoff posted:

Is that actually ~lore~ reasons? That Tezzeret went to Kaladesh because all these ultra-powerful artifacts found on other planes were being recreated by inventors on Kaladesh? That's a good reason why none of the Inventions are legendary except for Mox Opal, which is really just legendary for power level reasons anyway.

Making portals that non planes walkers can use is sort of a big deal since the only other group to have them were the phyrexians to invade dominaria.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Same except Spiritmonger.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The first card I opened was Prime Time.

It took years for me to realize just how broken that card was.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Some day that card will be playable in something good. Standard stormbreaths can't come soon enough.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Some day that card will be playable in something good. Standard stormbreaths can't come soon enough.

You should probably cut your losses and take it being a finisher in the Legacy "I hate my opponent" deck

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

the Orb of Zot posted:

The issue is that the midrange creatures and support have not been depowered, and have generally been growing stronger over the last few years in a contrast to everything else. Both Thragtusk and Avacyn were mistakes, but one of them was admitted to be a mistake (Thragtusk) while the other they refuse to think of it as a mistake in any way (Avacyn).

People want some form of variety in the game, and when every standard format (even with the twice-a-year rotation) turns into Gx or Wx or GW or GWx Midrange the metagame, people start getting incredibly sick of how little things actually change.

Avacyn was intentionally pushed just like Emrakul and the Gearhulks because WotC wanted them to see competitive play. That's dumb because making obvious competitive staples is boring as gently caress. Especially because some of the cycle is bound to be much better than the others. My favorite card they printed recently is Thraben Inspector because on the surface it looks like a draft chaff common but turns out to play better than it looks. You can use it as an aggro beater, you can use it to generate clue tokens, you can use it to crew vehicles, and you could even use it as a blocker in a control deck if they print a card like Ojutai's Command before it rotates.

Really not liking the WotC decree of "You will play our pushed mythics that are relevant to the story. Our market research indicates that seeing Emrakul on camera 50 times a tournament will make some kid that can't afford a standard deck that won't get demolished at FNM read our terrible fanfiction and become more invested in the game".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Thraben Inspector is really good design for a one drop and one that I think has a chance to grow in use in Modern and the eternal formats.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

My favorite thing from recent years is that Taigam's Scheming was playable in a decent deck for a time. You know they never saw that coming.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Ask me about the time I got Depala, Sky Sovereign, and two Crazy Trains in my prerelease sealed pool.

Sure, how did that go?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Yeah. Crazy. I mean look at a card like Force of Nature and then compare it to a modern 6 CMC creature. Or Hell, even most 4 CMC creatures these days.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

my Warcraft guild posted:

I just wanna have a playable goblins deck again :(

You can make a respectable Goblins deck in Modern. There's a Goblins deck in Pauper too but I don't know how good it is. But yeah same, I was building Legacy Goblins for a little while and am sad that it sucks (and double-sad that I traded away the Caverns of Souls I had picked up for it at $18/card :argh:)

Sickening posted:

I am salty that they took two really popular blocks (zendikar and innistrad) and made sets that were a wet fart.

Due to the connected story and mechanics beats between the two blocks (story moreso than mechanics I guess) I've always wondered if they weren't supposed to be like Lorwyn and Shadowmoor, and exist as one mega-block before the two-set block structure was proposed. Of course it might just be something they designed after the fact; "solve problem on one plane over two sets, go to other plane and solve related problem over two sets" may be the story structure they're going to take going forward. That's how BFZ/SOI went and it looks like KLD/Egypt is going the same way.

suicidesteve posted:

Same except Spiritmonger.

Spiritmonger rules and I want to play it in Modern :( But I don't know if it would be good enough, plus I don't know if they'd reprint something with regeneration.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Mtgfinance apparently is working on Jace Vryn's Prodigy... price has risen about $5 in the last couple weeks with zero play.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Skred is the real deal man :getin:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Skred is the real deal man :getin:

You know, I would build skred if I didn't already have a million modern decks I don't have time to play. But then I remember that I would have to spend about 60 bucks for snow covered mountains and I forget the idea for a few more weeks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ManMythLegend posted:

You originally played during the exact same period as me! Between the two worst sets in history.

I came back a little earlier, during Scars of Mirrodin block. The first new pack I opened had a Phyrexian Crusader, and my mind was blown that not only did they bring Poison Counters back, they were actually good now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Entropic posted:

You originally played during the exact same period as me! Between the two worst sets in history.

Fallen Empires was terrible, but I'll always have a soft spot for it because it gave us Goblin Grenade which I used to great effect in my old proto-burn deck.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

little munchkin posted:

there was some old online ccg I played where the resource system was such that you only needed 15% of your deck or so to be mana sources (you could only have 5 in play at a time, and you gained a small amount of each resource even without mana sources). I got a bunch of stuff nerfed into unplayability, possibly single-handedly because barely anyone played it.

Cardmaster Chaos!?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ManMythLegend posted:

Fallen Empires was terrible, but I'll always have a soft spot for it because it gave us Goblin Grenade which I used to great effect in my old proto-burn deck.

I think it says a lot about the set that the only two cards anyone remembers from it were commons.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

When I got started getting back in during Theros [...]

Almost same here, I stopped playing around Weatherlight, when I dug out my old cards around Theros era, they were mostly Revised, Forgotten Empires, Ice Age and Visions. With a bunch of Legends and some random The Dark (black border, not the Legends reprints). And most other sets in that era here and there.

So many goblins, thallids and thrulls...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I think it says a lot about the set that the only two cards anyone remembers from it were commons.

There's actually 3 commons people remember from it! (Goblin Grenade, High Tide, and Hymn to Tourach). Night Soil and the pump knights weren't the worst cards back in the day either. I actually really like the flavor and setting of this continent slowly being squeezed by the ice age, and I think it comes across decently in the flavor text. That might be because I like history, though

The set is still awful, of course.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Elyv posted:

Night Soil and the pump knights

Band name!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

C-Euro posted:

You can make a respectable Goblins deck in Modern. There's a Goblins deck in Pauper too but I don't know how good it is. But yeah same, I was building Legacy Goblins for a little while and am sad that it sucks (and double-sad that I traded away the Caverns of Souls I had picked up for it at $18/card :argh:)
Legacy goblins isn't as bad as you think. It won SCG Atlanta and breaks into the top8 as much as any other tier two deck. To me, goblins plays like a faster aluren or other creature based combo deck because you get so much utility and tutoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Was Icatian Javelineers from FE? I remember playing that a fair bit when it got timeshifted, because TSP block constructed was a PTQ format for some weird reason.

• Locked thread