Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

so a chinese company gave their product a weirdly racist name?

I'm too :effort: to look up the actual mandarin name of the product but I think it could just be an unfortunate accident. For example I suspect "dingdong" might be a pun on the phrase "tingdong", meaning to understand by hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Jaguars! posted:

Dumb marketing...

... or good marketing????

A subtle one:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Surveyors wanted - engineer shirt supplied. Renumeration no barrier to candidate with suitably wide, staring eyes

Found a box of these under the stairs between New Zealand Farmer 1986-89 and a box of chequebook stubs from 1976.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Right now on Pandora are a series of just plain dumb commercials about a happy couple celebrating the holidays...with water softener rock salt. They get super excited giving each other it for xmas, and another has the husband hiding from his in-laws in the basement putting the salt in. They're ridiculous.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Choco1980 posted:

Right now on Pandora are a series of just plain dumb commercials about a happy couple celebrating the holidays...with water softener rock salt. They get super excited giving each other it for xmas, and another has the husband hiding from his in-laws in the basement putting the salt in. They're ridiculous.

Oh good, I was wondering what to get my boyfriend for Christmas. This'll be perfect!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If your water is hard, just let it thaw because that's ice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jaguars! posted:

Surveyors wanted - engineer shirt supplied. Renumeration no barrier to candidate with suitably wide, staring eyes

Found a box of these under the stairs between New Zealand Farmer 1986-89 and a box of chequebook stubs from 1976.
This is amazing and I want it.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Getting such a Harrison Ford/Tron vibe from that textbook.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Full size:
http://i.imgur.com/SWIIrCC.jpg
I mean, if you really, really want the original, PM me.

Sadly no video

pehaps a the 90s-est things thread would be a better match for this one.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ah, the registered valuer approach.

"Yeah, sure I visited the place, no-one was home."

*shits out report in 15 minutes based on existing sales data*

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Idgi :confused:

All I can tell is that the guys are photoshopped in.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Idgi :confused:

All I can tell is that the guys are photoshopped in.

The people in Jaguars' surveying pamphlet had that look of "poorly composited in," which reminded me of that infamous masterpiece of Chinese bureaucratic publicity:

Floating Chinese Government Officials Inspect New Road

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I don't...think that surveyor picture is photoshopped. That's just a really newly paved street.

And holy poo poo look at the antenna on that walkie talkie.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't...think that surveyor picture is photoshopped. That's just a really newly paved street.

And holy poo poo look at the antenna on that walkie talkie.

If the text's editorial quality is any indication of the publication's ability to create doctored images, that image is definitely not photoshopped.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Pastry of the Year posted:

The people in Jaguars' surveying pamphlet had that look of "poorly composited in," which reminded me of that infamous masterpiece of Chinese bureaucratic publicity:

Thanks! :)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's more the quality of the scan than anything, the shadows are visible in the original. Printed on beautiful glossy paper too.

Can we take a moment to admire those mom jeans? Every possible contour of the body is eliminated. It's like the platonic ideal of early 90's mom jeans.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jaguars! posted:

Solid bright pink sweater with mom jeans, and a huuuuuge antenna

this is definitely super 80s

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Not to mention the yuppie suit being worn on a construction site.

Then again, I wasn't born in the '80s, so this may have been accurate.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Zaphod42 posted:

The 80s didn't end in New Zealand until about 1998

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jaguars! posted:

Can we take a moment to admire those mom jeans? Every possible contour of the body is eliminated. It's like the platonic ideal of early 90's mom jeans.

I don't know what you expect? It' a survey site. A job. You want some skinny jeans with the rear end cut out or what?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Zaphod42 posted:

nah bro that's 1993 as gently caress honestly

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

InediblePenguin posted:

nah bro that's 1993 as gently caress honestly

Gotta agree with that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

I don't know what you expect? It' a survey site. A job. You want some skinny jeans with the rear end cut out or what?

Overalls or a jumpsuit. Dress for the job. Not like you're heading to a PTSA bake sale.

People must have snagged those walkie talkie antennas on everything.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jaguars! posted:

Full size:
No, that giant version will do.

But I mean, it's close. Surveying is a rewarding career :eng101:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
CEX has a bunch of terrible posters of halfassed mascots and movie/game references but one always tickles me - I can't find a picture of the poster online unfortunately but he looks like a grimdark Crimson Chin from Fairly Odd Parents and I find that kinda hilarious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Full size:

Sadly no video

When was it published? The woman looks like a walking early nineties stereotype.

e: should have scrolled down.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Dec 16, 2016

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Krispy Kareem posted:

People must have snagged those walkie talkie antennas on everything.
I'd bet there was quite a bit of walkie-talkie sword fighting going on.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Pastry of the Year posted:

Proclick. The photoshops but also the comments.

quote:

upon clicking and seeing the photo, I spit out half a liter of blood!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Saw my first commercial for Cracker Barrell over the weekend. There are no Cracker Barrells in this state. The channel wasn't even a standard channel for most hotel cable packages, so you can't even argue it's for the tourists when they head back home. I even had to go out of my way to find the nearest one, because the radius for the locator on their website doesn't stretch far enough.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

Saw my first commercial for Cracker Barrell over the weekend. There are no Cracker Barrells in this state. The channel wasn't even a standard channel for most hotel cable packages, so you can't even argue it's for the tourists when they head back home. I even had to go out of my way to find the nearest one, because the radius for the locator on their website doesn't stretch far enough.

Do people in your state travel on interstate highways?

Cracker Barrels are all over that poo poo. Maybe they just occasionally advertise outside their region so when you're driving through Indiana or some poo poo and see a Cracker Barrel billboard you know what it is.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I uh, just heard the weirdest ad on pandora.

*sexy seductive woman* ooh Santa, let me see that big package you have for me...
*sexy...santa?* not this time...this one is for your husband!
*woman* what?
*sexy santa proceeds to talk about xl sized pants*

What did I just listen to?!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

*sexy seductive woman* ooh Santa, let me see that big package you have for me...
*woman* what?

She's clearly into fat dudes; that game was Santa's to lose.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I was more surprised by the fact that they used Santa's bisexual dong to sell pants

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

*woman* what?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets that weird ad on pandora.

As far as I can tell, someone at the ad office just thought up the bait-and-switch on 'sexy santa' and then just figured that'd carry the ad, despite it having nothing at all to do with the product advertised :psyduck:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I've heard it on Spotify too, so it's making the rounds.

Of course, Spotify was also the place that I saw an ad for Cyber Monday proclaiming "Let's Cyber!"

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

idk seems to me that 'weird' and 'sexy' are more in the brilliant category than dumb when it comes to advertisements- sounds like a quick, inexpensive spot that's stuck with a lot of you- y'all remember that its for pants, for instance

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Of course, Spotify was also the place that I saw an ad for Cyber Monday proclaiming "Let's Cyber!"

To be fair, nobody has used cyber to mean that in like 10 years.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

idk seems to me that 'weird' and 'sexy' are more in the brilliant category than dumb when it comes to advertisements- sounds like a quick, inexpensive spot that's stuck with a lot of you- y'all remember that its for pants, for instance

Took an intro to advertising design class in college. Day one the teacher outlined that it was an insta-fail if you used sex or puns in any of your projects because that was the easy way out. Of course, the real world doesn't have to adhere to that restriction, but yeah sex is just the laziest way imaginable to sell something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Took an intro to advertising design class in college. Day one the teacher outlined that it was an insta-fail if you used sex or puns in any of your projects because that was the easy way out. Of course, the real world doesn't have to adhere to that restriction, but yeah sex is just the laziest way imaginable to sell something.

I remember reading a study that proved that sex gets attention but is a terrible way to sell things. People seeing an advert with a sexy woman will remember the woman pretty well but tend to forget everything else.