Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I've just skimmed some Mercy books, but from that and what I've seen online I think I'd favor Kate Daniels just because she has female friends instead of being victim of a mean girls clique for sleeping with the resident alpha dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
First novel Mercy...really, don't feel bad for just skipping the internal dialogue. It's really unnecessary. The romance plays into the story nicely enough for the genre, but her thoughts, oh god her thoughts.

Mars4523 posted:

I've just skimmed some Mercy books, but from that and what I've seen online I think I'd favor Kate Daniels just because she has female friends instead of being victim of a mean girls clique for sleeping with the resident alpha dude.

That's not a completely unfair criticism, but it is a series, and that changes as the books improve, the series widens its scope.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 7, 2016

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

mistaya posted:

... Evil Hat is releasing Dresden Files: Accelerated soon as well, (no eta yet but the beta's been around for over a year) and it's both excellent and way easier to get into than the old DFRPG game. Wish we'd get an update on when that's coming out though...

An email this morning:

Fred Hicks / Evil Hat posted:

Hello, and good news!
We have a preview of Dresden Files Accelerated available to you.

It's backers only, I believe, but that does answer the question of why we haven't heard anything for a bit--they were readying another release.

Additionally:

Fred Hicks / Evil Hat posted:

We'll only be able to act on feedback received before December 31st, though, so sooner is better than later. :)
This early-peek version of DFA is missing a few pieces of art (those are the magenta rectangles found throughout), and we're still working on getting the index, final proofing, and some of the back-of-the-book material done (tho there is a character sheet and a cheat sheet spread in there already). We'll be working on finishing this up between now and the end of January, with an eye on a preorder early next year and the shipping and release of the game come Summer.
Thanks again, and always, for your support! This book was the big final stretch goal of Fate Core, and y'all helped us over the finish line at rocket speed. :) You're the best!
-- Evil Hat

So it's likely to be released soon'ish.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

tithin posted:

Finished The Hanging Tree, what an absolutely great book.

Late to the party, but what the gently caress, there are 6 of these now? Time to get readin'

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I also just finished The Hanging Tree. Knocked it out in a couple of days and I loved every minute of it. I guess I'll start the Mercy Thompson books since I'm caught up on everything else.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I haven't been following for a while, but did Butcher hit a wall on the Dresden Files? I hope he hasn't lost interest in finishing it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Subvisual Haze posted:

I haven't been following for a while, but did Butcher hit a wall on the Dresden Files? I hope he hasn't lost interest in finishing it.

Only a wall in the sense of the books becoming longer and more complex. As far as I've heard he's still working on them fine.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Subvisual Haze posted:

Well, we've had a Molly-POV short ('Cold Case', in Shadowed Souls) get published on 1 November and the Butters-POV short 'Day One' was just published in Unfettered II. No word yet on the Luccio-POV short 'A Fistful of Warlocks' (to be published in Straight Outta Tombstone), though.

I'm kind of peeved by how low-key Waldo's first day is compared to Molly's, though.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I've been poking through the feedback copy of Dresden Accelerated and it's good. It's way more accessible and playable than the legacy Dresden Files RPG. It remains a very narrative-focused game while also having a much more structured ruleset. It also as new Fey Knight mantles, the Erlking's Huntmaster and Kringle's Senechal. Kringle's Senechal gets an optional ability where it can borrow Kringle's sleigh. There's also rules for playing a Valkyrie, a full-blooded Fae, and a Red Court Vampire. There's also very fun-looking rules for playing various specialized kinds of mortals like Criminals, Law Enforcement, Supernatural Experts, and others.

It's really, really good.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

-Fish- posted:

I've been poking through the feedback copy of Dresden Accelerated and it's good. It's way more accessible and playable than the legacy Dresden Files RPG. It remains a very narrative-focused game while also having a much more structured ruleset. It also as new Fey Knight mantles, the Erlking's Huntmaster and Kringle's Senechal. Kringle's Senechal gets an optional ability where it can borrow Kringle's sleigh. There's also rules for playing a Valkyrie, a full-blooded Fae, and a Red Court Vampire. There's also very fun-looking rules for playing various specialized kinds of mortals like Criminals, Law Enforcement, Supernatural Experts, and others.

It's really, really good.

New mantles? I feel like I have to track down a copy to keep up with the lore.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

New mantles? I feel like I have to track down a copy to keep up with the lore.

Kringle's Senechal may be the best new lore addition to the series I've ever seen.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

-Fish- posted:

Kringle's Senechal may be the best new lore addition to the series I've ever seen.

Care to elaborate? behind spoilers if you're concerned

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

tithin posted:

Care to elaborate? behind spoilers if you're concerned

The purpose of Kringle's Senechal is to foster and grow mortal belief in Santa Claus and his various incarnations. It has access to the Naughty and Nice list and can use that to determine what the greatest desire of an NPC is, and if it's not already in a scene it can abruptly declare that it was in disguise as one of the NPCs the entire time.
You can opt into abilities that give you access to the sack of toys, Santa's sleigh, illusion magic, the ability to sense failed attempts to summon Santa and show up in a nearly perfect Santa disguise, and a stunt that gives you just a flat bonus to actions committed in the name of strengthening mortal belief in Santa.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

that owns

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything good / noteworthy in UF that's set in the 19th / early-20th century?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there anything good / noteworthy in UF that's set in the 19th / early-20th century?

I enjoyed The Golem and the Jinni - it's set in turn-of-the-20th-century New York, and features, sure enough, a Golem and a Jinni.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Wizchine posted:

I enjoyed The Golem and the Jinni - it's set in turn-of-the-20th-century New York, and features, sure enough, a Golem and a Jinni.

I was coming here to link that- lovely book.

It's definitely a sort of urban fantasy, and it's just a very fun book with interesting characters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will certainly add that one to the list.

Still, I'm surprised nobody's really a done much like that already. You could do, say, a Buffy crossed with a Pygmalion or a Trilby with Count Dracula as the big bad and it'd be a natural fit. You know, like the young adult version of Penny Dreadful or something; just get the sets from that, cast a CW type as the lead, get a posh-sounding British guy as the enigmatic mentor and your're all set. I reckon something like that would do well on television. I should like to write something like that if I had the ability, but since I don't, I would settle for reading it. :D

I read Kim Newman's Angels of Music when it came out a couple of months ago; it's not urban fantasy but it's tons of fun. Many of the references are even more oblique than Anno Dracula, but it's Charlie's Angels if the Angels were the heroines of late Victorian / Edwardian literature and Charlie was the Phantom of the Opera. There's a story which is 50% Mission Impossible and 50% James Bond where the villain is Charles Foster Kane trying to foment a war between the British Empire and France using a council of second-rate pulp bad guys. What's not to like? :D

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Bonnono posted:

I just noticed this on my Amazon recommended items list

Bound Alex Veras

Had no idea it was coming out this quickly.

Next April, you mean? He's been pretty good amount getting a book done every year, though

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books. They're YA and silly, but reasonably fun. The Anno Dracula books by Kim Newman might scratch that itch (decidedly NOT YA). The Bartimeus (sp?) books by Johnathan Stroud (also YA and silly)

If you can handle Orson Scott Card and "non-Mormonism-seriously-you-guys", read the Alvin Maker, but, much like Dune, stop when you don't like them anymore.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

navyjack posted:

Maybe Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books. They're YA and silly, but reasonably fun. The Anno Dracula books by Kim Newman might scratch that itch (decidedly NOT YA). The Bartimeus (sp?) books by Johnathan Stroud (also YA and silly)

Oh, yeah, I love Anno Dracula. There's a new one coming out early next year (another short story collection) then book five's out some time in the autumn.

I'm a bit disappointed there weren't any author's notes or annotations for Johnny Alucard. Those are always fun.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What a good book.

Anyone know if the BBC adaptation is any good?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

flosofl posted:

What a good book.

I enjoyed it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

flosofl posted:

What a good book.

Very good, even if you haven't read the book. Costumes and sets are chosen excellently well. Very faithful to the book overall but changes the ending a bit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not strictly UF, but more people should read Avram Davidson's Doctor Esterhazy stories.

e: drat, there's a new Kim Newman out? Need to get that asap.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 12, 2016

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

navyjack posted:

The Bartimeus (sp?) books by Johnathan Stroud (also YA and silly)

I liked those books. Goofy magi-punk with the snarkiest demon I've read about in a while.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Robot Wendigo posted:

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers?

This is a good suggestion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Very good, even if you haven't read the book. Costumes and sets are chosen excellently well. Very faithful to the book overall but changes the ending a bit.

The only thing I disliked about the BBC adaptation is that the Man with the Thistle Down Hair was a lot more menacing than I pictured. I always thought he was scary because he was genial and friendly even when doing horrible things but the BBC version is basically nasty 24/7

Also I recommend giving Anno Dracula a shot. It's a bit weird but at very least is amazing for how many references it can fit in per second.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Great book, yeah.

flosofl posted:

What a good book.

If that's the miniseries on Netflix, yeah, it's amazing.

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing I disliked about the BBC adaptation is that the Man with the Thistle Down Hair was a lot more menacing than I pictured. I always thought he was scary because he was genial and friendly even when doing horrible things but the BBC version is basically nasty 24/7

Also I recommend giving Anno Dracula a shot. It's a bit weird but at very least is amazing for how many references it can fit in per second.

I loved his perpetual menace. Being able to be sinister when standing completely properly is a real art. I can see what you're saying, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

In addition to some of the others already mentioned (particularly anything by Kim Newman or Tim Powers), Freedom and Necessity by Stephen Brust and Emma Bull.

Territory by Bull is also extremely good, though it's a straight-up fantasy western (set around the events leading up to the OK Corral shootout).

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

navyjack posted:

Maybe Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate books.

A warning - they're very much twee stick-some-gears-on-brown-clothes 2nd generation steampunk (i.e. no consideration of the politics, all the nobility are kind wonderful chaps, etc)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

A warning - they're very much twee stick-some-gears-on-brown-clothes 2nd generation steampunk (i.e. no consideration of the politics, all the nobility are kind wonderful chaps, etc)

This is absolutely accurate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't tend to be especially keen on steampunk, or most things ending in "-punk".

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't tend to be especially keen on steampunk, or most things ending in "-punk".

The word's been overused to the point of meaninglessness. Early cyberpunk was called that because it actually had a punk-rock ethos; somehow it became a catch-all phrase for "sci-fi what has cyberspace and cyborg arms in it." Same for steampunk (Victorian filth and squalor, fighting the corrupt aristocracy? Nah, just glue some gears on your hat and wear goggles.) I'm not sure if it was a deliberate watering down (publishers wanting to jump on a bandwagon and use the -punk thing for marketing), or people just not getting why the genres were coined that in the first place.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

StonecutterJoe posted:

The word's been overused to the point of meaninglessness. Early cyberpunk was called that because it actually had a punk-rock ethos; somehow it became a catch-all phrase for "sci-fi what has cyberspace and cyborg arms in it." Same for steampunk (Victorian filth and squalor, fighting the corrupt aristocracy? Nah, just glue some gears on your hat and wear goggles.) I'm not sure if it was a deliberate watering down (publishers wanting to jump on a bandwagon and use the -punk thing for marketing), or people just not getting why the genres were coined that in the first place.

It's always business marketing, and also the co-opting authors themselves basically writing only the cool bits of the genre that they liked without an understanding of the finer politics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Good steampunk is universally militantly political, usually militantly Marxist, or at least Dickensian--mieville, or Iron Dragons Daughter.

The trick everyone misses about writing about the Victorian era is you can't romanticize it. you need the work houses and poverty and class war and exploitation and opium dens and black lung, or its just playing dress up.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good steampunk is universally militantly political, usually militantly Marxist, or at least Dickensian--mieville, or Iron Dragons Daughter.

The trick everyone misses about writing about the Victorian era is you can't romanticize it. you need the work houses and poverty and class war and exploitation and opium dens and black lung, or its just playing dress up.

People like to forget that in the Victorian time less than 20 % were "Middle Class" (ie still have to work, but overall rather well-off, owned more than the clothes on their backs, could buy useless poo poo), 5 % who didn't need to work for their income, 1 % was super rich and the other 75 % lived somewhere between a slum dweller/garbage collector in India, a subsistence farmer in Bangladesh and a migrant worker in a Chinese sweat shop.
If your time traveling heroine stranded there she would be a lot more likely to pick dog poo poo out of the horse manure on the street to sell it to a tanner than host fancy tea parties for Queen Victoria on her airship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I finally managed to get a copy of Unfettered 2 just for Day One. The WoW references were a bit forced in my opinion, but seeing Butters actually go through the experience and narrate it firsthand was great. Especially how the Almighty spoke through him without actually using him as a puppet like some powers would. Just a gentle nudge, more or less, but it was Butters own voice.

The pep talk was fantastic, too.