Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bump_fn posted:

how bad are the new iOS and macOS updates should i not install them

how much do you like TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

how much do you like TV

i don't even own a tv

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

akadajet posted:

never update

i think i'm like two major ios versions behind; hitting the stupid "remind me later" button on the nag popup is like muscle memory at this point

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ios 10 has been, by everything i've observed, an aggressively bad update

ios 6 was a step backwards in functionality in a few areas but still functional

ios 7 began the degradation of both visual usability and overall functionality

ios 8 built on the terrible choices of ios 7

ios 9 began the trend of degrading performance in addition to usability and functionality

ios 10 seems to be actively hostile to users in multiple ways, now including when the user wants to watch videos

i suspect ios 11 (if they call it that) will be the last ios overseen by tim

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Mad Wack posted:

on my old mac i had a button on the side i could press and lights would light up to let me know how charged the battery was, this was extremely helpful when i was packing my bags or deciding what to charge in an airport i want it back

Is that an actual battery charge gauge or what the actual battery life is? My old Dell laptop had a button on the battery that I could press and it would show the actual health of the battery by how many LEDs lit up.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bump_fn posted:

iOS 10.2 is very nice on my iPhone 7 Plus. Battery life seems to have improved and I like the new single signon for TV providers. Tim and Craig have done it again

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

trilljester posted:

iOS 10.2 is very nice on my iPhone 7 Plus. Battery life seems to have improved and I like the new single signon for TV providers. Tim and Craig have done it again

does this mean i can use some else's cable login to watch cable tv for free

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

bump_fn posted:

does this mean i can use some else's cable login to watch cable tv for free

Xfinity isn't on there yet, but DirectTV is.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
🤡
🤠
🤣
🥑

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

trilljester posted:

Is that an actual battery charge gauge or what the actual battery life is? My old Dell laptop had a button on the battery that I could press and it would show the actual health of the battery by how many LEDs lit up.

it was how much juice was in that charge of the battery - one dot you are hosed, five or more you are good to go brotherrrr

i had it on my 2011

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I was playing with an xps 15 at best buy and it was unsurprisingly made I'd cheap creaky plastic. the hinge was so tight that if you try to open it with one hand, you just lift the whole laptop off the table. I don't know if this is better or worse than other laptops where it lifts partway before the bottom finally drops down slamming on the table. but I guess that's intentional since they didn't bother to design a lip into the front to actually grab it by, so you have to shove your fingernails in between the tiny gap to actually open it. the actual surprising thing is that anyone would recommend a Dell. I assume shaggar is just trolling at the point. even a surface book isn't that bad.

its not made of plastic

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

bump_fn posted:

the worlds best and most advanced os just got better

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the latest ios, watchos and macos work great for me. they're the newest updates ever

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i install the update for the new emojis and im not looking back

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

bump_fn posted:

i install the update for the new emojis and im not looking back

they changed the dancer emoji to do the chome dance 💃

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm thinking that Timb....

*puts on google glass*

is COOKED lmao!!1

*yeaaaaahhhhhhhhh*

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Despite me hating google's lovely business plans, I hope google pixel has a few more sales than iPhone 7.

Then soon...Tim Cook will be served...and it will taste delicious!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This is what the pods come with. You can't even charge the fuckers with your new mac book pro. Apple owners getting trolled hard as gently caress.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

might i suggest investing in to some artesanal dongles?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This is what the pods come with. You can't even charge the fuckers with your new mac book pro. Apple owners getting trolled hard as gently caress.

lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the worlds best and most advanced os just got better

red hat enterprise linux didn't get updated tho???

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

How loving hard would it be to include a usb type-c to lightning cable with all your new garbage starting today and include this $5 adapter in the box

Jesus christ apple

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

help help I bought a $2500 laptop and $200 headphones but cant afford a $10 USB-C because im fully broke now send halp

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

they're wireless earbuds just charge them wirelessly duh

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Why don't they just make a briefcase that only charges your 2016 macbook pro, and the briefcase doubles as a power bank, and you charge it with just a lightning plug. I swear to god they'll come up with something else that's just as stupid as that loving earbud case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i imagine next year's ios devices will be shipping with the usb-c to lightning cable they already make.

it is strange that they are not including it with earpods tho

incidentally, the apple tv 4 has a usb-c port on it, but comes with a usb-a to lightning cable so you can even charge the remote with it

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 14, 2016

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hey guys remember when Steve was sacked from the apple during the 1980s and the apple became poo poo-rear end and then get came back and things got better again, and then Steve jobs died in 2011 and all this happened well

I think Apple knows what to do

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
hire steve jobs' daughter?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
bring back woz

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

get forstall, former head of iOS and OS X development, back pronto.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Preview of Apple Press Conference in a couple weeks:
Tim paces the stage and in his sexy southern drawl says

in the 90's
Steve Jobs took apple back from the dead
and now it's time for apple
to return the favour

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

hey guys remember when Steve was sacked from the apple during the 1980s and the apple became poo poo-rear end and then get came back and things got better again, and then Steve jobs died in 2011 and all this happened well

I think Apple knows what to do

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

r u ready to WALK posted:

How loving hard would it be to include a usb type-c to lightning cable with all your new garbage starting today and include this $5 adapter in the box

Jesus christ apple

maybe their dongle factories are already operating at max capacity

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Preview of Apple Press Conference in a couple weeks:
Tim paces the stage and in his sexy southern drawl says

in the 90's
Steve Jobs took apple back from the dead
and now it's time for apple
to return the favour

*tim kills self on stage and has apple buried with him*

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
why'd you eat the fruit Steve

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

yippee cahier posted:

they don't know or they would have left it in. same reason your car doesn't tell you how many days you have until you need to fill up.

You know the correct car analogy is miles remaining. And every car made in the last 10 years does in fact perform this calculation that and adjusts the estimate in realtime as you change driving behavior and it is useful.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
Steve jobs is dead

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo
That's the fourth time I've said that today

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Moreleth posted:

That's the fourth time I've said that today

do you read all your posts out loud while typing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

quit living in the past. kilometres are the future my friend. behold my base ten supremacy.

• Locked thread