Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Has something like that ever happened with any online server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not entirely sure what the point is of tanking ogre's melee capabilities so much, but all it means is that i'll probably never play one of my favorite races again because there's others that can hit things worth a drat and ones that can actually cast spells better at the same time

i'm not sure that being a fat sack of hp and being able to carry a weapon class that you're not even proficient in is worth the annoyance of the lovely start

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

I realize I never provided my opinion on removing high elves: meh. I would probably say the same thing about mountain dwarves if I was playing when that happened.

I'm slightly more upset about the Ogre change. I feel M&F was a bit too high, but it probably should have been lowered to +1, or 0 at the lowest (matching the Throwing aptitude at least).

there's an interesting question about the purpose of aptitudes. are they intended as a guide for players, "this is what this race should do?" (for example, ogres +4 m&f apt, or mf's +4 polearms apt, both say, correctly, "You should be using this specific weapon class with this race.")

or, are they intended to counterbalance other factors so that players are encouraged to use a wide variety of approaches with each race? for example, tengu have strong melee & casting apts, which make them well suited to 'hybrid' playstyles. most hybrids tend to want to use charms and tloc spells, to synergize with spellcasting stats & melee skills, but tengu have -2 in both charms and tloc, pushing them away from the obvious approach. (but without forbidding it entirely.) ogres' current m&f apts can be seen as being in the same vein - the existence of giant clubs & gscs push ogres toward m&f, but a low apt pushes them away again, suggesting different viable playstyles with the race.

a third approach is an apt that does push a race in a certain direction, but not overwhelmingly. hill orcs have +3 axes (vs +1 for other weapon classes), which means that axes are usually better for them than other classes, but a good early weapon from one of the other classes can reasonably prompt a switch.

i think that the latter two approaches are probably better than the former, and it's probably a good thing that ogres no longer have massive m&f apts. i'm not going to say that the current numbers are exactly right - i suspect that ogres might be a little "too weak" now, though I haven't played with them myself post-change! - but i think it's a move in the right direction.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

Has something like that ever happened with any online server?

hellcrawl is playable right now, on both beartato and c3po. i think that circus animals might have had a server at some point? but i forget.

wouldn't be surprised if crawl light or crawl alternative had servers, in ancient times.

in general, we're more than happy to help fork developers out, both in terms of the codebase and helping people go through the server hosting process.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Not if we want our wins recorded online. Or want spectators. Or want to post our morgues for advice.

For the second point, streaming sites are available and you can always post a link in the thread or the Discord. For the third, the functionality to dump a morgue is already a function of the game, and you can proceed to paste bin it for advice.

You got me beat on the first unless you want to set up your own scoring server or get it approved as a scored branch option on one of the existing servers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess since the lessened the magic penalties so much they had to compensate in mnf or you'd have an op character ??

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

in general, we're more than happy to help fork developers out, both in terms of the codebase and helping people go through the server hosting process.
But no server admin has seen an upcoming change and gone, "Nah, I don't think I'll implement that one." I'd imagine, right?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

odiv posted:

But no server admin has seen an upcoming change and gone, "Nah, I don't think I'll implement that one." I'd imagine, right?

that'd be a lot of work!

the only server i'm aware of that runs its own fork is the korean server, and that's so that they can hack in all kinds of stuff, like sound and a korean translation (!?). most server admins want to put as little work in as possible, which is only sensible, given how much we pay them :)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

PleasingFungus posted:

I personally consider this to be a feature, not a bug. (It's also one of the way that heavy armours are balanced!)

Oh yeah, it's fine as-is!

I'm more rambling about the ~magical theory world~ where a perma-buff system is implemented, since it seems like it'd most buff big dumb melee types in heavy armor who never intend to otherwise cast a spell.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Floodkiller posted:

For the second point, streaming sites are available and you can always post a link in the thread or the Discord. For the third, the functionality to dump a morgue is already a function of the game, and you can proceed to paste bin it for advice.

Requiring outside services for functions I used to have at my fingertips. And crawl has plenty enough lag without trying to stream.

Now I guess I get to start a list of things that need to be fixed:
* rMut
* Malmutate
* High level buffs
* Ogre M&F apt
* Pan runes take too long to spawn

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I wouldn't mind a crawl fork similar to SLASH'EM. Just throw in all the old and experimental content, as well as whatever else people take the effort to code, and don't bother with game balance or having a difficulty curve.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Isn't the nostalgia branch still kicking around?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
EHE turned three years old this month..

an aberration... or an inspiration??

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Konstantin posted:

I wouldn't mind a crawl fork similar to SLASH'EM. Just throw in all the old and experimental content, as well as whatever else people take the effort to code, and don't bother with game balance or having a difficulty curve.
Just go all the way and make it Crawlhack.

"An ancient zyme comes into view. You feel sick. You don't have a unicorn horn. Do you want your possessions identified?"

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I mostly agree with the viewpoint of the second and third uses as well. I don't feel that players should need a guide past the generalizations that the second point provides, but I think the third is also important for differentiation.

I think about aptitudes for a species like this:
1) What is the baseline aptitude for this species, based on the strengths and weaknesses it derives from any special mutations/abilities, stats, HP/MP/XP. Species who come out with a better aptitude baseline likely have less going for them in other areas to compensate.
2) What are the general fields of expertise for this species? Melee/ranged/spellcasting/stealth/defenses/etc? Are they better or worse at these than normal? This is what helps to differentiates this species from other species, usually raising or lowering these fields 1-2 points from the baseline.
3) Does this species need to be better/worse at something specific to further differentiate/specialize it? This is an optional step based on how bland the species currently is after reaching Step 2, and should be limited to a couple skills or less (not venturing too far from whatever the field's aptitude level is from Step 2) that should be chosen either for flavor or to assist supporting one of their special mutations/abilities. The variance can be greater if there is no companion skills in the same field (like Invocations, Stealth, or Fighting).

Based on this, I feel that M&F being at +3 compared to other weapon schools was definitely too much specialization compared to all the other weapon skills, discouraging other avenues of choice. However, I feel that the correct change to encourage different choices would be to bring most of the weapon skills to -1 as a baseline, with a couple popping up to 0 (like polearms/staves/m&f) for that third step of specialization. Likewise, the ranged combat aptitudes could likely be flattened to -2, with Throwing at -1 (or remaining at 0, if you don't want to be picky).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Can we all at least agree that Crab Form should be a spell?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Please rename Ogres as Kludge Elves, make their fluff something about how the Ultimate Transmutation merged all the Sludge Elves and High Elves into one race the size of them both combined.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Please rename Ogres as Kludge Elves, make their fluff something about how the Ultimate Transmutation merged all the Sludge Elves and High Elves into one race the size of them both combined.

Smudge elves

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So as a new player who plays High Elves almost exclusively, what's a good alternative that combines the really good magic aptitudes with the survivability and flexibility or the high elf?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tweet my meat posted:

So as a new player who plays High Elves almost exclusively, what's a good alternative that combines the really good magic aptitudes with the survivability and flexibility or the high elf?

Human, probably

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

the survivability of the high elf

???

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
As in not a glass cannon like the deep elf.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

tweet my meat posted:

Tengu, except you can't use charms, hexes, translocations, or transmutations. OK, so they're not flexible, but you can still use conjurations. Also your HP will be 10% lower and you can't use helmets or boots.

e: you can fly and peck things with your beak though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Found the Sword of Jihad before Lair. How far do you think I can get before the berserkitis kills me?

cheetah7071 posted:

Human, probably

Really is this. Deep elves are slanted really heavily towards pure magic and tengu can be very frustrating due to their fragility and weird apts. They certainly don't have anywhere near the flexibility that high elves had.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Tengu, except you can't use charms, hexes, translocations, or transmutations. OK, so they're not flexible, but you can still use conjurations. Also your HP will be 10% lower and you can't use helmets or boots.

At level 14, Tengu can wear exactly one pair of boots, -1 boots of running

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Smudge elves

Grudge Elves, with all the best apts and innates of Sludge Elves, High Elves, Grey Elves, Mountain Dwarves, Hill Dwarves, Gnomes, Ogre Mages, and whatever other races I'm forgetting. That can innately cast Singularity and Tomb of Doroklohe and pre-glow Haste, along with all the brands and marginal defensive buffs.

All enemies are renamed after devs.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

tweet my meat posted:

Pick a healthy species with decent magic aptitudes and go Chei.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Guys the king hybrid nowadays is Merfolk. :colbert:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Thanks for getting Polearms taken down to -2 for Mf :mad:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Speleothing posted:

Can I pause this argument for a moment to confirm the consensus that Ogres need a positive (+1 or better) M&F apt?

:agreed:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

Thanks for getting Polearms taken down to -2 for Mf :mad:

lol

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Internet Kraken posted:

Found the Sword of Jihad before Lair. How far do you think I can get before the berserkitis kills me?

Really is this. Deep elves are slanted really heavily towards pure magic and tengu can be very frustrating due to their fragility and weird apts. They certainly don't have anywhere near the flexibility that high elves had.

uhhh perhaps if you'd played 2,000 hours of them like renowned savant GammaFunk, you'd know better than this. a classic noob trap.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sage Grimm posted:

MF are bad because their boots disappear in water so you can't boots of the assassin stab kraken :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Luceid posted:

uhhh perhaps if you'd played 2,000 hours of them like renowned savant GammaFunk, you'd know better than this. a classic noob trap.

He's played 2000+ HE games but only 16 Tengu games so maybe that's why he thinks they are really similar.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

High elves just needed a gimmick, what about if they were really high so your food clock goes twice as fast, and you still win if you leave with no runes because you just can't be bothered with this noise, man

edit: unique active allows you to blow smoke, all affected enemies may be slowed, may become neutral, or may gateway into harder drugs

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Leaving without the rune ought to not count as a loss. I mean, you were smart enough to recognize that you're not strong enough to win, right?

Internet Kraken posted:

He's played 2000+ HE games but only 16 Tengu games so maybe that's why he thinks they are really similar.
:captainpop:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rename Halflings as Low Elves.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hey, the flying gives you faster running speed and 20% evasion buff on top getting to ignore the little issues water and lava cause.

I may or may not be a tengu in reality and that is the reason I defend them so.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If merfolk ever get cut I will fully stop playing. They're the race I learned the game with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't worry. There aren't any merfolk in LOTR so you're safe.

• Locked thread