Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's cool that I can jump anywhere in that video and it doesn't sound like the song skipped at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoren posted:

I'm worried that Nomura is going do too much in trying to leave his stamp on the game and reimagine its events based on how he thought the characters should act when we first designed them, rather than how we the players experienced the game.

That would be hard to do even from the start considering a large portion of the fanbase experienced the cast through a bad 90s-era translation. There's going to be some divorce between the two just by default.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

*leans close to your ear and whispers with a smirk on my face* "Censorship."

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ImpAtom posted:

That would be hard to do even from the start considering a large portion of the fanbase experienced the cast through a bad 90s-era translation. There's going to be some divorce between the two just by default.

I know that you bring up the bad translation as often as you can, but even though I agree that they definitely lost a lot of meaning when translating from Japanese, I still think that the tone wasn't poorly done. I'm seriously going to lose my poo poo if Cloud doesn't say "Let's mosey" when you decide to proceed onwards to the final battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoren posted:

I know that you bring up the bad translation as often as you can, but even though I agree that they definitely lost a lot of meaning when translating from Japanese, I still think that the tone wasn't poorly done. I'm seriously going to lose my poo poo if Cloud doesn't say "Let's mosey" when you decide to proceed onwards to the final battle.

And this is exactly what I mean though. "The tone came through just fine" combined with "If Cloud doesn't say this specific awkwardly translated line I will lose my poo poo!"

Like you just literally proved my point. That line isn't the same in the Japanese and the only way it will remain is if the translator is a fan of FFVII who thinks keeping a meme goofy line is necessary. (And that isn't impossible, see: Spoony bard.) But the Japanese team isn't going to have the same jokes based off the translator.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 14, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'll be pissed if Tifa doesn't call Cloud a retard anymore.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ImpAtom posted:

And this is exactly what I mean though. "The tone came through just fine" combined with "If Cloud doesn't say this specific awkwardly translated line I will lose my poo poo!"

Like you just literally proved my point.

It wasn't an awkwardly translated line though. Immediately after Cloud says that Barret gets mad at him for saying weird poo poo and not being serious in moments like that. So like I said, the tone was fine even if you sometimes didn't know what was going on due to the translation being imperfect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoren posted:

It wasn't an awkwardly translated line though. Immediately after Cloud says that Barret gets mad at him for saying weird poo poo and not being serious in moments like that. So like I said, the tone was fine even if you sometimes didn't know what was going on due to the translation being imperfect.

And you continue to prove my point.

That line in the Japanese version wasn't "Cloud is saying weird poo poo and it is making people angry!" (Also it's Cid, not Barret who snaps at him.)

In the Japanese verison there isn't anything weird about Cloud's line. It is the tone he's saying it in. (He basically goes "Alright everyone, let's go!) and the joke is that Cid says is "C'mon man, you're the leader, say it manlier." Cloud was being entirely serious, he wasn't joking around. It is the difference between Badass Hardass Fake Cloud and the real guy who was hidden beneath.

This is 100% exactly that I mean. Your assumption was that Cloud was joking around and not being serious but that isn't the intent of the scene at all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 14, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This is 100% exactly that I mean. Your assumption was that Cloud was joking around and not being serious but that isn't the intent of the scene at all.

That's also not how it came across in the translated version - Cloud goes "let's mosey," Cid goes "what the actual hell, dude, we're at the Big End Battle here, give me something with oomph," Cloud just kind of shrugs sheepishly and admits he isn't great at this stuff.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think the question is moreso: How does Cloud's personality differ in the original FF7 when comparing the original Japanese and the awkward translation? How much of what we know as Cloud only exists due to the awkwardness of the translation?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

ImpAtom posted:

Like you just literally proved my point. That line isn't the same in the Japanese and the only way it will remain is if the translator is a fan of FFVII who thinks keeping a meme goofy line is necessary. (And that isn't impossible, see: Spoony bard.) But the Japanese team isn't going to have the same jokes based off the translator.

I'm split 50/50 on whether I would kill a man to be an editor on the FFVII remake or whether the man I killed would be myself before I was saddled with that job. I envy/pity whoever ends up being tasked with deciding whether poorly-translated, poorly-understood line X that has morphed into inviolable canon in fans' heads is vital or is better off being retooled to be truer to the source text/good English/subjectively "better". Do you keep "This guy are sick"? "Let's mosey"? "My *$#(^(*% TEA!"? Is it commonly known that Gelnika was most likely a missed reference to Guernica and if so, do you fix that? What about Organics? Do you take this opportunity to clarify just what the gently caress a "Right arm" is and why it acts like a bomb? There will be people angry if you make any changes to some of these pretty close to being objectively incorrect translations.

Oxxidation posted:

That's also not how it came across in the translated version - Cloud goes "let's mosey," Cid goes "what the actual hell, dude, we're at the Big End Battle here, give me something with oomph," Cloud just kind of shrugs sheepishly and admits he isn't great at this stuff.

That's not what happens. If memory serves, Cloud gives a big ol' arm sweep and says "Move out!". And the party does.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

In the dissidias actually produced by SE, cloud is almost emotionless with the only ones that come out is general sadness/gloomyness 99% of the time and some anger when he sees sephiroth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I think the question is moreso: How does Cloud's personality differ in the original FF7 when comparing the original Japanese and the awkward translation? How much of what we know as Cloud only exists due to the awkwardness of the translation?

All of this is pretty apropos for a character whose theme tracks are "Who Are You?" and "Who Am I?"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are a lot of things that are just really silly and cartoony in the original that aren't going to translate well to a much more realistic style. Like what the hell is Cait Sith even going to be?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Keep the line.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

There are a lot of things that are just really silly and cartoony in the original that aren't going to translate well to a much more realistic style. Like what the hell is Cait Sith even going to be?

Scottish, laddie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I don't think Cloud is completely unrecognizable but I do think there are some noticeable differences that just don't come through as well. (I think you'll recognize them if you know they're there and get what the translators were going for.)

I think a major thing that gets lost is that Cloud post-Lifestream is a bit of a marshmallow despite finally having confidence in himself. It's played for humor in places that Cloud is no longer acting like the confident super soldier mercenary but the good-natured small-town kid. (Whereas the humor in the first part of the game is built around Cloud's soldier personality.)

I think the big thing that will make or break FF7R is: Will Cloud be the butt of jokes or are they going to focus entirely on him being cool. The less cartoony designs seem less friendly to that but maybe I'll be surprised.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My understanding of Cloud once he's fully Cloud again is that he's just a lot more casual and nice. Stuff like his stopping to give Yuffie pointers on dealing with motion sickness is a really nice touch. Similarly, his last line to Sephiroth shows quite well how far he's come. He's no longer vengeance-driven and obsessed, he's just a guy trying to save his friends.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

They'll hire that idiot modder who was going to replace Cait Sith with his Original Do Not Steal character.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

They'll hire that idiot modder who was going to replace Cait Sith with his Original Do Not Steal character.
Iscar Matthias :allears:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Evil Fluffy posted:

But enough about Lightning...

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Can't wait to put Cloud in his Lightning DLC outfit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fister Roboto posted:

I know people wanna forget that Dirge of Cerberus exists, but Dirge of Cerberus loving exists and had that lovely little cat and Yuffie in it despite being a dour and bleak game. They don't give a poo poo how much more the dark tone of the game is captured, they're still gonna shovel their goofy comedy bits and silly character moments wherever the hell they want to, especially since they already said they're keeping Cloud cross dressing.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I always took it to be that Cloud's "Let's mosey!" was serious and that Cid was berating him for being so lame, so unless the scene is really different to what I remember that was pretty much right as far as I can tell.

That video was good but in the comments was this bullshit video which starts out with Squall is dead and is basically bullshit from thereon in, but also it has the ff6 dante's inferno comparison.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Baal posted:

I know people wanna forget that Dirge of Cerberus exists, but Dirge of Cerberus loving exists and had that lovely little cat and Yuffie in it despite being a dour and bleak game. They don't give a poo poo how much more the dark tone of the game is captured, they're still gonna shovel their goofy comedy bits and silly character moments wherever the hell they want to, especially since they already said they're keeping Cloud cross dressing.

GRIMOIRE VALENTINE

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe it's because of recently replaying them, but I might say that IX and X have my favorite and strongest ensembles in the series.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite little thing in VII is, when Cloud's having his psychotic break after Sephiroth gets the Black Materia, Cait Sith turns up after dying and reintroduces himself to your third party member while that scene is going on. He totally bombs the dramatic impact of both the current scene and his own death just prior, and it's hilarious and amazing.

Ain't no way that part is gonna hold in the remake.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I wonder if they will keep Cloud just punching the poo poo out of Aeris forever until you press circle

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

slev posted:

I wonder if they will keep Cloud just punching the poo poo out of Aeris forever until you press circle

I was gonna post about getting my money back if it's left out but I realised I don't post here enough for it to be obvious that I am not into dudes beating on chicks.

I do hope it stays in though.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Really, VII's story could be improved a lot. When coming up with good moments that people don't want changed, people are forced to say things like Cloud going "Let's mosey." The cast is nowhere near 6, 9, and 10 but maybe it could be with some changes. The characters have good design and good descriptions of their personalities but so little is done with them. Some say people misremembered the characters. That's the fault of the game. Cloud only has a few lines after recovering. Red has one development scene and then sits in the corner. Aeris has a few flirty lines at the beginning. She stays in the background for a long time after Midgar and then the most memorable scene is her praying.

I'm fine with them cutting it to pieces and changing anything they want.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 15, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's their game and they'll do what they want to and it will probably kinda suck. Doesn't mean you can't play the original though since it's digitally distributed all over the place. It's not like SE is George Lucas going on some weird crusade to remove old versions of his movies from existence.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

some guy on the bus posted:

Really, VII's story could be improved a lot. When coming up with good moments that people don't want changed, people are forced to say things like Cloud going "Let's mosey." The cast is nowhere near 6, 9, and 10 but maybe it could be with some changes. The characters have good design and good descriptions of their personalities but so little is done with them. Some say people misremembered the characters. That's the fault of the game. Cloud only has a few lines after recovering. Red has one development scene and then sits in the corner. Aeris has a few flirty lines at the beginning. She stays in the background for a long time after Midgar and then the most memorable scene is her praying.

I'm fine with them cutting it to pieces and changing anything they want.

Parts of FF7 where I really enjoy the script:

- Basically all of midgar.
- Much of the Kalm flashback
- Elena being a chump
- The people in Junon despairing over the fish and the various ways people interact and respond to it (Barret especially).
- Rude being a drunk schlub.
- Everyone on the ship over.
- Yuffie's introduction and the fact that she can just screw you over repeatedly.
- The Corels, North and South.
- Everyone at Cosmo Canyon
- Nibelheim, which has a great atmosphere and is a wonderful little spot from the story and worldbuilding point of view (and shows how ridiculously powerful and weatlhy ShinRa are in a whole different way - they had the resources and will to do this for a coverup for something no-one would care about!)
- How wonderfully depressing rocket town is.
- All of Yuffie's sidequest.
- Cloud going berserk at the temple of the ancients and then Aeris leaving.
- The whole city of the ancients sequence
- Snowboarding
- The Northern Crater sequence.
- The execution but Tifa straight up final heaven's Scarlet off the gun.
- Defending Fort Condor but better tower defence.
- Stopping the train cause that was great.
- 100% the lifestream scene
- Going to space because that's got one of my favourite themes in the game Sending a Dream Into the Universe and hearing it remastered is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.
- Let's go parachute into midgar cause hell yeah!! (Also I'm looking forward to seeing the Sister Ray fire a bunch.)
- Also let's loving murder Hojo finally. Let's do it three times!
- I like the final dungeon but it could be improved.

I'm listing them off there but I could write a really long boring essay about why I like each of those elements so much and why I think you're wrong but man, that seems like an excessive reaction to someone having a strong opinion on the internet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bloodychill posted:

It's their game and they'll do what they want to and it will probably kinda suck. Doesn't mean you can't play the original though since it's digitally distributed all over the place. It's not like SE is George Lucas going on some weird crusade to remove old versions of his movies from existence.

How do you know they won't? They easily could, it's really only a call of product recognition over historical completeness away.

Even then, consider how a remake always becomes Square's standard for later re-releases. The DS versions of 3 and 4 are now distributed over the originals, the iOS ports of 5 and 6 now the standard despite backlash. When new platforms hit and Square starts re-releasing their catalog, they'll prioritize the remake of VII over the original even if the reception is just abysmal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

How do you know they won't? They easily could, it's really only a call of product recognition over historical completeness away.

Because FFVII is available on almost every system under the sun including PC and they have no reason to suddenly recall it, especially while they are still profiting off it?

Cleretic posted:

Even then, consider how a remake always becomes Square's standard for later re-releases. The DS versions of 3 and 4 are now distributed over the originals, the iOS ports of 5 and 6 now the standard despite backlash. When new platforms hit and Square starts re-releasing their catalog, they'll prioritize the remake of VII over the original even if the reception is just abysmal.

All of those are the 'standard' because they are almost to the last mobile ports and mobile ports are extremely cheap and easy.

Seriously "Square-Enix is going to MURDER FFVII" is dumb. It isn't going to happen. Not in the least because it is going to be a frigging PS4/X-Box One game and porting a PS4 game to, for example, an iPhone is not going to be an easy task while FFVII is already available there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 15, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Can this be thread title?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

My favorite little thing in VII is, when Cloud's having his psychotic break after Sephiroth gets the Black Materia, Cait Sith turns up after dying and reintroduces himself to your third party member while that scene is going on. He totally bombs the dramatic impact of both the current scene and his own death just prior, and it's hilarious and amazing.

Ain't no way that part is gonna hold in the remake.

Forget "Let's Mosey" this not making it in would be devasting.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey, if Tidus is a blitzball player, does that mean he's a wet dream?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bloodychill posted:

Why did God replace that man's abs with butts? :stonk:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bloodychill posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jesus Christ, his stomach looks like a corn cob.