Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

Sometimes it's cooler to do a thing in the less expedient way.

I'd agree if zandatsu-ing Sundowner's shield arm things wasn't so finnicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Sundowner fight is definitely a lot more fun once you cut off his shields, but god are they a pain.

It's telling that the only other time the game asks you to do that, during the final boss fight when he flings big chunks of concrete at you, it's more forgiving, like they knew what a pain in the rear end it was. In the final boss fight, you can still slice the chunks in half even if you miss one of the boxes. Sundowner has no room for error.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I swear my cat gets jealous when I play The Last Guardian. Like I hadn't seen him all day and as soon as I started playing a little bit he demanded attention

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Sometimes it's cooler to do a thing in the less expedient way.

I absolutely agree. I'm just saying that when blade mode has like 3 uses in the entire game in terms of a mechanic and one of them is optional it just doesn't feel well integrated.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's not a deep or well explored mechanic but it felt super badass, especially at the end of the Excelsus fight

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i s ranked revengenance difficulty and i don't remember using blade time for anything other than mashing attack during

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

i s ranked revengenance difficulty and i don't remember using blade time for anything other than mashing attack during

You're required to get a certain number of zandatsus to S-rank some encounters so you must've done that, though I think most of the time the no damage bonus is big enough to make up for drat near anything.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah i'm sure i did i just don't remember. i mostly remember monsoon, jetstream sam, armstrong, and gorillas bring super rude

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not sure if you can say there's a "perfect" combat system, but Arkham City comes closer to it than any other game by a mile in my opinion.

I spent so much time in the combat challenge maps. Not for achievements or unlockables mind you, just to keep improving my own scores.

The one big drawback of Arkham combat is that there are incentives to dodge rather than counter, especially when maximizing score, and dodging a lot drags things out, is more tedious, and is silly from a narrative perspective. Batman leaping or flipping over the head of every second enemy is lame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

yeah i'm sure i did i just don't remember. i mostly remember monsoon, jetstream sam, armstrong, and gorillas bring super rude

The gorillas are extremely rude indeed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Where's the horse?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
*whispering* "That's a horse"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's no place for a horse.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Just popping in to say that I finally got around to finishing DOOM and it was very good except for the ending but oh well .

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you can now shoot mustaches onto slimes in slime rancher

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Harrow posted:

It is slightly clunky but it is definitely too easy, no argument there. It isn't often that I play games on their maximum difficulty, but I do for TW3, because there just isn't much challenge in the combat there. I guess I could intentionally handicap myself by not using the equipment and cool skills I unlock, but then I don't get to use cool equipment and skills, and that is also dumb.

I really, really think you're overstating the clunkiness, though. Geralt doesn't handle like most action game characters but I got used to his handling pretty easily (and they've since patched in a more "standard" control mode that gets rid of some of that momentum/wide turning radius that some people disliked). For combat, I think it's pretty well-designed to make you fight differently when you're outnumbered. You can't just rush into the middle of the group--you're supposed to dance around the outside of the group and try to avoid getting surrounded so you don't get hit in the back. And you can do things like put an enemy between you and a ranged attacker and the arrows will hit the enemy instead, or use bombs to stun people to buy yourself some time to escape the melee. It works fine, and I think most of the "the combat is so clunky!" complaints had to be from people who came in expecting Geralt to control like you're playing Devil May Cry 3 or something and weren't willing to adapt.

:same: I really like how it makes encountering groups of enemies fun, like you dance around the outside and throw bombs and signs to make openings and chip them down and pick them off without getting surrounded. Not many games make fighting groups that enjoyable (even Dark Souls).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone tried Giga Wrecker? It looks like it could be neat, but early access.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

has anyone used the ps1 emulator XEBRA? I got analog sticks working with it but it doesn't seem to recognize when i want to move diagonally, like it only takes input from one axis at a time. anyone know how to fix that? it's a really accurate emulator in every other way so this seems like a weird problem to have.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

chumbler posted:

That's no place for a horse.

It's clearly a horse.

The OST for Final Fantasy XV is coming out next week. I used to buy a bunch of game soundtracks but a combination of YouTube and tighter budgets stopped that habit. The last OST I bought was the limited edition of FFXI, a game I played once at a friend's house and have no fondness for. But the FFXV limited edition OST is really singing a siren song for me. I think the music is fantastic, it comes with a piano arrangement album, includes an art book with more Yoshitaka Amano art, and is achievable at $86. If it wasn't so close to Christmas I would have probably bought it without blinking, but it's a bit of a selfish gift when I should be shopping for others.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Quest For Glory II posted:

I find myself suddenly wondering about what this game is

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was starting to think the new Shantae was less fan-servicey but I just fought a screen sized anime babe so all is how it should be

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was starting to think the new Shantae was less fan-servicey but I just fought a screen sized anime babe so all is how it should be
how does it compare to Momodora 4's

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

lol is that actually in Mass Effect somewhere?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

how does it compare to Momodora 4's

Not that big but way better animated and more anime.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ciaphas posted:

I find myself suddenly wondering about what this game is

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There are cute slimes. You ranch them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Slime rancher is adorable and relaxing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Wanna ranch those slimes

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Not that big but way better animated and more anime.

actually momodora probably wins out on that front cuz shantae is largely stills

and momodora has a giant that jiggles

I'm kind of curious why Shantae took so long, come to think of it. There's a lot of aborted content; the disappearing blocks that hide a flower one time, the various forms that usually get used for one fukken chest each, etc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2f-8nwcnIc

If you wanna know what slime rancher is like, I did a stream of it while I was sick a couple weeks ago. Just watch the first few minutes and you'll get the gist. Jump to 6:30-ish.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PantsBandit posted:

lol is that actually in Mass Effect somewhere?

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Shifty_Looking_Cow

"You can’t trust any animal that can milk itself."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I found the nadir of mega man levels and its Sigma #2 in Mega Man X2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

You poor innocent creature, you haven't seen anything yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You know would be a really fun way to create a fun challenge in this game of high speed movement and fun weapons? An extrememly short stage where you wait for the slowest platforms in history and if you gently caress up at all we covered the walls in instakill spikes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

You know would be a really fun way to create a fun challenge in this game of high speed movement and fun weapons? An extrememly short stage where you wait for the slowest platforms in history and if you gently caress up at all we covered the walls in instakill spikes.

I stand by what I just said. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

My sweet summer child, you know nothing of X6. Retain that innocence as long as you can. Keep your fond memories of the best video game ever made, Mega Man X.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I stand by what I just said. :allears:

Im already not super into X2. If they get worse Ill probably just stop playing the series but man...X1 was such a loving kickass game, youd think it would be hard to gently caress up the formula

• Locked thread