Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Oh god that's scary. I don't know what it's going to be like for my back the further I get. It hurt soooo bad last night and has been most nights that it makes it difficult to function/fall asleep. It's not my lower back, it's the right side of my back where the top of my ribs are. Same side as my bad shoulder which starts hurting as soon as I move in the morning and switches between pain and tingling all day.
Only...15 weeks to go :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I'm 40+6 today and no sign of baby coming anytime soon. He's not even engaged yet. :sigh:

Doctor's making an appointment to induce on the 20th if he doesn't show by then.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Oh god that's scary. I don't know what it's going to be like for my back the further I get. It hurt soooo bad last night and has been most nights that it makes it difficult to function/fall asleep. It's not my lower back, it's the right side of my back where the top of my ribs are. Same side as my bad shoulder which starts hurting as soon as I move in the morning and switches between pain and tingling all day.
Only...15 weeks to go :sigh:

Feeling the same friend. Can't lie on my back or stomach but now after 30 mins on each side my joints are screaming. I'm amazing I made it to 32 without more pain.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I had my 39 week appointment today and to my surprise I'm 2cm dilated, 50% effaced, my cervix is "very soft" and baby is "very low" and fully engaged. She said "seems like your amniotic sac is just holding up the party". She did a "mini" stretch & sweep which sucked real bad holy moley what is a not-mini one like?!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not-mini I think they just rip it with a popsicle stick.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Can't wait. "A little uncomfortable" my butt. Still, it gave me a good chance to practice my calm breathing etc.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

20 week scan went much better than 12 week screening. Everything is present and in the right order. Feeling much better nausea-wise too.

Sorry to hear that everyone else seems to be really uncomfortable this week.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Well I sure am glad we got a good look at the genitals at the morphology ultrasound today because it's the opposite of what I was absolutely, positively, 99% sure it was. Getting this information now was definitely the right call; now I have 15 weeks to get used to it.

Sharks Below posted:

I had my 39 week appointment today and to my surprise I'm 2cm dilated, 50% effaced, my cervix is "very soft" and baby is "very low" and fully engaged. She said "seems like your amniotic sac is just holding up the party". She did a "mini" stretch & sweep which sucked real bad holy moley what is a not-mini one like?!

I am a mean stretcher-sweeper and apologize to everyone in advance; there's no euphemistic "a little uncomfortable" because they'll know I'm a liar two seconds into the procedure. But my stretch and sweeps Get poo poo Done, so there's the tradeoff. Hopefully your provider's are the same. Sounds like your baby has the right idea about its exit strategy, so maybe you won't be uncomfortable for long!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My wife is about five weeks out from delivery and she is having terrible stillbirth nightmares. Is there anything she can do to make these less frequent/intense, or failing that, how can I best support her? How did/do you all cope with stuff like this?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Weedle posted:

My wife is about five weeks out from delivery and she is having terrible stillbirth nightmares. Is there anything she can do to make these less frequent/intense, or failing that, how can I best support her? How did/do you all cope with stuff like this?

Oh man, pregnancy dreams are the worst. I've never in my life had more vivid and realistic dreams, and of course most of them were about poo poo Going Wrong (in the most ludicrous ways - I had nightmares about my baby shrinking away to nothing, and about forgetting her somewhere in a giant store and not finding her again), so at least you can reassure her that it's totally normal and not a bad omen or something. For me talking it out helped, putting the dreams into words made them less real in a way, and it was easier to see them as manifestations of the very natural concern that something will go wrong. Good luck, soon you won't get to sleep anymore, so no nightmares :v:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I've had three very intense labour dreams recently. The first one was last week where I gave birth at 22 weeks and the baby was the size of my fingernail and I tucked it into a little tiny bed. Last night I dreamt I went into labour with three really strong contractions that I swear I felt. I don't recall the third, it wasn't quite as in intense but last nights was crazy.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Pregnancy dreams/nightmares are AWFUL. Mine were/are about having the baby and not knowing, and losing it somewhere. Once, I put the baby down briefly in Target then I couldn't find it because it kept shrinking til I couldn't see it. Another time I went to a docs appt and they were like 'oh no baby looks like you had it, better start looking for it' and I never found it.

The stillbirth thing has been more of an actual anxiety I have, my husband's best friend's wife lost their baby at full term to stillbirth after a textbook pregnancy and it's made me paranoid.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I have to actively avoid loss stories because they really suck me in and I get upset and anxious.

Also (and warning, loss) a girl I grew up with had a stillbirth at 40 weeks and I only found out because my mom commented on her status with her condolences. Then she casually asked if I heard before catching herself and apologizing. She was like "I....don't know why I brought that up..."
I will be happy when the baby is here. Then it's a whole new set of fears! :confuoot:

I think it's a little easier to be at ease when you can physically feel/touch the baby. I keep getting paranoid the umbilical cord getting wrapped around their neck or something I just can't see or do anything to stop.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Oh man. I had a loss at 6 weeks earlier this year and my husband last night admitted he didn't know what he'd do if we lost this one also. I can't imagine what a still birth would be like, I try not to think about it.

Meanwhile, I can't sleep at all anymore. I get tired, lay down in bed and stay awake for hours before falling asleep. Any little noise wakes me up and it takes another hour+ to fall asleep again. Someone please tell me this passes.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

And then after the baby gets here you'll be draped over the side of his bassinet all night making sure he's still breathing

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
I thought that the pregnancy dreams symptom wasn't real, BUT IT'S VERY REAL. I have a recurring one where the nurses try to give me a cat instead of my baby when we leave the hospital. And I don't realize it's not right until we get home and I try to feed it a bottle. By then the hospital is gone and I can't get my baby back. Looking forward to having one where the baby shrinks to nothing since that's apparently a common theme.

Has there been any research or anything into why these dreams happen? It's not just that they're sad and scary, it's that they're freakishly detailed and intense. I feel like I don't even get rest because of them.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Hi_Bears posted:

And then after the baby gets here you'll be draped over the side of his bassinet all night making sure he's still breathing

Can confirm!

Once they are out all sorts of new worries get to pop up. The last two days for our 10 week old have been him deciding that his evening bowel movement is an excruciating terror event that must be proceeded by 45 minutes of screaming. Of course his other 5 bms throughout the day are completely fine and scream free. Babies I tell ya.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Can confirm!

Once they are out all sorts of new worries get to pop up. The last two days for our 10 week old have been him deciding that his evening bowel movement is an excruciating terror event that must be proceeded by 45 minutes of screaming. Of course his other 5 bms throughout the day are completely fine and scream free. Babies I tell ya.

Ah, I'm the same way

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hi_Bears posted:

Can also confirm this.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Ughhh yesterday and today, any time I'm moving I'm feeling Braxton hicks. Constant tightness. Of course I'm in my first night of 3 in a row. I get told to sit down but nope have to set up for a possible 29 weeker.

Ugh I'm probably overdoing it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I had weird dreams that I gave birth then immediately went out skiing (?!?!?!?!) and forgot I had had a baby for so long that the hospital declared I was unfit and could never ever breastfeed. And my husband was leaving me increasingly angry texts wondering where I was that apparently I didn't get during my post-partum skiing.

Pregnancy brains are weird as hell.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When do you get a monitor test? I felt right all the time and it was not just BH contractions. I ended up on hospital bedrest (and met my bff in the shared room.)

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

peanut posted:

When do you get a monitor test? I felt right all the time and it was not just BH contractions. I ended up on hospital bedrest (and met my bff in the shared room.)

I could go over to l&d right now if I felt bad enough. Everyone always says that if they go awake when you sit down or whatever they're BH.... I dunno I'm starting to get a little concerned but I don't want to be that overreacting craZy person.

Black Lodge
Aug 17, 2013
I guess this counts as a post-partum dream, but after my daughter was born I had dreams of watching her on the monitor and seeing a stranger pick her up out of the crib. Those were awful.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

kittiesgomeow posted:

I thought that the pregnancy dreams symptom wasn't real, BUT IT'S VERY REAL. I have a recurring one where the nurses try to give me a cat instead of my baby when we leave the hospital. And I don't realize it's not right until we get home and I try to feed it a bottle. By then the hospital is gone and I can't get my baby back. Looking forward to having one where the baby shrinks to nothing since that's apparently a common theme.

Has there been any research or anything into why these dreams happen? It's not just that they're sad and scary, it's that they're freakishly detailed and intense. I feel like I don't even get rest because of them.

Post/name combo! This one made me laugh :3:

I had one where he was born with teeth, but they were all at the front and one of each kind of tooth (does that make sense?) which was pretty gross looking.

He's 4 weeks old now, already the pains of being pregnant are fading, ladies near the end, hang in there!! You're in the home stretch...quite literally.

I'm in a world of boob pain now- the first couple of weeks of breast feeding were awful, I'm not going to lie, but the pain is subsiding now and I'm actually quite enjoying doing it (apart from where he sucks my nipple like it was spaghetti that isn't nice)

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Miranda posted:

I could go over to l&d right now if I felt bad enough. Everyone always says that if they go awake when you sit down or whatever they're BH.... I dunno I'm starting to get a little concerned but I don't want to be that overreacting craZy person.

I've also read if you take a warm bath and they stop as well.

Six months on Saturday. Getting there!

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010

Miranda posted:

Ughhh yesterday and today, any time I'm moving I'm feeling Braxton hicks. Constant tightness. Of course I'm in my first night of 3 in a row. I get told to sit down but nope have to set up for a possible 29 weeker.

Ugh I'm probably overdoing it.

Drink a poo poo ton of water. I got them really bad until I stared to drink more water. I just walked around the hospital with a big gulp cup full of water and refilled it 3x per day. That was the only thing that helped.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I tell people to page if they've had more than five painful contractions within an hour, or if they have unusual discharge (water leaking, bloody show) and contractions as well - or if they're so worried by what they're experiencing that they can't go to sleep. Better to come in for an hour for nothing than lie awake all night worrying you're going into preterm labour.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Before my wife was pregnant, I thought guys with pregnancy fetishes were weird.

Now? :getin:

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Since we just found out I am pregnant two weeks ago, all Christmas chores/planning have gone out the window and I am now exhausted 100% of the time and just want to go home and sleep, nevermind put poo poo together for friends and family. My husband keeps volunteering to do the things I'm not up to but I can't get myself together enough to make a list zzzzzz help zzzzz

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Let your husband make the list. If something doesn't get done, or it gets done not quite right, it's not the end of the world. Make him responsible for your share of the household stuff, including planning what household stuff needs to be done, until you feel better.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
No 3D ultrasound for us. Baby punched the ultrasound wand and then gave us the finger when we tried to get them to move into a better position.

I think I may be in trouble here.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.

Rondette posted:

Post/name combo! This one made me laugh :3:

I had one where he was born with teeth, but they were all at the front and one of each kind of tooth (does that make sense?) which was pretty gross looking.

He's 4 weeks old now, already the pains of being pregnant are fading, ladies near the end, hang in there!! You're in the home stretch...quite literally.

I'm in a world of boob pain now- the first couple of weeks of breast feeding were awful, I'm not going to lie, but the pain is subsiding now and I'm actually quite enjoying doing it (apart from where he sucks my nipple like it was spaghetti that isn't nice)

Maybe I should change it to "kittiesgobaby"? :3: I like the tooth dream, although seems more like a nightmare. I'm sure there's been a multi-toothed baby in a horror movie SOMEWHERE.

I'm happy to hear you are recovering quickly! (I, like many, followed your story closely :) ). I'm a little worried about the breastfeeding pain too, but four weeks doesn't seem...so...bad? Is it psychologically a lot to be the sole food provider? I think this is the thing that I'm most worried about.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Breastfeeding shouldn't be all-out painful. If you're suffering through weeks of agony something's up with baby's feeding, either technique based or kiddo possibly has a tongue/lip tie. To be fair I don't know how much pain is within the realm of 'just working it out', but don't be like me and roll with the punches so much so that it took until 10 weeks before we had her tongue/lip ties fixed. Nipple damage isn't normal either.

If we have a second and I'm not tandem feeding at the time, I'd personally give myself a week tops before booking in with speech path + an IBCLC to have baby assessed, with a view to be lasered at the paed dentist before they go through their ~six week mental 'leap'. It's too mentally harrowing to have your baby be too aware of what's going on for that procedure, considering the aftercare. Mind you some people don't put much stock in the tongue/lip tie thing and say it's impossible to disentangle feeding/weight gain issues improving from just baby getting bigger and stronger and more coordinated, but in our case it did seem to help (after several weeks of having to re-learn how to latch as well though).

The other thing I would do if I could go back in time is to not hold back on stuffing as much expressed colostrum as I had on hand ( we had a dozen or so syringes of the stuff that I expressed before baby was out that we never used)/as much as baby would take, and wake her up more to do it. She was sluggish the first few days from jaundice but every single midwife that came to see us pooh-poohed it. Looking back at photos of her I only recently realised just how horribly jaundiced she was--and I had no idea being a complete newb at the whole thing. It makes me more than a little angry, looking back. It may have cleared up faster had we gotten more food into her. Being born in winter didn't help either.

E: I would've started on the pump sooner too, the more boob stimulation you can get in soon as the placenta's out the faster your milk should come in.

Having said that some people do none of the above and have no issues, so please please don't take this as 'YOU MUST DO THIS OR ELSE YOU WILL FAIL'. It's actually p drat cool that breasts do the whole produce milk thing, and if you find it's all a bit much formula isn't going to poison your kid.

And if you're really hell bent on breastfeeding it doesn't have to look like the picture on the cover of 'The Womanly Art of-' In fact I can guarantee it won't look like that whatsoever at least half the time, unless you're superhuman or have 100 people waiting on you hand and foot and doing your hair+makeup every 4 hours and taking the baby overnight lol. Some people just pump the milk for the baby, some use nipple shields, some use a supplementary nursing system (tube connected to a reservoir of milk), some use donated human breast milk. Not feeding via your boob in baby's mouth is not going to mean you won't bond with your baby or that your baby won't love you more than anything else in the world.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 15, 2016

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

nyerf posted:

lasered at the paed dentist

I agree with all of this except if your baby is tongue-tied please see if it's clippable before jumping right to the laser. A lot of folks seem to be pushing the laser right now (the dentists certainly are) but it's a way longer and more painful healing process for little people, and there is some thought that it involves more risk to the surrounding structures, as well. For a posterior tongue tie or a lip tie, the laser is the only option in many cases, but for a simple anterior tongue tie a quick frenectomy is all that's needed and it's much easier on all concerned. (Cheaper, too.)

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I got cranky babies at work and a cranky baby in me and a cranky uterus. Stressed and tired and another busy assignment. Seriously struggling and other than sitting down and drinking water I have to struggle through.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Yeah, our daughter had a grade 4 upper lip tie and 3-4 posterior tongue tie, and buccal ties as well, according to the speech path/paed dentist. Being in a rural location I think we were lucky to have had any referral at all to someone who knew what they were doing, though we did have to travel interstate to Melbourne to get it done. It was awful, she didn't stop crying for hours. She has never cried like that over anything else before or since. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Funny, apparently they're seeing these mouth ties in relation to folate supplementation having increased over the last however many years. Mind you I'm not keen on risking spina bifida just to potentially dodge mouth ties. One is considerably harder to repair than the other!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Dogfish posted:

I agree with all of this except if your baby is tongue-tied please see if it's clippable before jumping right to the laser. A lot of folks seem to be pushing the laser right now (the dentists certainly are) but it's a way longer and more painful healing process for little people, and there is some thought that it involves more risk to the surrounding structures, as well. For a posterior tongue tie or a lip tie, the laser is the only option in many cases, but for a simple anterior tongue tie a quick frenectomy is all that's needed and it's much easier on all concerned. (Cheaper, too.)

Really? Huh! I wouldn't have thought so. We had my kid's upper lip tie lasered at like 15 months and the recovery time was a few hours and there was no aftercare at all. I would think the lack of cauterization would make it more of an ordeal? I can't imagine recovery being much easier than what we did.

Isn't there a risk of re-attachment with the clip?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Everyone I know that has done the laser has had babe back to normal super duper quick after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

We just had baby's lip tie lasered last week (he's 10 months). We chose this option because at his age he would have needed to be sedated and get stitches if it was done with a knife. He was back to normal almost immediately and is healing nicely. We do have to do this stretching exercises 8 times a day for a few weeks and there is still a risk of reattachment but personally I'm a fan of the laser.

Breastfeeding was pretty easy for me and I didn't do any of the things you're supposed to do. Introduced a pacifier at like 2 days, starting pumping at 4 days, bottles around the same time. The first week my nipples were sore and when my milk came in my boobs felt like baseballs they were so engorged. But otherwise it has been smooth sailing for 10 months, with just a plugged duct once or twice. Definitely get help if things aren't going well in the first week! Don't tough it out and expect it to be painful.