Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So all this effectively means that the parameters for SASO have changed: now it's “Santa Only’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hokkaido: Santa goes to rehab

edit:

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 14, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
He's making his list, he's checking it twice...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, you guys were right.

So freaking good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

KillHour posted:

So freaking good.

Welcome in. You're stuck now — just look at all those uncompleted challenges. :D

…and that's just map 1 of 6 (or 3 of 11, if you count all the bonus ones).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

KillHour posted:

So freaking good.

I'm genuinely glad the recommendations paid off for you. Have fun!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Bought the game in the sale 2 weeks ago for 25 bucks. After 33 hours I just finished my first run of Hokkaido. Spent the time doing challenges, escalations, and just generally picking out cool stuff and opening up a new map every 2-3 days. I think I'm about 40% done in terms of unlocks, mastery, and escalation missions. After that I still have loads of challenges/feats to do; and then there's still the elusive targets and general loving about!

Amazing value for money, this game.

My current ranking of the main levels:
1. Sapienza (I don't think I need to explain why)
2. Paris (nice intricate level with a shitton of extra content which is super cool! really lets you master the map. Perfect start for this game)
3. Marrakesh (pity that a large part of the map is not used that much in the main mission but it's good for the escalations and such, lots of ways to do the mission which is cool)
4. Colorado (lots of options and no "uber disguise", I like the openness, but it's a bit drab)
5. Bangkok (dunno, don't like the vibe that much and too much guards 'n stuff everywhere, also the lawyer is kinda lame as a target)
6. Hokkaido (seems small and restricted, will see how it holds up after some unlocks, dig the aesthetics tho)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Most folks tend to rate Sapienza on the bottom of the list due to the virus objective

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sapienza is my favorite because it's. I've and bright instead of drab

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Basic Chunnel posted:

Most folks tend to rate Sapienza on the bottom of the list due to the virus objective

If you're talking about mission design, then yeah it's painlessly annoying to have to go down to the lab every playthrough. In the context of map design, however, nothing beats Sapienza.

It's crazy that the map has been around for as long as it has, and next week will finally be the first time we'll be getting to play a mission in (it appears) the town hall/lawyer's office section which is otherwise empty. Sapienza, and Marrakesh too, were clearly designed to be "too big" for the main mission playthroughs, but versatile enough to accommodate several separate missions within the same location.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Basic Chunnel posted:

Once you figure out how to SO the map it just seems easier to always leave the map via virus laptop/plane getaway. I can see how someone could be upset that it forces you to end the map the same way every time like with Colorado but it's not really a challenge or even that much extra work other than climb up some stairs on the way out.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I agree the virus is a bummer but eh, once you figure out the two easy ways to do it just a minor roadblock to end the map that way (either get the dongle or shoot the stalactite).

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 15, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I first bought this game I was like "oh poo poo, the intro missions have almost 30 opportunities/etc?? That's nuts! That's so much replayability! It's just the intro!" and then I saw that Paris has like 90 and the rest have between 1-200 and my eyeballs popped out of my head

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Never knew about the stalactite until after I'd done all the challenges. Fuuuuuuuuuck, that would've saved me a lot of time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Samopsa posted:

I agree the virus is a bummer but eh, once you figure out the two easy ways to do it just a minor roadblock to end the map that way (either get the dongle or shoot the stalactite).

I'm on my first run of this and I REALLY wish you had spoilered that. :(

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

You can blow a hole in one of the tunnel walls under the apartments with a breaching charge to walk right into the cavern and shoot the stalagmite in Sapienza. You just have to look for some bricks with a slight gap between them. I think it will show up on the map as a doorway or adjoined space instead of a wall too. Eliminating the virus takes like less than a minute if you do it that way from the safehouse start.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

KillHour posted:

So freaking good.

Yes pal, yes! Glad you're enjoying it.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Everyone talks about the town hall, but what about that drat clothing shop above the harbor. Does it serve any purpose at all, even in an escalation?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Oh, hah. I totally forgot about that one. Maybe we'll get to see an elusive target there soon too?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Since it was spoiled for me, I insisted on doing this the hard way: actually sneaking in the room and turning up the temp on the virus.

It sucked so bad and I don't recommend anyone else try this unless they are completely insane. :suicide:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Eggnogium posted:

Everyone talks about the town hall, but what about that drat clothing shop above the harbor. Does it serve any purpose at all, even in an escalation?

The clothing store has a mansion guard disguise in one of the changing stalls. The sweeping guy faces away from it so it's easy to just slip past him and grab the disguise without having to KO anybody.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Why wouldn't you just start in the safehouse and drop down into the deserted apartment with the disguise there. You don't even have to sneak past anyone or crack locks. Then you go back up to the slacker dude's apartment and swipe his keycard.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

KillHour posted:

Since it was spoiled for me, I insisted on doing this the hard way: actually sneaking in the room and turning up the temp on the virus.

It sucked so bad and I don't recommend anyone else try this unless they are completely insane. :suicide:

It's actually really easy. I figured there had to be a gimmick and there is. There are distraction opportunities on both sides of the lab, activate them both and the virus is wide open.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Easier said than done when you're not in a hazmat suit. I ended up knocking them all out one by one.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The laptop method is the absolute easiest way to destroy the virus and if you have breaching charges then it becomes a total non-issue even in a SASO run.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
How are you supposed to know what items to pick up in the holiday mission, and how much of a pain in the rear end is it to pick them all up in time? At least you can save during this mission, unlike the elusive targets and escalations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just tried Hokkaido for the first time. Somehow it feels closest to Blood Money in terms of the density of the level and some of the assassinations on offer. Took me more than an hour of dicking around, but I got two of the more satisfying ones - killing Yamazaki as the yoga instructor and destroying Soders' new heart as the morgue curator, the latter is probably one of my favorites ever because of the super gnarly and hiarious way 47 chucks the heart in the garbage and because "you've effectively killed him without laying a hand on him."

As for where the story is going, I don't mind that Sean Bean the shadow client seems to be a fellow clone assassin who knew 47 in his childhood. I can't speak for Absolution, but only Codename 47 really delved into his upbringing in the asylum so it's worth revisiting. I did think it was hilarious that Providence's bargaining chip with Diana was to tell her about 47's past. It'd be one thing if this was a reboot and they didn't have much history, but she's effectively been the only person to have his back after numerous shady incidents with the ICA. You'd think if she was curious she could just...I don't know...ask him about it?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

How are you supposed to know what items to pick up in the holiday mission, and how much of a pain in the rear end is it to pick them all up in time? At least you can save during this mission, unlike the elusive targets and escalations.

I just shadowed the guys as they move through the mansion to find out what they grab. I've only done it for one guy so far though and haven't figured out how to grab them all before they get them. I assume the only way to do it without losing your sanity is to look up the solution on youtube.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Odobenidae posted:

I just shadowed the guys as they move through the mansion to find out what they grab. I've only done it for one guy so far though and haven't figured out how to grab them all before they get them. I assume the only way to do it without losing your sanity is to look up the solution on youtube.

You could presumably knock them both out, take all the items, then leave them somewhere they will be found.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Just tried Hokkaido for the first time. Somehow it feels closest to Blood Money in terms of the density of the level and some of the assassinations on offer. Took me more than an hour of dicking around, but I got two of the more satisfying ones - killing Yamazaki as the yoga instructor and destroying Soders' new heart as the morgue curator, the latter is probably one of my favorites ever because of the super gnarly and hiarious way 47 chucks the heart in the garbage and because "you've effectively killed him without laying a hand on him."

As for where the story is going, I don't mind that Sean Bean the shadow client seems to be a fellow clone assassin who knew 47 in his childhood. I can't speak for Absolution, but only Codename 47 really delved into his upbringing in the asylum so it's worth revisiting. I did think it was hilarious that Providence's bargaining chip with Diana was to tell her about 47's past. It'd be one thing if this was a reboot and they didn't have much history, but she's effectively been the only person to have his back after numerous shady incidents with the ICA. You'd think if she was curious she could just...I don't know...ask him about it?

It'd be funny if the start of season 2 was Diana flipping off the Providence guy and being like "you don't think I already know about my most prized agent's life?"

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Jack Trades posted:

The laptop method is the absolute easiest way to destroy the virus and if you have breaching charges then it becomes a total non-issue even in a SASO run.

Really? I think shooting the stalactite is even easier since you don't even have to get the dongle.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

frenton posted:

Really? I think shooting the stalactite is even easier since you don't even have to get the dongle.

The what what? I never heard of it before.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

You basically just have to stalk them and take notes. The downstairs guy starts grabbing items sooner so start there and work your way up one floor at a time. One of his items is a battle axe in the bar room so you'll want a security guard outfit. I started at the attic and immediately slid down the ladder and took out that guard. Barely made it to the basement for the first item, so it might be better to just start in the kitchen and find a way to quickly grab an outfit from one of the guards down there. Don't forget to get the propane explosion challenge at the end either, they are very slow about making their way to the fountain but they do get there.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

The full list is here: http://imgur.com/a/QqGJm

Here's the route I took:

Part 1:
Start as Tech Crew on the second floor. Grab the fireworks remote and then run to the Apartment room (with the lone Auction Staff NPC) to get the circumcision knife in the back right corner. Quickly down to the basement and get the apricot in the kitchen and coconut in the canteen. Go back up to the ground floor and get the cannonball and toy tank from the eastern and western exhibit rooms. In the main party room (with the bar), grab the battle axe and immediately drop it; you don't need to carry it with you, and even if someone sees you in the act, you'll be out of there before any harm comes at you. Run towards the hallway behind backstage, between the kitchen and the bathrooms, to get the shuriken from the clothes rack against the back wall. Pocket it immediately; again, you may get spotted, but you'll be on your way swiftly.

Part 2:
Run up to the second story (aka the first floor) and back to the front of the mansion on the west side (right side as you're running) to the room with the ladder up to the attic. (Ignore the bust that's on the shelves in the room before this. That's not the one you're after, despite the picture telling you otherwise.) In the room at the top will be the cowboy bust. Enter the attic—you may want to take out the two bodyguards here and get a disguise to make getting out easier—and hoof it to the front section of this area with the security computers. There will be a sabre leaning up on some boxes to the left of the computers, forward of them as you approach. A (regular) bust is on the computer desk in the center of the room; be careful here, as the other bodyguards are suspicious of you and one of the targets may be in the area about the time you get here. The last item is the microphone, which is near the hammer on the other side of the attic by the two guards and smaller computer.

Whew. Completing this challenge will lead you directly into a related challenge, where you can blow those Wet Bandits to smithereens. Not much to this one, other than to follow them outside and shoot the right thing at the right time.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 15, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You can knock out four of the five challenges by getting to all the loot before the thieves do, then waiting in the basement in the big wine cellar that has a door at the end leading to stairs outside. Santa will show up, knock him out and stash his body. Then, go to the pantry room with the lead pipe on the floor and grab a small propane tank. Go back to the wine cellar and place the tank on the white 2D towel they put on the floor in front of a duffel bag. Wait for the mooks to make their rounds and they'll congregate around the towel to grunt at one another. Sneak around to the stash, put on the santa garb, and creep to a spot where you've got line of sight to the propane tank.

Shoot it twice and all that will be left to do is another run where you throw bricks at Marv in three different disguises. I bean him while he's in the halls hugging the runway - someone always finds him and wakes him. You'll have to elude some ornery guards but I managed to bean him all three times in the same spot.

Funnily enough, the thieves are total idiots. I was waiting with Marv for the second guy to come around in the basement and he's just idling around the wine cellar, grunting. Santa appears at the tree and he doesn't notice. I attack Santa because why not. But now Santa's comatose body is on one side of the room and the thief is on the other side with the stashing bin. I realize this as I'm dragging Santa and Marv's about to walk into LOS. I drop him in the nick of time, Marv says "oh poo poo" and runs off to find a cop. I manage to drag Santa to the bin just in time for the cop to show up to a clean scene. A fun little farce of a mission.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Jack Trades posted:

The what what? I never heard of it before.

It's like a hanging rock above the virus. You just shoot it with a gun and it falls and destroys the virus.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

frenton posted:

It's like a hanging rock above the virus. You just shoot it with a gun and it falls and destroys the virus.

It's really well hidden. It took me a while to find it even after I learned that it was there because they hid it behind a rock.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Jack Trades posted:

It's really well hidden. It took me a while to find it even after I learned that it was there because they hid it behind a rock.

It does light up in instinct mode if you use that. Going past that little elevated area to the right of the virus room where there's a couple scientists and guards chatting is a perfect area to get a good look and angle to aim at it without anyone seeing you. After you shoot it you can go back the same way and scale the little ledge towards the seaplane without getting spotted either. I haven't destroyed the virus in any other way in so long.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

frenton posted:

It does light up in instinct mode if you use that. Going past that little elevated area to the right of the virus room where there's a couple scientists and guards chatting is a perfect area to get a good look and angle to aim at it without anyone seeing you. After you shoot it you can go back the same way and scale the little ledge towards the seaplane without getting spotted either. I haven't destroyed the virus in any other way in so long.

That's exactly what I did after I found it but finding it in the first place was a bit tough because you can't see it from the water-side or the tunnel-breach entrance, even if you use instinct, because they've hid it behind a hanging rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Jack Trades posted:

That's exactly what I did after I found it but finding it in the first place was a bit tough because you can't see it from the water-side or the tunnel-breach entrance, even if you use instinct, because they've hid it behind a hanging rock.

Yeah, it's definitely designed so it's not the first thing you notice down there. I didn't even know what a stalactite was until I googled it and I still constantly call it a "stack-a-light".