Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

At least it's always been earned so far, even with FFXV's moth-eaten plot.

I will not agree that The Third Birthday earned it but TTB only earned being thrown into a garbage pit to fester. That said, yeah, Crisis Core and FFXV both are probably in my top 5 FF endings at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a lot of evidence that Tabata was more of an actual project manager on third birthday compared to Type 0 and Crisis Core. I always associated 3rd Birthday as more of a Toriyama joint.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I will not agree that The Third Birthday earned it

I don't know why games that were never released are being brought up in this conversation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

There's a lot of evidence that Tabata was more of an actual project manager on third birthday compared to Type 0 and Crisis Core. I always associated 3rd Birthday as more of a Toriyama joint.

I've never seen any evidence on that and Tabata has given interviews about the game. It's also got a lot in common in terms of general design direction as CC and Type-0 both in terms of strengths and flaws. It doesn't really make sense that he'd be a 'project manager' on the game either. In fact he mentions that Type-0 was almost cancelled because he was working on it and Type-0 at the same time and S-E wanted him to prioritize Third Birthday.

I'm also not sure why you'd consider it a Toriyama joint? Even if for some reason you assumed that Tabata wasn't really directing it doesn't really follow.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 15, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, I hear you. To some degree I'm just burned out on protagonists dying at the end of the game. It happens so often it's lost a lot of impact and I've reached the point I'm genuinely more interested in a game that is willing to go for an ending that isn't sad music, protagonist symbolically dying in a way that probably involves a glowing pillar of light. I think FFXV executed it well but yeah.

FFXIII actually did that (if you don't count Vanille/Fang going back to sleep), and then they burned it all up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So honest question: Was I the only one who wondered why Gladio was even considered a friend by the end of the game?

Game spoilers:
Dude spends most of his screentime loving screeching at Noctis and telling him to shut the gently caress up and I can't think of a single endearing thing he did all game. Highlights include the path to meet Titan where Noctis goes "boy I'm tired of walkin." only for Gladius to grab him and begin spitting in his face about how pissed off he is. Or Noctis mourning Luna which OBVIOUSLY meant that he didn't care about Ignis at all even though there's literally no sign of that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fedule posted:

Naglfar is a bad superboss.

Like, what, actually, the hell. I felt like I had to be missing something, like some timing sequence for when exactly to dodge his various attacks or an order to them so I can get away from the one thing he does where he launches the spines all around himself that doesn't seem to be dodgeable at all, and best as I can tell, nope, he really does seem to just be a check to see if you've bought like fifty potions and a bunch of phoenix downs for you to chug while you wail on him solo because none of the AIs can dodge his lasers. Like I'm sure all of his moves can be dealt with somehow - I'm pretty sure I managed to somehow dodge the bullshit spine thing at least once - but it feels completely unreliable. Also the fight went on for an eternity and not a peep from Ramuh.

It's a bad boss. Because while you can infinite air dance and whittle him down, all your bros are dead from his attacks. The other optional bosses felt way better in that regard, even though some of them have you fighting an even harder enemy: the camera

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So honest question: Was I the only one who wondered why Gladio was even considered a friend by the end of the game?

Game spoilers:
Dude spends most of his screentime loving screeching at Noctis and telling him to shut the gently caress up and I can't think of a single endearing thing he did all game. Highlights include the path to meet Titan where Noctis goes "boy I'm tired of walkin." only for Gladius to grab him and begin spitting in his face about how pissed off he is. Or Noctis mourning Luna which OBVIOUSLY meant that he didn't care about Ignis at all even though there's literally no sign of that.

Gladio is badly executed. I expected him to be my favorite of the bros but he just is kind of a poo poo.

I get the idea behind him. he's the guy who doesn't take Noctis' poo poo and encourages him to keep going and focus on his goals. It just doesn't work when he does poo poo like goes "Hey, Noctis, I'm leaving for a DLC, and gently caress you if you ask me why."

Edit: Like I seriously get that Gladio is a guy who inspired Noctis and makes him drag himself out of bad places. He just did a bad job endearing himself to me as a player.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 15, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I will say, somebody talking rough to you bringing up a message saying "His words have roused you, plus 50 Vitality" is awesome/funny/I wish it really happened irl.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Augus posted:

Chapter 10 spoiler: Ardyn just hummed the Chocobo theme. I can't bring myself to hate this guy.

EDIT: "Dude, are you seriously trying to kill me?" :allears:

That's actually my favourite scene in the game when I got what it's about.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Keep sending your goonfleets to strike me down it only helps me display my ultimate power.
http://i.imgur.com/VNWMH8i.gifv
Mwahahaha!

Edit: what the hell happened here, during broad daylight, in a tunnel where no monsters could possibly spawn?
http://i.imgur.com/HYhzg6b.gifv

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 15, 2016

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

bewilderment posted:

Final Fantasy 6 literally has every character talk about the joy of friendship, family, belonging, and living even through adversity right before the final boss.

And that is why it's my favorite. Kefka is just flat out insane and evil, he even says all he wants to do is destroy life, dreams, and hope itself.

"Life... Dreams... Hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go...? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

That's actually my favourite scene in the game when I got what it's about.

Chapter 10 thing

I'm legit surprised that I see people who didn't see it coming when he said woah dude. At first I thought it was him being a smug jerk but "prompto isn't in the scene, this guy is talking like him, this is totally prompto."

Which now that I think about what the gently caress even was that. The loading screen gave some horseshit about the big bad opening a RIFT IN TIME to swap places or something and it's never mentioned again- not even by Prompto.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bill NYSE posted:

Keep sending your goonfleets to strike me down it only helps me display my ultimate power.
http://i.imgur.com/VNWMH8i.gifv
Mwahahaha!

My initial thought was that the chocobo was wiping them out with its charge attack, now I'm disappointed that's not the case.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chapter 10 thing

I'm legit surprised that I see people who didn't see it coming when he said woah dude. At first I thought it was him being a smug jerk but "prompto isn't in the scene, this guy is talking like him, this is totally prompto."

Which now that I think about what the gently caress even was that. The loading screen gave some horseshit about the big bad opening a RIFT IN TIME to swap places or something and it's never mentioned again- not even by Prompto.

I think it makes more sense to just assume he had illusioned Prompto to look like him and vice-versa. The 'rift in time' thing is basically nonsense.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My take on Gladio is that he's basically a friendlier version of Dragon Age's Sten. He's chums with Noct, but at the end of the day, he's gonna respect a king, not just his pal from growing up.

If Noct wanted someone to whine to, he's got Prompto. Gladio and Ignis are there to keep him in line and remind him of the task at hand.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

I think it makes more sense to just assume he had illusioned Prompto to look like him and vice-versa. The 'rift in time' thing is basically nonsense.

Fair enough, that's what I thought at first too but then I read the loading screen and got confused as all hell.

Ending spoiler
Rewatching the ending with the previous kings I noticed that Noctis's eyes are purple meaning he's summoning. I know they didn't get a move listed at the top of the screen but is it safe to assume that was this games version of Knights of the Round? :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a blue sparkling visual effect in that scene and no one else moves. But it was probably just an excuse to not waste time animating civilians freaking out as you attack someone in the middle of a train.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bill NYSE posted:

Edit: what the hell happened here, during broad daylight, in a tunnel where no monsters could possibly spawn?
http://i.imgur.com/HYhzg6b.gifv

They can actually spawn in those tunnels, even in daylight. I fought some arachnes that way. However, you seem to have the Magick High-beams, so..it still shouldn't have.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So, Chapter 13 would be really awesome if it was about an hour shorter.
Another great Ardyn line: "In case there was any doubt, it's a trap."
Ravus fight was very fun too.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chapter 10 thing

holy poo poo, I didn't notice that at all
Looking at back at the cutscenes, yeah Ardyn talks and acts like Prompto, and then in the next scene Prompto talks like Ardyn. I thought the former was him being smug and the latter was a bit of wonky voice acting. That was really clever.

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 15, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Chapter 10 thing

The reason I didn't see it at first is because Prompto is so chill when the sequence ends and his behavior doesn't at all suggest his best friend just tried to kill him. In hindsight though it befits his easygoing nature to immediately believe Ardyn did something when Noct mentions it.

Also crediting the appearance change to time powers is just goofy. It's just like when JoJo introduces a villain ability and it has zero consistency.

Nina fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2016

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

They can actually spawn in those tunnels, even in daylight. I fought some arachnes that way. However, you seem to have the Magick High-beams, so..it still shouldn't have.

Okay, I've stupidly gone through long drives through tunnels and that was the first encounter that I've come across. I have the high-beams and I should have looked around after getting out of the car but I really wanted to get to those drat Spiracorns. :argh:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, yeah, I have a question. Who is the Naga's baby? Is it Prompto? Or is it just delusion-ally remembering it's prior human life?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Oh, yeah, I have a question. Who is the Naga's baby? Is it Prompto? Or is it just delusion-ally remembering it's prior human life?

The second one. It's foreshadowing for how daemons were originally human.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nina posted:

The reason I didn't see it at first is because Prompto is so chill when the sequence ends and his behavior doesn't at all suggest his best friend just tried to kill him. In hindsight though it befits his easygoing nature to immediately believe Ardyn did something when Noct mentions it.

Also crediting the appearance change to time powers is just goofy. It's just like when JoJo introduces a villain ability and it has zero consistency.

I'm pretty sure "Prompto" is Ardyn in that scene, which is why he's relaxed and speaks a lot more formally than usual. They're switched for the whole chapter.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Augus posted:

I'm pretty sure "Prompto" is Ardyn in that scene, which is why he's relaxed and speaks a lot more formally than usual. They're switched for the whole chapter.

Oh drat of course.

I can't wait for NG+ to actually play that chapter while getting it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a reason there's a level 50 boss in a dungeon full of level 7 enemies? Just feels like a giant middle finger to any players going into that dungeon at a low level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Is there a reason there's a level 50 boss in a dungeon full of level 7 enemies? Just feels like a giant middle finger to any players going into that dungeon at a low level.

It's a hint you're supposed to come back later but it's pretty trivial to kill that boss since it is trapped in a pit and has no meaningful ranged attacks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Noctis VA said that some of his favorite lines are in the Holiday DLC so I guess it won't just be cosmetic stuff.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Having beaten the game, I'm still pretty high on it. It's a mess, but a beautiful one and whoever said it ends up being more than the sum of its parts was spot on. Luna's death was a genuine surprise given the overall goofy tone of the first few chapters, but after that I was anticipating Noctis' death, especially given the events of Kingsglaive. It still managed to make me feel kind of emotional which was good! I interpreted the final scene as some kind of memory of the crystal or something with all the crystal bits floating around. Same with Ardyn's death - he was in a place that looked exactly like the place Noctis met Bahamut for the first time. Had he infected the crystal too? I do wish the game had more time to bake, but I'm hopeful SE can gain ground on the next mainline game without all the delays and reused assets and whatnot.

Also, where did the information that Ifrit was the creator or bringer of the Starscourge come from? I read some things in Chapter 13 that alluded to demons being a virus, but I only heard Ardyn mention that Ifrit didn't care for humanity like the other 5 Astrals. I may have just missed something along the way. Honestly, of all the linear chapters, 13 was my favorite. I get why some dont like it; you are stripped of abilities you've been mastering the entire game and forced to survive which is a huge change of pace. I enjoyed it because it felt like a nice, long story driven sequence which the game is sorely lacking. The final chapter was so abrupt I thought maybe my game glitched at first.

Thinking back, the game's later chapters would have really benefited from being laid out like the early chapters. It really needed a Skellige to its Novigrad. Altissia and the Empire really needed room to breathe, I think. Altissa especially was just so drawn out with gondala rides and no fast travel; it should have been a city in a place I could explore like the Open world. Shoot, you could reduce the size of the open world itself and set the later set pieces in lands the size of Cleigne or Duscae. Leide was big enough to be an open world area on its own.

I think they should do a sequel focusing on Demonslayer Iris, Aranea, Talcott and whoever else is still alive. That could make for a fun adventure.

I'll be chasing down the last few trophies, though I don't have many left. I maxed three of the boys' skills, got the 13th royal weapon in Chapter 13, etc. Now just to clean up a few post-game things for the platinum. I don't think it's my game of the year but it's definitely one of my favorites. SE really found the fun on this one and that's what really counts.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I can't decide if Pitioss Dungeon is the best or worst thing in the game.

EDIT: it's hosed up. Like I love the concept of what they're doing here and there's some genuinely cool abuses of the game engine that don't show up anywhere else, but Noctis's little rolls and turning shuffles are your enemy and it's frustratingly easy to lose 5-10 minutes of progress to one mistake past a point.

Baku fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 15, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Gilgamesh tho http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/15/final-fantasy-xvs-first-story-dlc-gladio-features-classic-final-fantasy-villain/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They should give me a free voucher for that for beating this thing

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

wizard on a water slide posted:

I can't decide if Pitioss Dungeon is the best or worst thing in the game.

EDIT: it's hosed up. Like I love the concept of what they're doing here and there's some genuinely cool abuses of the game engine that don't show up anywhere else, but Noctis's little rolls and turning shuffles are your enemy and it's frustratingly easy to lose 5-10 minutes of progress to one mistake past a point.

Seriously. I started that place last night and after 3 hours of throwing Noct to his death I looked up a guide figuring I could at least finish it before I had to sleep. Nope, didn't help that much since I am the worst at platformers. I actually was having fun at the beginning because they give you a lot of those red glowy shortcuts but later on it gets pretty frustrating.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RatHat posted:

It says in the quest menu that it's a level 50 dungeon

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Heyall yeah, Girugamesh!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gilgamesh is great and all but i want a gauntlet fight against every iteration of Cid in the franchise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Barudak posted:

Gilgamesh is great and all but i want a gauntlet fight against every iteration of Cid in the franchise.

You want to beat the poo poo out of the principal guy from 8?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah gently caress that Robin Williams looking motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I want a piece of him and the shape changing adulterer, yes

• Locked thread