Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
X3 is a ton better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

x2 is like $120 haha

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Im already not super into X2. If they get worse Ill probably just stop playing the series but man...X1 was such a loving kickass game, youd think it would be hard to gently caress up the formula

I'd give it a shot until X3. If you don't like X3 then abort, abort, abort. Even then X5 and X6 are many times worse than X2 and X7 is basically a garbage fire.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'd give it a shot until X3. If you don't like X3 then abort, abort, abort. Even then X5 and X6 are many times worse than X2 and X7 is basically a garbage fire.

BURN TO THE GROUND

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

X4 is good and better than X3, X5 is... okay, X6 is a fever dream that is worth experiencing, and we don't talk about X7 aside from it having one of the best X soundtracks. X8 is just there.

Command Mission is cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll probably beat all of them because they're like 3 to 4 hours long and I'm unemployed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Quest For Glory II posted:

how does it compare to Momodora 4's

That was a good drat game, I should play that again

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's fun to think that there was a time when Mega Man X was considered to be a dark and edgy reimaging of the Mega Man franchise.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2f-8nwcnIc

If you wanna know what slime rancher is like, I did a stream of it while I was sick a couple weeks ago. Just watch the first few minutes and you'll get the gist. Jump to 6:30-ish.

oh nooooo it's adorable

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh nooooo it's adorable

The way the slimes go "wee!" and "wow!" when they bounce around is probably my favorite part.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RE: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance talk in the last page.

I got all achievements on both the PS3 and 360 versions during the first half of 2013 and cutting dudes into pieces and crushing their spine in slow mo was much needed catharsis while doing the infuriating VR Missions and S-ranking the whole game. gently caress the VR missions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The VR missions themselves are pretty fun imo, but the slow-rear end interface having to do its canned animation every single time you bring up the menu, start a mission, or go back to the main mission select drags it way way down. Especially because you can easily tell it's all fake because MGR is incredibly well optimized and loads drat fast even on consoles.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

It's fun to think that there was a time when Mega Man X was considered to be a dark and edgy reimaging of the Mega Man franchise.

I mean, "dark and edgy" is relative to the NES games.

It's a totally badass action show or shonen anime you watched when you were 13, instead of a "kiddie cartoon" you watched when you were 6. It's dark and edgy in the way that Dragonball Z is dark and edgy relative to Pokemon.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Children cower in the face of Chill Penguin.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also

i finished beyond eyes. as a cat owner.... :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quest For Glory II posted:

i finished beyond eyes. as a cat owner.... :(

Congrats on being the only person I've seen ever mention that game and yeah :(

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

the long dark is still good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I mean Sundowner where dodging behind him and smacking his back is way easier and faster than cutting his shields apart. I meant blade mode in general though, yeah.

Sundowner's kind of a bad fight. He's designed to be a tanky kind of boss but he has pretty low health so you can just go into ripper mode and beat the poo poo out of him and skip past one of his phases entirely. He's a pretty big letdown after how much he's built up and how crazy the Monsoon fight is.

It's a shame Platinum isn't the kind of company that patches their games to improve them(rather just sticking to bugfixes), because the fact they iterated on the Armstrong fight to make it more visually clear and fast paced in the Jetstream Sam DLC means that another pass at Sundowner could've fixed one of the only low points in a great game.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 15, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the drama in mega man x is lame and games introduce new characters just so they can kill them off to force it. it honestly makes it pretty hilarious when you get to the zero games and despite them being way more bleak, they have way more actual side characters who stick around for most of the series, with one of the least important recurring side characters even becoming your commander buddy in zx

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

the drama in mega man x is lame and games introduce new characters just so they can kill them off to force it. it honestly makes it pretty hilarious when you get to the zero games and despite them being way more bleak, they have way more actual side characters who stick around for most of the series, with one of the least important recurring side characters even becoming your commander buddy in zx

Yet another reason the snes X games were better.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Re: combat
I feel like platinum games are pretty widely regarded as great. Its just that they're pretty bad at even mentioning, let alone explaining advanced mechanics.

I know dota chat is frowned upon in games, but in case anyone else plays the dumb game I turned into a banana as the new hero, the new update is hilarious and ridiculous. We HotS now boys.

Back to good games though, been playing Black Flag and it's great. I love being a pirate going from a low chaos dishonored run. Did that guard have a wife and kids? Who cares, gently caress him, got mine.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I remember Blizzard dangling this "totally sick" genji skin in front of Overwatch players with the catch that they needed to play Heroes of the Storm to get it.

No one wants to play your bad moba, Blizzard

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

You know would be a really fun way to create a fun challenge in this game of high speed movement and fun weapons? An extrememly short stage where you wait for the slowest platforms in history and if you gently caress up at all we covered the walls in instakill spikes.

The music in that stage is really good tho iirc

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Re: combat
I feel like platinum games are pretty widely regarded as great. Its just that they're pretty bad at even mentioning, let alone explaining advanced mechanics.

Rising explains parrying briefly in like 2 places, one of those explanations is really poor and can make you completely misunderstand how it works, and no one ever tells you that it's the single most important mechanic for enjoying the game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

X4 is good and better than X3, X5 is... okay, X6 is a fever dream that is worth experiencing, and we don't talk about X7 aside from it having one of the best X soundtracks. X8 is just there.

Command Mission is cool.

I'm still here to say X6 has more good and inoffensive levels than outright awful ones

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay, how about this. If it ever gets a re-show in theaters, maybe in IMAX for some reason, go see it.

Seeing that movie in IMAX was an incredible feeling. Every footstep was positively thunderous. But even on a normal big screen it's still good. It's best seen on the biggest screen possible, as the entire point of the movie is to appreciate the scale of the spectacle.
I haven't followed on that much, if they've taken his baby away from him, that really sucks. I do really hope he's still involved.

I don't have money

like, ever

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey Chat thread. What are you trying to finish before January 1st?

I'm not trying to finish anything, but I am preparing to download the games I will be playing each month for my '2017 Year Of Gaming'. I bought a 2TB drive for my pc just for video games and am installing all those that match each month, then on the desktop is each folder for each month with links to only those games I am allowed to play.

It's going to be interesting!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ostentatious posted:

I remember Blizzard dangling this "totally sick" genji skin in front of Overwatch players with the catch that they needed to play Heroes of the Storm to get it.

I read an article about it and how they apparently stripped out a lot of arbitrary parts of Mobas and streamlined the design in some nice ways, which made it sound kind of appealing but at the end of the day I still never want to play a moba.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Blizzard insists that HotS is not a moba :laugh:.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

I mean I guess it was actually pretty effective in that a lot of people went and played it to get the skin but I think pretty much everyone just played 15 games against the AI on the easiest difficulty

If they had forced people to play against other human beings maybe they would've gotten some people into it idk

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I read an article about it and how they apparently stripped out a lot of arbitrary parts of Mobas and streamlined the design in some nice ways, which made it sound kind of appealing but at the end of the day I still never want to play a moba.

IMO the only moba worth anything is DotA, because of the mechanics and how complex they can be.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'd try harder for that Genji skin in Heroes if the control scheme for mobas wasn't so poo poo. I can't stand games where the movement is click to move.

The game looks very nice though, Blizzard kills it in the art department

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All mobas are garbage and nobody should play any of them.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ostentatious posted:

the long dark is still good

ive been helping my wife do the JP translation of this game! its really interesting and i got a free copy to play around in so if I need to find out what item is used in what context

i tried one of the challenges tho and yogi bear keeps eating my picanick baskets

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hello chat thread. Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat that resulted in massive coughing fits which is turn led to the involuntary ejection of my breakfast. I took off work and played Hyper Light Drifter and FFXV, but wound up taking my wife to the zoo for their light show in the evening when it was like 11 degrees out. Today I woke up with a similarly sore throat but I'm gonna power through it. These sudden dips in temperature are hell on my breathing tubes coupled with the fact that I'm trying to quit smoking are making a perfect storm of misery. I really wish I had a glass of honey with some tea in it but I'm gonna have to settle for water and cough drops until I run out of cough drops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

:same: I really like how it makes encountering groups of enemies fun, like you dance around the outside and throw bombs and signs to make openings and chip them down and pick them off without getting surrounded. Not many games make fighting groups that enjoyable (even Dark Souls).

Bloodborne makes it enjoyable to fight groups, much more than Dark Souls does, just because how how mobile your character is (sidestepping has almost no recovery and costs very little stamina) and because most weapons have a mode that gives you big, wide swings. Fighting groups in Bloodborne is a real good time. Incidentally, it's also a lot like how you do it in TW3--dance around the edges and try not to let yourself get surrounded and combo'd--though without the "throw bombs to disrupt" and instead "let them group up so you can hit them all at once with your sweet cane whip/axe/pizza cutter saw/etc."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Grapplejack posted:

IMO the only moba worth anything is DotA, because of the mechanics and how complex they can be.

No, DotA can also gently caress itself.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbAzmA889c

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Do noT plAy

e: hang on i gotta workshop this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i think if people like mobas they should be able to play the mobas and enjoy it, if its league or hots or dota or w/e

but mobas are bad for my personal temper and so i do not play them anymore, arigatou for reading

• Locked thread