Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

I should start doing that but I almost never pick up hammers because that poo poo is bulky, and seems a waste(?) of blacksmith whetstones to get the 20 quality

Only pick up white and already high quality blue hammers. They require less whets to make them 20%q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bugsy posted:

Only pick up white and already high quality blue hammers. They require less whets to make them 20%q.

gently caress. Really? I thought it was 1% at a time.

God drat how many chisels have I just left rotting in hammer form :doh:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

its a 5% increase on white items.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress. Really? I thought it was 1% at a time.

God drat how many chisels have I just left rotting in hammer form :doh:

its 5% for a white per whet/scrap

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

noooooooo :cry:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

It works with flasks too. Improving whites is 5% at a time, blues is 2% and rare/uniq is 1%

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Bugsy posted:

OK, while we're on % quality of things, and bear in mind I know next to gently caress all about this game, and I am doing things slowly at low levels, trying to learn how the various systems interact, etc.

What is special about 20, and not 100?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

xiansi posted:

OK, while we're on % quality of things, and bear in mind I know next to gently caress all about this game, and I am doing things slowly at low levels, trying to learn how the various systems interact, etc.

What is special about 20, and not 100?

20% is the max

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Sooo... Golemancer jewels are at 3-4 exalted each right now. That's going to drop right? Right!? :ohdear:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zaekkor posted:

Sooo... Golemancer jewels are at 3-4 exalted each right now. That's going to drop right? Right!? :ohdear:

so far it's been going steadily up, it was 2-3 a week ago

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Soothing Vapors posted:

so far it's been going steadily up, it was 2-3 a week ago

:negative:

I am too new to PoE to know how to make that kinda bank and golemancer is so fun

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
hey look at my retarded crit flicker build https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/killstealing/characters

it's doing enough damage to blast through low tier maps right now but dies too easily for anything higher

also it can't do izaro at all and bosses are really slow

but yeah it's fun lol

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I don't understand the Atlas. I've watched all of the videos posted in this thread and read up on it too. I've completed a lot of T11 maps and a T12 and T13 for the shaper orbs.

I have yet to drop a single shaped map drop other than my T4 shaped graveyard. I then started knocking out all of the T1-6 maps I hadn't yet done for the completion bonus, as my understanding is that the higher your completion bonus the more maps and sustain you'll have. I finished and then started scouring all of the lovely layouts I don't like, which is what virtually everything I've read thus far has said you should do...except I noticed my completion bonus was dropping. What is the point of removing a map from the pool if my chance to get maps period is lower? Even when I run adjacent maps I can't get my shaped maps to drop. When I run other T11 and T12 maps, none of my shaped maps appear either. What gives? I should also note that I chisel everything T11 and above. Or some T9's or T10's if I'm running low on maps.

TLDR: Should I remove all of the low maps so only good, higher tier maps drop? Or complete everything and count on the bonus? My bonus is sitting at 49 right now. I removed like 10 lower maps before I realized it affected your completion total. gently caress.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

fennesz posted:

TLDR: Should I remove all of the low maps so only good, higher tier maps drop? Or complete everything and count on the bonus? My bonus is sitting at 49 right now. I removed like 10 lower maps before I realized it affected your completion total. gently caress.

Removing lower maps will not increase the rate at which higher maps drop. Removing bad maps within a certain tier will increase the likelyhood of your favorite map in that tier dropping. As you said, however, removing maps will lower your bonus drop.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Also the completion bonus does not mean more map drops, it just means you have a chance at getting a higher tier map than what would have already dropped.

I don't generally remove maps, I just get as high of a bonus as I can and run the maps I like. :shrug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

gently caress. I wasted all of my sextants on T1-4 maps I now have to replay. :negative:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Map chat: alch your maps. Breaches spew out tons of loot, if your map has 1 breach in it, that breach is going to give you back more than 1 alch worth of value by itself.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Edit: I'm dumb, had to cast scorching ray instead. This Cast While Channeling Scorching Ray + Whispering Ice build is nuts.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Another mechanics question: If you use Consuming Dark with Firestorm and link Increased Duration to Firestorm, will the Increased Duration gem also increase the duration of the poison Firestorm applies?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So I did a really dumb thing this evening after a lucky chance orb

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
It was actually the best thing, Sir.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

So I did a really dumb thing this evening after a lucky chance orb

You got balls

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Xequecal posted:

Another mechanics question: If you use Consuming Dark with Firestorm and link Increased Duration to Firestorm, will the Increased Duration gem also increase the duration of the poison Firestorm applies?

Yes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RIP Tashalryn, level 32 summoner necro.

Died to a breach where there was about 80 loving times more monsters than previously.

Now I'm in the standard leagues, i guess.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

tithin posted:

RIP Tashalryn, level 32 summoner necro.

Died to a breach where there was about 80 loving times more monsters than previously.

Now I'm rolling another character, i guess.

FTFY

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

"Guy who doesn't know how whetstones work chances skyforth"

Par for the course

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's something that's reliable and cheap for hardcore that I can get to map levels?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Par for the course

If it makes you feel any better this karma is gonna follow me straight to the next Monster Hunter and beyond, probably

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

tithin posted:

What's something that's reliable and cheap for hardcore that I can get to map levels?

Occultist or Trickster using Essence Drain

Elementalist or Inquisitor Pizza Sticks aka Flameblast on a Spell Totem

Saboteur Kinetic Blast Mines (heh)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Do sextants give you increased map drop quantity?

LeninVS posted:

How do i get into the higher map tears?the highest tier map iv found is 4. I cleared it without any issues.

My problem is only teir 1 and 2 maps drop.

Zana sells T6/T7 maps very quickly for quite cheap. That's a decent way to upgrade at the start. If you have duplicate maps of something you already have the completion bonus of, sell/trade them for another map you haven't cleared yet. You can reach 50% atlas completion relatively quickly and a 50% passive IIQ bonus on everything is huge.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ask in guild too. Tons of people will give you white/yellow maps.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

peak debt posted:

You can reach 50% atlas completion relatively quickly and a 50% passive IIQ bonus on everything is huge.
:psyduck:

You don't get more maps, you get higher tier maps, but still restricted to normal drop tier restriction.

At 50%
Scenario 1:
If boss would normally have dropped a +1, there's a 50% chance of it turning into a +2.

Scenario 2:
Boss would have dropped a +2, it's still a +2.

Scenario 3:
T10 map, magic monster would have dropped a T5, 50% chance it instead drops a T6

Scenario 4:
T10 map, magic monster would have dropped a T11, it remains a T11.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Occultist or Trickster using Essence Drain

Please don't tell a new hardcore player that CI essence drain is cheap and reliable.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Juggernaut EQ is the only build I've played that I'd consider for hardcore. It's tough to play hardcore when you play stoned though.

Edit - I also usually play very squishy builds. LA glass cannon rangers mostly.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I spent an idiotic amount of time and currency and respecced over from my Vortex character to CWC WI.

In pretty short order and for surprisingly cheap I got myself up to 6.5k ES, still overcapped resistances, and I absolutely shred through poo poo. I would not be surprised to see CWC get knocked down a peg in the vein of CoC.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Par for the course

Wait... does quality affect the chance orbs impact on an item? I thought it only impacted the odds for jeweler/fusings.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Maddot_66 posted:

Wait... does quality affect the chance orbs impact on an item? I thought it only impacted the odds for jeweler/fusings.

no but he didn't know white items got 5% per whetstone

CautionaryOstrich
Mar 20, 2009
Pillbug
You get my PM requesting an invite Sky? Sent it a few days ago.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

Please don't tell a new hardcore player that CI essence drain is cheap and reliable.

I've been saying this forever, if helman can reach 93 as a life based ED trickster, so can you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Maddot_66 posted:

You should always quality before a vaal since you can't do it after the item has been corrupted.

Kild posted:

no but he didn't know white items got 5% per whetstone

lol if you quality every pair of sorc boots you pick up.

• Locked thread