Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
With a subtitle like Covenant I doubt that will happen honestly. A lot of the exposition in Prometheus, while heavy handed, is heavy handed in a biblical kind of way that I think fits for the sort of all encompassing creation myth kind of story he wanted to tell. Prometheus is a really dense film in that respect, drawing elements from Norse, Greek and Abrahamic concepts of creation and birth simultaneously in one setting which is pretty ambitious. I'm actually a little skeptical of Covenant because I'm not sure how much different it will end up being from Prometheus itself.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

With a subtitle like Covenant I doubt that will happen honestly. A lot of the exposition in Prometheus, while heavy handed, is heavy handed in a biblical kind of way that I think fits for the sort of all encompassing creation myth kind of story he wanted to tell. Prometheus is a really dense film in that respect, drawing elements from Norse, Greek and Abrahamic concepts of creation and birth simultaneously in one setting which is pretty ambitious. I'm actually a little skeptical of Covenant because I'm not sure how much different it will end up being from Prometheus itself.

True; if you take Covenant literally (which is not unreasonable when you consider how the title Prometheus related to that movie) then you could see how it's really more of a true extension of what he was trying to do with the latter movie then a "return to form" for Alien overall.

The worst thing that could happen, actually, is that he continues telling Prometheus in the same way, only shoehorns more explicit Alien stuff because that is what the fans (and studio) demand. At best that will result in a movie that has some cool scenes but fails overall.

I didn't disagree with the story he appeared to be trying to tell with Prometheus. That's not why I don't like the movie. In fact I think Prometheus could have worked telling pretty much the exact same story. For whatever combination of reasons, they just didn't sell it, for lack of a better term. If he manages that with Covenant then I think we'll get something good even if - especially if - it isn't "Alien 6".

From a studio perspective they probably don't care because someone like me is going to go see it even if every review is terrible; frankly. I'm not their target market.

Blomkamp's vision concerns me more since he actually does want to make a straight up sequel (to Aliens, not Alien, if the press is to be believed). Cameron pulled off doing it for the first but I seriously wonder if Blomkamp can do the same thing on top of Cameron's movie. The "Continuing adventures of Space Marines with Smart Guns" could be a fun movie if done right, but not particularly interesting.

Though maybe he has different ideas? I haven't read much beyond the basics and that was a while ago.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The space marines with smart guns all died.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ixian posted:

Blomkamp's vision concerns me more since he actually does want to make a straight up sequel (to Aliens, not Alien, if the press is to be believed). Cameron pulled off doing it for the first but I seriously wonder if Blomkamp can do the same thing on top of Cameron's movie. The "Continuing adventures of Space Marines with Smart Guns" could be a fun movie if done right, but not particularly interesting.
The first one was a rape thriller, the second was a Vietnam action movie, the third was an existentialist crisis, the fourth was French sci-fi.

Blomk could go for broke and make it a disaster flick. Earth-like colony ship that would give us the sweet release of "Aliens attack our world" without the need to actually go to Earth, which would probably be a dump anyway thanks to pro-corporatist forces.
The social commentary part is that it's a metaphor for the US's lack of action with ME refugees.

also the Smart Guns are stand-ins for our neoliberal policies and the effects of neocon regime-building. Maybe twitter, too.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If they can bring Ripley back after she jumped in a molten vat they can figure out a way to get Hicks on board as well.

Then you'd have the old, grizzled Sarge to ride herd over the next generation of teen stars and their Smart Guns. They will reject his wisdom at first, and he their youthful insight, but by the end everyone will come around and embrace what each truly completes in the other. Also, shoot a lot of Aliens and get burned by acid.

Sounds great can't wait.

FilthyImp posted:

The first one was a rape thriller, the second was a Vietnam action movie, the third was an existentialist crisis, the fourth was French sci-fi.

Blomk could go for broke and make it a disaster flick. Earth-like colony ship that would give us the sweet release of "Aliens attack our world" without the need to actually go to Earth, which would probably be a dump anyway thanks to pro-corporatist forces.
The social commentary part is that it's a metaphor for the US's lack of action with ME refugees.

also the Smart Guns are stand-ins for our neoliberal policies and the effects of neocon regime-building. Maybe twitter, too.

In other contexts this would be irony, but I think you are straight up describing Blomkamp's Alien here.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ixian posted:

If they can bring Ripley back after she jumped in a molten vat they can figure out a way to get Hicks on board as well.

Fox still considers Aliens: Colonial Marines canon, so Hicks *IS ALREADY* back. :D

That said, it would be amazing if the just filmed a live action version of the cutscene/level where we see how Hicks survived.

I'm so against the idea of Blomkamp's Alien 3, but at least it will look and sound incredible going by his past movies.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

Fox still considers Aliens: Colonial Marines canon, so Hicks *IS ALREADY* back. :D

That said, it would be amazing if the just filmed a live action version of the cutscene/level where we see how Hicks survived.

I'm so against the idea of Blomkamp's Alien 3, but at least it will look and sound incredible going by his past movies.

If they get Biehn back I think they should go big, totally ridiculous style. Like Farcry Blood Dragon, the movie.

Get a cast of YA film stars - import them wholesale from some second-tier shitshow like the Maze Runner series, for example, or even go trawling around The CW stable of generic tweens - and turn them in to cannon fodder. Lean heavy on 80's hair metal and lots of neon lighting. I would watch the *poo poo* out of that movie whatever the plot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I would for real pre-order a ticket for a Blomkamp movie done in that style.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The whole theme of hubris in Prometheus would have been a lot more effective if the crew had been written as the best in their field and still brought about their own doom because of their all-too-human arrogance, rather than a bunch of hopeless bumblefucks with the survival instincts of toddlers.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I like Blomkamp's concept art for Hicks:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

For what it's worth, they don't anymore. The Weyland Yutani Report makes no mention of it, nor do any of the novels or comics that have been published after it.
Some of the new weapons introduced in Colonial Marines have made cameos in the more recent comics, though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

Not at all.

You want an awesome fun cyberpunk movie? If you haven't seen it check out Nemesis. It's from the early 90s and stars Olivier Gruner, Tim Tomerson and Brion James (both worked with Pyun just prior on Hong Kong '97, a film which is a legit achievement because it has a scene where Ming-Na Wen is just walking around completely naked shooting people and stars Robert Patrick as a professional assassin yet is somehow one of the worst movies ever made). Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is in it for a bit too! This is basically THE Shadowrun movie to me, dealing with lots of cybernetic augmentation, bounty hunters and corporate mercenaries, police conspiracies. The plot hinges on the racial tensions between human beings who are cybernetically augmented vs. people who are robots with an AI from the ground up, it's great.

It's directed by Albert Pyun so it's basically a dumb action movie but it's his best flick by far and has a few unexpected twists in it that are kind of interesting regarding how its themes play out and all that stuff. It's not super deep but it goes in a few directions I didn't really see coming at all. It also has some brief but cool cyber moments that are sort of body horror.

Also this movie has a dude that LITERALLY HAS A SKUL-GUN like Gunther Herman talks about in Deus Ex!!!!

NEMESIS!!!!!

This movie has a scene where Brion James talks up and puts over a character we find out is played by a young Thomas Jane! He's introduced completely nude and already deeply infiltrated himself into the enemy's affairs like oh poo poo this guy's gonna be a major smooth player in the ensuing adventure! But he gets found out and strangled like a chump like one minute after his character is introduced.

I don't know if you know the actress/writer Merle Kennedy but she plays a hyperactive spy type person, like pysical adept in Shadowrun? (Literally every single character that appears in this film looks like artwork from the first Shadowrun book) Anyway her character's name is ***MAX POWER*** how loving awesome is that. This movie owns.

NEMESIS!!!!

Also I think this whole movie may be on YouTube, if you can't find it on that though, it got an official blue-ray release a few years ago in the US and DVD releases too that should all be pretty cheap.

It has amazingly pulpy and ham-fisted dialog but is still pretty dense for the type of movie it is. But like imagine "I didn't ask for this" from Deus Ex Human Revolution and imagine that as like the base line. This flick as exchanges like
"You're not even human!"
"85% OF ME!!! Is still.......human...*sad confusion*"

and

"It takes more than flesh and blood to be a human being."

Like I find it impossible to watch the film and not have a huge grin on my face the entire time, it's just awesome and gives no fucks.

This movie was followed by three sequels. The second one is worth catching for free if it's on TV or maybe if it's on a streaming service you subscribe to because it goes in a really, really, REALLY unique direction, and I enjoyed it, but it's a pretty lovely movie so don't stress it. The third film is made using unused footage from the second one because it was supposed to originally be one longer film and is completely awful. The fourth one is one of the most bizarre films ever made and is set in like just two locations, it's like peak lovely late 90s sci-fi flick like Omega Doom or Prototype X29A except the main character is a female body builder assassin to likes to have sex with her victims before assassinating them via neurotoxin injecting cables that shoot out of her nipples. The entire movie plays like Albert Pyun just put a bunch of weird sexual fantasies on screen and interspersed the same "assassin botches one last job and is now on the run" plot he made like 1,000 times, also the entire movie takes place within like a two block radius somehow.

Despite their taking place in the years in which they were made and not being sci-fi movies, I think Michael Mann makes the best "Shadowrun" movies, Thief, Heat and Blackhat especially all play out pretty much exactly like some of the short stories you find in the Shadowrun game books.

This is a strange movie, it opens like the opening of Robo cop but the guy is already a robo cop and they just repair him.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 14, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

For what it's worth, they don't anymore. The Weyland Yutani Report makes no mention of it, nor do any of the novels or comics that have been published after it.
Some of the new weapons introduced in Colonial Marines have made cameos in the more recent comics, though.

This is comforting to know.

Speaking of which, I'm not too optimistic but I hope The Predator is good whenever it comes out. Predator and Predator 2 were so long ago. :(

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did you not like Predators?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

ruddiger posted:

I was gonna say, it's not Predator but it certainly tided me over pretty well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I thought it sucked really bad. I actually, ironically, have a lot of the same complaints about it that people have about Prometheus regarding selling it to me. Like I just didn't buy the cast AT ALL and it got even dumber to me when it became someone's Dexter vs. Predator crossover fan-fiction towards the end.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hunterhr posted:

I was gonna say, it's not Predator but it certainly tided me over pretty well.

Clipperton posted:

Predators was hella fun and Walton Goggins is a national treasure

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

He's gonna be a Navy Seal on the History channel by the way. Which should be... something.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Like I just didn't buy the cast AT ALL

how dare you sir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ajCgvpzwU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ixian posted:

If they get Biehn back I think they should go big, totally ridiculous style. Like Farcry Blood Dragon, the movie.

Get a cast of YA film stars - import them wholesale from some second-tier shitshow like the Maze Runner series, for example, or even go trawling around The CW stable of generic tweens - and turn them in to cannon fodder. Lean heavy on 80's hair metal and lots of neon lighting. I would watch the *poo poo* out of that movie whatever the plot.

Not gonna lie, Aliens: Blood Dragon sounds amazing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

I thought it sucked really bad. I actually, ironically, have a lot of the same complaints about it that people have about Prometheus regarding selling it to me. Like I just didn't buy the cast AT ALL and it got even dumber to me when it became someone's Dexter vs. Predator crossover fan-fiction towards the end.

Goggins was great though and nearly redeemed it because Goggins is great in everything...however this is tempered by the fact that his commitment to film this took him away from Justified for Season 2, where he was even better.

Otherwise it was pretty paint by numbers. I liked it more than Prometheus - Predators never tried to be anything more than the dumb movie it was, at least - but I didn't buy the cast performances either. Adrian Brody just annoyed the poo poo out of me with his "badass without a past" performance and I am not sure what Topher Grace was doing but "trying to be Dexter on an alien planet" is as good a description as any. And they killed Danny Trejo first! Who wastes Danny Trejo in a Predator movie?

Speaking of Predator in general, I am going to admit what is a dark secret for me: I kind of liked the first AVP movie. I don't think it's a great movie, and it's not a very good "Alien" movie, and finally the whole crossover thing just seems so loving dumb (yes, I hear the comics were good, but I don't read comics) but it kinda worked on its own. Mostly... sort of. Hey Lance Hendrickson is in it and he was trying hard too so I cut it some slack, sue me.

Sometimes dumb entertainment just works and you get what you paid for. AVP fits in there for me. Now the sequel, on the other hand, was terrible, even though the brothers who made it clearly had a lot of love for the material.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Goggins stabbing a predator from behind with a shiv while calling it a space human being is the greatest thing in any movie ever

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah its pretty awesome.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They should have been more careful.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Goggins stabbing a predator from behind with a shiv while calling it a space human being is the greatest thing in any movie ever

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

UmOk posted:

They should have been more careful.

They would have been fine if they had just laid down suppressing fire with the in-incinerators and moved back by squads to the APC.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I remember liking the title sting to Predators when he lands on the jungle floor, the reveal shot that there are a bunch of weird alien planets in the sky above them, and the visuals of the sequence where it goes to poo poo in Laurence Fishburne's hideout and they light the red flares, reminded me of Alien.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was very ready to laugh at Adrien Brody's attempt at being an Arnold-type badass but I have to admit he sold me on it pretty quickly.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
Predators was easily better than AVP, AVP2, and Alien Resurrection. The dog things that the Predators used were original and creepy as gently caress, and I liked how humans were not the only ones being dumped on that planet for hunting. That, and the concept of warring factions among the Predators opened up some intriguing story arcs for possible sequels. I wished the acting was better, though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

For the longest time, the only Blu Rays I had were Prometheus and Predators.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I was very ready to laugh at Adrien Brody's attempt at being an Arnold-type badass but I have to admit he sold me on it pretty quickly.

We need more actors like Brody who will 1000% commit to any role whatsoever, be it Wladyslaw Szpilman or Flirty Harry. Amanda Plummer's another one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

predators had one of the more ridiculous trailer edits tho.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Clipperton posted:

We need more actors like Brody who will 1000% commit to any role whatsoever, be it Wladyslaw Szpilman or Flirty Harry. Amanda Plummer's another one.

gently caress him for doing Flirty Harry. How did he get roped into that crap?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ixian posted:

Then you'd have the old, grizzled Sarge to ride herd over the next generation of teen stars and their Smart Guns. They will reject his wisdom at first, and he their youthful insight, but by the end everyone will come around and embrace what each truly completes in the other. Also, shoot a lot of Aliens and get burned by acid.

Ixian posted:

I'll be onboard as gently caress for that if you take the concept art for Biehn and meld it with Maj. Schaefer from AVP Arcade:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Ixian posted:

They would have been fine if they had just laid down suppressing fire with the in-incinerators and moved back by squads to the APC.

I think that due to Cameron directing the Marines were suffering from a serious case of Avatar Syndrome.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I watched Prometheus with the writer commentary and it's great to hear the writers walk you through character motivations and thought processes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

UmOk posted:

I think that due to Cameron directing the Marines were suffering from a serious case of Avatar Syndrome.

We see Cameron's view on military dynamics in The Abyss too. Like how the marines in Aliens just lose it as soon as they can't hear Gorman's orders and lose Apone, Michael Biehn's character in The Abyss being cut off from the chain of command is said to be part of why he totally loses his mind. But to the credit of the marines in Aliens, there's supposed to be a not insignificant number of aliens in that scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

It's a great example of someone loving something, making their homage to it, and failing on every level. There's three predators instead of just one! Only they're less threatening and effective than either of the single ones in other movies. There's a bunch of badasses from all over the world! Except they're a thrown together bunch of mostly poorly armed strangers. Two of them don't even have guns. I kind of liked the Topher Grace twist, but that doesn't make him much of a threat to a Predator, unless they're in the habit of sitting down and having a drink with their prey. There's a desperate last stand by one of the team! Except it actually works instead of being a futile gesture.

It's a weird case of a sequel directly trying to ape the original, but somehow doing it with far lower stakes. Of repeating almost every beat of the original without topping or even equalling it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What would Predators be if it were made as that franchises' Aliens — a genre shift that picks up the fiction of the first movie, but uses it to attack different themes? Predator is hypermasculine in its anxiety, with a vagina-faced phantasm picking off the bodybuilders one by one. Where do you go with Predator that echoes the rape -> motherhood or slasher->Vietnam shift between Alien and Aliens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snowman_McK posted:

It's a great example of someone loving something, making their homage to it, and failing on every level. There's three predators instead of just one! Only they're less threatening and effective than either of the single ones in other movies. There's a bunch of badasses from all over the world! Except they're a thrown together bunch of mostly poorly armed strangers. Two of them don't even have guns. I kind of liked the Topher Grace twist, but that doesn't make him much of a threat to a Predator, unless they're in the habit of sitting down and having a drink with their prey. There's a desperate last stand by one of the team! Except it actually works instead of being a futile gesture.

It's a weird case of a sequel directly trying to ape the original, but somehow doing it with far lower stakes. Of repeating almost every beat of the original without topping or even equalling it.
Definitely gonna disagree there - I read it more as the movie going out of its way to present some of the tropes from the original movie, and then going out of its way to subvert them. It's a team of people... but none of them know or trust each other. They're in a jungle... but it's not a jungle any of them are familiar with, or can exploit to their advantage. The silent warrior does a mano-a-mano last stand with a Predator... and ends up killing it. The huge gruff guy with the minigun... is revealed to be a family man and the friendliest person in the group. Adrien Brody tries the "hide in the mud" trick... and it totally doesn't work. The Super-Predators use hunting tactics... but they're all completely different from the tactics used in 'Predator', while simultaneously being intuitive and easy to understand.
'Predators' was a hoot and I really enjoyed it.

Neo Rasa posted:

We see Cameron's view on military dynamics in The Abyss too. Like how the marines in Aliens just lose it as soon as they can't hear Gorman's orders and lose Apone, Michael Biehn's character in The Abyss being cut off from the chain of command is said to be part of why he totally loses his mind. But to the credit of the marines in Aliens, there's supposed to be a not insignificant number of aliens in that scene.
For those who think they can do better than the Marines, there was a turn-based tabletop combat game in the late 80s/early 90s specifically designed to let you put your money where your mouth is. :v:
Someone made a very faithful Flash remake and it is punishingly difficult.

Groovelord Neato posted:

predators had one of the more ridiculous trailer edits tho.
Do you mean the whole "dozens of tri-laser dots on Adrien Brody" bit? Yeah that was pretty goofy. Like it isn't even a case of a deleted scene or trimmed footage making it into a trailer.

To continue the Predator derail a little bit longer, I think the thing I appreciate the most about the creature design is the way it melds advanced technology and "primitive" tribalism in a way that doesn't seem jarring or out of place, and instantly gives the Predator a memorable sense of character just from his appearance. Taking the sequels (and EU) into account, the other thing I really appreciate is the degree of individuality given to the Predators; it's a really refreshing change of pace from cookie-cutter alien species from Star Wars or Star Trek where every member of a given species is identical and can be fit neatly into an archetype. The Predators stretch that a bit by centering their culture around hunting, but the EU at least does interesting things with it like having different groups of Predators with very different, often contradictory beliefs or behaviors.
I've seen tons of "fans" complain about Predators acting "out of character" by doing things differently from the first movie or whatever, and I think that misses the point - there IS no "out of character", because they're not a homogeneous group. That's one of the things I find most interesting about them, I can't really think of another fictional species portrayed with such a degree of individuality. It gives creators a ton of real estate to do interesting things with them narratively, visually, and thematically. For me, the least interesting Predator stuff is the stuff that just rehashes the "classic" design.

On that front, I'm really looking forward to Shane Black's 'The Predator'. I've thoroughly enjoyed Shane Black's writing, and while I haven't seen 'The Nice Guys' yet, I really liked 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and 'Iron Man 3'.

General Battuta posted:

What would Predators be if it were made as that franchises' Aliens — a genre shift that picks up the fiction of the first movie, but uses it to attack different themes? Predator is hypermasculine in its anxiety, with a vagina-faced phantasm picking off the bodybuilders one by one. Where do you go with Predator that echoes the rape -> motherhood or slasher->Vietnam shift between Alien and Aliens?
To crib from the Predator EU, there's a few different ways I can think of off the top of my head. Make it a period piece, characterize the Predator differently (a boogeyman, or seemingly indiscriminate slasher), play up the ideas of the Predator as a part of human mythology, flip the roles and have competent humans hunting/capturing Predators to exploit their technology, etc.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 15, 2016