Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Dunkirk trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdljRpDMXg

Footage looks good but the trailer itself is kinda awkwardly paced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ya fair enough but this is le movie forum &
also
Do you really watch trailers after the title drop & when there's clearly nothing after? I close the tab like LIGHTNING ⚡ because I do not care for 3 small boxes with clips, one big box clip with audio & an occasional patchwork hell of annotation links

Well it also says "A Netflix Original Series" right in the middle so..

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
No footage of the germans attacking in the Dunkirk trailer?

FAIL.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, that could potentially be the best war movie ever made.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

A Deacon posted:

No footage of the germans attacking in the Dunkirk trailer?

FAIL.

Expect very few Germans.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Well it also says "A Netflix Original Series" right in the middle so..

Alright you got me, I can't read.
Stand by all my comments tho

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

BigglesSWE posted:

Dunkirk trailer.

For some weird reason I had no idea Tom Hardy's in it until I saw this trailer.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope there's not too much "im psychologically affected by war and incase u didnt know, war is bad" in that movie. I hope its more Saving Private Ryan and less Thin Red Line imo

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Looks like a really generic war movie that will be pretty. I wonder if we will see any of the Nolan's standard playing with chronology stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Looks like a really generic war movie that will be pretty. I wonder if we will see any of the Nolan's standard playing with chronology stuff.

Did his brother help write it? I know that's a trick of Jonathan Nolan's --see Person of Interest and Westworld for an example of his non-linear story telling. Even the movie Memento was based off a story by Jonathan.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I wonder where the French are.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Honestly Dunkirk trailer is doing nothin for me. :shrug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I hope there's not too much "im psychologically affected by war and incase u didnt know, war is bad" in that movie. I hope its more Saving Private Ryan and less Thin Red Line imo

But Saving Private Ryan is all about how bad war is and that it is psychology damaging. It literally starts with showing what a terrible meat grinder D-Day was.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zzulu posted:

:stare:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

But Saving Private Ryan is all about how bad war is and that it is psychology damaging. It literally starts with showing what a terrible meat grinder D-Day was.

When i saw it some old vets left early because they were crying

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

got any sevens posted:

When i saw it some old vets left early because they were crying
Can't have been that great a generation if they couldn't even handle a little action movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Alhazred posted:

Yeah but the meatgrinder was exciting

The thin red line is just some guy monologuing over people crying

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
me, watching Saving Private Ryan: hell yea!!!!!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here's some further reading. Dunkirk:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x125egp_the-world-at-war-ep-4-alone-in-britain_shortfilms

D-Day:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x125wqk_the-world-at-war-episode-17-morning-june-august-1944_shortfilms

One of the best documentaries ever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Yeah but the meatgrinder was exciting

The thin red line is just some guy monologuing over people crying

your posts are mystifying

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ALFbrot posted:

me, watching Saving Private Ryan: hell yea!!!!!

Literally every action set piece in Saving Private Ryan is amazing, for its action

The storming of the beach and the huge invasion of that town near the end were both good straight up action setpieces. Yeah they showed how horrible war was but all those scenes were exciting and entertaining and more or less just felt like war scenes. Several movies have tried to replicate that stuff and failed miserably

The thin red line was mostly just dull

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That goes for Band of Brothers as well. It also had great action... I think what I like about Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers is that it is great action + drama. They got a good balance going

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The Thin Red Line is actually a much better movie (maybe the best war movie ever) explicitly because it doesn't for one second pretend that it's anything but a constant and unending nightmare. There's enough media out there that constantly glamorizes war, we don't need another movie that papers over how it's the most horrific thing that ever happens on this planet. If your reason for liking a movie is "cool Sniper shoots guy in the face through his scope omg" then you need to grow up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

The Thin Red Line is actually a much better movie (maybe the best war movie ever) explicitly because it doesn't for one second pretend that it's anything but a constant and unending nightmare. There's enough media out there that constantly glamorizes war, we don't need another movie that papers over how it's the most horrific thing that ever happens on this planet. If your reason for liking a movie is "cool Sniper shoots guy in the face through his scope omg" then you need to grow up.

:yeah:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Literally every action set piece in Saving Private Ryan is amazing, for its action

The storming of the beach and the huge invasion of that town near the end were both good straight up action setpieces. Yeah they showed how horrible war was but all those scenes were exciting and entertaining and more or less just felt like war scenes. Several movies have tried to replicate that stuff and failed miserably

The thin red line was mostly just dull

gently caress yeah it was so badass when the dude was shot and killed gently caress yeah dude

hell yeah war

mocking of this dude aside, Dunkirk doesn't look very interesting--could just be a bad trailer tho

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I was just about to ask Zzulu if every dead soldier in Saving Private Ryan ended a cycle of violence.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Dunkirk trailer.

I agree. Lots of incredible individual moments, but doesn't amount to much. A little surprising given Nolan's track record with fantastic trailers. I'll be really interested to see how he handles the violence in this one. I think one of his most under-rated skills is his ability to depict truly awful violence without having to resort to blood and viscera.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 15, 2016

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

I think the sparse sound mix contributes to the awkward feeling of the pace.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Dunkirk trailer.

This was one of his weaker trailers, I can usually watch his trailers over and over again. I am still excited for this film though, I love Nolan movies and am always excited when a new one is announced.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BigglesSWE posted:

Dunkirk trailer.

I did not like that trailer. The first teaser got me super excited, but this... this was :geno:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Action doesn't become non-valid if it also involves the horrors of war guys. Hope this helps. Saving Private Ryan had amazing action and setpieces

Jewmanji posted:

The thin red line is barely a good movie and has no memorable scenes

Coming to think of it, I don't like any of Terrence Malicks movies

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 15, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Zzulu posted:

Action doesn't become non-valid if it also involves the horrors of war guys. Hope this helps. Saving Private Ryan had amazing action and setpieces

Coming to think of it, I don't like any of Terrence Malicks movies

I get not liking TRL but saying it had no good scenes is just ridiculous. It's practically a montage of beautiful scenes more than it is a typical movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well maybe that's why I didn't like it and it didn't seem memorable to me

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Jewmanji posted:

I'll be really interested to see how he handles the violence in this one. I think one of his most under-rated skills is his ability to depict truly awful violence without having to resort to blood and viscera.

If the trailer is anything to go by, it'll be really awkward and clumsy, like most action scenes directed by Nolan. There was nothing realistically chaotic in that trailer, everything looks so sterile and calculated that it looks like a war movie made by a lifeless machine or something. And yeah, a war movie without blood and viscera is sure to be intense and full of impact, I mean Saving Private Ryan and recently Hacksaw Ridge certainly weren't lauded for their disturbingly realistic war violence that intensified the drama and made you feel for the characters. Yeah yeah glorification of war violence and all that bullshit, but at least it leaves a mark on you. Nothing in that trailer made me feel anything, other than noticing a few nicely composed shots.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
Hacksaw Ridge definitely gave Saving Private Ryan a run for its money as the best WW2 movie depicting realistic, brutal battles.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

gently caress yeah it was so badass when the dude was shot and killed gently caress yeah dude

hell yeah war

mocking of this dude aside, Dunkirk doesn't look very interesting--could just be a bad trailer tho

If you don't think war scenes in movies are exciting or played for excitement you're a bit stupid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jewmanji posted:

Come and see?
All Quiet on the Western Front?
Das Boot?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Okay, buddy, time to cool off in the corner.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

finally the other important animated movie of 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H4EHIbRebY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I was helping watch some kids a few days ago and we put on the Minions movie to pacify them. I only half watched it (mostly because these two kids were hellions and the one made repeated attempts to bite through an extension cord) and I haven't seen any of the Despicable Me movies, but drat the minions movie was weird. It takes place in England in the 60s or some poo poo, the plot was strange and meandering, and it had a few surprisingly dark moments. Some scientist got his neck snapped and died and all his future self versions winked out of existence one by one. There was also a gag where a guy is helping the villainess tighten her corset and the butler comes in and thinks they're loving (I think that's what they were going for?)

Anyway the kids loved it and it stopped them from murdering each other.

• Locked thread