Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like Aguri Suzuki's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bellof had a good one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wicka you can talk about the perils of nostalgia and rose colored glasses and that poo poo but if there's one thing that's undeniably poo poo about F1 these days it's the goddamn helmet designs

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

HHF should have amounted to more, I thought.

He had the weirdest career trajectory I've ever seen. middling results with Sauber, beaten comprehensively by Are Jacques:canada: in the best car in the field and then suddenly in a shitbox Jordan he gets within earshot of the title.

wicka posted:

This thread is now about our favorite helmets.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I actually kinda want to look into how expensive it'd be to get a replica Lauda helmet for karting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Speaking of people who should have amounted to more,

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Wicka you can talk about the perils of nostalgia and rose colored glasses and that poo poo but if there's one thing that's undeniably poo poo about F1 these days it's the goddamn helmet designs

My god, they are so loving bad. Even the very best current helmets - Button? Massa? I don't even know - are pretty bad compared to the best helmets all-time. My favorite from last season is probably Nico's. Note that the three drivers I've listed have all retired.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
not to mention:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

My god, they are so loving bad. Even the very best current helmets - Button? Massa? I don't even know - are pretty bad compared to the best helmets all-time. My favorite from last season is probably Nico's. Note that the three drivers I've listed have all retired.

Bottas has one of the best helmets on the grid and it's like, a boring middling helmet if you drop it in the 80s.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Here we go, all 2016 helmets: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/03/17/2016-f1-drivers-helmets/

Nasr, maybe? Reminds me of Lauda.

Alain Post posted:

Bottas has one of the best helmets on the grid and it's like, a boring middling helmet if you drop it in the 80s.

Yeah, exactly this. Alonso's helmet has the potential to be great but instead it sucks rear end.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'm pretty sure Cheever only got the Renault drive because they had just bought AMC and wanted to boost their presence in the US market.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the minimalist helmets of Laffite and Arnoux.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

the problem with modern helmets is that they're all too busy, they've got like a million things going on.

like seriously I've got a headache just trying to look at this and parse whats going on.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

the problem with modern helmets is that they're all too busy, they've got like a million things going on.

Just like us millennials...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Speaking of people who should have amounted to more,

Say what you will, he was the first guy (and early Raikkonen) in a while that could match Micheal.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I really like Rosberg's stylized "NICO", but unfortunately that's pretty much completely offset by the hideous Monster Energy branding. Nasr's is probably the best of the bunch, and those of Kimi and the Williams guys aren't completely awful. The rest are basically terrible.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lewis' helmet looks like bloody urine.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Not F1 but Oriol Servia's Dali helmet is the best imho

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He had the same design on his commercial jets.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Are Graham/Damon had the best helmet design of all time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You know who had a nice, memorable helmet design before it predictably became trash

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Alonso had a pretty rad helmet this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Minto Took posted:

Alonso had a pretty rad helmet this year.

this is trash

this is a rad helmet

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've liked most of the Nando lids I've seen.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

I've liked most of the Nando lids I've seen.

Buttons Abby Babby lid this year for his final race was pretty tits, not to mention it looked great in the legendary McLaren Honda MP4-31

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hey! NWS tag that filth.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Make this the thread background please

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hahahahaha

It's gonna be even funnier when it actually happens

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Long time reader, never contribute; but the nostalgia about helmet designs takes me back to my misspent youth of designing car liveries and helmets, first on paper, then in GP2edit (or whatever other Grand Prix 2 editors were around in the early days). It was an obsession. Spent hours designing a new team / helmet (Marlboro or B&H usually being the title sponsor), do the first race (Interlagos) then repeat.

In conjunction with my fanaticism with Italian football, Andrea De Cesaris' lid was always my favourite, with Jean Alesi a close second.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
A cool photo stolen from wherever Reddit stole it from.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

aequalis posted:

That would be Gianclaudio Giuseppe "Clay" Regazzoni on that Ferrari.

Died in a car accident in 2006 in a Chrysler Voyager of all vehicles. drat Clay.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Vettel's lid design post Red Bull is good. Far better than the glittering shite he changed at each race or that weird lid at Abu Dhabi that had flashing lights on it.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I wonder if the lot of us would be even the slightest bit more tolerant of Max if he weren't undeniably the ugliest person on the planet.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

aequalis posted:

Clay using his legs. That's a rare pic.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Which was the race where Schumi was stuck in fifth gear for pretty much the entire thing and still somehow managed to get on the podium? Was it Schumi? I know it was in the late 90s/early 2000s

Didn't this happen to Alonso back in a Ferrari at one of the Spainish GPs? I swear I saw this race live and was amazed that he was still able to stay competitive but for the life of me I can't remember. I don't remember if it was him being stuck in 5th or some other gearbox issue.

wicka posted:

I doubt many people who watched F1 during his reign will rate him that highly solely because of sour grapes and the extent to which Ferrari favored him as a #1 driver.

Alain Post posted:

I legitimately think the late 90s F1 field was secretly terrible (what if Wendlinger had turned out different, what if Johnny Herbert hadn't gimped his legs, etc etc) but Schumi's accomplishments in his early career at Benetton clearly show his talent level

It takes a good and consistent enough driver in a dominating car to win the championship at some point. It takes someone of immense ability who applies himself unlike any other to completely dominate and win the thing like it was his right to do so.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If you guys want a good read, check out when Niki Lauda personally sabotaged one of his Boeing 767s to crash and burn back in '91.

quote:

Niki Lauda's visit with Boeing

Lauda said, "what really annoyed me was Boeing's reaction once the cause was clear. Boeing did not want to say anything."[19] Lauda asked Boeing to fly the scenario in a simulator. Boeing initially refused, but Lauda insisted. Lauda attempted the flight in the simulator 15 times, and in every instance he was unable to recover. He asked Boeing to issue a statement, but the legal department said it could not be issued because it would take three months to adjust the wording. Lauda asked for a press conference the following day, and told Boeing that if it was possible to recover, he would be willing to fly on a 767 with two pilots and have the thrust reverser deploy in air. Boeing told Lauda that it was not possible, so he asked Boeing to issue a statement saying that it would not be survivable, and Boeing issued the statement. Lauda said, "this was the first time in eight months that it had been made clear that the manufacturer was at fault and not the operator of the aeroplane."[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Cancer posted:

Long time reader, never contribute; but the nostalgia about helmet designs takes me back to my misspent youth of designing car liveries and helmets, first on paper, then in GP2edit (or whatever other Grand Prix 2 editors were around in the early days). It was an obsession. Spent hours designing a new team / helmet (Marlboro or B&H usually being the title sponsor), do the first race (Interlagos) then repeat.

In conjunction with my fanaticism with Italian football, Andrea De Cesaris' lid was always my favourite, with Jean Alesi a close second.

Andrea had a great helmet.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Theophany posted:

Vettel's lid design post Red Bull is good. Far better than the glittering shite he changed at each race or that weird lid at Abu Dhabi that had flashing lights on it.

Agreed. Love his "HEY I'M GERMAN" lid.

Same reason I liked Jackie Stewart's kilt protecting his dome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Die bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Abner Assington posted:

I wonder if the lot of us would be even the slightest bit more tolerant of Max if he weren't undeniably the ugliest person on the planet.

Makes sense. We all love the dreamiest driver.

• Locked thread