Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

infernal machines posted:

i know there's a rich tradition of anthropomorphizing complex systems, it's still oogida boogida bullshit you nut.

don't be racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

growing up we had an uncle who was the resident family computer man, and when he showed us how to use our brand new beige color AT&T shitbox, he advised us to always let it rest 15 to 30 seconds between reboots

he now spends his days raising goats and making goat milk product. thanks computer uncle

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

~*presents a cornucopia of fatty meats and nuts on the altar before rousing the pc from hibernation*~

the daemon slumbers, awaiting the magick packets

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
~*crosses self, enters FF FF FF FF FF FF*~

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Clockwerk posted:

growing up we had an uncle who was the resident family computer man, and when he showed us how to use our brand new beige color AT&T shitbox, he advised us to always let it rest 15 to 30 seconds between reboots

he now spends his days raising goats and making goat milk product. thanks computer uncle

did he ever own a commodore 64

there was a legit issue with the c64 if you flipped the switch off and on real quick i forget the details but it could potentially gently caress poo poo up if u did it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you could do entertaining stuff with a lot of old electronics like that.

nes was fun because you'd get crazy corrupted sprites and hosed up levels

anything made in the last 20 years will generally just not boot, and not much else.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

that's not a thing. shut down shuts down. you were hitting sleep
shaggar, was wrong?????

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Clockwerk posted:

growing up we had an uncle who was the resident family computer man,
[...]
he now spends his days raising goats and making goat milk product.
wow... living the yospos dream

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

you could do entertaining stuff with a lot of old electronics like that.

nes was fun because you'd get crazy corrupted sprites and hosed up levels

anything made in the last 20 years will generally just not boot, and not much else.

we're not gonna do much better than start wandows ngrmadly :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Linguica posted:

wow... living the yospos dream

...and that uncle was Displeased Moo Cow

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

did he ever own a commodore 64

there was a legit issue with the c64 if you flipped the switch off and on real quick i forget the details but it could potentially gently caress poo poo up if u did it

thats also how a lot of amiga viruses spread. if you warmbooted, they could stay resident in memory & write to the next writable disk inserted

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

displeased baah goat

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I thought the same thing but he's right, shutdown doesn't reinitialize the kernel just suspends it to disk. only restart or hard crash gives you a clean boot.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

huh. I may have disabled hibernation cause I only ever sleep my desktop and hibernation is really for laptops if you care about retaining state when batteries die.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's a mild obsessive tendency. not bad enough to call OCD or have a negative effect on my life, but it's there.

many people on the spectrum have obsessive tendencies

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Clockwerk posted:

sounds like he has life figured out

lol if u don't shut down, then flip the power supply switch and wait for the led on the motherboard to gradually wink out like HAL dying

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

huh. I may have disabled hibernation cause I only ever sleep my desktop and hibernation is really for laptops if you care about retaining state when batteries die.

hybrid sleep is fine and there's no real reason to turn it off because it'll pull the state from disk if there's a full power outage, but use the contents of ram if available. but yeah, if you disable the hiberfil then the fast boot dependency would be broken so you wouldn't see the feature functioning

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah it's probably really great if you're on a mobile device or a laptop or a video game console. probably not a good default for desktops and servers imho

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hybrid sleep is fine and there's no real reason to turn it off because it'll pull the state from disk if there's a full power outage, but use the contents of ram if available. but yeah, if you disable the hiberfil then the fast boot dependency would be broken so you wouldn't see the feature functioning

I've gotten in the habit of killing hiberfil since space started coming at a premium again in the age of SSDs. That file can be gigantic if you have a lot of ram

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

yeah it's probably really great if you're on a mobile device or a laptop or a video game console. probably not a good default for desktops and servers imho

it's off by default for servers, laptops need it for obvious reasons and standard desktops usually have plenty of disk space to burn a couple gigs on a hiberfil to keep the system from crapping out if the power goes out while the system is suspended. the defaults are reasonable and MS did a good job with everything except this fastboot poo poo which I strongly disagree with

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the apple solution is to have good hardware that can power the ram for a month straight

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

idiot

http://superuser.com/questions/59188/does-mac-os-x-support-hibernation

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
it writes the ram to disk, but you'd have to drain the battery which takes 30 days to trigger loading the ram from disk

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it would be neat if i could add a teams folder as a place in word/excel/powerpoint to open things from, but instead all you get is your own onedrive folder and the parent sharepoint shared documents folder. it would also be cool if you could map a sharepoint site as a folder shortcut and make it persistent across reboots.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

mishaq posted:

many people on the spectrum have obsessive tendencies

no, i'm very gregarious when i'm not depressed

anyway i hope you know that it's ableist and offensive to use "autistic" as a perjorative

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

420 hibernate laptops everyday

it bugs me that in windows 10 you have to dig into options to make hibernate available as an explicit option rather than something only triggered during sleep at a critical batter state

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

420 hibernate laptops everyday

it bugs me that in windows 10 you have to dig into options to make hibernate available as an explicit option rather than something only triggered during sleep at a critical batter state

sleep is by default hybrid sleep and out of box the laptop will transition to s4 hibernate automagically after its been in s3 sleep for some period of time stop micromanaging your poo poo for no reason

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

anyway i hope you know that it's ableist and offensive to use "autistic" as a perjorative

:goonsay:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sleep is by default hybrid sleep and out of box the laptop will transition to s4 hibernate automagically after its been in s3 sleep for some period of time stop micromanaging your poo poo for no reason

i don't want to use up battery maintaining a sleep state when i don't care about the extra 2 or 3 seconds it takes to get back to the desktop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's no different from insulting someone by calling them "retarded." i've taken it out of my personal lexicon of derogatory terms. you should do the same.

(i'm still hanging on to "sperg" for now)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFzUljfcLDI

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

it's no different from insulting someone by calling them "retarded." i've taken it out of my personal lexicon of derogatory terms. you should do the same.

but what if you don't give a single poo poo about what you should do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

but what if you don't give a single poo poo about what you should do

go buy some more spiked belts and wallet chains

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

i don't want to use up battery maintaining a sleep state when i don't care about the extra 2 or 3 seconds it takes to get back to the desktop

oh I get you, you're a Power User™

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oh I get you, you're a Power User™

no, i have a work laptop with lovely batteries and a lifetime of windows forgetting how to sleep while it's sleeping.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if windows remembering to change sleep states is anything like windows remembering to restart for updates i'd rather do it myself, too

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

lol if your servers run windows just lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

no, i'm very gregarious when i'm not depressed

was just stating a fact

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3709868/

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Sagebrush posted:

No. Shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wevbi_zEmxc

• Locked thread