Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!

Tokamak posted:

The main event was probably the worst match. Lots of show boating to cover for Joe and Nakamura not doing anything.

It was also the exact same match from the Newcastle show and there was a lot of people who went to both shows, so that pissed people off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's their own fault tbh

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

dordreff posted:

He was pretty fun at the Melbourne show too. Made a big show of us not deserving his special song he wrote, then when we all cheered that he sang it anyway. He's still not great in-ring but his heel game is very strong.

"If you don't shut up I'm not going to finish my song".

Made me laugh.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

thefakenews posted:

I just wanted to add that the Asuka/Ember Moon title match was a lot of fun, if about 5 mins too short.

Yeah that might have been the best match if it had been a bit longer. There were people around me who really started thinking they might do a title switch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Turned on the network just in time to watch Samoa Joe get kneed in the face a million times.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Genuinely upset by Young Boy Tom's horrific pronunciation of "Yarra"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Two new posts on a Wednesday night can only mean one thing

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I watched NXT, it was fine if clearly the result of taping a house show. I like whatever this Peyton/Billie pissing off the whole womens locker room thing is turning into and I wish they would give some promo/backstage time/any character at all to guys like Lorcan & Strong. Damo is a hairy scary fat man. Thanks NXT for making sure that Bull Dempsey will not be missed.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 15, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Corey burying the Drifter at any chance he gets is one of my favorite things on NXT

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

achillesforever6 posted:

Corey burying the Drifter at any chance he gets is one of my favorite things on NXT

i still think his best moment this year was during the CWC when going over the brackets for the first time, got the gargano and chiampa match, and said, "And I hope they some how both lose," out of nowhere..

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer says a lot of stuff but avoids giving a start date, which roster he'll be on or even if he'll be a wrestler.

Observer:

quote:

Chris Hero (Chris Spradlin, 36) may be returning. It’s not a done deal but he’s already gotten to the point he’s gone through the medicals. It’s notable because in the past, WWE rarely would bring back people they had cut in the past but the company is heavily scouting the indie scene and is getting the most aggressive it has ever been in trying to land the top in-ring wrestlers. Hero has been one of the best in-ring performers in the world over the past year and is Mr. Versatility, in the sense he can work seemingly every style at the highest level and is kind of master at working a match where everything means something. He was with the company from 2011 to 2013 in developmental. He had mixed reviews in the sense that everyone respected his knowledge and his ability, but there were issues with his body. He did end up losing a ton of weight when he was there. When C.M. Punk came up with the idea of The Shield, who were at first going to be his henchmen in keeping the title for a long period as a heel, the group was to be Ambrose, Rollins and Hero, but WWE wanted Reigns in the group because they believed he could be the next face of the company and that was the right way to feature him and have him learn working in matches with top guys. Hero was cut, and one coach there when he was cut noted being against that decision saying he believed Hero was the best all-around performer in developmental at the time. Since returning to the indies, he’s had a multitude of great matches, to where as far as in-ring consistency went, he was easily one of the top few wrestlers in the world. There’s no word on a start date or role. The story was huge on the Internet when it was broken and on our web site, it was one of the ten most read stories of the year

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I like that bit in the Observer about Tye Dillinger and how the NXT crowd trying to put itself over is responsible for not pushing Tye to the main roster.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Also on the Obserer WWE may want Eli Drake but his TNA contract isn't up until April 2018. He needs to get fired like he did last time in NXT. In NXT he would email management endlessly about not being put on NXT TV. Went postal and did his own version of The Rock's "Rock concert" with a electronic piano and sang a song about not being put on NXT TV.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rovert posted:

Also on the Obserer WWE may want Eli Drake but his TNA contract isn't up until April 2018. He needs to get fired like he did last time in NXT. In NXT he would email management endlessly about not being put on NXT TV. Went postal and did his own version of The Rock's "Rock concert" with a electronic piano and sang a song about not being put on NXT TV.

Did he highjack tv time or did he just sit in the offices doing that?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Did he highjack tv time or did he just sit in the offices doing that?

A Florida live event:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Friggin sweet.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Why would WWE want him back when he didn't even make TV the first time around and he's spent the intermediate time as a TNA midcarder with a stupid gimmick?

Like, what the gently caress does it take to get turned down by WWE right now?

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

keevo posted:

I like that bit in the Observer about Tye Dillinger and how the NXT crowd trying to put itself over is responsible for not pushing Tye to the main roster.

Why is that?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Grozz Nuy posted:

Why would WWE want him back when he didn't even make TV the first time around and he's spent the intermediate time as a TNA midcarder with a stupid gimmick?

It was in or around the Bill Demott era.

They are open minded now in every way these days. Stuff like this happens on the local Florida NXT shows for example.

https://twitter.com/An913_GAZEROCK/status/805233094735314944

Instead of clotheslines and sitting in chinlocks.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bill DeMott made Zack Ryder eat jelly donuts out of Festus' bare rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grozz Nuy posted:

Be Kurt Angle.

:sigh:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also Sexy Star, come to think of it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

My gut feeling is that this will end up like nu-ECW and a lot of the guys will be back in the indies within a year or two.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

deadkiller615 posted:

Why is that?

They're scared of the 10 chant turning into a new "WHAT?" chant

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/5ifazh/won_meltzer_on_the_possibility_of_a_tye_dillinger/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

uh this loving owns though? who cares if becomes the new WHAT, last I checked it was hugely over as a thing for Austin, doesn't matter if people thought it was grating. Tye was as high as ever versus Roode on the last NXT ppv, they absolutely should insert him into the Rumble at 10.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The WHAT chant is their own doing anyway because of their awful dragging promos with constant pauses for reactions. It's their job to figure out how to work around that stuff.

I never understand their logic with this stuff. Well I do but I don't. You get a guy like Dillinger becoming popular but they're worried he'll get too popular or one thing might get annoying so shy away from doing anything substantial with him. Just work around it! Just take advantage of the popularity and get fans excited and if the 10 stuff gets annoying cross that bridge when you come to it. Having an annoying chant here and there is a much lesser problem than having a product people are bored with.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Making sure fans don't have the wrong kind of fun is very important.

I can understand where they're coming from, but if someone is so popular they have people chanting his gimmick 3 nights in a row, with him only appearing one of those nights, you put him out there and make some loving money.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
WWE don't want another Ryder on the card. He was so over he was hijacking the show and it wasn't necessarily because he was a great wrestler. WWE claims that Daniel Bryan was "Catch-phrase over" with the "YES!" chants but Tye and Ryder were textbook definitions of "Catch-phrase over" without having much substance otherwise.

Other similar examples are both Breeze and Fandango who were super over in a niche audience at one time but it never caught on outside of the post-wrestlemania or NXT crowds. Breeze does have a lot to do with Vince "Not getting it" but his peak is just being an alternate to Dolph Ziggler, isn't it?

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Does it matter why they are over if they're over? If people are going to pay to see them, they're going to pay to see them, even if they're the drizzling shits in the ring. See: Hogan.

Tye isn't even bad in the ring. He's a solid hand that will take most people to a decent, respectable match or better.

I would also argue that Tyler has more of an upside than Ziggler. He's about as talented with more time and room to grow, and he has a better character. I've heard Dolph say the same 3 promos in the past couple years, but Tyler has shown he can adapt with what poo poo they give him. He's making the fashion police gimmick work for him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/badboicasey/status/809213431190605828

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

that's a stupid, lovely reason for not pushing pretty boy tye, but now im thinking about how confused a new fan would be about a countout where every number is ten.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Zeuxis/Asuka would be good as hell

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Vaguido posted:

Does it matter why they are over if they're over? If people are going to pay to see them, they're going to pay to see them, even if they're the drizzling shits in the ring. See: Hogan.
In this day and age it's not hard to imagine there are workers who can be over without actually being a draw in and of themselves (e.g. "Chant over"). The WWE doesn't want over dudes who don't draw, they want draws even if they're not over (see: workers kids love and older fans bellyache about)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Wwe shouldn't be expected to make sure that fans have fun at their shows.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

In this day and age it's not hard to imagine there are workers who can be over without actually being a draw in and of themselves (e.g. "Chant over"). The WWE doesn't want over dudes who don't draw, they want draws even if they're not over (see: workers kids love and older fans bellyache about)

The problem with this though is that while the hardcore fans have generally stayed with it. We are getting to a point where we are starting to see the older fans leave. There are a ton of other companies that are catering to the hardcore fan. Wwe just targeting kids and parents is great for the short term but usually those kids will be getting older and getting into something else.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The_Rob posted:

The problem with this though is that while the hardcore fans have generally stayed with it. We are getting to a point where we are starting to see the older fans leave. There are a ton of other companies that are catering to the hardcore fan. Wwe just targeting kids and parents is great for the short term but usually those kids will be getting older and getting into something else.
So they're taking the spongebob approach?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I mean, by all traditional business logic focusing on hardcore fans for a product this huge and expensive is the ultimate long term blunder for short term gain. Not that Vince is remotely in key with any consistent brand strategy (Goldberg)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wrestling is basically doomed

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the 10 chant is stupid af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's a really good thing the WWE isn't currently pushing anyone who causes undesirable crowd reactions for them

• Locked thread