Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Do you think the LMD story will have a tie-in to whatever Marvel movie is going to premiere in 2017?

Even if tv stuff did flow into movies in occasion, the 2017 movies are Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor:Ragnarok neither of which are on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Even if tv stuff did flow into movies in occasion, the 2017 movies are Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor:Ragnarok neither of which are on Earth.

Based off of the Dr. Strange after-credits scene, it seems like at least some of Thor 3 will be taking place on Earth.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nelson posted:

Hopefully ABC will renew it, but if they don't I hope one of the streaming companies decides to continue it.

The real bummer is 90% of the stand-off MCU vs AOS was because of Coulson and how much Whedon hated that. With Whedon gone, it's possible that could change, but yeah.

The show was clearly divorced and moved into a one-way tie-in with the MCU where the Netflix series, having a much smoother start, are very likely to take that cake. Plus Netflix and Marvel are really linked now so despite the fact ABC is a Disney network, it's odd.

Now, the one thing going in it's favor is it is a way to keep shouting the word Marvel over and over onto TV. Disney uses a lot of the shows on ABC for advertising their stuff; they have gone out of their way to make sure characters drop Star Wars references and Marvel references throughout every bit of media they own for the brand. They may want to keep something Marvel related on ABC merely to keep the name being said.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

Weirdly enough the first episode was directed by former Marvel Comics EiC Joe Quesada.

The last time Quesada was on Fat Man on Batman, Kevin Smith was trying to convince him to get into directing. I guess he took the advice.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Klungar posted:

Based off of the Dr. Strange after-credits scene, it seems like at least some of Thor 3 will be taking place on Earth.

Pfft, that was so obvs Loki

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Klungar posted:

Oh god, let there be a team-up between Thor, Strange, Loki, and Coulson.

Best. Day. Ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hangedman1984 posted:

Pfft, that was so obvs Loki

Why do people keep saying this?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
is SHIELD doing poor in ratings? Is that why you think it'll be cancelled?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Zzulu posted:

is SHIELD doing poor in ratings? Is that why you think it'll be cancelled?

It's not doing great. It's also beating whatever ABC had in that slot last year and has been jacked around by the election.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They have viewership which is more than you can say about a lot of network shows. I kind of want them to just kind of jettison themselves from the movies like how the Netflix series just take place sometime after Avengers so that we don't have to wait on the movies. The breaks just don't make for good TV and undoubtedly muck up viewership numbers.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Why do people keep saying this?

was mainly joking, but supposedly its cause Thor took off pretty much immediately at the end of Avengers2, Loki disguises himself as other people all the time, Loki is probably looking to make nice with Thanos after he failed to get the tesseract infinity gem and losing the scepter gem in the process, so getting another gem, like the one kept in Strange's eyeball necklace.

just conjecture that is probably wrong, but spoilered just in case

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

The real bummer is 90% of the stand-off MCU vs AOS was because of Coulson and how much Whedon hated that. With Whedon gone, it's possible that could change, but yeah.

The show was clearly divorced and moved into a one-way tie-in with the MCU where the Netflix series, having a much smoother start, are very likely to take that cake. Plus Netflix and Marvel are really linked now so despite the fact ABC is a Disney network, it's odd.

Now, the one thing going in it's favor is it is a way to keep shouting the word Marvel over and over onto TV. Disney uses a lot of the shows on ABC for advertising their stuff; they have gone out of their way to make sure characters drop Star Wars references and Marvel references throughout every bit of media they own for the brand. They may want to keep something Marvel related on ABC merely to keep the name being said.

I don't think the Netflix MCU stuff will ever tie in to the larger MCU unless something changes in the division between Marvel TV and Marvel films. Hell all the Netflix series take place between Avengers 1 and Avengers 2 and besides some name drops, really have nothing to tie them into the MCU at large.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hangedman1984 posted:

was mainly joking, but supposedly its cause Thor took off pretty much immediately at the end of Avengers2, Loki disguises himself as other people all the time, Loki is probably looking to make nice with Thanos after he failed to get the tesseract infinity gem and losing the scepter gem in the process, so getting another gem, like the one kept in Strange's eyeball necklace.

Actually, Loki would make a good substitute for Mephisto in the Infinity War.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lzMLoY4aHE

First Slingshot episode is up.

Edit: oh, all 6 are.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

With the LMD tagline for the next half, is that it for Ghost Rider? booooo

RIP Ghostface Killer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

With the LMD tagline for the next half, is that it for Ghost Rider? booooo

RIP Ghostface Killer

GR CGI is probably pretty expensive. LMDs can just be anyone and they only need to spend a few bucks split-screening May.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Plus, the Darkhold (God, what a stupid name, I feel filthy just typing it out) is still in play, and we know very explicitly that Robbie is not dead and that a Ghost Rider has returned from hell before. It's likely he will be back before season's end.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
stupid and ridiculous names is essential to the comic book experience

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And the Darkhold is perfectly comic booky, with the ancient evil text with a perfectly type set front cover.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
They had to take Ghost Rider out of play for the dumb Battlestar Galactica retread we're going to get because his whole soul fire thing would very obviously not work on the LMD's.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

And the Darkhold is perfectly comic booky, with the ancient evil text with a perfectly type set front cover.

The cover only looks the way you expect to perceive it, everyone sees it differently. :tinfoil:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bloodychill posted:

They had to take Ghost Rider out of play for the dumb Battlestar Galactica retread we're going to get because his whole soul fire thing would very obviously not work on the LMD's.
Unless it did, which would raise all sorts of fascinating philosophical questions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spergatory posted:

Plus, the Darkhold (God, what a stupid name, I feel filthy just typing it out) is still in play, and we know very explicitly that Robbie is not dead and that a Ghost Rider has returned from hell before. It's likely he will be back before season's end.

Plus the comicbook version of the Darkhold has links to pretty much all the mystical/supernatural Marvel characters (even Kull, Conan and Red Sonja) and was apparently responsible for creating all the vampires and werewolves so it opens up a whole bunch of potential crossovers.

It even had it's own comic series of a sort for a while:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

PierreTheMime posted:

The cover only looks the way you expect to perceive it, everyone sees it differently. :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure Cthon was just itching to use his new layout programs.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

bloodychill posted:

I don't think Ghost Rider is going to get fat, dude

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure Chthon was just itching to use his new layout programs.

:spergin:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure that Ghost Rider will return within six episodes and this will not be drawn out like your typical will they/won't they? relationship drama.

Edit: I mean as long as the show didn't get cancelled two years ago.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 19, 2016

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I imagine that it is hard to have a villain on the show when you have an invincible flaming demon on your side.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If they did keep him around, they would have to figure out how to nerf him every other episode as the default response would be to send in the invulnerable demon that no one has a defense against.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I thought that's what the whole 'we can't work with this guy, he's a murderer and Shield is supposed to be above that' angle was for. They don't need to nerf him power-wise, just make it politically untenable for him to stick around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

NmareBfly posted:

I thought that's what the whole 'we can't work with this guy, he's a murderer and Shield is supposed to be above that' angle was for. They don't need to nerf him power-wise, just make it politically untenable for him to stick around.

What's the difference between that and the current situation then? If the character is too overpowered to use much, then he's not going to get screentime regardless.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If they did keep him around, they would have to figure out how to nerf him every other episode as the default response would be to send in the invulnerable demon that no one has a defense against.

Have the demon turn evil

Or just find a bigger demon somewhere

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Why would he stay with SHIELD? He got his vengeance. If he makes it back from wherever he got sucked down to he is more likely to go do his own thing than accept a tracking watch and a badge.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Shield can't really hold him anyway. They just have to convince him to work with them or ask a magic person to tell him to gently caress off.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Plus, he's also got his own vengeance thing with the Ghost Rider demon itself that he's gotta deal with. So we might just see him drive through a wall in the middle of a fight and single out some random mook for that child he murdered while robbing a bank three years ago.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

hangedman1984 posted:

Loki literally has the tesseract right now, and had the power gem but sent it away to the collector.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

greatn posted:

Loki literally has the tesseract right now, and had the power gem but sent it away to the collector.

That'd be an interesting dynamic I hope they explore. Since Loki took the throne in Odin's guise, he now has to act like Odin or be found out. In a way, he has no choice but to be "good" if he wants to stay where he is.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

RareAcumen posted:

Plus, he's also got his own vengeance thing with the Ghost Rider demon itself that he's gotta deal with. So we might just see him drive through a wall in the middle of a fight and single out some random mook for that child he murdered while robbing a bank three years ago.

Nah, there's going to at least be an episode where Ghost Rider and Mack go after whoever killed Mack's dead wife/kid and the person they're after keeps getting away.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I just assumed they were playing him as unstoppable so the real big bad of the season could slap him around before the mid season break for extra "oh poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Javid posted:

I just assumed they were playing him as unstoppable so the real big bad of the season could slap him around before the mid season break for extra "oh poo poo".

It's just a new power that everyone needs to -try to- adapt to dealing with. Like if you've been dealing with people who could either shoot electricity or fire for half a decade and then all of a sudden someone shows up utilizing the power cosmic.

• Locked thread