Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Side note: dishwashers aren't lower on the BoH totem pole. If you get a good dishwasher, you treat them as nice as possible, because they are a rare breed. I'm switching jobs, but at my old job, our dishwashers were fantastic and what I will probably miss the most. Maybe that's the problem; he thinks he's subservient to you, even though you guys just have different jobs.

This. If you have a dishwasher who will work efficiently, show up on time and relatively sober, you handle them with kid gloves. I spent far more time working bars/clubs but I valued good barbacks over good bartenders. It was easy to hire either position - but 90% of the "barbacks" really were just holding their breath until they could bartend, and doing the bare minimum in the meantime. Same concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

LunarShadow posted:

This, pretty much. Good dishwashers are a god send when you are busy. Some are just salty because they think that they are being looked down on for being a dishwasher.. Or are just salty because waiters keep throwing knives into the wash sink while they are scrubbing things/have their hands in it. That last one happened to me until the head chef straight up told me to spray them with the vert hose if they keep doing it, since they weren't responding to being asked politely to not throw sharp objects at my hands.

Please excuse me not having worked in a kitchen without a McD in front of the name, but if I worked a kitchen with knives in it, seriously who puts a barely used sharp knife in with the dishes? Someone who wants a hosed up blunt lovely knife back?
In my mind that prick has a lot more to answer for than throwing sharp objects at the dishwasher. Yes I did some dish-pig shifts at close, caught a fair amount of poo poo, but never a good knife since we didn't have those at McDs.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 8, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BastardAus posted:

Please excuse me not having worked in a kitchen without a McD in front of the name, but if I worked a kitchen with knives in it, seriously who puts a barely used sharp knife in with the dishes? Someone who wants a hosed up blunt lovely knife back?
In my mind that prick has a lot more to answer for than throwing sharp objects at the dishwasher. Yes I did some dish-pig shifts at close, caught a fair amount of poo poo, but never a good knife since we didn't have those at McDs.

He probably means like the steak knives they give the customers, waiters don't generally handle kitchen knives at all unless they have to do prep work like slice lemons for the bar.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Skwirl posted:

He probably means like the steak knives they give the customers, waiters don't generally handle kitchen knives at all unless they have to do prep work like slice lemons for the bar.

Yeah, this is what I meant. It was the knives that went out to the customers. They weren't extremely sharp but they had a point on em and after getting stuck the firest time after repeated requests to loving stop, I stopped being polite.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

As a dishwasher, I found telling Management of all levels "If people don't start doing _______ properly, I am just going to go home, and they can do dishes tonight." worked incredibly well. Which is unfortunate, as asking people to be more conscious of it should be all that's needed.

Though if anybody is going into work and just being pissy, and refusing to help resolve the issues, gently caress em. Get them fired, as a toxic work environment doesn't help anybody.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I always treated my dishwashers with kid gloves when I was running the bar/grill kitchen because I didn't want to have to do my job and theirs. They got the same money the rest of the kitchen crew did, and if one of my cooks gave them poo poo they spent a shift in the dish pit and I ran their station.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'd give a lot to have a crew of reliable solid dishwashers... I'd fire any cook in the house before I let go of Jose, my one really good dish guy. And if I could scoop up Victor from a previous job I'd have 80% less stress in my life... I spend as much time staffing the dish pit as I do everything else put together.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?

Skwirl posted:

dishwasher is the lowest totem on the pole, just get him fired

This is a lovely way to think about your workplace environment.

a good cook, a good dishwasher, a good server, a good bartender ... all have the same value as workers and people.

hrolfr fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 9, 2016

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I gotta say, when you find a good reliable dishwasher you stick by them.

The crazy assistant manager fired the best dishwasher the shop had and it took us like 9 months to finally find a good replacement.

Don't lose the dishwasher. A very important cog in the machine.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
On the other hand, if you have a lovely dishwasher, can their rear end, please. How this guy at our place has lasted a month, I don't know, but he seems to think "clean" means "get it wet, throw it in the machine, and put it on the clean rack whether there's still poo poo on it or not" and I've about had enough of it. It reached the point today where I portioned stuff until he clocked out so I could go back to the pit and re-wash all of the cutting boards and get to anything that required them, because he brought them all back out dirty and I knew from experience that sending them back would just mean that they would get thrown in the machine and brought back out soaking wet, regardless of whether or not they were clean. The server on did the same thing for all of our rammekins and a huge stack of plates. Everyone is practically begging the chef-owners to fire him, and I have no idea why they haven't. He is legitimately so dumb that he doesn't understand how the dishes aren't clean after just putting them through the machine with little to no scrubbing, and is completely unwilling (or unable) to learn or change.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 11, 2016

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, sometimes you have to have a sit down with the dishwasher and be like:

Yo, man / lady, just please make sure the dishes are actually clean before we get them.

Trust me, when the place is slow I get in the pit and help out.

Grab the drat steel sponge and go to work.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

On the other hand, if you have a lovely dishwasher, can their rear end, please. How this guy at our place has lasted a month, I don't know, but he seems to think "clean" means "get it wet, throw it in the machine, and put it on the clean rack whether there's still poo poo on it or not" and I've about had enough of it. It reached the point today where I portioned stuff until he clocked out so I could go back to the pit and re-wash all of the cutting boards and get to anything that required them, because he brought them all back out dirty and I knew from experience that sending them back would just mean that they would get thrown in the machine and brought back out soaking wet, regardless of whether or not they were clean. The server on did the same thing for all of our rammekins and a huge stack of plates. Everyone is practically begging the chef-owners to fire him, and I have no idea why they haven't. He is legitimately so dumb that he doesn't understand how the dishes aren't clean after just putting them through the machine with little to no scrubbing, and is completely unwilling (or unable) to learn or change.

At some point you just put every dirty plate into the dish pit at 6:30pm and keep sending them back until they're clean, and if Chef yells at your about why you're not putting food in the window, you tell him you're waiting for clean plates because you can't serve food on what's been stocked on line.

(don't do this, you'll get fired, but drunk me at 3am thinks this is a great idea and also I am so happy I have free reign to just fire people who aren't good at their jobs these days)

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The best thing about the Holiday season is that the female staff (god I'm not trying to be politically correct), loves to pick up shifts for extra loot. And great for them, make that money.

I've just been taking days off left and right.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Christ.

Today we discovered that a bartender we fired months ago for drinking on the job had also been stealing via tip doctoring; specifically from a semi-regular who has a tendency to spend charitably on drug addicts and other folks who have gotten the short end of the stick. I guess she'd thought he wouldn't notice, and he didn't until she called him asking for money sometime recently and he got curious enough to look back at his bank statements.

#smdh

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trebuchet King posted:

Christ.

Today we discovered that a bartender we fired months ago for drinking on the job had also been stealing via tip doctoring; specifically from a semi-regular who has a tendency to spend charitably on drug addicts and other folks who have gotten the short end of the stick. I guess she'd thought he wouldn't notice, and he didn't until she called him asking for money sometime recently and he got curious enough to look back at his bank statements.

#smdh

Tip doctoring as in writing a 1 next to the 4 on the payment slip to up your tip from $4 to $14?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Not even that degree of rear end-covering, turns out...just punching in the bigger number to the computer. So a $5 tip became, on different occasions, $20 and $80 in the system. But it was easy enough to find those days' receipts and the original signed merchant copies and go "what the poo poo?" I don't hear our GM swear much but hoo boy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stare: I smell litigation.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that's straight up theft right there. gently caress that bartender person.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, no question--other suspicious events during my time working with her are now kind of clicking into place, too. The firing offense was, for brevity's sake, getting caught with no satisfactory explanation, at the end of a lunch shift, as to where all the Fireball had gone since it was measured that morning. There were other incidents (spread out, over years) of money disappearing from tables, and we can't help but wonder if there's a connection.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Remember that huge crazy story about the FOH supervisor who hosed off and went crazy and tried to open her own restaurant to try and put us out of business by copying our lunch service concept? After getting the boot from two locations in less than a year, which we suspect has something to do the 16 liens against her, she parked her food trailer in her driveway and has been doing delivery-only lunches out of her house. One of her former employees took 20+ min of video of deliveries coming and going plus photos of the trailer in her driveway and sent them along to the health department. Our current FOH manager's husband is longtime buddies with someone in the state office, and word got passed down that her home is getting a surprise visit tomorrow. After all of the harassment, information theft, and deliberate attempts to damage our reputation, I can't wait to see her get what she deserves.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Remember that huge crazy story about the FOH supervisor who hosed off and went crazy and tried to open her own restaurant to try and put us out of business by copying our lunch service concept? After getting the boot from two locations in less than a year, which we suspect has something to do the 16 liens against her, she parked her food trailer in her driveway and has been doing delivery-only lunches out of her house. One of her former employees took 20+ min of video of deliveries coming and going plus photos of the trailer in her driveway and sent them along to the health department. Our current FOH manager's husband is longtime buddies with someone in the state office, and word got passed down that her home is getting a surprise visit tomorrow. After all of the harassment, information theft, and deliberate attempts to damage our reputation, I can't wait to see her get what she deserves.

I remember this, and you absolutely have to let us know how this plays out. That poo poo is insane.

In stupid bullshit in my city, a guy (very much a decent human being) that I know that had been operating a restaurant on a university campus on contract for the last 4.5 years was removed from the premises and has his contract terminated on zero notice... for a facebook/craigslist job posting that had a few tongue-in-cheek jokes in it. He may have called potential employees 'slaves', and I can understand people getting offended, but the entire ad was obviously a joke and the graduate student council or whatever the gently caress still just terminated his contract and fired him and all of his employees, over a loving facebook post. poo poo is ridiculous, and people are, if you'll all excuse my un-PC-ness, loving retarded.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
post the ad

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Naelyan posted:

I remember this, and you absolutely have to let us know how this plays out. That poo poo is insane.

In stupid bullshit in my city, a guy (very much a decent human being) that I know that had been operating a restaurant on a university campus on contract for the last 4.5 years was removed from the premises and has his contract terminated on zero notice... for a facebook/craigslist job posting that had a few tongue-in-cheek jokes in it. He may have called potential employees 'slaves', and I can understand people getting offended, but the entire ad was obviously a joke and the graduate student council or whatever the gently caress still just terminated his contract and fired him and all of his employees, over a loving facebook post. poo poo is ridiculous, and people are, if you'll all excuse my un-PC-ness, loving retarded.

Gonna need a bit more context, but even from your description as "tongue-in-cheek" they really shouldn't use the word "slave" to describe people who work for them on something with a public university's name attached.

Edit: Thought experiment, come up with a craigslist ad in your head that uses the word "slave" that describes a job you'd apply to.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 15, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Gonna need a bit more context, but even from your description as "tongue-in-cheek" they really shouldn't use the word "slave" to describe people who work for them on something with a public university's name attached.

Edit: Thought experiment, come up with a craigslist ad in your head that uses the word "slave" that describes a job you'd apply to.

Possibly one where it's preceded with "sex", but no guarantees

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Naelyan posted:

counterpoint: why are you using your real name and business info to make even remotely offensive jokes? its 2016 he should know better

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Skwirl posted:

"Wanted: Postdoc to write papers and slave away in lab, compensation low"

I mean it's the same as any other postdoc job but at least it's honest about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tunicate posted:

"Wanted: Postdoc to write papers and slave away in lab, compensation low"

I mean it's the same as any other postdoc job but at least it's honest about it.

I feel so bad for you. You should work in a restaurant instead, probably before you went into debt for the postdoc.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

post the ad

Ad from the internet posted:

I need a new slave (full time staff member) to boss (mentor) around at CAFE NAME! We are an independent cafe (yah me) located on campus at NAMELESS Univeristy (parking sucks). We sell wake-up juice (coffee, espresso drinks), confidence booster (beer), dancing liquid (alcoholic drinks), life fuel (paninis, wraps, soups, salads and desserts). This cafe position is mainly Mon-Fri (No way!) but sometime weekends :( but usually not...but maybe. But really, we are closed Sat and Sun (unless we are open). SmartServe is a must (or shortly after if you get the gig). Food safety certificate would help your cause too (we try not to kill our customers). We also operate a food truck (so man buns and tattoos are ok). But the truck is shut down for the winter so you will have time to grow that man bun or get inked (I won't hold it against you if you don't). Cash handling is part of the job (but mostly debit and credit these days! Ugh! drat fees). If you know how to make those fancy latte drinks you'll be almost a shoo in (I suck at them). Sound like you could fit in here? Send me your life story (resume) to [dude's email address] attention "The best boss in the world"

P.S. Pay is crap....unless your really good then its just ok.

Other than the word 'slave', it's pretty non-offensive. Even with the word in there, demanding he take down the ad and maybe issue an apology would be a justifiable thing to do, closing down his business (that'd been open four and a half years) with no notice and terminating him and all of his staff is pretty insane.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
They were probably looking for a reason to terminate anyway.

Admittedly, that ad reads more like a manic rant than an actual employment ad.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

They were probably looking for a reason to terminate anyway.

Admittedly, that ad reads more like a manic rant than an actual employment ad.

I never said it was good jokes. And yeah, I'm kind of assuming that they have plans for the space that don't include them contracting someone else to run a restaurant, but it's a pretty lovely way to handle the situation. There's already a sizable internet backlash about the whole thing.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Naelyan posted:

Other than the word 'slave', it's pretty non-offensive. Even with the word in there, demanding he take down the ad and maybe issue an apology would be a justifiable thing to do, closing down his business (that'd been open four and a half years) with no notice and terminating him and all of his staff is pretty insane.

The alcohol jokes could be a bit fraught at a university, which often have drinking issues.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

I'm back in the saddle after taking some time off following having helped to put on a dinner at the James Beard House. I'm going to assume the position as the sous at a "fine dining" establishment. The chef is a Le Bec-Fin alumnus and his current sous is as he put it "an alcoholic piece of poo poo". Kitchens never change. I want to go back to school, but I hate money and having time off. Also I really like to cut stuff. :chef:

pile of brown posted:

I'd give a lot to have a crew of reliable solid dishwashers... I'd fire any cook in the house before I let go of Jose, my one really good dish guy. And if I could scoop up Victor from a previous job I'd have 80% less stress in my life... I spend as much time staffing the dish pit as I do everything else put together.

This. When I went to Alaska the chef I worked with when asked "should I bring anything extra in my roll?" Added a "[Fill in your favorite nationality here] to wash our dishes".

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah, I gotta say, when you find a good reliable dishwasher you stick by them.

The crazy assistant manager fired the best dishwasher the shop had and it took us like 9 months to finally find a good replacement.

Don't lose the dishwasher. A very important cog in the machine.

:hfive:

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007
So i'm down to my last 2 days at my job/in the industry/at the only job ive had since i've been an adult. 10 and a half years. For better or worse, mostly better, most of my life is directly or indirectly a result of working there all these years. I wont get into all of it, but its a weird feeling to say the least. I'm going into a health care position, which is what ive been working towards for many years. Its very weird to realize that next week, what i do will matter. In a restaurant, the worst thing that could possibly happen is that someones night out doesnt go well. So the kind of responsibility of having what I do matter is daunting, but what I really need and want.

This could easily be a book, so im just gonna leave it at that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Torbo posted:

This could easily be a book, so im just gonna leave it at that.

Moving up in the world, pal. Godspeed!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
In less than 48 hours I start a new job at an opening restaurant that already has 3 very successful locations in my city's major entertainment area. I will be in charge of like 12 cooks and will be very reasonably compensated as far as wages + benefits in my area go. I'm excited to see what fresh and exciting ways this will all end up hosed up with me hating life as usual.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

the great deceiver posted:

In less than 48 hours I start a new job at an opening restaurant that already has 3 very successful locations in my city's major entertainment area. I will be in charge of like 12 cooks and will be very reasonably compensated as far as wages + benefits in my area go. I'm excited to see what fresh and exciting ways this will all end up hosed up with me hating life as usual.

that's awesome and i'm jealous

this whole month i've only been sked one shift a week at the vegan place on dish but they also try to call me in at least 1-2x/week so it's fuckin confusing but whatever

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the great deceiver posted:

If BOH is running smoothly, you can be sure FOH will pick up the slack in loving things up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

If BOH is running smoothly, you can be sure FOH will pick up the slack in loving things up

Hey hey hey, as a former FOH person I can guarantee they're gonna gently caress up regardless of how the BOH is doing.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Hey hey hey, as a former FOH person I can guarantee they're gonna gently caress up regardless of how the BOH is doing.

Well, yeah, but it's more of a Murphy's Constant thing - the number and degree of fuckups in a restaurant has a minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can't help but feel that taking the word of someone named 'the great deceiver' at face value is a risky proposition :v:
I hope everything goes well for you, I really do

• Locked thread