Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

watch all the parts, that doco is great

:same: Also I am pretty sure these assholes don't understand game development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

:same: Also I am pretty sure these assholes don't understand game development.

they sure spend a lot of time talking about fun and smiles for a games company, scarcely any mentions of fidelity or immersion. true amateurs

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget what the cleverest of shitizens recently deduced: that when C-Robbz promised 2.6 "this year" in October/November, he was referring to the fiscal year, which ends September 30th 2017. So they have plenty of time to get all the kinks worked out before CRobizzle and MoMA are wrong.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7354623/#Comment_7354623

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

:five:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
FYAD is to SC thread as Ralp/Spanish Manlove et al were to Doobie's- "I don't see what's so funny about all this. You are all mentally ill" etc ad nauseum. There are worse trolls than not having a sense of humour

It was funnier when FYAD would fill a page with Stone Cold Steve Austin gifs but now there aren't enough active FYAD users to fill a page

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

"Look the only reason Star Citizen posters get penalized more is because they tend to be more inflammatory and make personal attacks."
"gently caress you that's bullshit you gay oval office."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The Titanic posted:

One day they're going to have a revelation that the info they are telling people exists actually does not exist at all, and the game that is being built isn't remotely close or capable of supporting what they think the info was supposed to say.

Until then though, full steam ahead! :downs:

Remember the golf swing scan. Never forget.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Tippis posted:

I keep harping on about it to anyone who even gets tangentially close to the subject, but I consider Conspiracy of Fools to be one of the best crime/drama/thriller books I've read. Except that it's a journalistic exposé of the whole company from start to finish.

I've just finished this on your recommendation, and you're right, it's excellent and very enjoyable, thank you. It also has clear parallels to what's happening on CIG. One good thing to come from this thread anyway.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That is loving idiotic.

I honestly believe they are attempting to make the Arma of space at this point and all the nonsense animations typical 'gamers' want to skip through. That's part of their game, that's the part of their game they are adding in to make it 'real' and justify the hundred million dollars to secure this type of loving nonsense, so they don't get sued out of existence when an eventual review of this ponzi scheme actually happens. Christ Robert's has pivoted, to secure the autistic-Eve-players-man-baby-incomes, and they finance the game to start out as Gods with huge fleets that not even 1/10th of it can be in the same zone together 'because that's what you asked for,' realism, idiots.

This poo poo just keeps getting better and better.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I love how they think SC will have a dynamic economy and political system when it took them 4-plus years to figure out how to get a shooty-man to jump over a rail and they still haven't gotten it right.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ComfyPants posted:

I love how they think SC will have a dynamic economy and political system when it took them 4-plus years to figure out how to get a shooty-man to jump over a rail and they still haven't gotten it right.

But now the pipelines have been created. Look forward to lots of content, just coming out fast and furious :gizz:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

:allears:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Beet Wagon posted:

:smuggo: - "Lol if you idiots think that exploration is going to be hard to make work with only 100 planets you haven't been paying attention."

:allears: - "So then how are they going to make it work?"

:smuggo: - "I literally have no loving idea."

lol

e: the actual "you haven't been paying attention" guy's response is somehow even better:

SPOILER: leaked exploration mission from the future!

You land on an obscure wasteland of a planet in a far-off corner of the galaxy. Looking around you, you can see that the local aliens have developed a primitive civilization with simple tools and structures, and that you have landed in one of their cities.

Your quest marker points you to an abandoned building. The windows are boarded up, and the door has been locked with a heavy chain. You can tell from the dust on the chain that the building has been abandoned for a long time.

Using your Space Laser Knife, you cut through the chain and enter the building. Cobwebs hang from the ceiling, and lights flicker overhead. Dusty computers are lined up inside. Their monitors are all black, except for one which miraculously still seems to be working. You hurry to the one working computer and type in "download star citizen.exe".

"Sorry, commando" flashes across the computer's display screen. "Derek Smart was right."

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

What are you talking about? It's perfectly plausible that 140,000,000,000 UEC of pre-sold assets won't be a problem in a fully simulated 9:1 ratio of 4,500,000 NPCS that aren't in the background and are actual entities, rendered at 10x the level of detail of any other game, running a functioning economy in 100 systems on hundreds of playable areas in hundreds of thousands of ships that are also rendered at 10x the level of detail of any other game.

It's so little of a problem that I bought a $300 mining ship and a $900 space farm ship to take full advantage of all of the wondrous features of the economy due to my full confidence in the future.

Just don't ask me any specifics on cargo, trading, resources, currency, ship replacement and insurance, missions and mission payouts, how a hard limit on systems will work, what areas will be able to be explored, what the resources for trading or hauling would even be in the first place, how ship loss will be handled, how exploits will be handled, how guild activities work, how instances work in terms of resources and resource rarity, how NPC crew would work, what checks and balances there would be to protect the magical millions of real NPC economy, how real money trading will work, how the price of UEC will be prevented from massive hyperinflation due to pre-selling $140m worth of assets, or any other actual detail or real information other than heresay or years old speculation and complete backer fantasies on any of a thousand different things that would need to be known, worked on, figured out and already exist by this point.

but I've got my eye on a $700 hauling ship.and a $3000 destroyer though.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Fat Shat Sings posted:

What are you talking about? It's perfectly plausible that 140,000,000,000 UEC of pre-sold assets won't be a problem in a fully simulated 9:1 ratio of 4,500,000 NPCS that aren't in the background and are actual entities, rendered at 10x the level of detail of any other game, running a functioning economy in 100 systems on hundreds of playable areas in hundreds of thousands of ships that are also rendered at 10x the level of detail of any other game.

It's so little of a problem that I bought a $300 mining ship and a $900 space farm ship to take full advantage of all of the wondrous features of the economy due to my full confidence in the future.

Just don't ask me any specifics on cargo, trading, resources, currency, ship replacement and insurance, missions and mission payouts, how a hard limit on systems will work, what areas will be able to be explored, what the resources for trading or hauling would even be in the first place, how ship loss will be handled, how exploits will be handled, how guild activities work, how instances work in terms of resources and resource rarity, how NPC crew would work, what checks and balances there would be to protect the magical millions of real NPC economy, how real money trading will work, how the price of UEC will be prevented from massive hyperinflation due to pre-selling $140m worth of assets, or any other actual detail or real information other than heresay or years old speculation and complete backer fantasies on any of a thousand different things that would need to be known, worked on, figured out and already exist by this point.

but I've got my eye on a $700 hauling ship.and a $3000 destroyer though.
Chris said he could see ships costing "significantly more" in game UEC than people are getting them for now. So it's "significantly more" than 140,000,000,000 UEC of pre-sold assets.

Otherwise big fan of the post could not agree more.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wait...did they do what the r/starcitizen forum did and hide the downvote button? :laffo:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:laffo:

Unfunny Poster posted:

Wait...did they do what the r/starcitizen forum did and hide the downvote button? :laffo:
You got that backwards, it's /r/ds that has no downvote button.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So have they officially failed their 2.6 deadline yet?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yes, again. Last post from a dev at the RSI forums is from 3 days ago (1week if you don't count customer support responses). Looks like a comms curfew of some kind is in place. Keeping an eventual SQ42 demo tight I would understand. But no info on the upcoming sale is just weird.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 15, 2016

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Mods namechange to Gay Abandon tia

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I just finished the COD IW campaign, the first time you go from the bridge, take an elevator down to the flight deck, walk over to your fighter and get in and take of into space it's all very cool but I thought of SC and realized that doing this every mission will be super tedious. Then the game just spawned me in front of the fighter when I went on the next mission. Looks like someone at Infinity Ward realized it to.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

They can't fail a deadline when all they have to do is update the fake schedule before release.

Then when they do release it will be right on time and just when the schedule said it would be.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Give it a few months and then the animated gif (guh-if) comprised of all their useless Gannt chart changes will work perfectly as a beat visualizer alongside "oops I did it again".

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Exinos posted:

They can't fail a deadline when all they have to do is update the fake schedule before release.

Then when they do release it will be right on time and just when the schedule said it would be.

The schedule is so dumb it's amazing even Citizens buy into it.

"Yeah that's an internal high-concept schedule, those are naturally really aggressive by which I mean so unrealistic nobody even bats an eyelid when we update it to say we're one week late since last week anyway most open development ever!!"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MedicineHut posted:

Yes, again. Last post from a dev at the RSI forums is from 3 days ago (1week if you don't count customer support responses). Looks like a comms curfew of some kind is in place. Keeping an eventual SQ42 demo tight I would understand. But no info on the upcoming sale is just weird.

I'ma go out on a limb and say the next sale will be for a concept ship that's a bit better than the ship currently occupying its imaginary gameplay niche

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

According to their schedule graph, PTU deadline for 2.6 was a little over an hour ago, if we're generous and give them until midnight LA studio time. So, yes. They have about 47 hours before they miss the deadline for general release.

I can't wait for Friday's stream of racing through floating camera shutters, poo poo space FPS, and lots of confusion and nonsense from a bunch of people stuffed in a studio trying to kill time because of technical difficulties.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuFY09388qE&t=33s

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:allears:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Looks like I'm getting it all back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrORwEG4lQ&t=64s

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don't worry, they'll have a schedule update for the people getting anxious in this thread. The patch will be getting released on the 23rd, you can book it. And when they make the tough decision next Thursday to delay it to next year, it will be completely shocking and unexpected.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Apparently CIG still haven't learned about companies picking on individuals.

I can't really imagine what's going through their minds with this poo poo.

quote:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/361482/a-man-arrested

I'm not sure I understand the point of an intentionally bad PR move and increase in liability.
It's fairly possible to prove that a common person versed in understanding of the controversy of this project would know that Derek is being targeted, no?

He's not a fictional character, nor is the description something I'd consider very parody-like.

Very very dumb move, lol.

Streetroller fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 15, 2016

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

It's not even a good anagram. Derek Smaart Derek SmaART DEREK SMAART.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Maw posted:

It's not even a good anagram. Derek Smaart Derek SmaART DEREK SMAART.

Derek's already covered this in a recent blog Twitter post.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809099349628227584

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Smaart is one a smarter. Close to beeing AAA-smart.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's Derek Smarta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
One step closer to the edge
The build is gonna break

Catte taxe