Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Troposphere posted:

I think I liked the temp derail better tbh

Yeah at least out of that detail we had that one retard who thought British people use Fahrenheit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
if you value your sanity and faith in humanity don't read the further posts from the adoption guy on reddit because goddamn what an astounding lack of any sort of empathy

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm just so curious what the incest half sibling sister said to her mom. How on earth do you go about phrasing 'Mom. I love this dude so much and we're getting married. Also turns our we're half siblings. u kewl w/ that?' How do you say those words and not immediately think everything about that is just wrong and should not happen?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the guy says he didn't realize he could have a kid and raise it right and the kid could still turn out "bad"...I...how??? how do you??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

if you value your sanity and faith in humanity don't read the further posts from the adoption guy on reddit because goddamn what an astounding lack of any sort of empathy

aspergers is a superpower

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Troposphere posted:

quote:

My wife does not have direct experience with therapy. She just views it as a weak science with poorly researched support.

quote:

Why would I put my daughter before my wife? I have only known my daughter for months; I have known my wife for years. It is reasonable that my wife would take priority.

quote:

Why should a child come first? Children leave their parents. This is the nature of development. Parents, assuming they have a happy and loving relationship that would not necessitate divorce, are lifetime companions.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 15, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Troposphere posted:

the guy says he didn't realize he could have a kid and raise it right and the kid could still turn out "bad"...I...how??? how do you??

Wait am I mixing stories up isn't she like four months old?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Troposphere posted:

quote:

> What did you think having a child was going to be like? Parenting, even at its best, is really hard.

My wife expected it to require less time and energy. I expected to have more control over the eventual outcome. We both realized rather late that parenting requires a lot of investment with no guarantee of the outcome.

BEEP BOOP THE INVESTMENT VALUE OF A CHILD IS DIFFICULT TO QUANTIFY AND RETURNS ARE NOT GUARANTEED, AVOID AVOID

quote:

Why should a child come first? Children leave their parents. This is the nature of development. Parents, assuming they have a happy and loving relationship that would not necessitate divorce, are lifetime companions.

BOOP BEEP SPOUSES ARE A BETTER LONG TERM VALUE THAN CHILDREN, OFFLOAD USELESS DEADWEIGHT ASAP BEEP BOOP

quote:

> And also are either of you on the spectrum? Your reactions are just... off.

Neither of us is on the spectrum.

:thumbsup:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
they're just, whooph, way off the spectrum. the loving radio waves of autism

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are what TV shows think autism is

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
like oh no poo poo you mean people can make their own choices and decide what kind of individual they will be no matter how they are raised? well drat I somehow never thought about that

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Pick posted:

they're just, whooph, way off the spectrum. the loving radio waves of autism

That or just straight-up sociopaths.

quote:

quote:

Giving the baby up would ultimately be in her best interest but the way you talk about her like a piece of furniture that isn't your style is... unsettling.
That seems to be the general consensus and, at the risk of sounding callous, not an inaccurate comparison. I love my daughter not unlike I love a favored item. I would be disappointed if that item were to be suddenly gone, just as I am disappointed my daughter is gone, but it is a loss from which I can recover.

"Hmm, my child is gone. How inconvenient."

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pick posted:

That's actually kind of tough

Yeah...one hand, I feel for the dude because she "changed her mind" after getting her deal. Wonder if it's another one of those "she wants to bang his friend without being called a cheater" situations and she never planned to let him have his threesome in the first place.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

This is why I'm thankful that some people at least realize they'd be poo poo parents and choose too be /childfree.

These people should have gotten on that crazy train instead of the one they're on now.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

idiot posted:

How the child will progress as a teen and adult. It turns out that one can do everything "right" and still end up with a delinquent, miscreant, or otherwise unsuccessful adult child.
my two month old might become a miscreant, better throw her away

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

That or just straight-up sociopaths.

He speaks like a Vulcan or something

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Vulcans lovingly raise their children though, as it logically leads to a better society.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I'm glad for that kid because she'll have people looking after her that actually love her, but it's still so lovely. She'll probably need some therapy herself. An ex-friend of mine had a baby despite being ~childfree~ since I knew her. About two years in she gave the baby up to a friend because she just 'wasn't feeling it'. I think the baby was cramping her meth lifestyle. Good for the kid, he was an awesome little dude, I hope he has a better life now. But goddamn. The knowledge that your mom didn't love you would have to gently caress you up no matter how good the outcome is.

quote:

Me [24F] with my BF [29M] wants me to lose weight

My boyfriend and I are at an impasse. We have been together four years. When we started dating, I was 5'11" and 165lb and he was so happy about my body. I have never had much muscle.

As time has gone on, I have lost about 15lb and now I'm 141lb. I feel really comfortable with my height and weight, and my BMI is 19.9. Unfortunately, Gabriel never misses a beat when I'm eating something fattening, like fries or wine or a burger. I prefer to eat what I want within my calorie goals, because I feel like I'm a healthy weight.

Gabriel, however, has mentioned his "perfect weight" for me as 130lb. Granted, I am able to diet down to that weight but I feel like it's so much pressure to hit that number. He doesn't want to kiss me or go on dates if he looks on my phone and I go over 1500 on MyFitnessPal. We haven't had sex in like...two months.

I would actually feel more comfortable losing like 5-10lb but I don't think my life should revolve around calories at this point. I also really want to keep my BF because he's a great person and I hate being single. I also trust his opinion. Maybe I would look best at the weight he has in his mind. I'm just so confused.

My favorite part of these is always the 'otherwise he's perfect' line that they all have. Also I'm the same height and at 130 my doctor told me gain weight. Her boyfriend is gross.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's way too loving skinny. My mother is 5'10" and 122 and it's too god damned skinny.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Feet and inches are stupid. Can you please adjust to normal numbers and use celcius tia.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

underage at the vape shop posted:

Feet and inches are stupid. Can you please adjust to normal numbers and use celcius tia.

8.96 links tall at 293 Kelvin

E: and she weighs just a tad bit over 10 stone.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 15, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
37 bottlesworth, roughly.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Grem posted:

This is why I'm thankful that some people at least realize they'd be poo poo parents and choose too be /childfree.

These people should have gotten on that crazy train instead of the one they're on now.

a few (rare) good eggs on childfree

quote:

Out of curiosity, do you and your wife typically approach obstacles with a lack of emotion? The language you use to describe your feelings and thoughts seemed awfully detached. For example, in one of your posts you said that she finds being subjected to yelling "annoying". You also seem unable to grasp why people are so affected by your story, you had a baby, didn't like parenting, and want to give the baby away. As if it was so simple and logical. You just articulate things in such a detached, matter of fact manner that I have to wonder whether you have trouble understanding emotions. Are either you or your wife on the spectrum? Have you ever been tested? Giving the baby up would ultimately be in her best interest but the way you talk about her like a piece of furniture that isn't your style is... unsettling.

quote:

I don't think this is autism. I think one or both of them have ASPD. The way OP talks about his daughter is jarring in its apathy. Kind of uncanny valley, it makes my hair stand up a little.

Obviously this is the right choice for them; I wouldn't want to grow up with parents who didn't love me. I think the daughter will be better for it. But still, saying you're fond of your daughter the way you are of a favorite item... completely alien to most parents.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 15, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

My child was hit by a bus, this is the most irritating thing that has happened to me since I dropped my favourite mug last week.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 15, 2016

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Hey it's my father's mother. He's now a confused old man that lives alone with his dog (he occasionally makes fumbling attempts to bond with me and my brother but clearly doesn't really understand how to), has a brother who killed himself (he was the only one on that side of my family that seemed like he had proper emotions) and a sister that I never met that moved far far away and never showed the slightest interest in the rest of the family until she died.

Kinda think adoption might be better for this kid.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

8.96 links tall at 293 Kelvin

E: and she weighs just a tad bit over 10 stone.

Jokes on you, British people actually weigh themselves in stone.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Jokes on you, British people actually weigh themselves in stone.

4.351 Slug

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Antivehicular posted:

At least the kid ended up with what appears to be the only adult who gives a poo poo about her.

EDIT: I also am always skeeved out by people who talk about not responding to crying newborns to "avoid reinforcing the crying behavior" or whatever. Yes, if it's a 4-year-old throwing a tantrum, ignore that poo poo, but a 3-month-old baby isn't goddamn manipulating you or understanding anything other than "I don't feel good," and babies need to have it reinforced that their caretakers will meet their needs when it's necessary. People who treat little kids as hyper-rational supermanipulators drive me up the wall in general, but it's especially gross with newborns, because what can you possibly think is going on there?

Also, for some reason, repeatedly referring to the baby as "Elizabeth" is cracking me up. I know it's a normal name, but it sounds so formal and starched, like they're severing from a bad roommate or superfluous professional contact. I guess they probably figure they are ridding themselves of an inconvenient roommate, come to think of it.

Not only does it hugely go against our evolutionary senses to respond, but if a newborn baby is left to cry when it's hungry or scared or poo poo itself etc, it's tiny little body just doesnt understand why someone isn't responding the the brains response is to flood the body with cortisol (the stress hormone). If that's a regular or even semi regular thing, that seriously affects the infants long term ability to bond and respond to distress. It seriously affects how an infants brain develops at a time when it is developing so quickly and so profoundly that it can cause serious developmental damage.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Skratte posted:

I'm glad for that kid because she'll have people looking after her that actually love her, but it's still so lovely. She'll probably need some therapy herself. An ex-friend of mine had a baby despite being ~childfree~ since I knew her. About two years in she gave the baby up to a friend because she just 'wasn't feeling it'. I think the baby was cramping her meth lifestyle. Good for the kid, he was an awesome little dude, I hope he has a better life now. But goddamn. The knowledge that your mom didn't love you would have to gently caress you up no matter how good the outcome is.

My favorite part of these is always the 'otherwise he's perfect' line that they all have. Also I'm the same height and at 130 my doctor told me gain weight. Her boyfriend is gross.

Holy poo poo break up with the mentalist who checks your MyFitnessPal diary to determine if he can be your boyfriend that day.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Not only does it hugely go against our evolutionary senses to respond, but if a newborn baby is left to cry when it's hungry or scared or poo poo itself etc, it's tiny little body just doesnt understand why someone isn't responding the the brains response is to flood the body with cortisol (the stress hormone). If that's a regular or even semi regular thing, that seriously affects the infants long term ability to bond and respond to distress. It seriously affects how an infants brain develops at a time when it is developing so quickly and so profoundly that it can cause serious developmental damage.

Maybe that's what happened to gently caress them up so bad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

Holy poo poo break up with the mentalist who checks your MyFitnessPal diary to determine if he can be your boyfriend that day.

I'd love to here the excised list of caveats around "perfect". I'm guessing it involves picking her clothes and some very serious opinions about her friends and co-workers.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ok, Autistic Dad is so perfectly "logical" that it has to be a troll.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

I liked this a lot. Thank you.

It rules. He did the whole thing in 24 hours for a contest of some kind and ad-libbed the plot as he was drawing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

quote:

My wife broke the news to my MIL of our decision to adopt just prior to Thanksgiving. She reacted poorly, which is to be expected, and with a great deal of yelling. This did not endear her to my wife, who finds yelling annoying

This is the best part of the story.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

loquacius posted:

this isn't actually that hard to understand

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2012/02/01/darkness/

I really liked this as well!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Would the baby have been planned I wonder? Those two don't sound like the type to have an accident, what with the profound autism

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Would the baby have been planned I wonder? Those two don't sound like the type to have an accident, what with the profound autism

He said in the original post that they had planned the baby all along. That is what is making this more horrifying to the family, they knew wanted this child originally then just said "Oh, this baby is profoundly annoying, beep boop must dispose of it immediately."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"No one told us this thing would make noises! Count us out!"

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I think it was probably 'Married people have babies. Will make baby per requirement.' Not 'ohh we're so excited to have a baby' Sort of planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I understand they both work full time, but I do wonder what the baby is getting in the way of. Lots of people have a family and hobbies. Like, was the crying interfering with the endless looping of sped-up music from Bubsy?