Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Mass Effect does get one thing right that a lot of sci-fi doesn't: Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discovery-casts-the-walking-deads-sonequa-ma-1790119455

Sasha from The Walking Dead is the lead in Discovery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait to see the racist backlash.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This site gives the character's name as "Rainsford."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She's pretty good. I think it was a good choice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She'll do fine, I do wonder if this means she's off of TWD by the end of this current season but who knows really.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Show will only get good once she grows a beard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tighclops posted:

Show will only get good once she grows a beard.

She could be the gay character.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Well I hope she will be more convincing/interesting than on TWD.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think it was revealed that Doug Jones is the gay character

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's us. We're the gay character.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want a character who starts as a straight woman, becomes gay, then becomes a straight man because their species is like frogs and frog-infused raptors.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I gave up on TWD when they got to the farm. Is she good in it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Evek posted:

I gave up on TWD when they got to the farm. Is she good in it?
She's fine but she has never had a lot of screen time

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

She could be the gay character.

Or the gay character's beard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everyone on TWD is probably trying to get off as that ship shinks. The ratings are tanking and more and more people are agreeing the show has run out of steam. After it airs, there's a lot of "Why didn't I watch Westworld instead?".

I like how in Star Trek it's impossible to have a private conversation unless you're completely alone in a room.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm about 80% through Fifty Year Mission and I have to wonder if at some point Roddenberry was replaced by some turbo-nerd at a convention because the quotes make him sound like he doesn't get storytelling at all.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

TheBigAristotle posted:

This reminds me of one of the more surprising but somehow not-surprising moments in that Star Trek 50 book.

During discussion about Enterprise, it was mentioned that after UPN was under new management, studio execs were trying to get boy bands to do guest spots on the show, maybe do a live performance. One writer's response was "Where?"

They could have compromised and had a different inexplicable choice of song play over the credits every episode!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

I like how in Star Trek it's impossible to have a private conversation unless you're completely alone in a room.

And even then, the computer is listening. :tinfoil:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

They could have compromised and had a different inexplicable choice of song play over the credits every episode!

The segment on that mess was interesting as well. Another attempt to appeal to a wider audience. Also the song was from Patch Adams originally, which I have heard before.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Angry Salami posted:

I really got the impression that Game of Thrones had given up on itself when they started playing contemporary songs over the credits. Another thing Westworld sent up about GoT, in fact.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I'm totally behind this. She's one of the few people on TWD who can actually act.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Time Travel Episode where they meet the cast of TNG

Abe bursts through the wall.

WHO'S DEANNA

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The new series should have an episode where they go back in time to the present day and it's an alternate reality but guess what it's OUR reality where their entire universe is our fiction and the crew has to pretend to be the actors playing themselves.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Subyng posted:

The new series should have an episode where they go back in time to the present day and it's an alternate reality but guess what it's OUR reality where their entire universe is our fiction and the crew has to pretend to be the actors playing themselves.

This is the only decent Galaxy Quest 2 pitch I've ever read.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Subyng posted:

This happened in an episode of Supernatural. It was cool.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm totally behind this. She's one of the few people on TWD who can actually act.

I only ever see TWD after working overnight so every episode is viewed through a semi-conscious fever dream, but my impression is that the actors are all pretty solid when given good material to work with otherwise they're just staring off into space being depressed or crying

Actually it reminds me of a more extreme BSG in that regard, although Bear McCreary has clearly given up on trying to do anything with this show's soundtrack; dude's been phoning it in since they were on that old man's farm

5-6 seasons seems to be the magic number with genre programming, any longer and every show becomes an exercise in "...is this still on?"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zurui posted:

I really got the impression that Game of Thrones had given up on itself when they started playing contemporary songs over the credits. Another thing Westworld sent up about GoT, in fact.

What are you talking about? The only songs they play over the credits are either normal soundtrack stuff, or a couple of times they got bands to play their versions of songs from the books. It's not like they brought in *insert boy band name here* as a special musical guest or some poo poo.

How does Westworld send this up? They use anachronistic songs but I fail to see what that has to do with Game of Thrones.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Subyng posted:

They actually did this in a short story back in the 70s, for a fan fiction omnibus. IIRC it was Kirk, McCoy, and Spock took the place of Shatner, Kelley, and Nimoy and appeared on the set in 1968 or something.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Astroman posted:

They actually did this in a short story back in the 70s, for a fan fiction omnibus. IIRC it was Kirk, McCoy, and Spock took the place of Shatner, Kelley, and Nimoy and appeared on the set in 1968 or something.

Visit to a Weird Planet

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Subyng posted:

Man in the High Castle (the book, not the show, which I haven't seen but I've heard is good) does this kind of. It's an alternate history story, but there's a book that everyone is reading within the story that itself is an alternate history. At first you assume their alternate history is ours, and then you find out that it's yet a third version of events. But just when you think you've turned that corner, the protagonist has a trippy experience (it is Philip K. Dick after all) where he sees our (PKD's) version of San Francisco outside of his window. He questions the realness of his reality, but what's to keep us from doing the same? The book within the book is no more or less fiction than anything around him... :psyduck:

What is real, mannnnnn? (I unironically love that book, but it's hard to describe it, or any PKD, without sounding like a stoned 20 year old).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The lowest of bars.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Railing Kill posted:

Man in the High Castle (the book, not the show, which I haven't seen but I've heard is good) does this kind of. It's an alternate history story, but there's a book that everyone is reading within the story that itself is an alternate history. At first you assume their alternate history is ours, and then you find out that it's yet a third version of events. But just when you think you've turned that corner, the protagonist has a trippy experience (it is Philip K. Dick after all) where he sees our (PKD's) version of San Francisco outside of his window. He questions the realness of his reality, but what's to keep us from doing the same? The book within the book is no more or less fiction than anything around him... :psyduck:

What is real, mannnnnn? (I unironically love that book, but it's hard to describe it, or any PKD, without sounding like a stoned 20 year old).

Well worth watching, and if you binge now you'll be all caught up for when season 2 hits on saturday.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Subyng posted:

This is really similar to the premise of Redshirts by John Scalzi. It's a fun read.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

OAquinas posted:

Well worth watching, and if you binge now you'll be all caught up for when season 2 hits on saturday.

I'm in the middle of grading finals, but this sounds like a rad idea to treat myself after all of this is over. I like what I've heard about it: that they didn't try to doggedly recreate the book, but instead took the setting and premise and did their own thing with it. I'd rather a different medium just take inspiration from a book rather than inevitably gently caress up a too-faithful reproduction. I don't need to watch the book on film. I have the book, and if the last 100 years are proof of anything it's that films/TV rarely live up to people's preconceived ideas from books anyway. I'll definitely check this out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Echophonic posted:

This is really similar to the premise of Redshirts by John Scalzi. It's a fun read.

Let's not oversell it. It's not great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Railing Kill posted:

I'm in the middle of grading finals, but this sounds like a rad idea to treat myself after all of this is over. I like what I've heard about it: that they didn't try to doggedly recreate the book, but instead took the setting and premise and did their own thing with it. I'd rather a different medium just take inspiration from a book rather than inevitably gently caress up a too-faithful reproduction. I don't need to watch the book on film. I have the book, and if the last 100 years are proof of anything it's that films/TV rarely live up to people's preconceived ideas from books anyway. I'll definitely check this out.

I haven't read the book but I'm guessing they replaced the book with films. The show is about people finding films that show an alternate history. Which honestly, makes more sense than a book.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The_Doctor posted:

Let's not oversell it. It's not great.

He only said it was a fun read, he wasn't proclaiming it the next I, Robot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Why would you recommend Scalzi to someone? Do you hate people that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why would you recommend Scalzi to someone? Do you hate people that much?

Oh, dear...