Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Ineffiable posted:

El shaddi is seriously kind of a trippy game. At one point a boss fight was me beating up mooks in the background while the boss was doing his singing solo in the foreground. Take up 50% of your screen.

Oh and there's a motorcycle scene in a futuristic city. In a game about the book of Enoch.

There is a reason for that. Almost the whole game takes place in a tower which is located in a pocket dimension, where the fallen angels had sped up the evolution of man to a point where such technology exists.

Also, that boss is a bit weird. No explanation for that one except he's a performer damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ineffiable posted:

El shaddi is seriously kind of a trippy game. At one point a boss fight was me beating up mooks in the background while the boss was doing his singing solo in the foreground. Take up 50% of your screen.

Oh and there's a motorcycle scene in a futuristic city. In a game about the book of Enoch.

I really, highly recommend playing or watching El Shaddai.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I would suggest watching, and maybe skip everything that isn't a boss fight. It's got kind of a cool aesthetic and a couple decent ideas but actually playing the thing was a phenomenally uninteresting slog.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a game that's only good if you play on hard and have to think about what you're doing instead of just mashing the attack button.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DeathChicken posted:

Finally getting around to playing Outlast: Whistleblower, and...I can't help but notice everyone trying to kill you in the base game has been replaced with everyone apparently trying to *rape* you. Which is mildly unsettling

The devs are Xtreme edgelords

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a game that's only good if you play on hard and have to think about what you're doing instead of just mashing the attack button.

This is almost always the right way to play, but El Shaddai still doesn't hit the good bar. Maybe if you're completely tapped out on better options in the genre but that would take a long time at this point.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I beat Soma, and it was really good but man did it start to drag a bunch in the middle and it felt like it actually would have been much better without most of the monsters. A lot of them still feel straight up nonsensical and out of place and take away from the game. Their existence made me think the game was going a place it didnt, and the place it went doesnt really justify them. Also the ending of that plotline felt super weird.

Still, good game overall.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

It didn't bother me too much because the rest of the game was so good, but the B-plot of SOMA was definitely the weakest part for me. By the halfway point my theory was that the WAU had decided that the Ark project would be better used to ease the suffering of the remaining humans on PATHOS-II, so it repurposed its structure gel to network everyone together into its own virtual world. But like we saw in Catherine's lab, its own version was flawed and left people crazed and aggressive from structure gel poisoning. So I thought the WAU built Simon-bot itself to recover the Ark so it could plug the survivors into a working simulation (and was helping him through those nodes you shove your arm in), and the monsters were trying to kill him because they were programmed to add anyone they could find to the WAU's flawed network (like what happens in the bottom of Theta). I was expecting a choice at Alpha to either give the Ark to the WAU to let the last "real" humans live out the rest of their days in simulated peace, or shoot it into space to let their copies live on forever.

Instead, it turns out that I was half-right, that the WAU was trying to save humanity by brain-scanning people and cramming them into whatever it could find, or just keeping their husks on life support for a technical win. Which is okay, I guess, but doesn't really address why its constructs are so aggressive or give any sort of purpose to Simon being constructed. It also makes the choice to kill the WAU pretty weak because its reasoning and the nature of its creations remain muddy. Oh, and then there's Ross who is a pretty dumb character and wouldn't be necessary if they had gone into more detail with the WAU's motivations. It fits with the tone of the game but it's one place that I feel like could have been expanded on a lot more.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Too Shy Guy posted:

Instead, it turns out that I was half-right, that the WAU was trying to save humanity by brain-scanning people and cramming them into whatever it could find, or just keeping their husks on life support for a technical win. Which is okay, I guess, but doesn't really address why its constructs are so aggressive or give any sort of purpose to Simon being constructed. It also makes the choice to kill the WAU pretty weak because its reasoning and the nature of its creations remain muddy. Oh, and then there's Ross who is a pretty dumb character and wouldn't be necessary if they had gone into more detail with the WAU's motivations. It fits with the tone of the game but it's one place that I feel like could have been expanded on a lot more.

I thought that WAU had finally succeeded in making a "real" automaton person (Simon) and the various messed up monsters/enemies were it's failed attempts, which adds to the whole complexity of the "should I kill it" moral choice. Doesn't explain why the enemies are all aggressive but it's something.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

DeathChicken posted:

Finally getting around to playing Outlast: Whistleblower, and...I can't help but notice everyone trying to kill you in the base game has been replaced with everyone apparently trying to *rape* you. Which is mildly unsettling

It's a really specific whistle they want you to blow.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DeathChicken posted:

Mission accomplished, it seems.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 15, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Too Shy Guy posted:

I think that the enemies were so aggressive because robots tend to react really poorly to thinking they're human and finding out that they're not. Simon and Catherine were two of the very few who found out the truth of their existence and kept it together instead of going homicidal.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Apparently WAU killed everyone at Omicron because Ross planned on genociding the last of humanity to take out the WAU and it got desperate? In fact, pretty much everything bad that happened seems to be more a result of the WAU trying to preserve itself and it's attempts to preserve humanity than anything else. People were really fuckin' committed to dying.

That's probably why it brought you out, thinking "hey maybe I can pull someone from sometime in history that has a vested interest in NOT destroying the remnants of humanity?"

WAU seems like it was doing the best it could in a bad situation here, by effectively putting everyone on life support in their own little worlds in the hopes they will not kill themselves off while it finishes its experiments.

Also I don't get why the monsters can teleport.

Also, at the end, you say you're alone, but... I didn't kill myself earlier! So in my imagination I like to think I finally pulled it together and went back up the climber to chill with myself, and also a bunch more of me's and Catherines created by the WAU because we are officially the least suicidal people on this drat station

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Apparently WAU killed everyone at Omicron because Ross planned on genociding the last of humanity to take out the WAU and it got desperate? In fact, pretty much everything bad that happened seems to be more a result of the WAU trying to preserve itself and it's attempts to preserve humanity than anything else. People were really fuckin' committed to dying.

That's probably why it brought you out, thinking "hey maybe I can pull someone from sometime in history that has a vested interest in NOT destroying the remnants of humanity?"

WAU seems like it was doing the best it could in a bad situation here, by effectively putting everyone on life support in their own little worlds in the hopes they will not kill themselves off while it finishes its experiments.

Also, at the end, you say you're alone, but... I didn't kill myself earlier! So in my imagination I like to think I finally pulled it together and went back up the climber to chill with myself, and also a bunch more of me's and Catherines created by the WAU because we are officially the least suicidal people on this drat station

Neither Simon can actually operate any doors or the climber without the tool thing that broke at the end so they're both probably stuck

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Neither Simon can actually operate any doors or the climber without the tool thing that broke at the end so they're both probably stuck

Things remaining permanently broken seems unlikely so long as WAU is around, so if you didn't kill it I imagine both of them would be able to get out sooner or later. Hopefully sooner? There's also another Omnitool in the room Simon-2 will wake up in. If it weren't for that I would have been more worried about leaving him alive.

Why did the tool break at the end anyway? DID the tool break? It seemed more like the facility itself shut down. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Also need to figure out what happened to the crazy guy that filled himself with structure gel. Akers.

Edit: Oh, one of the generic hallway monsters was actually him I guess? I didn't realize. Seems like a complicated story just to turn him into a generic wandering monster in a facility that already contained other generic wandering monsters... Nor does it make much sense that the WAU seemed to be actively assisting him with his weird murder-plans.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 15, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dead by Daylight is the worst game design I've seen in a long time, what a great concept too. It's White Noise 2 fun?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

GlyphGryph posted:

They emit EMP waves that cause Simon to have short blackouts, giving the illusion of teleporting. That's also why his vision glitches out when they're close.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

SkeletonHero posted:

They emit EMP waves that cause Simon to have short blackouts, giving the illusion of teleporting. That's also why his vision glitches out when they're close.

That's what I thought at first, but when they are constantly switching to whatever end of the hall you're trying to escape through that explanation doesn't really cut it any more

Also the EMP thing is super dumb and doesn't make any sense anyway since you're a WAU creation just like them so how the hell do they manage to do ANYTHING if they're constantly emitting all that EMP and EMP is dangerous to WAU creations

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's just a game, you should really just relax

Teleporting beasties are creepy, I don't think they put much thought into it past that

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Harshly Critical just played a free horror game called Black Rose. While it was very low budget and had some issues, it was actually pretty decent and at times genuinely creepy. People might want to give it a shot.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

DeathChicken posted:

My mental Outlast subtitle is "hey men, let's see how YOU like being the primary target for sexualized violence as a horror trope for once!!!"

Mindblast posted:

Agony appears technically impressive but that's about it. It's grotesque with an over the top presentation without there appearing to be a point to it (other than "because it's hell lol"). At some point you literally see a stone wall made with live babies used as the mortar. No really. Besides that there is such a high amount of clutter you can barely walk decently in some places, get stuck sometimes plus it's hard to discern the clutter from interactive items and notes.

If what we've seen so far is a decent representative of the whole I think I'm skipping this one. It's just messy in way too many ways and it feels like they hardly have anything resembling a design document, regardless of how true or false that may be.

This is a fair assessment of Agony and I want to add to the "messy" assessment there's an opening voiceover of sullen male protagonist going on about finding """HER""" as the answer to all his agony (I think he literally uses the word/title). God forbid we have an amnesiac protagonist that isn't even given gender, which could work well with a mechanic where your soul keeps possessing different characters to solve puzzles and accomplish goals, nope! :rolleyes:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Songbearer posted:

This, except for every game ever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Teleporting beasties are creepy, I don't think they put much thought into it past that

I am relaxed. It's hyst a game that asks you to think about stuff, and so think about stuff I do. It's not DOOM, it's a game about consequences, meaning, and putting the pieces together.

Also personally speaking teleporting monsters don't feel creepy, just dumb. So maybe that's all it is - an attempt to play on a fear I don't have. :shrug:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is there a Hello Neighbor walkthrough/LP that isn't a bunch of clickbait and people fake screaming for views?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

RealFoxy posted:

Is there a Hello Neighbor walkthrough/LP that isn't a bunch of clickbait and people fake screaming for views?

As always: Harshly Critical has what you need.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqfNLQec1ZRlx1bmNlnoPD0Z6ovSywmqW

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Songbearer posted:

It is phenomenally unlikely that there's anything that central in it they didn't put much thought into. It's not that kind of game and Frictional isn't that kind of studio.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'd like it a lot if more games (and movies, and horror media in general) thought about the rules for their monsters and why the do the things they do. Like, seeing a critter walk past an open door or pop up in your face is spooky and all but it seems kinda dumb that they don't just murder you in those moments if that's what they're out for. SOMA is pretty good about having monsters with logical rules, except the wrecked ship monster popping up in your face on the seafloor trek. I still have no idea why that happens when it just tries to kill you later, unless it's some kinda electromagnetic resonance technobabble handwave.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't remember that specific scare but I figured Ross coming and going was due to him hacking your vision or something, because you see him somehow influencing computers all over the place and hey you're one of those.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

lets hang out posted:

I don't remember that specific scare but I figured Ross coming and going was due to him hacking your vision or something, because you see him somehow influencing computers all over the place and hey you're one of those.

I'm actually not complaining about Ross where it makes a bit more sense, because he doesn't teleport, it's very obvious that he is just capable of making himself invisible to your sensors, which is very different from the teleporting monosters, it was specifically the Wrecked Ship monsters that started pinging my bullshit detectors and really knocking me out of the moment. For the longest time after that I was utterly convinced that the entire game was already in a simulation like the ARK, and that was the real reason for the "interference" and the "monsters" that could "teleport" - that they were actually all just glitches in the system

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHTPsRnA-dA

That seemed like a neat game but drat I'm still trying to figure out what the story was actually supposed to be.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Resident Evil 7 demo is up on Steam.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nice. Guess it's time to benchmark a little!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Please tell me it's VR-enabled.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

s.i.r.e. posted:

And it's not the same as the ps4 one with the film crew, right?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

And it's not the same as the ps4 one with the film crew, right?

Of course it is the same one. :v:

e: well there might be a new section... exit the starting room with the tv and turn 90 degrees to the right. This door looks different than the ones in the video's I see on YT with the console demo. And it certainly opens in the pc version...

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 19, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mindblast posted:

Of course it is the same one. :v:

Didn't they add more to it where you have seperate endings now though? or is that yet another demo of RE7?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Didn't they add more to it where you have seperate endings now though? or is that yet another demo of RE7?

Been looking around and as it turns out, the console demo got little updates apparantly? Expanding bit by bit. We probably have the latest version.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Please tell me it's VR-enabled.

vr horror is actually so terrifying they need to find a way to vet out people with heart conditions

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kilano posted:

vr horror is actually so terrifying they need to find a way to vet out people with heart conditions

Its pretty entertaining watching HarshlyCritical play a VR game and admitting that its a mediocre game while leaping out of his goddamn skin at every jump scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The playstation demo works for vr at least but i dont have a playstation so i really hope the pc demo has vr support i want it so bad