Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Definitely gonna disagree there - I read it more as the movie going out of its way to present some of the tropes from the original movie, and then going out of its way to subvert them. It's a team of people... but none of them know or trust each other. They're in a jungle... but it's not a jungle any of them are familiar with, or can exploit to their advantage. The silent warrior does a mano-a-mano last stand with a Predator... and ends up killing it. The huge gruff guy with the minigun... is revealed to be a family man and the friendliest person in the group. Adrien Brody tries the "hide in the mud" trick... and it totally doesn't work. The Super-Predators use hunting tactics... but they're all completely different from the tactics used in 'Predator', while simultaneously being intuitive and easy to understand.
'Predators' was a hoot and I really enjoyed it.

We've had this discussion before, probably in this very thread. I still maintain that 'doing things worse' is a poor way to subvert it.

I think the most unforgivable thing is that it doesn't have a single memorable kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Don't say "tropes" please

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Some new spoilers for Alien: Covenant:

quote:

The tl;dr of the movie is that David creates the classic xenomorph by merging android "DNA" with the proto-xenomorph you see in the poster. This is what gives them their intelligence. We also find out a few new tricks that the xenos can do, which explains how they get around the ships so easily in the other films. Not going to spoil it, but the bio-mechanical appearance isn't just appearance any more. I think this one will divide Alien fans but I mostly liked it.

A basic form of the xenomorph already exists in the movie and takes up the bulk of it. This isn't the deacon from Prometheus but basically a pre-classic-xenomorph which is more natural and animal than the one from the old movies. David uses the catalyst oil to transform it into a life form that's sort of between organic and synthetic. It's why Ash is so fascinated with it in the first Alien film and regards it as perfect.

Yeah, two different androids. There's a sort of cat-and-mouse game where David is constantly being watched by Walter, who doesn't trust David at all. Walter attempts to "upgrade" David, and there's a twist where you find out that David has overcome his programming and become sentient, so it doesn't work, and he fucks over Walter. Superb performances by Fassbender again.

This goes alongside these previous leaks:

quote:

Earlier this week, actor Michael Fassbender (who plays David again in Covenant) conducted an interview with BBC Radio 2, where he let the name slip of the new Aliens in Alien: Covenant - Neomorphs. These Neomorphs are a completely different breed of Alien - unlike anything we've ever seen before. These Aliens are a result of the Black Goo running rampant on this one particular planet. Over time, spore-filled pods developed on the ground and trees of the planet's surface and when disturbed - release these spores into the air. The spores enter the body through the respiratory passages and that's exactly what happens to a few of the members of the USCSS Covenant. Once the spores are inside the body - they begin to grow a horrible parasite. The Neomorph eventually bursts through the back, not the chest, when it is mature enough.

Ironically, the description of these Neomorphs match up with an early report we exclusively shared back in November, 2015 where we leaked some descriptions of Alien: Covenant concept artwork. The design is based upon early concepts from Jon Spaiht's Alien: Engineers script. To re-cap, here is a quote from out original piece back in November, 2015:

"The movie will have 2 Monsters, one is new and both are different yet similar to the Xeno DNA. The NEW Monster is a New Event, so it’s nothing created before the Events of the end of the First movie.... it's created by an event in the movie... and this New Monster is going to be based off of the Original Concept that Alien drew influence from, and this idea is something they had planned with Spaights’ Ultramorph and so Gigers Necomonicon 4 is the starting point. This Monster will be transparent like a Jelly Fish to a degree.... and it’s hinted that David plays a part in its creation."

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Showing a transparent Alien would be a nice throwback to the original and seems much more feasible to pull off in 2016 than 1979. For the story details, it's hard to make much of some high-level story recaps that may or may not be true so I'll just wait to see the movie.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oooh, ooh! It comes out the BACK instead of teh FRONT!! This apparently passes for creativity?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think I mentioned this before, but there's an Alien/Predator/Prometheus comic that kind of mirrors the path that leak sets up:

Dying scientist injects his friendly botfriend with Black Goo because he thinks the synthoid will "filter" the mutagenic elements. Ends up making a cyber-organic sentient, angry bioroid that progresses into some hellish man/xeno monstrosity with a huge hate-on for the guy that infected him

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FilthyImp posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but there's an Alien/Predator/Prometheus comic that kind of mirrors the path that leak sets up:

Dying scientist injects his friendly botfriend with Black Goo because he thinks the synthoid will "filter" the mutagenic elements. Ends up making a cyber-organic sentient, angry bioroid that progresses into some hellish man/xeno monstrosity with a huge hate-on for the guy that infected him
Not gonna lie, I made the same connection as I was reading those spoilers. If the crib from that a little bit, at the very least we'll get some hosed up and interesting imagery.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Oooh, ooh! It comes out the BACK instead of teh FRONT!! This apparently passes for creativity?

The black goo from Prometheus passes for creativity, but it confused all the poor Alien fans so Scott has to keep it simple for them this time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
With Scott's sense of humor, ideally that's not just how the new creature rolls but rather a super painful sequence of it failing to crack the person's rib cage open at first or something.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Apparently one of them bursts through someone's throat as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So why is the alien is alien bio-mechnical then? Those eggs were ancient.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Is that Bill Nye in drag?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Don't say "tropes" please

It's a good and useful word and deserves to be reappropriated from the Flanderized Badass Lampshade people

Regarding those Covenant spoilers: eeehhhhhh. Prometheus, for all its flaws, mostly managed to avoid the prequel pitfall of tying together unrelated elements of the originals in silly and awkward ways (Darth Vader building C3PO). If androids and aliens are related then Covenant might be doing a half-gainer right into it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

So why is the alien is alien bio-mechnical then? Those eggs were ancient.
Alien 6: Time Travel

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

So I assume David tricks Walter into a Freaky Friday style brain swap then uses his old head (with Walter inside it) with goop from the Neonates or the spores or w/e to make the first 'true' xenomorph while pretending to be Walter?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So what happened to Shaw?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

So what happened to Shaw?

She died.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

wuffles posted:

So I assume David tricks Walter into a Freaky Friday style brain swap then uses his old head (with Walter inside it) with goop from the Neonates or the spores or w/e to make the first 'true' xenomorph while pretending to be Walter?

I would prefer
A really disquieting scene of Davehead pretending to get a HAL9000 lobotomy, with him turning it around on Walt and stripping him, bit by bit, of his independence, motor control, and ability to think, culminating in a dollhusk that gets eggmorphed.

Basically something really inhumane and twisted in the name of "Well I can do this so why not".

The biblical concept of Covenant has a paternalistic feeling to me, begging compliance and offering rewards in an unbalanced power structure kind of way. I'm wondering how much of that plays into David's hubris in creating, and how much it'll be a Frankenstein moment where he rejects a flawed creation, and how Shaw may grow to reject David's growing separation for his design/implied humanity.

VvV
If Shaw gets Alien'd by David in a cruel twist I'd be on board with that

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 15, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

On the way back to her home planet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe this movie will fare better with fans now that the Space Jockey question is out of the way. That seemed to really stick in a lot of people's craw, that the Space Jockey was just some really big dude.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought synths were basically "immune" to aliens and aliens showed no interest in them since they aren't biological. I guess black goo can do whatever it wants.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I thought synths were basically "immune" to aliens and aliens showed no interest in them since they aren't biological. I guess black goo can do whatever it wants.

David touches it in Prometheus and nothing happens so :shrug:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
splicing android DNA with the xenos to create the aliens? hahahahahahahahahaahaha jfc

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HannibalBarca posted:

splicing android DNA with the xenos to create the aliens? hahahahahahahahahaahaha jfc
The movies don't say anything about how the androids work. They could be grown like Blade Runner replicants for all we know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HannibalBarca posted:

yeah...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This new alien movie might be visually stunning and scary and "good" in every respect but holy gently caress is the plot pants on head stupid.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Not reading any of the spoilers but that makes it sound really promising.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Baronjutter posted:

This new alien movie might be visually stunning and scary and "good" in every respect but holy gently caress is the plot pants on head stupid.

Yeah but the idea of David rejecting human kind and using the stuff of life to create something new, with it horribly backfiring and turning into a mess is pretty consistent with stuff going on in Prometheus. Kind of wish they had kept that 70s-80s style of PART II for this one, since it might help make the first movie better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Baronjutter posted:

I thought synths were basically "immune" to aliens and aliens showed no interest in them since they aren't biological.

I don't mean to cut the legs out from under you here but...

Also there seems to be a misconception about how synths work in the movies. They're artificial people but they're still more "grown" than "built." What you're seeing when Ash/etc. get owned throughout the franchise is literally a unique physiology and set of organs grown to work with some electronic stuff also. The synths are literally biomechanical beings. Scott actually says all this directly on the Alien 1 commentary. The words robot/android/etc. are used in their oldest context to mean a being created to do stuff for us rather than a thing made out of circuit boards and metal.

EDIT:

Now that I actually write this out, some of those other spoilers people have posted make almost TOO MUCH sense.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 16, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I'm not saying it is a good idea - it could work, but I have a feeling it won't - but the idea of biomechanical androids fusing with Aliens does kind of fit in to the Alien world, make of it what you will.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Neomorph, welcome to the next generation.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

So is Covenant the movie that's supposed to tie directly back to Alien? If that's the case, I guess they're gonna have to set up the Space Jockey/Derelict/Distress Beacon scenario at some point in Covenant so the Nostromo can come across it in the future?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

wuffles posted:

So is Covenant the movie that's supposed to tie directly back to Alien? If that's the case, I guess they're gonna have to set up the Space Jockey/Derelict/Distress Beacon scenario at some point in Covenant so the Nostromo can come across it in the future?

I'm hoping there won't ever be a scene where we literally see the derelict from Alien land on LV-426, but I guess that's what the fans want so we probably will get just that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm hoping there won't ever be a scene where we literally see the derelict from Alien land on LV-426, but I guess that's what the fans want so we probably will get just that.
Fans ruin everything.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'll step up to bat and say that the fans I've seen on message boards (myself included) don't want fan-service callbacks or convenient future movie setups.

Seriously, "fans" get a (deservedly) bad wrap for missing the point of the things they allegedly love, but Alien fans can be better than most. It helps that the Alien series hadn't had nearly the pop culture saturation and sheer volume of media released every year like, say, Star Wars; fans have had to subsist on less for a longer period of time, and it's helped even further that FOX doesn't facilitate "nerd culture" and bullshit minutiae overanalysis like Lucasfilm does with Star Wars.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It would be hilarious if it ends like The Thing (2011) or Rogue One with the intro to Alien replayed from the perspective of the space jockey dying right beforehand or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just hope it doesn't poo poo on or retcon any of the things that I liked in alien, like the derelict and eggs being really loving old and the space jockey not being a large human in a suit.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Electromax posted:

It would be hilarious if it ends like The Thing (2011) or Rogue One with the intro to Alien replayed from the perspective of the space jockey dying right beforehand or something.

The hell, dude, spoiler that crap.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

I just hope it doesn't poo poo on or retcon any of the things that I liked in alien, like the derelict and eggs being really loving old and the space jockey not being a large human in a suit.
Good news! Even if it does, you can ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THE BAR posted:

The hell, dude, spoiler that crap.

Now you know the space jockey is in Rogue one!!!