Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

dijon du jour posted:

In thread-related content: Justin and Griffin rank their favorite games of 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XTMhMS4G4g
Or put this sucker into your podcast appliance: http://feeds.feedburner.com/thebestiespodcast

This is the annual podcast that I actually give a poo poo about. Besties has come to be a sacred December gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
What subject are they covering this year? Fashion, sports?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6jheM3CJ9A

The End is here.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

WAKE ME UP INSIDE

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that last scene was so necessary

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont think it was worth it

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Would it be weird to send Tey a wind screen for her mic because Jesus, those plosives be poppin

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 15, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zeeman posted:

WAKE ME UP INSIDE
sooo good

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The tweet is deleted now, can ya give me an idea of what he said and why some peeps didn't like it? I see mention of some word used unadvisably or something
I assumed it's another white guy telling people to be patient and calm and listen to the other side while literal out and proud Nazis are normalized around the world, but I love Trav and know he means well so it was prolly something harmless

Kenny Logins posted:

IDK but there is an extremely good chance he talks about it on the next ep of Interrobang. Possibly Trends Like These.
Just to come back to this (without wanting to rehash out the drama), if anyone was interested on Travis's take he did end up talking about this incident on the Dec. 8 ep of Interrobang, starts at ~10:15 and goes to ~34:30. He does a pretty thorough job of explaining what happened and what he was thinking.

In case there were some middlest brother fans who were concerned about him, or something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Can it be summed up by "Travis worries too much" ?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Drunkboxer posted:

Can it be summed up by "Travis worries too much" ?
That, largely, and that he lets Twitter get to him, and he is not always sufficiently precise with his language, particularly on Twitter.

The lynchpin is that he said "be patient" generally to someone who was upset instead of "be patient with me because I'm slow on this kind of thing". He apologized privately to that person, who accepted it privately, then that person turned around and publicly said they felt it was a non-apology and that really upset him.

If he had written a single blog post with disabled comments instead of trying to wrangle a dozen+ reply Twitter thread he probably wouldn't have had this blow up in his face and wreck his week. Particularly at a time where he's all hosed up on being a new dad.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

He apologized privately to that person, who accepted it privately, then that person turned around and publicly said they felt it was a non-apology

That person sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

thexerox123 posted:

I think it shows they were more interested in keeping the grudge going for attention than any actual solution

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

It does; it's also just Travis's side of things.

Even assuming the best of the other person, after all that back-and-forth you'd think they would just bring it up again with him and try to hash it out one last time, rather than give up, and publically throw their hands up about how A McElroy Just Doesn't Get It.

The big take-away here for me is: it's kind of sad that Travis is having such a hard time moving from minor internet celebrity status, to the next step, where 1) you can't treat all people who correspond with you as fans/friends to be given full access and 2) you come to peace with the fact that you can never make everyone happy no matter how hard you try.

I think Griffin and Justin have already done so for the most part, because they work as Games Journalists and have already had their baptism by fire.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Kenny Logins posted:

Just to come back to this (without wanting to rehash out the drama), if anyone was interested on Travis's take he did end up talking about this incident on the Dec. 8 ep of Interrobang, starts at ~10:15 and goes to ~34:30. He does a pretty thorough job of explaining what happened and what he was thinking.

In case there were some middlest brother fans who were concerned about him, or something.

Almost 25 minutes of the entire podcast on him being upset about something from Twitter really grated on me.

It seems like most of his input/stories/chat revolves around Twitter on that podcast these days and it just infuriates me. I think I'm going to have to skip listening for a bit and come back to it.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Why do they even bother reading their twitter replies when its just crazy people insulting them over every minuscule slight

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
because that's not what 90% of them are?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The next episode (not today's) of Adventure Zone is going to be a flop house switcharoo

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The next episode (not today's) of Adventure Zone is going to be a flop house switcharoo

Huh, are they doing it network-wide again? Apparently the last one was on the whole a failure.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Weird, in mailbag two episodes ago Elliott said that probably wouldn't be doing those again because people didn't like it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hell yeah

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Huh, are they doing it network-wide again? Apparently the last one was on the whole a failure.

I have no idea

the guy they brought on for the live show did a good job and all but considering the show only comes out once every two weeks literally goddamn no one could be excited about a guest-only episode

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Aw yeah, animated vid of IMO the most amazing bit on the Adventure Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1A0pHzXUYw

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

I have no idea

the guy they brought on for the live show did a good job and all but considering the show only comes out once every two weeks literally goddamn no one could be excited about a guest-only episode

I think it is safe to assume that since two of them just had kids, this is their buddies covering for them while they work out their new schedules. I don't like the flophouse switches either but c'mon, give them a break, just treat it like they're having some well-earned downtime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Aw yeah, animated vid of IMO the most amazing bit on the Adventure Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1A0pHzXUYw

This artist is so loving thirsty for Justin McElroy's Ed Wynn-voice elf

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm really mad that the three brothers (two of whom just had children) and their father who put out a good and free podcast every couple of weeks aren't going to record an episode literally over Christmas.

And then they have the gall to get their buddies on the network to cover the slot instead of just taking a by week.

The fukken nerve of some people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Greatbacon posted:

I'm really mad that the three brothers (two of whom just had children) and their father who put out a good and free podcast every couple of weeks aren't going to record an episode literally over Christmas.

And then they have the gall to get their buddies on the network to cover the slot instead of just taking a by week.

The fukken nerve of some people.

ONE OF THEM HAS A VOICE I DON'T LIKE!!!!!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I think the biggest complaint of the switcheroo, though I was mostly fine with it, is that they jumped straight to teenage dick jokes. I think they were totally doing it in a meta self-aware way, but people who don't know who they are don't have a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt and they just seem like a bunch of dweebs. It is empirically worse than standard Adventure Zone but better than nothing, which is what we would have gotten.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I think you'll find that I subscribe to them on iTunes and gave them a good review once so we have an implied contract that they are breaking right now in a very hurtful way.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Does he? Let's spend the next few pages discussing this.

Anyway, The Suffering Game is certainly becoming complicated. A lot of "who do we trust?" situations. I think that those two "nasty halflings" were definitely fake, a ploy to get the Tres Horny Boys to forsake the other trio in the next room as they pick trust out of guilt for the previous room.

However, I'm also suspicious of Cam. Even if he is telling the truth, just how the hell did he learn so much about this place? How does he know there's no prize at the end? He certainly never got to find out. Could just be another ploy to make them feel more angst and anguish.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I think the biggest complaint of the switcheroo, though I was mostly fine with it, is that they jumped straight to teenage dick jokes. I think they were totally doing it in a meta self-aware way, but people who don't know who they are don't have a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt and they just seem like a bunch of dweebs. It is empirically worse than standard Adventure Zone but better than nothing, which is what we would have gotten.
I agree with this. And part of the problem there was Zhubin (the Silverview guy), who isn't a Flop House host. He's been a guest on the show before and he was fine, but I think he's a bit bro-ier than the rest of them and it didn't help with the tone.

As I recall, Stuart actually wrote a mea culpa for the gently caress-centric focus of that episode on the Flop House Facebook page. So I'm hoping this one will be better.

Improbable Lobster posted:

This artist is so loving thirsty for Justin McElroy's Ed Wynn-voice elf
Who isn't

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 15, 2016

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I just want to find out what is going on in more holes

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also two of them just aren't that funny and the last time they did this it was kind of painful to listen to!

But no you're right, the people whose complaint could be summed up as "Man it's kind of a bummer that we're not getting a regular episode in two weeks." are all just crazy babies screaming at the top of their lungs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I'd rather have nothing

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The live episodes and guest episodes are better than nothing, but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as the main story line. The last live show in particular was kind of mean-spirited in an unfunny way, Stuart actually stole the show for me. Whatever though, it's been a crazy month or two for them and it's free entertainment anyway.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mean-spirited? How do you mean?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Friends At The Table x TAZ crossover when

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I actually liked the first Flophouse episode. I feel like all the dick and butt jokes were because they're new to D&D and didn't know what to do with their characters yet. It reminds me a bit of the early Taako taco thing, but with dicks instead.
Wasn't it a Flophouse guy who was the fourth man in the live session?

I'm not really feeling The Suffering Game yet, and I hope the intermission episode and the bell ringing will stop it from becoming another drag like Crystal Kingdom.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
The Boston Live Stunt Spectacular was better than some of the weaker arcs (Gerblins, Crystal Kingdom) of the main story. Come at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Tempura Wizard posted:

The Boston Live Stunt Spectacular was better than some of the weaker arcs (Gerblins, Crystal Kingdom) of the main story. Come at me.

yeah, as like a single episode it works pretty well. it makes sense that a one-shot goofy wrestling story is more immediately compelling. i don't think it makes sense to compare a whole arc to a single episode.