Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The thing is, though, that "whiteness" isn't really a designation of race, it's a designation of power, and who has it. I'm not white. I can pass as white though, and I've had to because otherwise things in life would be closed off to me, often for good. I can't really openly practice my culture because of this. Many of the things that pass for normal in white society are completely denied to me.

A good example is the whole genealogy trend. I will never, ever be able to make a family tree, because the documentation that is required to even start doesn't exist. The only thing I have to go on is an oral history, which isn't going to be around forever. Most of my ancestors, due to their culture and their status outside of white society, might as well have not existed. I will never get to learn about their lives, their achievements etc.

The white club also changes its boundaries quite a lot. See: Irish, Slavs etc.

They were not treated as white until they got political capital and then hey presto the door was open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

foobardog posted:

To me personally, and the hardest thing to talk to most white people about is that yes, whiteness as a perhaps a concept is exactly terrible as gfsincere says.

There are obviously people with "white" skin who are not assholes or terrible people. But the basic idea of whiteness as normality or superiority is. It's strongly based in ideas that you can really trace back to the colonial nature of our country. Whiteness is an expectation of deference towards white people. It's tied in the idea it's more important to make white people feel safe than actually integrate and treat non-whites as humans in their own right.

And it is very much like the Not All Men thing. Obviously not all, but far too many, and far too many who are excused for their behavior.

This understanding of whiteness means very well there can be black people carrying water for it. He's right about that too, pick pretty much any black Republican. But my complaint is more that he seems to think that there exist these black people in white neighborhoods who some how managed to escape it. Maybe for a little bit, maybe as a child, but never always.

The fact it is so hard to talk about it is part of the sick abuse being perpetrated on black minds and bodies.

E: It's in the gaslighting telling you it's all in the distant past, when it happened to your father directly. It's in the thinly veiled ways it tries to hide as not being about race, but class or crimes committed. It's in the colorblind argument equivocating black people pointing out the bullshit with white supremacy. It's in the way the fear of cops is more important than the anger of black families losing their children.

I think there's a breakdown in "whiteness" as a political concept (unfair centralization of power, the moneyed ensuring that their's stays their's) and the version that is popping up here that is very racially deterministic. I just think rhetoric like gfsincere's makes unnecessary enemies of those who would agitate with you in this way in favor of a superman who determines who should live and who should drown based on skin color.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So do you think, in order to stave off irrelevance, latinx's will be folded into the White Club?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Rush Limbo posted:

The thing is, though, that "whiteness" isn't really a designation of race, it's a designation of power, and who has it. I'm not white. I can pass as white though, and I've had to because otherwise things in life would be closed off to me, often for good. I can't really openly practice my culture because of this. Many of the things that pass for normal in white society are completely denied to me.

A good example is the whole genealogy trend. I will never, ever be able to make a family tree, because the documentation that is required to even start doesn't exist. The only thing I have to go on is an oral history, which isn't going to be around forever. Most of my ancestors, due to their culture and their status outside of white society, might as well have not existed. I will never get to learn about their lives, their achievements etc.

The white club also changes its boundaries quite a lot. See: Irish, Slavs etc.

They were not treated as white until they got political capital and then hey presto the door was open.

But ultimately, I don't think there's a way to disconnect calling the idea of unfair political supremacy "whiteness" from the physical person. I think if you want to effectively agitate against that kind of supremacy, you'd call it by a term that doesn't invoke their unchosen physicality, correct?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Squashing Machine posted:

Let's talk about the phrase, as gfsincere puts it, "white people are in fact that terrible." If that is a seriously acceptable way of talking about people, then we're really hosed.

:gb2gbs:

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I agree, saying "don't make gross blanket statements about people based on their race" is a really GBS thing.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Don't make blanket statements about people based on their race. This seems to be something we can all agree with, correct?

#notall[add race here]

:same:

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 15, 2016

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Domestic Amuse posted:

#notall[add race here]

:same:

I don't see how this is even a remotely disagreeable thing. Fight against white supremacy, don't say that white people are terrible. There's a colossal difference between the two, right?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I don't see how this is even a remotely disagreeable thing. Fight against white supremacy, don't say that white people are terrible. There's a colossal difference between the two, right?

Part of white supremacy is that, in addition to all achievements of white people being shared by every white person, regardless of status, all negative aspects are not the responsibility of whiteness as a whole: It's a few bad apples, etc.

Of course this concept doesn't actually apply to anyone else. When a black person does something bad, it is reflective of their entire race. Likewise, when a black person achieves something, he's exceptional, not like all the others

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Rush Limbo posted:

Part of white supremacy is that, in addition to all achievements of white people being shared by every white person, regardless of status, all negative aspects are not the responsibility of whiteness as a whole: It's a few bad apples, etc.

Of course this concept doesn't actually apply to anyone else. When a black person does something bad, it is reflective of their entire race. Likewise, when a black person achieves something, he's exceptional, not like all the others

That seems like a tremendously narrow way to view this concept, and frankly, one designed to prop up your own idea of how these things work.

Edit: Sorry, let me explain myself. In effect, this is dodging the question. The implicit idea of my argument is to ask why is it not a racially deterministic thing to say "white people are terrible."

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 15, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

That seems like a tremendously narrow way to view this concept, and frankly, one designed to prop up your own idea of how these things work.

go away

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

You are also free to answer the question.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Double standards are bad. A single standard will do just fine. Until we reach the standard desired by MLK, that people should be judged by the content of their character, and no other reason, then I see no issue with holding all people accountable to the same standard white people have for everyone not white.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Here's a thing, do you truly believe you do all you can to fight for equality in the scope of your own life?

Because part of whiteness is that we can choose not to fight the good fight, we don't need to. But hey presto, if this recent election can tell you anything it's that people who choose to sit on the sidelines can be in part responsible for heinous things that others within their group perpetuate. America may in fact have a Muslim registry soon, I mean, for real?

Like men have a responsibility to prevent sexism and toxic masculinity, it being the house that they built, white people bear the responsibility for racism, supremacy and the structures that support it.

Whiteness is the worst because even the slightest threat to white advantage in the world results in a spectrum of white responses that DO NOT fight for equality in any sense of the word. The responses range from: hostility, discrediting, obstruction, questioning, apathy, with only a very small proportion actually capable of fighting the good fight, mainly because fighting the good fight usually means fighting your own demographic more than anything.

That's why whiteness is the worst, because when it comes to it, most who benefit will choose white identity and the families within it, than equality, and that allows the status quo to remain forever more, despite how many lives it needlessly ruins.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Edit: Sorry, let me explain myself. In effect, this is dodging the question. The implicit idea of my argument is to ask why is it not a racially deterministic thing to say "white people are terrible."

You're contributing to the problem a lot of non-white people have with discussing race and privilege in general: as soon as the concept of Whiteness is touched upon, someone immediately takes it as a personal affront and goes "not all white people." This isn't germane or conducive to the conversation. It's an attempt to invalidate the experiences of a marginalized populace.

Imagine if you were bleeding profusely while stumbling into a hospital. Imagine that, in your desperation, you ask for help from the staff but you're only met with apathetic "oh dears" and the occasional "I never got stabbed so this must be a problem with your kind." I'm a bit frazzled at the moment but this is the best analogy I can think of at this late hour. I imagine you're a member of the ingroup attempting to discredit the outgroup's problems via concern trolling and tone policing and that's messed up.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Hello, white people aren't really that terrible.

Edit: Let me add something. I think you've been given a tin-pot dictatorship here, despite the fact that you are at best a crazy man who has been legitimized by people who don't want to anger you despite your disgusting views toward the mentally ill and others. You've questioned people's "blackness" because you think you're the only person who gets to determine what being "black" really means. Apparently, "blackness" is purely something you can use as a weapon against others that don't agree with you in even the most minor of ways. You're a bully, and you're alone.

Hey, I don't give a poo poo about your opinion, so you can kindly gently caress right off.

You're basically in here to silence opinions that you don't understand and don't know poo poo about because it threatens your identity and privilege. You're not welcome here. Take that "it's really the black people that are angry that are the real racists" bullshit back to whatever stormfront subforum you got it from.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vanderdeath posted:

Imagine if you were bleeding profusely while stumbling into a hospital. Imagine that, in your desperation, you ask for help from the staff but you're only met with apathetic "oh dears" and the occasional "I never got stabbed so this must be a problem with your kind." I'm a bit frazzled at the moment but this is the best analogy I can think of at this late hour. I imagine you're a member of the ingroup attempting to discredit the outgroup's problems via concern trolling and tone policing and that's messed up.

It's actually more like that case a few years ago where some poor black woman was in a car accident and she got shot in the face with a shotgun for having the nerve to knock on someone's door begging for help with her injuries.

And white people actually came out saying the white guy that shot the black woman was in the right.

Imagine for a minute just how hosed up that is. Now you know how loving horrible things are in this country for black people.

White people are terrible. Full loving stop.

And gently caress anyone that takes exception to me posting this, I'm playing my white person card here and can say whatever the gently caress I want with my white privilege.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Vanderdeath posted:

You're contributing to the problem a lot of non-white people have with discussing race and privilege in general: as soon as the concept of Whiteness is touched upon, someone immediately takes it as a personal affront and goes "not all white people." This isn't germane or conducive to the conversation. It's an attempt to invalidate the experiences of a marginalized populace.

Then that same someone tries to talk down to you about how being "divisive" about race isn't in your best interests, all while ignoring the things that actually are in your best interest to tackle.

negromancer posted:

Hey, I don't give a poo poo about your opinion, so you can kindly gently caress right off.

You're basically in here to silence opinions that you don't understand and don't know poo poo about because it threatens your identity and privilege. You're not welcome here. Take that "it's really the black people that are angry that are the real racists" bullshit back to whatever stormfront subforum you got it from.

There's a good reason I haven't bothered taking this guy off my ignore list.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 15, 2016

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Domestic Amuse posted:

Then that same someone tries to talk down to you about how being "divisive" about race isn't in your best interests, all while ignoring the things that actually are in your best interest to tackle.

There's a good reason I haven't bothered taking this guy off my ignore list.

Tone policing is easy. Tackling white supremacy and potentially giving up privilege is hard. If we're gonna have real discussions about race and racism, white people are gonna have to put up with being uncomfortable. That's the reality.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Morby posted:

Tone policing is easy. Tackling white supremacy and potentially giving up privilege is hard. If we're gonna have real discussions about race and racism, white people are gonna have to put up with being uncomfortable. That's the reality.

Yeah and you roll back to the base of the problem. The white privilege is that when the conversation becomes uncomfortable the white option to completely disengage from it and live their life out with no penalty exists. Never ever crossing the mind again, an inconvenience lower than ones shoe coming untied on a sunny day.

In a twisted way, at least people dealing angry retorts back out recognize that division exists.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah and you roll back to the base of the problem. The white privilege is that when the conversation becomes uncomfortable the white option to completely disengage from it and live their life out with no penalty exists. Never ever crossing the mind again, an inconvenience lower than ones shoe coming untied on a sunny day.

In a twisted way, at least people dealing angry retorts back out recognize that division exists.

Sometimes they can even make the black people go away if they feel they aren't being sufficiently allowed to ignore the conversation. That's how this thread started.

:smith:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nevvy Z posted:

Sometimes they can even make the black people go away if they feel they aren't being sufficiently allowed to ignore the conversation. That's how this thread started.

:smith:

No, this thread started because the mods figuratively said "Make your own ghetto thread and stop posting in all of the white political threads".

EDIT: Uh-oh, my old custom title is gone. I wonder what the new one will be. :ohdear:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It feels like reflex. To hear "whites are terrible" and get defensive. To me, it feels just like my uncle saying "the blacks are criminals." I get that the difference is about power. But how is anyone who isn't both educated in the subject of privilege, and willing to instinctually swallow any kind of pride in who they are, or where they're from expected to just agree? It's not always trying to silence anyone, but honest irritation at someone being (to their eyes) racist at them, and seemingly blaming them and their race for it.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

You're breaking rules 1, 2, 4 and 5. Please break rule 3.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So do you think, in order to stave off irrelevance, latinx's will be folded into the White Club?

Its already happening. Although I don't think Latins were ever in danger of being irrelevant.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Wtf is with this avatar? I can't even tell if this is from an actual negrotown poster or from someone who hates negrotown or what. But it sure was jarring to see first thing when I got into work this morning.

like all I can figure is that someone thinks mixed-race people aren't allowed itt, but if that's the case why did they make their point by harassing me?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wtf is with this avatar? I can't even tell if this is from an actual negrotown poster or from someone who hates negrotown or what. But it sure was jarring to see first thing when I got into work this morning.

like all I can figure is that someone thinks mixed-race people aren't allowed itt, but if that's the case why did they make their point by harassing me?

Mixed race, trans, all the same to some of these straight white guys since they see neither from their moms basement.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I didn't realize it was ever in question.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

negromancer posted:

Mixed race, trans, all the same to some of these straight white guys since they see neither from their moms basement.

I PM'd FactsAreUseless because while I'm glad to take one on the chin if I make a lovely post, I feel like this one is just straight up harassing me based on my actual heritage and I'm feeling more and more upset about it as I sit here. Like some faceless, outside-the-thread racist, is calling me an Uncle Tom because I'm not the right kind of mixed-race for them I guess? Sorry my dad was pale and that passed on to me?

edit: Aaaand FactsAreUseless fixed it. Apparently the current system doesn't allow them to see which user is buying avatars and this is something they are planning to fix in the new software so they can actually punish people who are using them to harass. A good interaction with the moderation team.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 15, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I PM'd FactsAreUseless because while I'm glad to take one on the chin if I make a lovely post, I feel like this one is just straight up harassing me based on my actual heritage and I'm feeling more and more upset about it as I sit here. Like some faceless, outside-the-thread racist, is calling me an Uncle Tom because I'm not the right kind of mixed-race for them I guess? Sorry my dad was pale and that passed on to me?

Oh don't worry, I'm sure it was some CSPAM gently caress that can't keep my name and this thread out of their mouths to entertain their empty lives and believe the road to winning in 2018/2020 is be dropping all identity politics aka civil rights for anyone who isn't them. The irony is that they can't understand why the DNC keeps running out of touch neoliberals when they are just a reflection of their selfishness.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
It's presumably Effectronica, at least that's the current theory.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

botany posted:

It's presumably Effectronica, at least that's the current theory.

If that's true it explains all the cranky custom titles I got in the baseball thread too cuz they post there also.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Not a Step posted:

Its already happening. Although I don't think Latins were ever in danger of being irrelevant.

I think they meant it the other way around. Whites are gradually becoming less significant of a majority, but counting Latinos as 'white' would reverse this. Young Latinos are going to be a major voting bloc in the next decade. Most of their parents who immigrated to the US did so when they themselves were young adults.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Panfilo posted:

I think they meant it the other way around. Whites are gradually becoming less significant of a majority, but counting Latinos as 'white' would reverse this. Young Latinos are going to be a major voting bloc in the next decade. Most of their parents who immigrated to the US did so when they themselves were young adults.

Yeah, that's what I thought the idea was. Latin people who don't have accents are likely to be embraced by white people. There are segments of Latin culture that share a lot of conservative value with large segments of white culture and one of the few barricades to them participating in the white power structure is that they experience racial discrimination from white people. There are plenty of Latin folks who would happily vote R based on family values and such if the other part of the R platform wasn't "deport them all".

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

E: ^^^ Latin culture is already getting absorbed into mainstream American culture and normalized. Halloween was an Irish holiday that got absorbed and nationalized as part of their transition to being white. Also there already are a lot of Latin voters who vote R, some of them explicitly *because* of 'deport them all'. Theres a non-zero number of immigrants who genuinely believe the undocumented are cheaters who are giving them a bad name. Racial solidarity doesn't really carry that much weight.

Panfilo posted:

Thats a real dumb argument though. Whites still outnumber everyone else, will for centuries, and hold all the reigns of power in America. They will never not be extremely relevant. Or at the very least way more relevant than Black America, who will likely never breach 20% of the population.

The other thing is Latins are less of a voting bloc than people want to admit. They identify more closely by nation of origin than by a unified identity. Cuban Americans in Florida don't significantly share political ideology with Mexican Americans in Texas. And even if they did identify as a super group theres no guarantee theyd even remotely care about Black issues. In fact I've seen studies that suggest Latins are even more racist towards Blacks than Whites, largely as a result of attitudes brought from their home nations and self sorting into single ethnicity neighborhoods after they get here. If you're waiting for a great Latin Bloc to come reverse the direction of politics in America, uh, its not going to happen.

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 15, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

If that's true it explains all the cranky custom titles I got in the baseball thread too cuz they post there also.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Eff does not, in fact, post about baseball.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I am about 100% positive that while Effectronica is very fond of grinding posters' bones to dust during the brief periods between their month-long probes, they have neither the money nor inclination to question people's racial legitimacy through oodles of redtexts and custom avatars

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Here's my hot take: Latinx people who are white will eventually, probably soon, be accepted as white, and Latinx people who are black, mestizo, indigenous, or biracial will continue to be not-white and treated like poo poo.

Regarding the whole "whites are terrible" business, it's probably true way more often than not, so the whole "well NOT ALL [X]" reflex that comes up every time a privileged group is criticized is pretty tiring. Even white people who are generally opposed to racism usually only do it when it's convenient to them, and not when it would actually affect them negatively to do so (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone). If you're white, your ego should not be so fragile that you can't critically examine your own actions and attitudes without having a whiny breakdown. Imagine what would happen if you faced racial bias that actually made the faintest loving difference to your life, like non-white people do!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Talmonis posted:

It feels like reflex. To hear "whites are terrible" and get defensive. To me, it feels just like my uncle saying "the blacks are criminals." I get that the difference is about power. But how is anyone who isn't both educated in the subject of privilege, and willing to instinctually swallow any kind of pride in who they are, or where they're from expected to just agree? It's not always trying to silence anyone, but honest irritation at someone being (to their eyes) racist at them, and seemingly blaming them and their race for it.

I'd say that this person isn't really ready to truthfully engage with POC about white supremacy in that case. Look, beyond a certain point, I've just come to realize and understand that most white people will never get it and don't want to. Why would they? Things are working out just fine from where they sit! And it doesn't matter if we gently request or sing and peacefully march or if we silently take a knee, or if we riot. They just don't give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Morby posted:

I'd say that this person isn't really ready to truthfully engage with POC about white supremacy in that case. Look, beyond a certain point, I've just come to realize and understand that most white people will never get it and don't want to. Why would they? Things are working out just fine from where they sit! And it doesn't matter if we gently request or sing and peacefully march or if we silently take a knee, or if we riot. They just don't give a poo poo.

You will *never* get white people to engage en masse in the way you want, no matter what you do, because they don't have to and nothing will ever change that. You might get *some* to come to your side, but odds are they're going to be obnoxious in other ways and be equally incapable of connecting with whites as a whole. If you invoke racial identity eventually they will remember that the white racial identity is 'in control of everything and doesn't have to listen to anyone else'.

So, uh, you might need some new tactics.

• Locked thread