Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Getting that drat itch to play this game again, its been a while though:

Played mostly from 2005 - 2008/9 then burnt out, tried again in 2010 to pick it up but all my poo poo was in nullsec and my alliance was dead, I just couldn't get into it. Amazed my characters still exist, they're still showing on the EvE account management page, albeit with no portraits any more given how you guys have that fancy new 3D poo poo these days.

The only real thing holding me back is I'm not sure I can be bothered with the sheer effort that would be required to liquidate all my poo poo in nullsec, if thats even possible anymore, and get up and running again. :effort:

Also what the hell are these "Content Packs"? You can buy basic skills? You don't have to get an ALT account anymore and leave it sitting there for months on end training it up before it became useful, only logging in to switch skills?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Tindahbawx posted:

The only real thing holding me back is I'm not sure I can be bothered with the sheer effort that would be required to liquidate all my poo poo in nullsec, if thats even possible anymore, and get up and running again. :effort:

Where's your stuff located? Pretty sure there's enough people from coalitions in this thread that whatever the system you should be able to get something for the gear.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't logged into EVE in ages, but Windows Defender just identified a Trojan in my long-dormant EReactor software.

e. nm. https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Trojan:Win32/Peals.A!cl

But I deleted it anyway.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 13, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do the new structures use more pi materials/are pi materials more valuable now?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Do the new structures use more pi materials/are pi materials more valuable now?

Yes.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Oodles posted:

Where's your stuff located? Pretty sure there's enough people from coalitions in this thread that whatever the system you should be able to get something for the gear.

Oh...buggered if I know, somewhere down south Impass or Feythabolis that area.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
did CCP say they have a plan to get rid of hisec stations? It's sort of weird to go into a system and see a handful of barely-used stations

Kritisch The Scrub
Apr 1, 2015

Tindahbawx posted:

Getting that drat itch to play this game again, its been a while though:

Played mostly from 2005 - 2008/9 then burnt out, tried again in 2010 to pick it up but all my poo poo was in nullsec and my alliance was dead, I just couldn't get into it. Amazed my characters still exist, they're still showing on the EvE account management page, albeit with no portraits any more given how you guys have that fancy new 3D poo poo these days.

Also what the hell are these "Content Packs"? You can buy basic skills? You don't have to get an ALT account anymore and leave it sitting there for months on end training it up before it became useful, only logging in to switch skills?

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Join a HighSec Incursion group for a few weeks and you will have plenty of ISk to do whatever with. Then you could tack to Blackfrog to get your crap out to Jita before joining Karmafleet, P.Horde, INIT, MC (I forget what their newbee corp/alliance is called), ProviBlock, or whatever other alliance you want to get into.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Kritisch The Scrub posted:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Join a HighSec Incursion group for a few weeks and you will have plenty of ISk to do whatever with. Then you could tack to Blackfrog to get your crap out to Jita before joining Karmafleet, P.Horde, INIT, MC (I forget what their newbee corp/alliance is called), ProviBlock, or whatever other alliance you want to get into.

yeah, compared to <2012 it's amazingly easy to make isk now

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Landsknecht posted:

did CCP say they have a plan to get rid of hisec stations? It's sort of weird to go into a system and see a handful of barely-used stations

No clue. I think they want to make stations NPC only, and while some systems indeed have way too many stations for their own good, I don't see them removing them at all.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.
Wait for a year and you want Citadels removed from HS.. They are nice, but they will glitter a system to poo poo. Removing stations from HS will be your least concern then!

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Multilake posted:

Wait for a year and you want Citadels removed from HS.. They are nice, but they will glitter a system to poo poo. Removing stations from HS will be your least concern then!

have a hard cap on the number of citadels, and make them easier to destroy

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Landsknecht posted:

make them easier to destroy

So much this..

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
They'll make them easier to kill when undefended eventually, or the game will be full of them. Not requiring a small amount of fuel was stupid, because the easy solution was "no fuel, no/one reinforcement and boom".

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MorsAnima posted:

They'll make them easier to kill when undefended eventually, or the game will be full of them. Not requiring a small amount of fuel was stupid, because the easy solution was "no fuel, no/one reinforcement and boom".

That's a reasonable way to handle them, actually. Fuel = reinforcement cycles is simple, and even has a risk/reward/activity angle to it. Has this been proposed on the official forums Reddit or somewhere?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How much does a stick take a day? I've never dealt with running POSes, thank Bob.

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 15, 2016

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

iospace posted:

thank Bob.

:frogout:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm a wormholer, not a former member of band of brothers

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

iospace posted:

How much does a stick take a day? I've never dealt with running POSes, thank Bob.

For a large it's 30 with sov, 40 without.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
thats per hour.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

imgay

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MorsAnima posted:

No reinforcement is maybe too punishing, what I'd do is make no fuel = no damage regeneration / self-repair. So the owner still gets the same number of chances to save it, but it's also easy for even the most lackadaisical attacker to kill. (Solo a citadel!) That also means it wouldn't repair back to full health or reset the reinforce state until it got fueled again. So you get a little bit of a "decay" effect: even if the first attacker gets distracted and doesn't finish it off, someone else can pick up at the same place.

Do citadel wrecks drop anything besides their fittings in non-wspace? Can you use salvagers on the wrecks? If there was even a very small profit motive to killing them, like barely enough to offset the wardec cost, that would clean them out pretty quick.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
No fuel no reinforcement in my opinion.

On top of that it should gradually take damage for every hour it spends out of fuel. Something like 3% per day.

POSes should have worked like that too.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

Ynglaur posted:

Has this been proposed on the official forums Reddit or somewhere?

I have seen that on reddit many times! I think even a CSM Member agreed on the very same idea and wanted to make sure to talk to CCP once they meet. Let's just hope it gets heard

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Multilake posted:

Let's just hope it gets heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKVAs2J84w8

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Klyith posted:

No reinforcement is maybe too punishing, what I'd do is make no fuel = no damage regeneration / self-repair. So the owner still gets the same number of chances to save it, but it's also easy for even the most lackadaisical attacker to kill. (Solo a citadel!) That also means it wouldn't repair back to full health or reset the reinforce state until it got fueled again. So you get a little bit of a "decay" effect: even if the first attacker gets distracted and doesn't finish it off, someone else can pick up at the same place.

Do citadel wrecks drop anything besides their fittings in non-wspace? Can you use salvagers on the wrecks? If there was even a very small profit motive to killing them, like barely enough to offset the wardec cost, that would clean them out pretty quick.

30m in salvage from a raitaru. If they're anything similar it's a giant waste of time, thanks to asset safety existing.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

MorsAnima posted:

30m in salvage from a raitaru. If they're anything similar it's a giant waste of time, thanks to asset safety existing.
Don't the materials and blueprints for in-progress build jobs drop if you kill an engineering complex? That could be worth something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LemonDrizzle posted:

Don't the materials and blueprints for in-progress build jobs drop if you kill an engineering complex? That could be worth something.
BPOs are always safe.
BPCs, mats, and undelivered but complete jobs can drop.

MorsAnima posted:

Well, a minimum cost wardec is 50m right? If the rest salvage for proportionately more (800m Raitaru -> 1.2b astrahus = ~50m) then you are at least breaking even on an astrahus, plus drops from the citadel mods. So not lucrative, but if you had a way to identify abandoned citadels it could be semi-worthwhile to run around highsec killing them with pulse oracles or something. Particularly if unfueled citadels had a HP penalty where you could do that with just like 2, rather than 4 or 5.

Ooooh, new idea: destroyed citadels drop some "Upwell Data Cores", which select NPCs will have buy orders for. It's like the black box recorder, they want to see how it performed in combat and what these capsuleers were doing with it. Bam, now you have a profit motive to kill even the abandoned astrahus with nothing but an ore reprocessing module installed.

(And if you were really devious, you'd put them in the actual Data Core section of the market, so that people look at them and say, oh poo poo will we need these to invent tech 2 citadels?!)

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

iospace posted:

Let's be honest, we all know Pangloss meant Bob Starseeker, not Band of Brothers.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

iospace posted:

I know what you're talking about, I've spent most of my Eve time in wormholes. Bob is about as pubbie as it gets. MiMi Coleslaw is the only force in wormholes that protects goons located there.

RhoA posted:

Let's be honest, we all know Pangloss meant Bob Starseeker, not Band of Brothers.

I meant Bobbo Starseeker, the worst of all the Bobs.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Do I need any skills to anchor a citadel?
I'm thinking about throwing up a astrahaus in a random rear end system just for it to be my personal piece of space trash that I can stumble upon years later by accident

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

No fuel no reinforcement in my opinion.

On top of that it should gradually take damage for every hour it spends out of fuel. Something like 3% per day.

POSes should have worked like that too.

Automatic degradation is dumb. Have it drop its shield and maybe have resists drop to zero, but otherwise a structure is a structure. POSes worked fine in that way.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Automatic degradation is dumb. Have it drop its shield and maybe have resists drop to zero, but otherwise a structure is a structure. POSes worked fine in that way.

Except when every moon is taken by an offlined large pos. More a high sec issue granted but still.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I meant Bobbo Starseeker, the worst of all the Bobs.

Hey...wait a minute. :frog:

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

Except when every moon is taken by an offlined large pos. More a high sec issue granted but still.

Oh no, muh high sec moons. War dec, kill POS, anchor your own. It's not hard.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Oh no, muh high sec moons. War dec, kill POS, anchor your own. It's not hard.

Supposedly quite a lot of effort to do in subcaps. Especially for small groups or lone people. I don't see why people shouldn't be expected to maintain a POS/citadel to keep it.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

Supposedly quite a lot of effort to do in subcaps. Especially for small groups or lone people. I don't see why people shouldn't be expected to maintain a POS/citadel to keep it.

Eh, not really. I have a tower one jump from Jita that I got by deccing a corp that owned a dead stick, killing that with a couple Taloses. It's some effort, which means too much for most players, but it's not a lot of effort.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oracles make the best pos bashing subs,if you ask me, mostly because you can't run out of ammo if you carry a meta 0 crystal set

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

iospace posted:

Oracles make the best pos bashing subs,if you ask me, mostly because you can't run out of ammo if you carry a meta 0 crystal set

You're right! I solo bashed Pocos in nullsec for a while and while the Talos has the most paper DPS. The oracle not having to reload more than makes up for slightly lower damage.

FYI it takes something like 7 hours to reinforce a poco in an Oracle solo :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
why wouldn't you just use a few supercarriers to bash pocos?

• Locked thread