Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Wait, I thought all the cool people were using emacs?

For people trying to learn vim:
http://vim-adventures.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

vi 4 lyfe.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Be glad you never have to use older systems, or non-linux systems... or even just minimal install systems. There are plenty of cases where vi is the only option for editing, even if its not the majority of cases.

I never said I don't know how to use VI.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If you google "never accept a counter offer" you will be met with an incredible number of articles making that exact statement.

In terms of common sense, is the counter offer for more than what the other company is offering? 99% of counter offers are for the exact same as the outside offer, and is based solely on the outside offer. The current company is not basing the pay on work ethic, employee value, merit, future-building, or anything else an employee should work towards.

In the 1% of cases where the counter offer is MORE than the outside company, then there's a case to be made that your current employer made a legit oversight on your pay and is working seriously to fix the problem.
From a situational awareness standpoint, it helps to know about the financial approval structures of the company you're working for, too. I've worked in places (nonprofit) where my bosses (manager, IT director, CIO) were all gunning for me to have a higher salary, but they had to run it through HR and the COO of the organization, which were notoriously difficult on raises that did not accompany promotions. I was actually implicitly encouraged to go out and get another offer for them to use as leverage.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hey guys

Remember that weird linux/apple loving vegan athiest who smells and refuses to shut up about how bad windows is? The one that I posted about 500 pages ago?

I get to reformat his stupid "customised" PC tomorrow because our new phone software is incompatible with one of the changes he's made and thanks to him we can finally make a list of approved software that people can install from. Before it was handled by people "asking IT" (hahaha) before they installed something but since this guy joined he's made it easier for us to push for a change of policy. We're also auditing the PC's regularly now to catch people who aren't complying.

Thank you, weird smelly first liner, you are so bad you've actually made my job easier.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sounds like a win!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sepist posted:

I silently judge people who use nano over vi

I use ed

gently caress all you kids who need 'full screen'

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CloFan posted:

Sounds like a win!

Now if only I can make it a company policy to hang an air freshener around his neck...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Some guy from corporate IT sent out a company wide email with a screenshot of one of our systems not working, and his username was SHART. I chuckled.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The "SharePoint" in a file name was shortened by the platform it was stored in to "Sha...t" which I thought was highly appropriate.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

big money big clit posted:

Sounds like things are out of your hands, but "it has a faceplate with the same name as some other stuff we buy" is a terrible reason to buy something, especially as there is no special integration between those products.

And EQL has been on deaths door for a while. They've basically been giving away Compellant rather than selling it.

Well I think why that's a point is because they may give a better price because we buy so much from Dell, not that we just buy it because it's dell.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

myron cope posted:

Well I think why that's a point is because they may give a better price because we buy so much from Dell, not that we just buy it because it's dell.

A better price than what? How do you know if it's a good price if you're not looking at comparable products? "Look how much we got off a completely arbitrary list price that no one actually pays!"

The best way to get a good price from a vendor is to let them know you're looking at competitors.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

insidius posted:

I just have to tell someone. Or a large group of individuals I guess.

I hate my job. Turning up here everyday and stroking people off with bullshit while my technical abilities slowly die is draining my very life force.

Oh man, not again :(. You were the one with the boss so bad you probably can't legally discuss it anymore.

Scheduled an interview for that more advanced position. This one is full time rather than contract, and it would pay at least $60,000 per year rather than $27/hr. But I think I would like the other job's work better, and working with SQL would position me to get into the programming side of things. If I get both offers that will be a tough decision. That's a long shot though, so I probably shouldn't worry about it too much yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

myron cope posted:

Management loves thinking this, no it's not true. Oh they gave us SUCH a good deal! Go configure any Dell Server you want. You will notice it tells you you are getting 60% off, that's the end of year special! Well most of the year it's at least 50% off I've never seen it less than that. I call my Dell Rep and they quote me above that I screenshot them the configuration ask what the gently caress they take $100 off and then refuse to go lower.

I did still end up getting a Dell, but from a VAR because the VAR actually wanted to work with me. Same VAR also gave me a quote on an HP. I ended up with around 80% over the list price off but seriously, it's a nonsense number. I'm sure people get more off, but we weren't making a large purchase, and you can only expect so much.

Dealing with Dell Directly is horrible don't do it, they don't want to sell to you, they want to sell through a vendor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a great time dealing with Dell directly :shrug:

Maybe they're nicer because they're Dell Canada eehehhehhhehehe

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Shrug, I feel like Dell is in the same boat as Oracle. Avoid at all costs.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I've never dealt with Dell sales, but Dell support has been pretty good.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Took a new job that is 100% remote. And thats awesome.

The interview left me feeling great; moving large swaths of their infrastructure to Azure, big on powershell, infrastructure as code, DevOps. Awesome!

The reality? Nope; 100% old school systems admin poo poo. Intentionally avoiding the specifics just in case.

:smithicide:

At least the 100% remote part was true.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:frogout:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

I use nano over VI because it makes linux nerds angry and always prompts them to say "BUT ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT IT'S JUST SO MUCH FASTER!"

My IRC friends just browbeat me into installing vim on my irssi VPS because nano is for losers.

As if I do anything beyond tiny config tweaks anyway. Also whatever Ubuntu build RamNode uses didn't have vim on it from the get-go.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inspector_666 posted:

My IRC friends just browbeat me into installing vim on my irssi VPS because nano is for losers.

As if I do anything beyond tiny config tweaks anyway. Also whatever Ubuntu build RamNode uses didn't have vim on it from the get-go.

vim isn't everywhere, vi is.

vim is just prettier.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh man, not again :(. You were the one with the boss so bad you probably can't legally discuss it anymore.

To be fair in this job my boss is awesome, they don't overwork me and they treat all their employees like human beings.

I just got jammed into management by accident and it's not like "Still be technical and you manage" its just...managing. It's all O3's and meetings
about how people feel about poo poo.

I honestly just don't think I am cut out for it. It's not that I am bad at it, quite the opposite. I just can not find any enjoyment from it. I miss solving
problems, I miss building awesome poo poo etc.

I should try and look to become more excited about it I guess.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A text editor has no good reason to be so nonintuitive as to be effectively impossible to perform the following basic tasks without referencing a manual if you've never used it before.

- Open a config file
- Find a specific parameter
- Edit that single line
- Save the file
- Exit

Almost any other editor on the planet you could give to anyone sufficiently computer-savvy as to not go crosseyed when looking at a config file and they'd be able to figure out that set of tasks without much trouble. Not so for vi(m). Power user features are fine to be complicated, that's the nature of the beast, but we're talking about basically the bare minimum functionality required to call something a useful editor.

vi(m) is needlessly complicated for a lot of uses and users. It's very powerful which is beneficial to a lot of users, but it shouldn't be the default. Something like nano would have been a far better choice for the "standard so it's everywhere" editor. How often do you really find yourself in a bare minimum environment needing to do advanced editing rather than just tweaking one or two little things? Obviously legacy compatibility means vi (or more often vim pretending to be vi) is going to be around basically forever but since there are already two different line editors there's no good reason IEEE/Open Group couldn't add another screen editor to the spec that's not built around the limitations of 70s-era terminals. It doesn't have to be nano, but something that either takes the de facto standard keystrokes for those functions or provides a user interface where those features can be discovered would be nice.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nano supremacy

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

wolrah posted:

A text editor has no good reason to be so nonintuitive as to be effectively impossible to perform the following basic tasks without referencing a manual if you've never used it before.

- Open a config file
- Find a specific parameter
- Edit that single line
- Save the file
- Exit

Almost any other editor on the planet you could give to anyone sufficiently computer-savvy as to not go crosseyed when looking at a config file and they'd be able to figure out that set of tasks without much trouble. Not so for vi(m). Power user features are fine to be complicated, that's the nature of the beast, but we're talking about basically the bare minimum functionality required to call something a useful editor.

vi(m) is needlessly complicated for a lot of uses and users. It's very powerful which is beneficial to a lot of users, but it shouldn't be the default. Something like nano would have been a far better choice for the "standard so it's everywhere" editor. How often do you really find yourself in a bare minimum environment needing to do advanced editing rather than just tweaking one or two little things? Obviously legacy compatibility means vi (or more often vim pretending to be vi) is going to be around basically forever but since there are already two different line editors there's no good reason IEEE/Open Group couldn't add another screen editor to the spec that's not built around the limitations of 70s-era terminals. It doesn't have to be nano, but something that either takes the de facto standard keystrokes for those functions or provides a user interface where those features can be discovered would be nice.

code:
golem$ ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Ed is generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm the novice with verbosity.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Walked posted:

Took a new job that is 100% remote. And thats awesome.

The interview left me feeling great; moving large swaths of their infrastructure to Azure, big on powershell, infrastructure as code, DevOps. Awesome!

The reality? Nope; 100% old school systems admin poo poo. Intentionally avoiding the specifics just in case.

:smithicide:

At least the 100% remote part was true.

I feel you. I definitely got a bit of bait and switch during the interviews at my current gig, where "how we want our environment to be" was presented as "how it is". Walked into a lot more manual processes and barriers/hostility between dev and ops than I'd expected.

The silver lining was for the most part, their ~DevOps Utopia~ really is how they want the engineering org to operate. So mostly I'm having a blast moving things forward, and have lots of management support for it.

Sure wasn't what I expected to log into on day one, though. I need to get better at dragging reality out of people during interviews whenever I decide to move on. Took too many claims at face value.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 16, 2016

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

If you don't use vi(m) and love it and pollute any server you have to log into with your .vimrc and .vim/ directories, you have no business as a *NIX admin.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Docjowles posted:

I feel you. I definitely got a bit of bait and switch during the interviews at my current gig, where "how we want our environment to be" was presented as "how it is". Walked into a lot more manual processes and barriers/hostility between dev and ops than I'd expected.

The silver lining was for the most part, their ~DevOps Utopia~ really is how they want the engineering org to operate. So mostly I'm having a blast moving things forward, and have lots of management support for it.

Sure wasn't what I expected to log into on day one, though. I need to get better at dragging reality out of people during interviews whenever I decide to move on. Took too many claims at face value.

I'm about to fly across the country to interview for a DevOps engineer role, and am nervous as hell about it. It sounds alot like what you are doing here.

I have 3 interviews in the coming 5 days, including that one, after a 3 month dry spell. When it rains, it pours!

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
re: editor chat

I grew up with pico, and never got round to learning vi. nano all day for me these days.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I'm about to fly across the country to interview for a DevOps engineer role, and am nervous as hell about it. It sounds alot like what you are doing here.

I have 3 interviews in the coming 5 days, including that one, after a 3 month dry spell. When it rains, it pours!

Gotta use that personnel budget allocation before the end of the fiscal year or they might lose it.

I've seen hiring flurries in Q4 and Q2, depending on when the fiscal year ends for the company.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

flosofl posted:

Gotta use that personnel budget allocation before the end of the fiscal year or they might lose it.

I've seen hiring flurries in Q4 and Q2, depending on when the fiscal year ends for the company.
Alternatively, they might only get the budget opened up on January 1. It's unlikely anyone would start before then.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Re: text editing on remote Linux boxes

These days I just do atom with remote-sync.

Because gently caress editing documents in a terminal. Terminals are for commands, not writing an essay.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
EDIT: AAAAAAaaaand there's a newbie programming job thread in COBOL. I r smrt. Strikethroughing the ones that are better asked there.

Hello, oh IT work megathread, I have a few questions. If there are resources I missed that answer them, feel free to tell me to gently caress off and read that before posting again.

What the gently caress do (good) cybersecurity people actually do (with emphasis on entry-er level stuff)? Judging by the ticket and pissed off thread, some run a program then aggressively read off the outputs at you while rolling in money, yell at people for stupid policies, etc.. Or run penetration testing which seems like a somewhat more advanced than entry level thing to do. By the Security thread, it seems they mostly argue about crypto and buy people red text avatars, but that one was less entertaining than the ticket or pissing off threads.

Are there any programming certs one can get to signal that one is not a dumbass? Most of the certs thread seems to be geared more towards IT and administration.

In the same line as the last one, how viable is starting in programming/dev without a bachelor's? For reference, I have a two year engineering degree with somewhat of an unofficial focus on programming and computer stuff. I got into college, and I have pretty much all the base requirements for a 4 year degree, but I was initially in engineering until learning that I am depressive and don't do well in an unsupervised setting like that. I am a bit rusty and would need to do some brushing up, but I am fluent in java, almost as fluent in C/C++ and know a good amount of HDL. Beyond that most of what I have done is dabbling. In language agnostic areas, I'm familiar with the basic data structures and choosing when to use them and the like, along with not coding like an idiot who doesn't care if anyone can read and maintain his code. My entire data structures course was held to pretty much professional commenting and style guide standards. I was pretty drat proud of that B.

With that skillset in mind, are there any obvious things to learn that would increase employability? I'm currently working outside of computers, but I have plenty of time at work I could spend reading books.

Finally, if any MD people want to weigh in on the job market here, I'd appreciate that, but not expecting much from this one.

Felime fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 16, 2016

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I'm on the end of week 1; and the more I observe and take in the operations and team environment, I get the feeling that the reality isnt even "that's where we want to be" but rather "a manager once sat in on a tech conference about the concept of DevOps and feels favorably, but doesnt really have the aptitude or pull to push it forward with any buy-in from management".

Yeah; no thanks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flosofl posted:

I also found out today talking to one of the guys after todays interview that the market I am in favors windows admins because they cost so much less to pay than unix admins :cripes:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Walked posted:

I'm on the end of week 1; and the more I observe and take in the operations and team environment, I get the feeling that the reality isnt even "that's where we want to be" but rather "a manager once sat in on a tech conference about the concept of DevOps and feels favorably, but doesnt really have the aptitude or pull to push it forward with any buy-in from management".

Yeah; no thanks.

Yeah that sounds pretty garbage and I'd be tempted to jump back into job searching after a couple months if it doesn't improve. Unless there's some mitigating factor like insane pay.

One "it wasn't a good fit" blip in a series of steady gigs shouldn't really tag you as a job hopper.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty garbage and I'd be tempted to jump back into job searching after a couple months if it doesn't improve. Unless there's some mitigating factor like insane pay.

One "it wasn't a good fit" blip in a series of steady gigs shouldn't really tag you as a job hopper.

Yeah; the compelling piece is 100% remote. But I'm already avidly putting my eyes on the market again.

edit: And I've got a pretty lengthy history, and 5+ years tenure at my last position. Not too worried about dropping a one-off "not a good fit" all things considered.

edit2: That said, I'm going to roll with it through the holiday season; not really interested in a rapid ejection here; but I cant see making it past the start of summer without some staggering restructuring.

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 16, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How many years would you need to not be considered a "job hopper"?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Felime posted:

EDIT: AAAAAAaaaand there's a newbie programming job thread in COBOL. I r smrt. Strikethroughing the ones that are better asked there.

Hello, oh IT work megathread, I have a few questions. If there are resources I missed that answer them, feel free to tell me to gently caress off and read that before posting again.

What the gently caress do (good) cybersecurity people actually do (with emphasis on entry-er level stuff)? Judging by the ticket and pissed off thread, some run a program then aggressively read off the outputs at you while rolling in money, yell at people for stupid policies, etc.. Or run penetration testing which seems like a somewhat more advanced than entry level thing to do. By the Security thread, it seems they mostly argue about crypto and buy people red text avatars, but that one was less entertaining than the ticket or pissing off threads.

Are there any programming certs one can get to signal that one is not a dumbass? Most of the certs thread seems to be geared more towards IT and administration.

In the same line as the last one, how viable is starting in programming/dev without a bachelor's? For reference, I have a two year engineering degree with somewhat of an unofficial focus on programming and computer stuff. I got into college, and I have pretty much all the base requirements for a 4 year degree, but I was initially in engineering until learning that I am depressive and don't do well in an unsupervised setting like that. I am a bit rusty and would need to do some brushing up, but I am fluent in java, almost as fluent in C/C++ and know a good amount of HDL. Beyond that most of what I have done is dabbling. In language agnostic areas, I'm familiar with the basic data structures and choosing when to use them and the like, along with not coding like an idiot who doesn't care if anyone can read and maintain his code. My entire data structures course was held to pretty much professional commenting and style guide standards. I was pretty drat proud of that B.

With that skillset in mind, are there any obvious things to learn that would increase employability? I'm currently working outside of computers, but I have plenty of time at work I could spend reading books.

Finally, if any MD people want to weigh in on the job market here, I'd appreciate that, but not expecting much from this one.

The job market in MD is great for IT people. Doubly so if you can get a security clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

spiny posted:

re: editor chat

I grew up with pico, and never got round to learning vi. nano all day for me these days.

Same here. Why did pico change to nano, I don't even remember when it happened, but never did try to find out why it got rebranded.