Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
There's a risk of reattachment regardless of the method.

Maybe they do the laser differently here? There are two paediatric dentists who do it in my city, and I've generally found the healing time to be 1-2 weeks with a fussy baby. With clipped ties, I generally find the baby's pretty well back to normal the next day. I've had babies actually lose quite a bit of weight after the laser because their little mouths are too sore to feed properly. Maybe we just don't have good paediatric dentists here, although I live in a major city, so that would be surprising.

The folic acid supplementation question is an interesting one. Tongue tie is a subject of robust debate where I am right now and there are lots of controversies. Is it caused by folic acid supplementation, or are we just detecting more of them because we're looking for more of them? (The SOGC guidelines on folic acid have changed recently and now recommend less folic acid, so maybe we'll see in a couple of years.) When should tongue ties be released, and when should they be left alone? If you ask two neonatal care providers you'll get three opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

TBF my kid was done by an ENT in a Children's Hospital, and because of her age required gas anesthesia. It was still like 10 minutes max, though. I remember she was a little grumpy on the car ride home, but then ate dinner that night with just a little soreness. They also had to ablate some tissue on her gums that was causing a big old gap between her front teeth. I don't think that was a thing they could really do with a blade.

Nursing also wasn't all that bad. The first 10 days to two weeks sucked because my poor babby nipples had to toughen up, but once we got the hang of the side lying latch life got pretty drat convenient. Hang in there!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Yes, if you have anything but an uncomplicated anterior tongue tie in a young newborn, which is the most common case, you will probably need the laser. There are some paediatricians at our children's hospital who will do it as a day procedure, but mostly for more complex cases like older babies, tissue regrowth requiring a second procedure, or really complex procedures. But the dentists in town (who charge ~$300 out of pocket, as opposed to clipping, which is covered by provincial healthcare) are really aggressively promoting the laser for everybody, which frankly makes me pretty mad. I think it's sleazy to charge someone $300 for a procedure with extensive aftercare and a possibly elevated risk of complications when the problem could be solved by a 2 mm snip with surgical scissors for free.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
What's the percentage of newborns with a tongue tie or lip tie?
Boy am I glad for signing up for a prenatal class. Unfortunately it's the weekend of March 25th which is pretty drat close to my due date (April 7th).

Also, I feel like my date might be off by a week?
I had a dream someone told me the baby would be born March 31st, which I know is totally not indicative of anything but the baby has consistently measured a week ahead. I'm going to be 24 weeks on Saturday. So baby has always measured a week ahead and weighs almost two pounds. Guess only time will tell.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
That's so curious. The consensus around me (metropolitan American city) is to use the laser to decrease healing time and risk of reattachment. My kid had it done at 10 weeks (after 2 rounds of mastitis and more cracks then I could count) and cried for 10 minutes. I nursed her right there and she immediately calmed down. No problems since and her latch immediately improved. My supply even got a great boost right after and has been more stable ever since.

Now this was a severe anterior tongue tie and lip tie, so I was told that I could use laser or freneceomy since neither would be covered as the insurance company said I should "it's not vital, because you can just use formula." Gotta love 'america.

Edit: used the laser with a pediatric dentist since he could get me in the fastest.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Can babies just be checked at / soon after birth for tongue ties...?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes but YMMV based on the doc or nurse who is doing the check.

My son has an upper lip tie and tongue tie. It caused no issues with nursing and hasn't caused issues with speech so we didn't do anything with them. Not every tie needs surgery.

Edit: he's 3.5 now too.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Yea my son's lip tie didn't get in the way of nursing or eating but there was a significant gap between his teeth and I worried about speech development. There was also the concern that he would fall on his face as a toddler and sever the tie himself (a common injury) but that it wouldn't sever cleanly and would be bloody and require stitches.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My younger son had his lip tie cauterized at four weeks old because he couldn't move his upper lip at all without crying. Most of our breastfeeding issues were more due to an overactive letdown, though. He still has a posterior tongue tie that may or may not be impacting his speech. If he has a tonsillectomy like his brother has had, our ENT will snip the tie at the same time (and stitch it so no stretches necessary!). He nursed until 27 months, for what it's worth.

As a LC, I think tongue ties can be a problem, but they can also be over-diagnosed. There is a lot of cultural misinformation about successful breastfeeding that I feel has a much bigger impact on it being a success than tongue ties. Without proper latch work with an IBCLC, tongue tie revisions are usually not the magical fix that people can make them out to be.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Welp, my water broke this morning! 41w1d. On the way to the doctor now. No contractions yet aside from painless ones here and there. Here's hoping this all goes smoothly.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Kerafyrm posted:

Welp, my water broke this morning! 41w1d. On the way to the doctor now. No contractions yet aside from painless ones here and there. Here's hoping this all goes smoothly.

Eeeee! Good luck!

Oh god me next please, please, please.

Lost my mucus plug yesterday but whoopdidooo..

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I want to see some goon babies for Christmas!

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Dogfish posted:

I agree with all of this except if your baby is tongue-tied please see if it's clippable before jumping right to the laser. A lot of folks seem to be pushing the laser right now (the dentists certainly are) but it's a way longer and more painful healing process for little people, and there is some thought that it involves more risk to the surrounding structures, as well. For a posterior tongue tie or a lip tie, the laser is the only option in many cases, but for a simple anterior tongue tie a quick frenectomy is all that's needed and it's much easier on all concerned. (Cheaper, too.)

Source please? You're the first person to say anything about a longer/more painful recovery and we're taking baby to the pediatric dentist this weekend.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Anecdote is not data, I know, but our daughter was 10 weeks at the time of her laser procedure for upper lip, posterior tongue and buccal ties. Like I mentioned she screamed for literally hours. She didn't stop until she passed out from fatigue in the car about two hours later, only to wake up and immediately start again. She was miserable for a good week after, if not two, partly because the aftercare involves literally poking/stretching the wounds every four hours round the clock for a whole week (which we didn't do to the letter because 1)we all needed to sleep and 2)she learnt within the first day what was coming and would immediately start shrieking in fear even when we tried to make a game of it/jolly her along). In the end we dosed her to the maximum allowable on ibuprofen and paracetamol which took the edge off her pain, something I did not want to have to do but was the lesser of the two evils.

I would never do that again with a second baby if they weren't younger and less aware of what was going on. I would sooner burn my own mouth with a soldering iron. I'm drat glad our case is probably the outlier really bad one (the dentist's office was actually shocked at how badly she reacted to it) because I hope to god no one has to suffer like that ever. Even so I do think it helped a great deal with nursing--her upper lip used to pull in so badly when she nursed her nose would be squashed up against my boob and she'd suffocate herself, causing her to pop off and gasp for air constantly. Because her tongue was so restricted she'd chomp on the base of the nipple to try and stay latched, I had almost no skin left around the base of my nipples (the child health nurses actually thought I had vasospasm instead urgh). For reference I'm pretty sure nipples don't toughen up--they do not keratinize and callous up like your heels might training for a marathon. Best as I figure you just lose sensitivity in them. Feeding would be such an effort she'd fall asleep at the breast every single time without fail. If she hadn't been born robust (9 lb 3.5oz, >98th centile for length) she probably would have struggled even more than she did--as it was it still took over two weeks to regain birth weight (and I was feeding every 1.5 hours around the clock and my milk came in on day 3). Midwives/child health nurses handwaved it off because she was still gaining, irrespective of the fact her growth trend was decidedly flattening off instead of tracking along the WHO charts. Her jaundice took weeks and weeks to clear.

Again, maybe she turned a corner and her size/muscle coordination was the main driver for her feeding ability picking up and returning her to a normal growth trend. I don't know. But my nipples couldn't have taken much more punishment before I'd be reaching for a bottle--and losing that breastfeeding relationship would have been very sad for me. Maybe I'm being selfish, I don't know. I can't even tell if the kid particularly likes nursing, so there's a whole world of guilt there I could dip into on a rainy day if I felt like it. She's thriving now though, and generally a happy baby, something I'm very grateful for on a daily basis.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I guess the same could be said for just about any medical procedure. Take wisdom teeth, most people I talked to had a pretty easy time. I however woke up completely lucid in the middle of my procedure and felt everything. It was so traumatizing I had random panic attacks and would randomly burst into tears for weeks afterwards.

I'm sorry your lil one had such a painful experience. That must've been so scary to go through :(

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

E-Money posted:

Source please? You're the first person to say anything about a longer/more painful recovery and we're taking baby to the pediatric dentist this weekend.

I don't have research evidence to provide; my opinion is based on what I've seen in my clinical practice. It's also NOT medical advice, because I'm not treating your baby, but a recommendation to talk to your care provider about all the options available. I'm not aware of any research that's been done comparing the two procedures and can't make any statements about which is objectively better overall, but I'm a big believer in starting small and working one's way up when it comes to procedures.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

What's the percentage of newborns with a tongue tie or lip tie?

Between 4% and 10% of babies have some kind of tongue tie, so it's very common.

We do screen all babies for tongue tie as part of the newborn physical assessment, but there aren't firm diagnostic criteria, which means that what one person thinks is a tongue tie another might see as normal. There also isn't a universal consensus on how to manage a tongue tie when one is identified. For example, I would say the most commonly-used criterion for diagnosing ankyloglossia is that the baby can't extend the tongue past the gumline, but I've seen babies who can't do that and feed beautifully, and I've seen babies who can but are too tongue-tied to latch appropriately.

Here is the Canadian Paediatric Society's statement on ankyloglossia, which is pretty much what I follow in my practice. Their recommendation is to leave it alone unless it's causing problems, and they caution that there aren't enough data to recommend the laser if a tongue tie does need to be released.

Don't listen to a stranger from the internet when making medical decisions for yourself or your baby. Find a good care provider who has expert training in lactation and get their advice in person.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Dogfish posted:

I don't have research evidence to provide; my opinion is based on what I've seen in my clinical practice. It's also NOT medical advice, because I'm not treating your baby, but a recommendation to talk to your care provider about all the options available. I'm not aware of any research that's been done comparing the two procedures and can't make any statements about which is objectively better overall, but I'm a big believer in starting small and working one's way up when it comes to procedures.

Between 4% and 10% of babies have some kind of tongue tie, so it's very common.

We do screen all babies for tongue tie as part of the newborn physical assessment, but there aren't firm diagnostic criteria, which means that what one person thinks is a tongue tie another might see as normal. There also isn't a universal consensus on how to manage a tongue tie when one is identified. For example, I would say the most commonly-used criterion for diagnosing ankyloglossia is that the baby can't extend the tongue past the gumline, but I've seen babies who can't do that and feed beautifully, and I've seen babies who can but are too tongue-tied to latch appropriately.

Here is the Canadian Paediatric Society's statement on ankyloglossia, which is pretty much what I follow in my practice. Their recommendation is to leave it alone unless it's causing problems, and they caution that there aren't enough data to recommend the laser if a tongue tie does need to be released.

Don't listen to a stranger from the internet when making medical decisions for yourself or your baby. Find a good care provider who has expert training in lactation and get their advice in person.

Cool, thanks - I know you're not our doctor but thanks for the disclaimer! Pediatric dentist was recommended to us by our IBCLC as she said that a lot of the local providers who did the snips had issues and required multiple attempts. He's apparently an industry leader and is associated with NYU so his credentials are pretty on point. We're obviously going to talk to him about pros/cons and discuss aftercare and complications and make our own decisions. You were just literally the first person who had said anything about a longer recovery so I wanted to hear where you were getting that from.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Oh yeah if I were in a community where the docs doing frenectomies had crappy stats I too would probably go for the laser.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Postpartum nurse here. I've only seen referrals to pediatric dentists for laser procedures in my practice, and all the docs/midwives boast the shorter recovery time and say the laser is more precise/less painful than the alternative. My daughter had the procedure done too, and the recovery was nil. Breastfed her right after, and it greatly improved her latch. She didn't seem to mind the exercises that prevent reattachment. Of course, that's not always the case, and it's worth talking to your own providers about. We had the procedure done when she was a few weeks old because it started to interfere with breastfeeding, but lots of babies do fine without intervention.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Has anyone had success with B6 supplements in reducing nausea?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yes. I can't survive without them. I get like 5-10mg from vitamins and another 30mg from Diclegis.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Spadoink posted:

Has anyone had success with B6 supplements in reducing nausea?

They are good. They didn't work by themselves for me (I needed them combined with unisom), but that combo made me a functional human who could eat.

Unrelatedly, I woke up this morning between two giant boob-level wet spots. Given this has happened exactly zero times before in the two months I've been breastfeeding, should I be concerned? My left breast occasionally leaks while the right is in use, but nothing like this.

Seriously, boobs. You apparently took a baby from the 7th weight percentile to the 19th in 2 months. You have already proven yourselves.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

He was born at 1pm on 12/16 after about 12 hours of labor! They ended up needing to induce contractions with Cytotec since I wasn't having any contractions after 12 hours from my water breaking; it took two doses to get labor underway. Serious business contractions sucked a lot. Got an epidural at about 6cm and he was born a few hours later after. Only trouble he gave us was toward the end when the cord was getting crimped when I laid on my right side, so we had to deliver mostly on my left side and with my right side thus only half-numbed by the epidural.

But he's gorgeous, healthy, and has a incredible head of hair :)

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

Kerafyrm posted:

Congratulations! He is gorgeous! Those eyes and hair!!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
OMG he is so beautiful! Well done, mama.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

amethystbliss posted:

Postpartum nurse here. I've only seen referrals to pediatric dentists for laser procedures in my practice, and all the docs/midwives boast the shorter recovery time and say the laser is more precise/less painful than the alternative. My daughter had the procedure done too, and the recovery was nil. Breastfed her right after, and it greatly improved her latch. She didn't seem to mind the exercises that prevent reattachment. Of course, that's not always the case, and it's worth talking to your own providers about. We had the procedure done when she was a few weeks old because it started to interfere with breastfeeding, but lots of babies do fine without intervention.

Turns out our little guy had a pretty bad lip tie on top of the tongue tie. The laser procedure was super fast and it seemed like he hated getting in position more than the procedure itself. He was happily sucking in no time.

Glad we ended up going this route!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Friggen hormones. Decorating cookies and listening to a Christmas playlist with 'do you hear what I hear' and the line 'a child, a child, shivers in the cold' made me burst into tears

Kerafyrm posted:

He was born at 1pm on 12/16 after about 12 hours of labor! They ended up needing to induce contractions with Cytotec since I wasn't having any contractions after 12 hours from my water breaking; it took two doses to get labor underway. Serious business contractions sucked a lot. Got an epidural at about 6cm and he was born a few hours later after. Only trouble he gave us was toward the end when the cord was getting crimped when I laid on my right side, so we had to deliver mostly on my left side and with my right side thus only half-numbed by the epidural.

Ohhh my goodness wanna snuggle that baby!! So adorable, congrats!!!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Kerafyrm posted:

What a cutie!! Congratulations.

Friggen hormones. Decorating cookies and listening to a Christmas playlist with 'do you hear what I hear' and the line 'a child, a child, shivers in the cold' made me burst into tears

I confess that line makes me giggle, because it's followed by "Let us bring him silver and gold" and my immediate reaction is always, "...or a BLANKET. Try a BLANKET." I do mist up pretty bad these days at the Céline Dion version of "Noël Blanc" when she sings "Je revois tes yeux clairs, Maman/et je songe à d'autres Noëls blancs." drat you, estrogen!!!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
How to deal with absolutely no appetite? The thought of everything is awful to me

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

I want to see some goon babies for Christmas!

Would you accept New Years? We are due on the 31st

How to deal with absolutely no appetite? The thought of everything is awful to me

Something Positive couldn't eat much in her first trimester. She actually lost weight but the doctors said the baby wasn't in danger. Just hang in there :sympathy:

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
That was me for the first 20 weeks. Make sure to keep up with your prenatal vitamin, and whenever something sounds remotely good, find it and eat it ASAP. Hopefully it will pass. If you would be ok with any type of health shake, those can work, too.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Spiffster posted:

Would you accept New Years? We are due on the 31st

Something Positive couldn't eat much in her first trimester. She actually lost weight but the doctors said the baby wasn't in danger. Just hang in there :sympathy:

I'm 24 weeks as of yesterday :gonk: I hope this lets up because the past couple days I'm just...not hungry.

But yes, I shall accept New Years too :3:

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Ooohh, are we doing pictures now? I have Harriet pictures!

She likes making weird faces at me

jemsy
May 27, 2010

DOG EATS APPLE
:3:

I'm 24 weeks as of yesterday :gonk: I hope this lets up because the past couple days I'm just...not hungry.

But yes, I shall accept New Years too :3:

Due January 1st here! I've spent most of my pregnancy hanging out in the fb group, but I popped back in here today to peruse all the non-fb goon babies I've missed. This pregnancy has been mildly eventful (gestational diabetes, slightly elevated blood pressure in the last week or two, and now sleep apnea), but I'm fairly certain I lost part of my mucus plug this morning, so here's hoping!

I've had a slight loss in appetite toward the end here due to acid reflux/heartburn. I just remind myself "food is sustenance" and sort of force it down when I know I should. And I stick to bland foods. I know that's not the most helpful advice.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Kerafyrm posted:

Congratulations and goddamn that is the most hilariously adorable baby, please post pics of him with his hair all floofed up!!

I'm getting better at the old breastfeeding thing, the first couple of weeks were awful but we've settled into it now. I can see why people give up because it can be pretty brutal and painful on the boobs....

Our Kit (NORMAN) is 5 weeks old now. He is so cute and I can't stop staring at him....he's a big lad now, he's weighing 11 pounds 4 at the last measure. We went to a 'reunion' of my antenatal class and he was the second biggest- the biggest being the first baby born 5 weeks earlier. (Is this a humblebrag? IDK but he looked HUGE compared to some of the other babies!! Here's a picture since we're sharing (he's in the santa suit in the middle- the oldest baby is on the far left and they get younger down the line- the perspective makes the youngest look the biggest!)
:3:BABBYPILE:3:

and a solo pic

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Nbd just birthed a person on Saturday

Meet Daisy! Best Christmas present ever.

My husband took this one right after they plopped her on me and it pretty much makes me ugly cry with happiness every time I see it.

First night home last night!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

hypnotoad posted:

Nbd just birthed a person on Saturday

Meet Daisy! Best Christmas present ever.

My husband took this one right after they plopped her on me and it pretty much makes me ugly cry with happiness every time I see it.

First night home last night!

:3:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Oh my goodness look how darling she is, just perfect! And you're just glowing in that picture :3:. I love the name Daisy so much, it's so jovial

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
:3: all the lovely babies :3:

I got to see my blueberry's heartbeat yesterday. Also got a printout that shows pretty clearly that I'm gestating a cricket. Didn't realize until afterwards how scared I was that something would be wrong at this early stage, and how strongly I was needing to see the heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Such cutebabs itt.

40w3d here. Hurry the GD HELL HECK UP you little brat omggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg