Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you listen to the Theme of King JJ, you will find that he doesn't sound as confident as one would have expected before episode 11.

Poor JJ :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Tender Child Loins posted:

Are we supposed to know what was going on in Chris's flashback?

I think it's trying to emphasize that this could be one of his last, if not the last, season in skating because he's getting too old to qualify. He also actually does take his skating and rivalries seriously, even when his whole character has been written so that it's all jokes and fun and Chris on Ice on the outside. You could also take the revelation of Chris having a cat and glasses as a comparison with Victor: he has a poo poo-ton in common with Victor, including dear pets and anxiousness about aging and being "too good" at their sport for it to be fun or exciting anymore, and all the complex feelings that can create . Chris just kept on competing while Victor got off the ice. It's interesting to see many ways of trying to deal with these things.

Can't imagine something like "need to retire in my 30's" but that seems to be normal for sports, especially figure skating and ballet (not a competitive sport in the same way but early retirement regardless).

CryingAthena fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 15, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Adel posted:

I'm calling double shenanigans on that math :colbert: For one we only have partial knowledge of what their full routines consist of (and with JJ you get into the area of what was planned vs what was performed) and how well every single element was performed, so there is a lot of assuming going on. If we had full footage that was lovingly animated that would be another story, but we don't.

For two, during the kiss and cries, the show pointedly did not show the individual technical and performance scores and just gave us the combined scores (which is really all we need to know). So trying to reverse engineer what they would be is just asking for madness. The judging system is really (intentionally) complex and there are a lot of exceptions and qualifiers and then there's some inevitably bias from the judges that will raise/lower a score, etc etc.
Scores are based on math, not magic. We know what their routines are, we know what the maximum scores are, we know what the penalties are for screwing up jumps, and we know what the maximum PCS for a short program is.
The anime has fudged what year this is in (it seems to be a combination of several). The scoring system also seems to be one step removed, something that could be done with some tweaks of current point values.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

Hmm.. this twitter thread is a different take on the post-credits translation:

https://twitter.com/petitemistress/status/809158034198904832

That was honestly my thought as well but we'll see

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I still think they will end up together and it being raised as a cliffhanger that they might not in the penultimate episode doesn't change that.

I do think that watching Yurio exceed his world record confirmed to Victor that his career as a skater is really, actually, over though. (Edit: And also that this means that he must love Yuri for a reason *other* than his potential as a skater.) That's the expression that Yuri couldn't read.

Poor JJ.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 15, 2016

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Fangz posted:

I do think that watching Yurio exceed his world record confirmed to Victor that his career as a skater is really, actually, over though. That's the expression that Yuri couldn't read.
Yeah, the (lack of) expression struck me as melancholy. Victor is seeing the skating world move on without him and it's probably only now sinking in.
Yuri just sees Victor staring at the skaters and assumes Victor wishes he were back on the ice.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Maera Sior posted:

Scores are based on math, not magic. We know what their routines are, we know what the maximum scores are, we know what the penalties are for screwing up jumps, and we know what the maximum PCS for a short program is.
The anime has fudged what year this is in (it seems to be a combination of several). The scoring system also seems to be one step removed, something that could be done with some tweaks of current point values.

Was an official breakdown of their full routines released? I'm more than willing to be corrected but I'm really wary of fan - based interpretations just because it's hard to pinpoint every element in a routine when it's live, let alone animated and with multiple cutaways.

The scoring system involves a lot of math, but it isn'tpurely math. On the technical side, yeah it's pretty straight forward, you successfully do the move as defined and get a base amount of points. But a GOE +3 mark for one judge might be a GOE +1 for another, and judges can differ on how good/bad components are like choreography, which does require some level of subjectivity to get to a score. The end results are reached through pure math, but getting the numbers to plug into the formula isn't as cut and dry.

Of course this is moot if they are using a modified scoring system for the show, though to me I think the numbers are just barely within the bounds of the current system that I'll buy that they're using the current system as-is.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Adel posted:

Was an official breakdown of their full routines released? I'm more than willing to be corrected but I'm really wary of fan - based interpretations just because it's hard to pinpoint every element in a routine when it's live, let alone animated and with multiple cutaways.

The scoring system involves a lot of math, but it isn'tpurely math. On the technical side, yeah it's pretty straight forward, you successfully do the move as defined and get a base amount of points. But a GOE +3 mark for one judge might be a GOE +1 for another, and judges can differ on how good/bad components are like choreography, which does require some level of subjectivity to get to a score. The end results are reached through pure math, but getting the numbers to plug into the formula isn't as cut and dry.

Of course this is moot if they are using a modified scoring system for the show, though to me I think the numbers are just barely within the bounds of the current system that I'll buy that they're using the current system as-is.

We have the announcers and the previous routines. We know the quads they can do and what's required for the program. Even if Yurio got +3 on all his GOE, he still wouldn't have enough points with TES capped at 50. Likewise, JJ only performed two of his components, and even if they had been +3 he still wouldn't have enough.

Someone suggested that Yurio's arms over his head added substantially to the point value of his jumps. I could buy that as a change to the system. As to how JJ got that many points when he shouldn't have received any for his singles, clearly something is different.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Maera Sior posted:

We have the announcers and the previous routines. We know the quads they can do and what's required for the program. Even if Yurio got +3 on all his GOE, he still wouldn't have enough points with TES capped at 50. Likewise, JJ only performed two of his components, and even if they had been +3 he still wouldn't have enough.

Someone suggested that Yurio's arms over his head added substantially to the point value of his jumps. I could buy that as a change to the system. As to how JJ got that many points when he shouldn't have received any for his singles, clearly something is different.

Maybe the judges were moved?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I was kind of a fan of the underplayed innuendo in Chris' flashback, but I have no idea if that's a quirk of the translation or not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Celery Jello posted:

I was kind of a fan of the underplayed innuendo in Chris' flashback, but I have no idea if that's a quirk of the translation or not.

Care to explain?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

Care to explain?

When he's at his house and that guy arrives, he says "You always come early", or something to that effect.

I think. I'm not at home so I can't check.

I swear I don't normally look for stuff like that but if anyone was making a joke like that it'd be Chris.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Poor Chris. He puts up with so much.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Maera Sior posted:

Thanks for the responses, it seems like a definite case can be made for the points not adding up. I'm favoring the idea that they're using a system that's similar to the IRL one but modified enough to allow for the skaters to get higher points. Something as simple as raising the TES edit: component score cap might do it.

Celery Jello posted:

When he's at his house and that guy arrives, he says "You always come early", or something to that effect.

I would pet Chris' hilariously evil looking cat.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 15, 2016

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maera Sior posted:

Is that not standard in real-world skating? The announcer definitely mentioned that the arm above the head added difficulty to the jump during Yurio's routine, so that would be my conclusion but I wasn't sure if that was a real thing or not.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is that not standard in real-world skating? The announcer definitely mentioned that the arm above the head added difficulty to the jump during Yurio's routine, so that would be my conclusion but I wasn't sure if that was a real thing or not.

It's not standard, usually skaters cross their arms over their chest when they jump. A raised arm does add difficulty to his jump which would contribute towards his GOE mark and component score. It's impossible to say by how much, though it's safe to assume that Yurio got the full +3 for GOE (but he probably would've gotten that without the raised arm, that boy was unstoppable).

But it's increasingly looking like YOI's scoring system might be altered a bit so who knows :v

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Aren't there also bonus points you can get for innovative moves?

Yes thank you I knew I wasn't crazy.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I just realized that I was mixing up technical score (TES) and component score; TES isn't capped (outside of what human bodies are capable of), while it's the component score that caps at 50.

Celery Jello posted:

Aren't there also bonus points you can get for innovative moves?

The raised arm has been done before so it's not innovative, and because component scores are capped, they kinda have diminishing returns. Yurio's component score would've been at or just shy of the cap regardless of the raised arm (that was a godly performance) so actually its contribution would've been the fraction of a point he needed to hit cap or just kinda been wasted (that hurt to type).

Celery Jello posted:

Yes thank you I knew I wasn't crazy.

I didn't pick up on the innuendo until you pointed it out :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is very relevant to the thread:

http://lethesomething.tumblr.com/post/154508940051/anne-approves-this-is-exactly-what-you-think-it

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Georgi's new program is looking great.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I gotta say, I really loved the opening this episode. It really gets you pumped up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh poo poo, I made that

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can't believe I'm feeling sorry for JJ. Watching his fans still love him after his fall was a really surprising move—this show's power of empathy is strong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rand Brittain posted:

I can't believe I'm feeling sorry for JJ. Watching his fans still love him after his fall was a really surprising move—this show's power of empathy is strong.

yea the show taking JJ from 'ew go away straight boy' to 'oh my god I want to hug him' in just a few minutes was genuinely fantastic.

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014
JJ should skate to that one annoying Coldplay song that was everywhere in 2008.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh poo poo, I made that

You made a good thing :)

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Someone should stick a logo on top of this that reads

Yuri on Smirnoff Ice

That's my joke, thanks for listening

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/chuchulanont/status/809503463126269952

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
That's what I was wondering about in the flashback! Is that Chris's boyfriend, or...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tender Child Loins posted:

That's what I was wondering about in the flashback! Is that Chris's boyfriend, or...

well his coach is the bald guy so i'm assuming they're dating.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I'm glad JJ is winning people over, that's mah boy :kimchi: Really hoping he'll regain his confidence and give the FS of his life.

I keep getting JJ'S THEME stuck in my head, it's obnoxiously catchy (just like him).

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I actually still don't like JJ.

Also, Johnny apparently doesn't like JJ and Chris.
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/809535893425963008

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I look in the mirror and the king looks back at me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

yeah, jj can disappear off the face of the earth. chris is adorable though and might be beating yuri for my fave.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

dogsicle posted:

yeah, jj can disappear off the face of the earth. chris is adorable though and might be beating yuri for my fave.

I didn't like Chris until we found out what happened at the banquet. Now I completely understand why he acted why he did.

Maybe the cute guy is his secondary coach?

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Maera Sior posted:

Haha he ended up binging it :allears: In my dream S2 they would invite him to act as a guest commentator.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Adel posted:

Haha he ended up binging it :allears: In my dream S2 they would invite him to act as a guest commentator.

Don't they have Oda Nobunari acting as one of the commentators? I swear I heard one of them refer to the other as "Oda" and "Nobu" early on and I wondered if the VA was the actual skater, or someone playing him. No one else seems to have noticed, so I might be hallucinating.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Viola the Mad posted:

Don't they have Oda Nobunari acting as one of the commentators? I swear I heard one of them refer to the other as "Oda" and "Nobu" early on and I wondered if the VA was the actual skater, or someone playing him. No one else seems to have noticed, so I might be hallucinating.

Yeah they had Oda on, it was a really nice touch and added to YOI's sense of authenticity. Though I guess that means Oda is canon now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pray for the finale

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/809443106424836098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

dogsicle posted:

pray for the finale

Well, the bluray with that episode should appear on june 2017.

• Locked thread