Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

he dies?!?!?

All characters die, friend. sorry you had to hear it from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

All characters die, friend. sorry you had to hear it from me
OTOH, that means he'll probably become a skeleton sometime soon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anime dogs only live to about 15 anime years

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
how many human years is that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pierzak posted:

Please don't tell me someone made a WW2 game with no-to-limited faction bias and that reflects the different forge org systems of the time. My wallet doesn't need any more harm atm.
Is it 15mm or 28mm?

You can play in either easily, I have 28mm mans and 15mm mans I'm intending to use for it. It's a real neat game.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Moola posted:

how many human years is that?

Depends on your frame skip settings.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i got worried he was gonna get killed for no reason geez!

heck!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh my god there's a cat in this episode!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Picked up a copy of Battletech from my FLGS for a fairly reasonable price. I also took some of the advice in the thread and ordered a copy of Walking dead with the thought that I'd take it with me as a backup, if my nephew doesn't like the other and if he does I have a bunch of friends who are into the show who might want to play it.

Cheers for the advice. This really is the good thread.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I had the anime dog before he died. My brother wants an anime dog again.

Ive been watching re:zero. It's a great horror/drama series. It's bloodborne the anime.
If re:zero is good in your bizarro universe then Age of Sigmar must be double mega plus good.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
aos is mega plus good though

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Chain of Command is the best WW2 ruleset I've played, and I know a lot of grogs who have dragged me out for WW2 games.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Skinty McEdger posted:

Picked up a copy of Battletech from my FLGS for a fairly reasonable price. I also took some of the advice in the thread and ordered a copy of Walking dead with the thought that I'd take it with me as a backup, if my nephew doesn't like the other and if he does I have a bunch of friends who are into the show who might want to play it.

Cheers for the advice. This really is the good thread.

There are two things you need to remember about Battletech for teenagers:
1) Giant robot battles are loving awesome
2) They have the patience for filling in little circles of damage for every shot fired.

It's an old system. It's a crunchy system. It's not a bad system. The introductory box is a fantastic way to get into the hobby since, as I said, the models are good to go and you don't really need to worry about painting them, the maps are fantastic, and the rules in the box are straightforward. You can go nuts getting PDFs and 'Mech designing software, but you don't have to. But all that stuff is there if you want it. If he enjoys it, then the door is open and there are a million different games to play.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Moola posted:

i got worried he was gonna get killed for no reason geez!

heck!

It's not for no reason, Jet buys an AoS starter to play with Spike and Ein eats all the models to save them from it

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TKIY posted:

Chain of Command is the best WW2 ruleset I've played, and I know a lot of grogs who have dragged me out for WW2 games.
:same:
I'd played a number of super-groggy systems, like WWII micro-armor. I tried Bolt Action and found it to be WW40K, highly unsatisfying. I looked into Flames of War, and it was worse. Any historical game in which "list building" is a thing is probably not so good.

Chain of Command uses the force organizations and doctrines of the period. The "national special rules" are limited and tend to have a subtle effect, but really reflect the doctrine, equipment, and training of the forces in question (such as the semi-automatic rifle being central to the US practice of "marching fire", or the German practice of putting the squad NCO in charge of directing the fire of the MG34/42 team). It also breaks the IGO-UGO mechanic and has a really neat unit activation system that actually lets you play the game solo. It can be played at whatever scale you want, but 15/20/28mm are most common. I went with 28mm, just because it's so easy to get minis.

I avoided WWII historicals like the plague for years, knowing that my wallet would take a hit. Chain of Command broke me. You stand forwarned.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I do want to find a decent micro-armour game, honestly; they tend to be either generic or bytazine.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Say I'd like to play chain if command with maybe a squad or two and like a single tank. Could I do this and it be fun good and balanced?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Saalkin posted:

Say I'd like to play chain if command with maybe a squad or two and like a single tank. Could I do this and it be fun good and balanced?

The starting point of a chain of command force is a platoon but you could probably demo it with a squad and a tank if you want.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

spectralent posted:

I do want to find a decent micro-armour game, honestly; they tend to be either generic or bytazine.

Blitzkrieg Commander is good for 6mm, 2mm would probably be a bit unnecessary depending on how "micro" your armour is. Double fun for being based off of Warmaster and thus making a good game out of GW's castoffs.

Only issue is that infantry anti-tank weapons are ridiculously overpriced, the cost should be like halved.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's not for no reason, Jet buys an AoS starter to play with Spike and Ein eats all the models to save them from it

rip good dog

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

You know there's service dogs that can detect cancer? There should be dogs that can detect if someone is about to give GW money.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Bistromatic posted:

In a similar vein i had some great fun with Aye, Dark Overlord.

One player is the Dark Overlord, everyone else plays their incompetent goblin minions who just returned from a failed mission. The minion players use cards to introduce natrative elements to explain why it's not their fault the mission failed and to pass blame around the table while in Overlord can interject at any point, ask follow-up questions and decides who's responsible in the end.

Like Once Upon a time it requires everyone to be on the same page but if you have a good group it's a great game.

This is straight out of the rebel grots fluff from Gorkamorka and I love it

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mars Attacks might not be the best bet, the game is alright but it's a dead game. They haven't released anything new for it in almost 2 years and it looks like Mantic is just selling through existing stock.

True, but it's still a very good and fun beginners wargame/boardgame-hybrid. Also they're supposed to be converting the Mars Attacks armies to Deadzone 2 at the moment so they'll live on there!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Terrible Opinions posted:

If re:zero is good in your bizarro universe then Age of Sigmar must be double mega plus good.
Subaru's rejection of Rem was beautiful. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way, friend.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Ilor posted:

:same:
I'd played a number of super-groggy systems, like WWII micro-armor. I tried Bolt Action and found it to be WW40K, highly unsatisfying. I looked into Flames of War, and it was worse. Any historical game in which "list building" is a thing is probably not so good.

Chain of Command uses the force organizations and doctrines of the period. The "national special rules" are limited and tend to have a subtle effect, but really reflect the doctrine, equipment, and training of the forces in question (such as the semi-automatic rifle being central to the US practice of "marching fire", or the German practice of putting the squad NCO in charge of directing the fire of the MG34/42 team). It also breaks the IGO-UGO mechanic and has a really neat unit activation system that actually lets you play the game solo. It can be played at whatever scale you want, but 15/20/28mm are most common. I went with 28mm, just because it's so easy to get minis.

I avoided WWII historicals like the plague for years, knowing that my wallet would take a hit. Chain of Command broke me. You stand forwarned.

You can easily play it with 1/72 scale and it's good.

So many options there it's not funny.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Saalkin posted:

We started out playing with small platoons and minimum support, so around 3 squads of around ten men in each, to figure out the rules. The game is really built around the platoon size, and that remains the sweet spot for playing CoC.

As we've grown our collection of WW2 minis at the club, it's not really that we play with bigger armies, it's that we buy more options, or double of some options for multiplayer games, and so on. There's no NEED to get all the different tanks and toys, but that's what we end up doing, because it's fun. You still want your 1-on-1 games to be a platoon vs another platoon, which is almost always 3-4 squads, and usually you can afford 2-3 support options on top depending on scenario.

One or even two squad will probably be too small, as you don't really get any use of the activation system until you have a few different options on the table. But three squads and maybe an MMG, a mortar or a tank is a perfectly normal size for CoC. A perfect start would be to pick up a single plastic infantry box from Warlord or Perry, as you'll be set to start our your platoon.

And then you'll want some tanks.

And then you'll want some artillery pieces, but only as interesting terrain pieces, because they don't do anything on the table since you're not playing BA or FoW, so artillery is actually positioned miles behind your lines and instead of firing mortar shells at targets within spitting distance you deploy forward observers who crawl around trying to spot the enemy and give commands to your artillery by dialing in their fire, because you're playing a WW2 game and not WH40K

And then you'll want some more infantry because who knows when you'll throw down an eight player game?

And that means you need more tanks, because you can't field your grey tanks when you're playing North Africa

And then you wake up finding yourself clutching a history book about the French invasion of Russia in 1813 that you got to find out what the proper uniform colours of the Dragoon regiments that took part at Borodino would be, desperately wondering where you went wrong in your life

Historicals. Not even once.

Crimson. The proper facing colour of the 7th Dragoon regiment, which fought in Grouchy's cavalry corps, is crimson, making the uniform colours green, white, and crimson

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

And then you'll want some artillery pieces, but only as interesting terrain pieces, because they don't do anything on the table since you're not playing BA or FoW, so artillery is actually positioned miles behind your lines and instead of firing mortar shells at targets within spitting distance you deploy forward observers who crawl around trying to spot the enemy and give commands to your artillery by dialing in their fire, because you're playing a WW2 game and not WH40K

This can work if your scales are right!

Scales are often not right.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Heh in Bolt Action it's totally silly to have arty parks, but I like firing over open sights at buildings!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Subaru's rejection of Rem was beautiful. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way, friend.
That depends on if the comedy of the situation was intentional or unintentional.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Opinions posted:

That depends on if the comedy of the situation was intentional or unintentional.

So far Re:Zero is pretty average. Unless the main character gets a stand sometime it only seems one step away from those lovely harem animes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LordAba posted:

So far Re:Zero is pretty average. Unless the main character gets a stand sometime it only seems one step away from those lovely harem animes.

:wtc: are you on

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
reminder that only like 10% of animes are good

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed: Much like all forms of media

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
In a moment of weakness I bought my kids their first Gundams for Xmas. DeathscytheH for my boy and BearguyP for my daughter.

I have become what I hated.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: Much like all forms of media

:yeah:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

TKIY posted:

In a moment of weakness I bought my kids their first Gundams for Xmas. DeathscytheH for my boy and BearguyP for my daughter.

I have become what I hated.

But Gundams are so cool!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I got a Gundam in the TG secret santa, it's a HG Hyakuren!

Apparently it's from a recent series called Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS :black101:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Secret hint: everyone's blood has got iron in it, it wouldn't work without it

Also, anime is bad, much like how games workshop is bad. Like GW, you can maybe point to one or two things where you can say "hey this is not so bad, in fact it's sort of cool and good" but doing so does not suddenly make GW not a poo poo company. Similarly, anime is still poo poo medium.

Think of how much better a GW thing would be if a non-GW company made it instead. For example, do you like warhammer fantasy? Look how much better it is when it's a Total War game made by someone else. Imagine how much better Mordheim or Epic or Blood Bowl would be, if it wasn't GW!

Similarly, if there is an anime that is good... maybe Cowboy Bebop is good. Well, it would be better if it wasn't anime. The animeness actually detracts from the goodness of the thing.

Because, and I feel I need to reiterate this to drive my point home, anime is bad.

Of course, my friends, you may disagree with me, and that's OK. I suggest you go to the anime forum and post about how great anime is, because there are a lot of people there in the anime forum who are eager to discuss it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I got a Gundam in the TG secret santa, it's a HG Hyakuren!

Apparently it's from a recent series called Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS :black101:

Despite the name, do not watch the show. While there is a character who lives the space harem merchant dream, the shows authors do not understand at a fundamental level what a coup is or how writing a story works.

There is a fat guy named Biscuit, though.

• Locked thread