Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

Here's my hot take: Latinx people who are white will eventually, probably soon, be accepted as white, and Latinx people who are black, mestizo, indigenous, or biracial will continue to be not-white and treated like poo poo.

Regarding the whole "whites are terrible" business, it's probably true way more often than not, so the whole "well NOT ALL [X]" reflex that comes up every time a privileged group is criticized is pretty tiring. Even white people who are generally opposed to racism usually only do it when it's convenient to them, and not when it would actually affect them negatively to do so (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone). If you're white, your ego should not be so fragile that you can't critically examine your own actions and attitudes without having a whiny breakdown. Imagine what would happen if you faced racial bias that actually made the faintest loving difference to your life, like non-white people do!

A white person who says "all white people are terrible" isn't examining their own actions and attitudes. If they were, they would be saying, "I am terrible". When a white person says all white people are terrible, it's at best just a meaningless, powerless complaint. Traffic sucks, movie tickets are too expensive, white people are terrible. At worst it's performative self-flagellation. Look at me, in my wokeness I can see the indelible stain of whiteness on my soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

A white person who says "all white people are terrible" isn't examining their own actions and attitudes. If they were, they would be saying, "I am terrible". When a white person says all white people are terrible, it's at best just a meaningless, powerless complaint. Traffic sucks, movie tickets are too expensive, white people are terrible. At worst it's performative self-flagellation. Look at me, in my wokeness I can see the indelible stain of whiteness on my soul.

Yes. I see this all the time with friends who will happily say "God I hate cops" or react to politics with a "man white people are really loving up the country", but then somehow they are totally in favor of education finance reform (despite disproportionately helping white schools) and don't seem to think it's a problem that they can get away with illegally tinted windows on their car while this is an excuse for the police to pull over and harass a black person (I actually got called an SJW in real life by a coworker for pointing that one out, lol).

There's a difference between recognizing, in general, that white people are loving everyone else over and recognizing that you, in particular, are not the one innocent white bystander who is totally not contributing to the problem. This seems like an intractable problem in terms of getting grown adults to recognize this about themselves. You can help kids not think this way, but it would involve actually teaching the history of race in America in a far more nuanced and critical way than "Lincoln freed the slaves, MLK said nice words that got them rights, and now Jay-Z is super rich go America!"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey you know what would be loving cool is if people shut up about white people and latinx people who are not black people in this thread about black people. You guys literally have the entire rest of the site to go be white and have your white feelings on. We get exactly two threads, and they are both poo poo up constantly.

Actual loving #notallwhites in here, are you people loving serious. Pretty tired of hearing how Negromancer's the arbiter of blackness too.

Not a Step posted:

You will *never* get white people to engage en masse in the way you want, no matter what you do, because they don't have to and nothing will ever change that. You might get *some* to come to your side, but odds are they're going to be obnoxious in other ways and be equally incapable of connecting with whites as a whole. If you invoke racial identity eventually they will remember that the white racial identity is 'in control of everything and doesn't have to listen to anyone else'.

So, uh, you might need some new tactics.

Shut this nonsense. Don't come in here and "uh" at black posters.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

arbiter of blackness

This is a pretty cool loving name though.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yes. I see this all the time with friends who will happily say "God I hate cops" or react to politics with a "man white people are really loving up the country", but then somehow they are totally in favor of education finance reform (despite disproportionately helping white schools) and don't seem to think it's a problem that they can get away with illegally tinted windows on their car while this is an excuse for the police to pull over and harass a black person (I actually got called an SJW in real life by a coworker for pointing that one out, lol).

There's a difference between recognizing, in general, that white people are loving everyone else over and recognizing that you, in particular, are not the one innocent white bystander who is totally not contributing to the problem. This seems like an intractable problem in terms of getting grown adults to recognize this about themselves. You can help kids not think this way, but it would involve actually teaching the history of race in America in a far more nuanced and critical way than "Lincoln freed the slaves, MLK said nice words that got them rights, and now Jay-Z is super rich go America!"

Yes. There's a difference between

"Men are fuckin trash" and "Men have historically been trash, and I have contributed to being trash due to patriarchal standards placed upon me as a man, to which I must unlearn if I want to try to make the world a better place for 51% of the earths population I may potentially interact with."

A lot of people don't take that second step into owning their privilege out loud and how they play a role in it. They just do the brownie points first step of agreeing with PoC when we say how white people are the worst (y'all are, y'all apply the bar of soap directly to your skin instead of using washcloths and loofahs, and that's not okay).

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

This is a pretty cool loving name though.

Next name change incoming!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

There's a difference between recognizing, in general, that white people are loving everyone else over and recognizing that you, in particular, are not the one innocent white bystander who is totally not contributing to the problem.

There is only so much any one individual can do though.

Vote Democrat where possible (still flawed, since all of the non-Presidential elections at the local level are filled with unopposed incumbent Republicans so I end up only actually casting a vote for Presidential races, but better than ever giving Republicans any consideration)? Done.

Call out family and friends whenever they do something racist that even my dumb white perspective sees as racist? I do this as much as I can (whenever I see it happening, though I still have to question just how much I'm missing).

That is about all that can actually be done at an individual level.

Participating in protests is at best seen as being condescending because you're the white guy protesting with black people trying to be the white savior/martyr, so you're hosed for wanting to help that way (assuming for even one second that peaceful protests are at all effective given how nothing has been accomplished by peaceful protests in recent memory).

You get the same reception if you ask your local activist groups what you can do to help.

Hell, even asking what you can do gets a "gently caress you, gently caress off, you're the problem" response and it's no real wonder that most people eventually throw up their hands and say "Ok, gently caress you too, then, I'm going back to focusing on just my personal life." because it's very easy to do.

Yeah, most of the time when a white person says "all white people are terrible" it's a meaningless powerless complaint because the specific white individual that says it is living in a meaningless, powerless position in life.

By virtue of white privilege I make just enough money to support myself and buy the occasional book/keep internet service going for entertainment, but coming from the poor segment of the white population it isn't as if I have open access to pathways to get Rich. My life is about as good as it's going to get, but considering how I don't have to worry about getting murdered by cops just for going about my business that's still pretty good--and that's where my problem with it comes in.

That expectation should be normal for everyone of every race, but I have no real idea of what I can do on a personal level to effect that change.

Yes, my life is better than literally any PoC simply because I have lighter colored skin.

What can I do about it, though? Why am I wrong for telling a concern/tone troll that their No True Scotsman argument about White America is wrong?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

negromancer posted:

Next name change incoming!

No no no, custom av and title. "Negromancer, Arbiter of Blackness" has a nice flow to it.

poo poo, now I have to find an avatar that makes that work.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Raerlynn posted:

No no no, custom av and title. "Negromancer, Arbiter of Blackness" has a nice flow to it.

Probably find something in the whitest of white things, Warhammer fanart.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Raerlynn posted:

Maybe some kind of color swatches?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Probably find something in the whitest of white things, Warhammer fanart.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
This reminds me. Someone on Twitter was posting screenshots from nazi fucks saying to make fake black accounts to sow discord and dissent. I'm honestly assuming it's the same here.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it's a verbal safety pin.

"All white people are terrible" is a misnomer because all people are equal. The ratio of terrible white people to non-terrible white people is the exact same as terrible black people to non-terrible black people. A human is a human.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

foobardog posted:

This reminds me. Someone on Twitter was posting screenshots from nazi fucks saying to make fake black accounts to sow discord and dissent. I'm honestly assuming it's the same here.

yeah thats basically whats been going on with the avatars. we've talked about this in the misogynoir thread too. Some racists (that we probably ran out of here) are all up in their feelings.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Koalas March posted:

yeah thats basically whats been going on with the avatars. we've talked about this in the misogynoir thread too. Some racists (that we probably ran out of here) are all up in their feelings.

It's kind of funny because you can tell they don't really understand what people are talking about so they come off tone-deaf. They're hateful, but they aren't good at it.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, most of the time when a white person says "all white people are terrible" it's a meaningless powerless complaint because the specific white individual that says it is living in a meaningless, powerless position in life.

I think there's an an argument to be made for white supremacy valuing whiteness more than white people and white people having much more ability to keep their head down and do fine than to stick their head up and do something, but unless I am flat out told such, I don't think this is the time or place. TB's right in my estimation, and I deleted a longer post earlier because of it.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 15, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

It's not enough that we segregate the black people off to their own threads, we also have to poo poo all over them while doing it!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just so surprised that people think Putin influencing the gently caress out the US elections is just so so impossible.

Like it's beyond belief to them a master KGB spy who seized control of his own country can't manipulate a bunch of racist chucklefucks who think learning and logic is for libtard cucks.

And I honestly don't understand where this doubt comes from? Is it white American exceptionalism?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

negromancer posted:

I'm just so surprised that people think Putin influencing the gently caress out the US elections is just so so impossible.

Like it's beyond belief to them a master KGB spy who seized control of his own country can't manipulate a bunch of racist chucklefucks who think learning and logic is for libtard cucks.

And I honestly don't understand where this doubt comes from? Is it white American exceptionalism?

Conservative obsession with winning, liberal obsession with respectability.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

The idea that you need a Russian mastermind to trick Americans into voting for a racist demagogue feels more like exceptionalism to me to be honest.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Part white American-exceptionalism and part whatever you'd call being unable to go back and make the argument after spending so much time talking about how it was impossible to rig the election.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

The idea that you need a Russian mastermind to trick Americans into voting for a racist demagogue feels more like exceptionalism to me to be honest.

True enough. It's the fact that there's so much doubt that a country that has it clearly in their current best interests to undermine American hegemony would give a nudge to electing someone wildly embarrassing to our position in the world is somehow a bridge too far.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's not really that hard to manipulate an election tbh. US has been doing it to other countries for decades.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rush Limbo posted:

The thing is, though, that "whiteness" isn't really a designation of race, it's a designation of power, and who has it. I'm not white. I can pass as white though, and I've had to because otherwise things in life would be closed off to me, often for good. I can't really openly practice my culture because of this. Many of the things that pass for normal in white society are completely denied to me.

A good example is the whole genealogy trend. I will never, ever be able to make a family tree, because the documentation that is required to even start doesn't exist. The only thing I have to go on is an oral history, which isn't going to be around forever. Most of my ancestors, due to their culture and their status outside of white society, might as well have not existed. I will never get to learn about their lives, their achievements etc.

The white club also changes its boundaries quite a lot. See: Irish, Slavs etc.

They were not treated as white until they got political capital and then hey presto the door was open.
This is where the resident genealogy nerd comes in and says 'yes you can!' Because thanks to DNA and lots of records opening up/getting put online, its difficult but not impossible to do this. If you're truly interested PM me and I'll see what I can do.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

It's not really that hard to manipulate an election tbh. US has been doing it to other countries for decades.

To be fair though, we were more like a hammer than a scalpel. It's hella easy to manipulate an election if you can pretty much kill or silence any dissenting voices without repercussions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

To be fair there's some internal policy paper from the late 90's Putin government that specifically outlines the long term goals of Russia should be to do everything it can to break up the EU, specially get the UK out by stoking right wing nationalism. It also says the best way to weaken the US is to support white supremacists and nationalists while also sowing rumours and misinformation to discredit the democratic system and people's faith in the government as an institution to pave the way for more radical politicians to gain power and gently caress everything up. From the US to the EU Russia has being financing and supporting racist right wing nationalists and pushing out effective propaganda via RT and it's troll army. Putin's troll machine was in full gear on reddit and 4chan and all those lovely places going pro-trump and pro-russia. They basically created this "Hillary wants cold war with Russia, Trump wants peace! Hillary will start WWIII and drag USA into dangerous global conflicts, Trump just wants to make america great again" narrative from whole cloth too. Russian propaganda is excellent because they manage to court and target both right wing nationalist white supremacists and chomsky style "america bad!" leftists at the same time often with the same propaganda and get the racists out voting and the leftists staying at home. Throughout the entire election cycle Russian disinformation was 100% on-message that Hillary is the establishment war-mongering imperialist. That's just their propaganda, then there's the actual hacking to help fuel their anti-hillary campaign.

The election was very tight, I would not at all discount Russia's effects or underestimate how deep their propaganda and disinformation network goes.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair there's some internal policy paper from the late 90's Putin government that specifically outlines the long term goals of Russia should be to do everything it can to break up the EU, specially get the UK out by stoking right wing nationalism. It also says the best way to weaken the US is to support white supremacists and nationalists while also sowing rumours and misinformation to discredit the democratic system and people's faith in the government as an institution to pave the way for more radical politicians to gain power and gently caress everything up. From the US to the EU Russia has being financing and supporting racist right wing nationalists and pushing out effective propaganda via RT and it's troll army. Putin's troll machine was in full gear on reddit and 4chan and all those lovely places going pro-trump and pro-russia. They basically created this "Hillary wants cold war with Russia, Trump wants peace! Hillary will start WWIII and drag USA into dangerous global conflicts, Trump just wants to make america great again" narrative from whole cloth too. Russian propaganda is excellent because they manage to court and target both right wing nationalist white supremacists and chomsky style "america bad!" leftists at the same time often with the same propaganda and get the racists out voting and the leftists staying at home. Throughout the entire election cycle Russian disinformation was 100% on-message that Hillary is the establishment war-mongering imperialist. That's just their propaganda, then there's the actual hacking to help fuel their anti-hillary campaign.

The election was very tight, I would not at all discount Russia's effects or underestimate how deep their propaganda and disinformation network goes.

That's what I'm saying. Russia is in a lot of ways still a superpower. Obviously not as a major player as they were pre-USSR breakup, but they didn't just fall from number 2 to number 100 in the world.

Their intelligence services were always top-tier.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

negromancer posted:

I really think it doesn't go further than "we won the Cold War so they must have bad spies".

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

foobardog posted:

I really think it doesn't go further than "we won the Cold War so they must have bad spies".

Which makes zero sense and shows literally fuckall understanding of the cold war beyond "the USA is awesome and they aren't hence why we won", which circles back to the original question of exceptionalism.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

foobardog posted:

Was it this?

https://twitter.com/thelollcano/status/809169591914135560

Those accounts are way easy to spot.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Nope! It was a how-to guide:

https://twitter.com/daniecal/status/808758514734796800

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, amazing that people who go out of their way to avoid any interaction with blackness outside of what's pretty much pushed by mass media can't even do a passable presentation of it.

Meanewhile black people can code switch like you wouldn't believe. My work voice is amazingly white lol

e: The white people got all the time in the world to do this the same ones telling black people they need to get jobs. Comedy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I feel like this might actually be more racist than just a bog-standard white supremacist account. Spreading racial hatred and revealing their stereotyped assumption that black people are inarticulate gangsters who can't string together coherent sentences.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I PM'd FactsAreUseless because while I'm glad to take one on the chin if I make a lovely post, I feel like this one is just straight up harassing me based on my actual heritage and I'm feeling more and more upset about it as I sit here. Like some faceless, outside-the-thread racist, is calling me an Uncle Tom because I'm not the right kind of mixed-race for them I guess? Sorry my dad was pale and that passed on to me?

edit: Aaaand FactsAreUseless fixed it. Apparently the current system doesn't allow them to see which user is buying avatars and this is something they are planning to fix in the new software so they can actually punish people who are using them to harass. A good interaction with the moderation team.

I brought up this very issue in QCS and all I got for my troubles was this crappy redtext.

Hey you know what would be loving cool is if people shut up about white people and latinx people who are not black people in this thread about black people. You guys literally have the entire rest of the site to go be white and have your white feelings on. We get exactly two threads, and they are both poo poo up constantly.

An accurate recreation of the black American experience.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 15, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

That's fascinating, seriously, but it is not about loving black people. This thread isn't a secret underground USPOL replacement. Make a thread about this, it's interesting, but everyone stop using this thread like it's just empty space you can take over for whatever you want, because poo poo doesn't automatically belong to you just because you like it, white people.

And gently caress you gfc for chasing all the black people out for insufficient darkitude and then encouraging derails like this.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

And gently caress you gfc for chasing all the black people out for insufficient darkitude.

Yes: that is a real dick move.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I was a little surprised to hear that Roof got convicted, but there's still time for the sentencing to be terrible, I suppose.

After Malhuer, I don't have a whole lot of faith in juries.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 15, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

That's fascinating, seriously, but it is not about loving black people. This thread isn't a secret underground USPOL replacement. Make a thread about this, it's interesting, but everyone stop using this thread like it's just empty space you can take over for whatever you want, because poo poo doesn't automatically belong to you just because you like it, white people.

And gently caress you gfc for chasing all the black people out for insufficient darkitude and then encouraging derails like this.

Yeah, because that's what I was saying all along, right? Couldn't possibly be the case that you misinterpreted anything.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Back on track:

Is it just me or are cinematic universes getting significantly blacker? I mean the MCU went from pretty much everyone being white, to having more black people than I would have ever anticipated actually getting screen time and not being present for 3 minutes then dying.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Yeah, because that's what I was saying all along, right? Couldn't possibly be the case that you misinterpreted anything.

This poo poo is written down, dude. Don't even try that poo poo. And you can thank me for blacking up movies because that's literally my loving job, even though I'm tainted with the cracker blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People flipped out that Idris Elba played Heimdall but I thought he was metal as gently caress in the role.

• Locked thread