Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

paranoid randroid posted:

Elon Musk always struck me as insane in a Howard Hughes kind of way, as opposed to Peter Thiel who strikes me as insane in the same way as that one Nazi woman who made lampshades out of people

I think he husband made those. But she would pick out the uh, leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rich siliconval sociopaths are sociopaths, amazing!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

also Obama has been a huge disappointment to me, I mean I didn't exactly expect the government to ever be useful or effective but you'd think the first black president would give more of a poo poo than he actually did

It's just so frustrating that the democratic leadership left out the long con. Here we are with almost no power in federal government, no clear vectors to get that power, a fractured democratic party, massively expanded executive branch under a republican president and then a ton of policy implemented via executive orders. If there is a time to be anxious for us this is it

edit: forgot about the Scalia vacancy, how did we not make hay out of that? Hopefully Ginsburg can hold on for 4 years!

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Elon Musk is a grade A gently caress boy.

If it comes to it and we decide to go for a random rich famous person to run in 2020, I would like to nominate... Jon Stewart! Or Conan. Hold them hostage and force them to fill out the paperwork.

It has become apparent that celebrity is the biggest advantage an aspiring president can have, and if we need to get the young people to turn out to vote...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
between Elon Musk and Peter Thiel, one of them will try to convince Trump to build a big stupid pneumatic people-cannon, the other will try to convince him to legalize walking around in public drinking from a childs heart like a capri sun

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Mixodorian posted:

Elon Musk is a grade A gently caress boy.

If it comes to it and we decide to go for a random rich famous person to run in 2020, I would like to nominate... Jon Stewart! Or Conan. Hold them hostage and force them to fill out the paperwork.

It has become apparent that celebrity is the biggest advantage an aspiring president can have, and if we need to get the young people to turn out to vote...

Conan just moved to my town last year. I'll see if I can corner him in the supermarket.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Enkmar posted:

It's just so frustrating that the democratic leadership left out the long con. Here we are with almost no power in federal government, no clear vectors to get that power, a fractured democratic party, massively expanded executive branch under a republican president and then a ton of policy implemented via executive orders. If there is a time to be anxious for us this is it

edit: forgot about the Scalia vacancy, how did we not make hay out of that? Hopefully Ginsburg can hold on for 4 years!

I personally will stay shook until such time as reality demonstrates that I should no longer be shook

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Zikan posted:

he's just as much of a sociopath as the rest of them, read about how he horribly treated his first wife (or don't if you want to have something resembling a good day)

oh ive no doubt Musk sucks terribly, im just not actively freaked out by him like i am certain other SV people

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No one will ever taint my love for Bill Gates, the worst thing he ever did in his life was steal an idea from Steve Jobs which Steve Jobs stole from someone else

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OWLS! posted:

This kind of attitude amazes me considering that Obama did *nothing* to roll back government surveillance, and the major government demands for client/user data actually started happening during the obama years.

Liberals are blind to any bad stuff happening when 'liberals' are in charge. Its a thing.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

loquacius posted:

"Hillary Clinton is the best choice to win in November because the decades of Republican opposition to her have 'vetted' her already, and none of the scandals they've tried to pin on her have ever slowed her down!"

*Hillary Clinton loses election because of scandals*

I thought she was the best choice because she did so good in the south

*Proceeds to lose every state in the south, bigly*

Serf
May 5, 2011

bill gates seemed cool until he compared Trump to JFK

dude sucks now and is bad

the foundation is still legit tho

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
steve jobs was an rear end in a top hat and the fact that silicon valley idolizes him says everything you need to know, even if you knew nothing else

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mixodorian posted:

I really wonder if Obama even thought about pardoning him. Part of me thinks he did but was afraid of being seen as "the negroes are teaming up", and the other thinks it never even crossed his mind. No idea which is worse.

Obama NEVER stuck out his neck even a millimeter when black Americans specifically needed help. The usual response to that I get is the My Brothers Keeper program but that really ain't poo poo.

On top of that, black politicians didn't pressure him to do the right thing when presented with the opportunity either, so the blame isnt only on him.

It was especially frustrating because all he had to do was commute the death sentence, but he was probably thinking about re-election.

There's a lot to be said about the "Professional Black Leadership Class," but it's important to contextualize it in the sense that Democratic leadership in general has failed everyone and led its constituencies astray for their own self-serving agendas. It's a fundamental ideological problem for the whole party.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

bill gates seemed cool until he compared Trump to JFK

dude sucks now and is bad

the foundation is still legit tho

imo the only reason jfk is well regarded is because he got shot in the face before he could screw up

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

rudatron posted:

steve jobs was an rear end in a top hat and the fact that silicon valley idolizes him says everything you need to know, even if you knew nothing else

The extent to which liberals forgive Jobs/Apple for being terrible because they like their computers rivals sports fans forgiving Paterno for letting his assistants gently caress kids because he was good at football

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

imo the only reason jfk is well regarded is because he got shot in the face before he could screw up
sometimes that's the best thing that can happen

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mixodorian posted:

Every passing day, the realization that Trump really is going to be our next president gets harder and harder to stomach. I'm only an occasional poster so no one jump on me for criticizing Obama. He's the best president we've had in the depressingly narrow confines of modern American politics, but the whole poo poo is a mess and has been since Reagan.

Most people in the thread seem to share that exact same opinion, but then expressing it is how we got the thread title so just ignore it if they jump on you for it.

Also if you're not already involved in politics in some way, you should check out the DPP thread and be involved and maybe together we can build a better future with better politics and better politicians than modern American politics has had to offer so far.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Lord of Pie posted:

I thought she was the best choice because she did so good in the south

*Proceeds to lose every state in the south, bigly*

That's so... racist! Didn't you know THOSE PEOPLE constitute the majority of southern democrats!?!?

How DARE you insinuate stacking southern states in the early primary was to enhance Hillary's image of inevitably, and I'll be DAMNED if I stay silent while you say South Carolina isn't important to democrats in the GE!

I still hear people bring that poo poo up.

The new line is "Hillary neglected the rust belt? Bernie neglected the south because he thought black people don't matter!"

Not like Bernie campaigned hard in the south and blew tons of money and only gave up cuz he didn't have unlimited campaign funds 🤔

Hillary never campaigning once in Wisconsin and instead trying to flip Arizona is totally comparable. Yeah. That's right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Agean90 posted:

And because LBJ accomplished everything JFK set out to do through the power of being an enormous rear end in a top hat. So JFK gets the adoration for being young, handsome and idealistic *and* the credit for advancing Civil Rights with none of the scandals that were already surfacing or LBJs foreign policy failings.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bill Buckner posted:

Capitalism is good and we should burn commies for energy to power the white house!

America must be purified of radical leftist saboteurs.

We're well on the way to being an inverted Soviet Union, where systemic failure is blamed on wrecking and "SJWs" are the Trotskyists.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Agean90 posted:

Wow look at this conspiracy theorist

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I think we could nominate Levar Burton for president but I don't know if the Reading Rainbow kickstarter ever actually resulted in anything.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Agean90 posted:

to be fair this is true

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I want to reference 11/22/63 here but can't without spoiling 11/22/63

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
idk what kind of solution is there to the southern primaries issue that doesnt amount to basically disenfranchising them

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
jfk was not, in any real sense, a good president.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mixodorian posted:

Obama NEVER stuck out his neck even a millimeter when black Americans specifically needed help. The usual response to that I get is the My Brothers Keeper program but that really ain't poo poo.

On top of that, black politicians didn't pressure him to do the right thing when presented with the opportunity either, so the blame isnt only on him.

Tavis Smiley and Cornel West called Obama out on Tavis' show and people went fuckin berserk.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

idk what kind of solution is there to the southern primaries issue that doesnt amount to basically disenfranchising them

"It's the econony, stupid."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

put california in the middle of the southern primaries, its loving bullshit we go last. gently caress y'all stupid rear end primaries

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

we don't really have to do them all at once

I dunno we could schedule our primaries so every Super Tuesday is one state from each geographical region, that would address this issue without getting Iowa and NH butthurt

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

put california in the middle of the southern primaries, its loving bullshit we go last. gently caress y'all stupid rear end primaries

ya fuckin for real

i mean not that that would have helped sanders much, but still, cmon you shitheads

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that's dumb, you guys have too many delegates and it wouldn't be worth campaigning anywhere else

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It was especially frustrating because all he had to do was commute the death sentence, but he was probably thinking about re-election.

There's a lot to be said about the "Professional Black Leadership Class," but it's important to contextualize it in the sense that Democratic leadership in general has failed everyone and led its constituencies astray for their own self-serving agendas. It's a fundamental ideological problem for the whole party.

The President has no power or authority to commute the sentence or pardon someone convicted in a state court proceeding under state laws.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Agean90 posted:

One of my favorite episodes of Red Dwarf involves time travel shenanigans where they rescued JFK, but then his presidency went down in scandal, so they took JFK back in time and had him assassinate himself to save his legacy. Also they missed a bunch of times so in the end JFK killed JFK with like six shots from various locations.

And thats my extremely nerdy reference. Thanks for reading everyone!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think we should randomize our fuckin primaries every year because i for one am sick to death of iowa and new hampshire

also i think it would be funny as hell to make the candidates go camp out in, like, Helena MT for two months

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

loquacius posted:

that's dumb, you guys have too many delegates and it wouldn't be worth campaigning anywhere else

we're like 1/6 of the country, we deserve input

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
well unfortunately folks it looks like Guam is going first this year

on the plus side it will get all these rear end in a top hat politicians off the mainland for a while

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I guess MA also has a lot of delegates, and I personally blame us for HRC winning. If Sanders had won here it'd have been an early statement and momentum-gainer.

Unfortunately there are enough over-35 Dem partisans who jerk off to JFK here to overcome all the billions of college kids

Clinton won my town, because it is 90% old people, but Sanders won my hometown so there's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

i think we should randomize our fuckin primaries every year because i for one am sick to death of iowa and new hampshire

also i think it would be funny as hell to make the candidates go camp out in, like, Helena MT for two months

Just make it so that they have to go from deepthroating corndogs made from the finest meat paste to forcing down soul-food "inspired" vegan cuisines in the span of 24 hours, and I'm in.

• Locked thread