Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Trying to pick Monkey King in Ranked right now is an exercise in futility. He has to not be banned, your team has to have first pick, you have to BE the first pick, and the game has to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ElGroucho posted:

Now if only I could get this game to give me > 60 FPS without making it look like a loving LucasArts game from the early 90's, I'd appreciate it

Serious question: is there a pc out there that can run dota2 on maximum settings and 1080p with a framerate that never dips below 60fps?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Bulldog seems to have taken a fancy to Bane. He finally seems to realize that enfeeble is a good spell to take early. I never understood why pros ignored that spell, they would only level it up at 10 and by then it wasn't nearly as useful. Put a couple of points in it early game and you can completely ruin your opponent's lane and also make their damage dealer useless in fights.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Original_Z posted:

I never understood why pros ignored [enfeeble]
Because using it makes your lane push at least a little, you sap XP on what is presumably an important lane to win to even use it, and since many carries have some kind of cheap nuke to kill creeps with, the attack damage reduction isn't super disruptive outside of teamfights.

Also every point in brain sap is very good, and nightmare is one of those you certainly want at least one point in, probably more because the range is not high at level 1, at which point where do you fit your first point of Enfeeble? Level 1? Level 4? Level 8 even?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
All of Bane's spells are really good. Enfeeble was taken last usually because magic nuke damage used to rule early teamfights and it was way better to sleep a Lina than enfeeble her.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

That guy on that one team during Boston did enfeeble first against Weaver and turned him into a ranged creep.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

KingEup posted:

Serious question: is there a pc out there that can run dota2 on maximum settings and 1080p with a framerate that never dips below 60fps?

I have a rx80 4gb and I run the game fine. I also refuse to update drivers unless the game ever gets laggy.

This card isn't super expensive either.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I played my first game in like a year. One of my teammates was very nice and gave me good advice while I was noobing it up. We won the game.

Is dota... good?? :aaa:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

I played my first game in like a year. One of my teammates was very nice and gave me good advice while I was noobing it up. We won the game.

Is dota... good?? :aaa:

Yep, everyone is nice in Dota now

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yep, everyone is nice in Dota now

7.00 really did shake things up

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lol the bots hoard a specific courier after this new patch, which accurately simulates someone loving a game up by keeping constant control of a courier

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

KingEup posted:

There are still significant frame rate bugs in the new version. One is related to illusion creation for some reason. So you can't really guarantee constant high FPS right now. Turning off grass and tree wind helped me a ton without making the game look trashy, though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Enigma89 posted:

I have a rx80 4gb and I run the game fine. I also refuse to update drivers unless the game ever gets laggy.

This card isn't super expensive either.

Have you tried to unlock the card to 8GB? :v:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Definitely much stronger. Familiars actually live long enough to do stuff now.

I've played Visage a ton and I'm actually one of the top Dotabuff players for him as well. I disagree with this. Familiars losing their spell immunity absolutely wrecks them in a ton of situations, and removes a lot of the interesting abilities they had, like being able to kill Naga while she's singing, or attack Nyx while he has carapace. I prefer the old Familiars, and never had a problem keeping them alive before when they had only three attack-HP.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I still occasionally get a hitch while playing Dota2 that isn't present in any other game that I play, but that was present long before 7.00 and seems less frequent since the patch if anything. Whenever that's not happening though I have fantastic performance with everything maxed cause I spent too much money on a PC.

Yesterday all three of my games were against a Monkey King and my pals kind of suicided into his lane repeatedly while I did my own thing on the midline, is that hero actually super OP or am I just getting a distorted view since I can never fight one without at least a 5-kill gold/xp lead on me?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Geight posted:

I still occasionally get a hitch while playing Dota2 that isn't present in any other game that I play, but that was present long before 7.00 and seems less frequent since the patch if anything. Whenever that's not happening though I have fantastic performance with everything maxed cause I spent too much money on a PC.

Yesterday all three of my games were against a Monkey King and my pals kind of suicided into his lane repeatedly while I did my own thing on the midline, is that hero actually super OP or am I just getting a distorted view since I can never fight one without at least a 5-kill gold/xp lead on me?

MK's laning phase is very very strong and you must respect it or you will die to him a lot

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

KingEup posted:

Mine has only dropped down past 60 when I tried Techies. Too many mines I guess.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If you play techies, you deserve low FPS imo

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Geight posted:

As I said, monkey king needs like 60 less attack speed so he can't rack up a shitload of crits from luna range in no time flat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm surprised Beast Master is played so little this patch. He was already pretty good and got some amazing talents.

Or am I missing something?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Xae posted:

I'm surprised Beast Master is played so little this patch. He was already pretty good and got some amazing talents.

People are scared of micro.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xae posted:

Personally I've been spoiled by HoN's version, where he had the best melee attack animation in the game and they replaced his aura with a charge that gave him 100 aspd

After playing so many games as him it just feels weird to trundle @ people like a less spooky skeleton king

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

KingEup posted:

Yes. Mine doesn't dip below 120fps at 1080p but I just built it and it was stupid pricey. A gtx 1060 would probably guarantee 60fps at 1080p, especially after they are done optimizing things.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I have a 960 and an old-rear end i5. 100 fps normally on the Immortal Gardens terrain, drops to 70 in fights at max settings.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Apparently there's a new Team Spirit: BZZ, Iceberg, fng, Vanskor, DkPhobos

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Has there been any news on Na'vi? Feels like all the decent CIS players are spoken for at this point.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

this is the year rtz joins navi

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Kainser posted:

Has there been any news on Na'vi? Feels like all the decent CIS players are spoken for at this point.

Sonneiko left so it's basically a Dendi pubstack for now.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Geight posted:

I think a big part of this is that people don't know what the hero does. He's somewhat terrifying in lane if you don't respect the passive. Yesterday I was laning safe against a solo offlane Axe. He tried to play it as if he were up against a normal melee hero, when you should be playing as if you are up against an Ursa instead. If I get four hits on you, you're dead.

I think I killed him 4 times in lane? And from that point Monkey King can snowball out of control a lot like an Ursa. Admittedly, by the second time the Axe died he should have learned and either changed his style or hosed off to some camps but whatever.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more Monkey King reminds me a lot of Ursa. You're trading a little single target burst, tankiness from the ulti once you go into a fight, and Rosh potential for more aoe teamfight damage, initiation ability and mobility. Both heroes seem to have a problem ending the game if they aren't miles ahead, and both heroes seem pretty bad if they get behind.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 15, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A big part of it is that stun and his escape potential; he's got Ursa-like burst earlygame, but with an aoe stun that he can safely prod with until he lands it. And if you gank him you either need high/flying sight or be incredibly quick on the quell key.

In teamfights he peters off, but not to a great enough extent to excuse his earlygame/ganking IMO

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
As to the FPS issues, when I first reinstalled the game after 7.0 dropped, I was getting 7-10 FPS until I set the refresh to 120 and used the -dx11 tag in launch options. This was with my 980ti at 1440p. Now I'm getting a fairly constant 120+ FPS. I heard other people were using the -vulkan option but I haven't tried that.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
9 wins in a row this patch. Still undefeated. 7.00 is truly incredible.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

mikeraskol posted:

I think a big part of this is that people don't know what the hero does. He's somewhat terrifying in lane if you don't respect the passive. Yesterday I was laning safe against a solo offlane Axe. He tried to play it as if he were up against a normal melee hero, when you should be playing as if you are up against an Ursa instead. If I get four hits on you, you're dead.

MK has twice the range Ursa does. In a melee vs. MK matchup it would be borderline impossible to both last hit and avoid MK hitting you. Hell, I had trouble avoiding hits when I was playing VS, an ostensibly ranged hero, in a solo lane vs MK. Then I looked it up and it turns out Venge's ranged attack only barely outranges MK's "melee" attack.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Neurolimal posted:

A big part of it is that stun and his escape potential; he's got Ursa-like burst earlygame, but with an aoe stun that he can safely prod with until he lands it. And if you gank him you either need high/flying sight or be incredibly quick on the quell key.

In teamfights he peters off, but not to a great enough extent to excuse his earlygame/ganking IMO

His ult is actually rediculous for teamfights with some setup

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger

RabidWeasel posted:

Seems like a way better version of riki's ult. the catch is they can kill you. so its almost like a stationary dp ult or something. idk its gay.

his laning is really strong i bet he dumps on lower level pubs for a long awhile.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

His ult comboed with Treant Ult is pretty amazing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've gone 0-4 :D

One game with a 5-17 MK on my team, two with MKs on the enemy team who did jack poo poo the whole game and got carried, one RD game with no MK. New heroes good for pub dota.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://www.lootmarket.com/dota-csgo-news/eternalenvy-interview/

quote:

At one point I came to the acronym No Problem and Over Powered. I chose NP over OP because I believe someone mentioned NP could mean No Puppey and I found that very funny. I also knew Naga Please and other things could be used so we stuck with NP.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

I started dota two weeks ago, and after 24 all pick games my WR is 70% :-0 And they say this game has a steep learning curve... well I guess it has, maybe I've just been lucky and gotten all the good smurfs to my side?

Anyways, has Vengeful Spirit always been this good? You can play initiator/nuker altough the game says you are "support".. no one complains when you just buy a few wards and call it a day. The aura gives great dmg to you and your teammates, and stuns and armor reduction and hero swaps are fun fun fun.

Some heroes are like WTF to me, but VS seems to click so well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
You're either God's gift to Dota or your win rate will start plummeting any moment now. Enjoy, or enjoy while it lasts.

• Locked thread