Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Need some help, thread.

I'm falling behind on my arena shard because most people are now picking up G11 Wedge/Biggs, I've been working on getting Shoretrooper to G11 but I don't know how much it will help and at 2x50 refreshes a day it's probably going to take the best part of a month to get him there. G11 Wiggs is pretty much out of the question for me, even after finishing top 5 in all 5(?) of the raids we've finished, I'm not even halfway to a single piece of gear.

Should I carry on farming Shoretroopers gear or switch back to gearing up and levelling various pilots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I believe Shoretrooper is your only chance of beating Wiggs.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

I believe Shoretrooper is your only chance of beating Wiggs.

It's not helping at the moment, my 4*G10 one doesn't help at all with defeating the G11 200+ speed guys, he pretty much never gets a chance to get crit immunity off and that's with 75k+ HP. It's why I'm questioning whether the additional protection from G11 will help or whether I just have to accept that it's getting harder and harder to keep pace as F2P.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Wiggs in a comp should disqualify it from being randomly selected for GW6, imo.

Jesus Christ, I can't ever get past that with any protection; and I MUST use my A-team or it's an auto-failure. I had to revert to 2015 tactics and throw a chump squad at them just to eat the STH Taunt, first Biggs assist, and EP aoe Stun.

what a loving nightmare... and I'm just getting started.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Hurray, easy-mode final node has returned to me!

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Aleth posted:

Oh, well Bistan isn't new either? Can't remember if he was a tournament one or something else.

Bistan was the daily reward character from last month? October? Anyway, he's slightly better than the pathfinder because he's a harder farm.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Davethulhu posted:

Bistan was the daily reward character from last month? October? Anyway, he's slightly better than the pathfinder because he's a harder farm.

I'm sure the android users can dry their tears with their free 7* K2.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Is Lando or STH the better character to get to gear IX first? It will be awhile before I get the next one up there due to it coming from raids only.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boozie posted:

Is Lando or STH the better character to get to gear IX first? It will be awhile before I get the next one up there due to it coming from raids only.

Get your tank stupid good.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Does STH really count for my tank? Seems so squishy that I'd get marginal gains vs boosting my Lando AoE. I have shoretrooper in my arena as well, but I don't have the gear for him to get to IX yet.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boozie posted:

Does STH really count for my tank? Seems so squishy that I'd get marginal gains vs boosting my Lando AoE. I have shoretrooper in my arena as well, but I don't have the gear for him to get to IX yet.

Yes, he is your tank. Squishiness is actualy why you have to gear him. His squishiness shrinks back pretty quick once you start progressing his gear past VIII.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Yes, he is your tank. Squishiness is actualy why you have to gear him. His squishiness shrinks back pretty quick once you start progressing his gear past VIII.

And then you have a tank who'll take a ton of punishment and feed you turn meter so you can chain nuke the enemy team!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

waah posted:

I guess if i want an invite and stuff i need to actually add my info.

Name: Waah
227-246-992

Going to invite you to QGJ, but we can't invite you until you leave your guild. Sending you an Ally invite, though.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

MichiganCubbie posted:

Going to invite you to QGJ, but we can't invite you until you leave your guild. Sending you an Ally invite, though.

I left other guild and sent a request.

Does the energy cost go refill cantina and light side battles ever go back down or am i at the wait forever part?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

waah posted:

Does the energy cost go refill cantina and light side battles ever go back down or am i at the wait forever part?

Just accepted you. The energy cost should go back down daily.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

waah posted:

You get 2 50 crystal energy and 2 100 crystal cantina refreshes per day.

We recommend that you burn those 4 every day.

More if you want, but the cost becomes prohibitive.

Aadoniel
May 7, 2009
Got my JE to 5* finally. It'll be a few months before he gets to 7* but I was able to beat the critical damage challenge. Just taking my time swimming in 5* crit mods.

For one hour I am satiated.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Is there a tier list anywhere, or is this the sort of game where most characters can have a place on the right team? I've been sticking to the suggestions in the OP on what to work towards getting, but I wanted to avoid dumping any of my resources in characters that will be garbage later on.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Darksaber posted:

Is there a tier list anywhere, or is this the sort of game where most characters can have a place on the right team? I've been sticking to the suggestions in the OP on what to work towards getting, but I wanted to avoid dumping any of my resources in characters that will be garbage later on.

Build towards this for arena:

Biggs, Wedge, Stormtrooper Han, Lando, Admiral Akbar

Also, good heros to target while levelling:

Qui Gon Jinn
Old Daka
Fives
Boba Fett
Phasma
Teebo
Luminara Undili (for GW ease)
IG88
HK47
Leia
Royal Guard
Geonosian Soldier
Jedi Knight Anakin
Rey

etc

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 15, 2016

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Darksaber posted:

Chilichimp posted:

Biggs, Wedge, Stormtrooper Han, Lando, Admiral Akbar

While you should level Admiral Ackbar for several reasons, he's really not great at Arena. I would definitely start the game focusing on Lando, STH, QGJ, Biggs, and RG. You can't get shards very quickly for RG (1-D light Hard, 5-? dark hard, high level cantina), but even at 3* he's a solid investment. At this point, I would put Daka, Fives, Phasma, Leia, GS, and Rey pretty far down on my list of who to level. They're all solid investments, but you're going to have a hard time keeping 6-7 guys leveled once you hit the 60-70 grind. The 70-80 grind is better (I mean worse) because the xp req skyrockets, so you can actually build up more credits in between each level.

Also, by the time you've built a hero up to 7* 85 G11, there will be 5 new OP heroes. The current powerful F2P heroes (if you don't consider Rex/SF F2P...which they sort of are now in fleet shipments) are Lando, STH, QGJ, Wiggs, RG, TFP, QGJ, B2, and EP (although if you can't get him to 5* or higher in a week, you won't see him for 4-6 months).

Here is what I would recommend you focus on per resource:
Cantina Energy: Lando to 7*, then Tie Fighter Pilot, then Wedge. I would take TFP to about 5*, then work on farming some mods, then switch to Wedge as soon as you hit I think level 66 or 69. Something like that, level 6 cantina.
Cantina Tokens: QGJ, then Daka, then probably Poe to 5* (for speed mods), then whatever.
Regular Energy: Royal Guard, Jedi Knight Anakin, spend the rest on gear. It's also not a terrible idea to do Ewok Elder's node -- you'll want him and he's going to take you a long time. Doing too many hard missions per day makes it difficult to farm gear, and you want to make sure you have your best 5 heroes at max gear for their level.
Squad Tokens: STH, then AA, then HK and 88.
GW Tokens: Lumi, Biggs, Teebo (I would only take Lumi to 6* though, as she falls off level 70+ anyways, and you can also spend tokens on ships. Try to have Biggs to 7* by the time you unlock Wedge).
Guild Tokens: Jawa Engi, Ewok Elder
Ship Tokens: Sun Fac and Rex. They will change your life.

I've adjusted the priority farm section of the OP, but barely. I also added a new note about successful arena teams. Basically Chaze is OP, but without that, your best F2P options are still an EP + TFP comp, or a Wiggs comp. Right now I'm running EP, JKA, STH, TFP, Shore. The top 10 teams are changing every day so having a decent roster has really helped with that.
Additional teams I've tried in the last few days:
EP, TFP, Vader, RG, Shore
EP, TFP, JKA, RG, Shore
EP, TFP, JKA, Vader, Shore
EP, TFP, Wiggs, Shore
Wiggs, EP, TFP, Shore
Wiggs, Lando, TFP, Shore

There's a reason that TFP and Shore are the only two heroes in every comp. I've got both at G10, TFP is getting close to 11, while Shore needs another 150 carbantis, 100 stun guns, some detonators, and maybe something else in there. FUN! 7* TFP, 4* Shore.

Mods make a huge difference in this game -- whenever you hit a milestone with a hero and can take a break, work on mods. Farming them sucks, and a lot of people here will tell you to save up credits/crystals and buy them in the store, but doing that also sucks. It takes me probably 3-4 days per usable mod, at 2x refresh per day (that's 360 energy, or 22.5 T3 challenges), but I only get a good speed secondary mod (the only stat that really matters) about every 2 weeks. At high levels, you won't be able to compete without high speed secondaries, so once you have Wedge farmed, it's really important to focus on those. The best set varies highly by champ, I'm actually a big proponent of Offense mods (I'm currently farming FOST, an incredibly useless hero, so that I can farm them...), but they're hard to get due to champ selection. The easiest and best sets are Health (tank --supposedly better than defense mods), CC, and CD. Tenacity is also good for tanks, and potency is good for certain heroes (like EP, B2, and TFP). Offense is better damage than CD most of the time (they balance out at about 50% CC -- 10k * 1.1 * 1.5 * .5 + 10k * 1.1 * .5 > 10k * 1.8 * .5 + 10k * .5). Heroes like Biggs who have a guaranteed Crit, or Lando, who has higher CC and CC up benefit more from CD. Most other heroes benefit more from Offense or CC. Most of the time, a CD triangle is the best for a damage dealer. 5.88% Offense is almost never worth it (but it's your only option for the square mod). Protection is frequently the best primary, but health is better for raiding with healers (or Wiggs based rebels). With only a few exceptions (some builds of RG and JKA mostly), you only want arrow mods with a speed primary (unless you roll a purple or gold mod with speed secondary -- it's possible to get 20+ speed and still have another 23.5% protection or w/e). Obviously some heroes want Potency cross mods, and some heroes want tenacity cross mods (if you go tenacity, you have to go all in), but mostly you just want a protection cross and a protection circle.
When it comes down to level 85 arena though, speed secondaries are unbelievably important. If you don't have at least one set of ~+100 (that's +15 from set, +30 primary, and an average of +11 per mod), you probably will get eaten alive. I mean, you might not because it's a newer account, but that's true on basically every shard that's been around for anywhere close to a year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Don't farm Luke shards. He sucks so bad.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Would you take 1 dot speed mods over 5 dot health mods for STH? The potential for secondary speed might make it lower overall, but short term, before I get +10 speed secondaries, it will be a net boost to speed at the cost of a lot of protection on him.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

Would you take 1 dot speed mods over 5 dot health mods for STH? The potential for secondary speed might make it lower overall, but short term, before I get +10 speed secondaries, it will be a net boost to speed at the cost of a lot of protection on him.

If it makes STH go faster than your opponents, yes, otherwise, no.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

How do you get the shoretrooper? I'm looking at it as chromium pack only. Is it available in any other way or are people just dropping crystals on it?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Danzel Glovington posted:

How do you get the shoretrooper? I'm looking at it as chromium pack only. Is it available in any other way or are people just dropping crystals on it?

He was a reward for a tournament awhile back.

Speaking of Shoretrooper though, is he worth working on if I've only got him at 3*? I don't really have any other pressing projects, if that makes a difference.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Speed arrow or protection arrow for shoretrooper?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This thread is ACRONYM CITY.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Cactus posted:

STH = Stormtrooper Ham
EP = Entirely Pantaloons
ST = lovely Trooper
Wiggs = A hair product.
QGJ = Quite Good d'Jinn

I'm out of bad jokes.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Wintermutant posted:

Speaking of Shoretrooper though, is he worth working on if I've only got him at 3*? I don't really have any other pressing projects, if that makes a difference.

Star level doesn't affect protection, and Shore is mostly just there to be a wall. So he's great even at 3*.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Awesome; good to know, thanks

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Cactus posted:

I also had this problem when I first got into the game. Feel free to ask which ones are giving you trouble. You'll have it down in no time.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

wait.... so... since I joined the game like less than 3 weeks ago I'm hosed? I can't get shore trooper without buying chromium packs, but I gotta spend all my crizzles on energy. So in short, no Shoret for me, just to be clear, shoretrooper is a snore-pooper as far as I'm concerned? Ignore any advice regarding him since I joined the game a tad too late?

edit: gently caress it I bought the drat "countdown to rogue one" thing and it only gave me ten fuckin shards

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 15, 2016

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
You're fine. Shoretrooper is cool but he's a premium character only available to people who placed high in his event or got lucky with chromium cards.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

You're fine. Shoretrooper is cool but he's a premium character only available to people who placed high in his event or got lucky with chromium cards.

I had 45 from both tournaments and buy 1 pack so I could get him 3*.

I'm guessing he won't be amazing.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I wouldn't get too fixated on Shoretrooper, especially if you're just starting out. He's good now--and probably will be for a bit--but if recent character releases are anything to go by, they'll probably release a new must-have character that somehow negates Shore's advantages and yanks the meta in a different direction.

E: I think you're also far from being hosed if you don't have him. Only one person in the top 10 on my shard uses him at the moment, and I've yet to see him crop up in arena matches or GW. I'm pretty sure I've never seen him in-game outside of the Bistan event, actually.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 15, 2016

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dr. Venture posted:

I also had this problem when I first got into the game. Feel free to ask which ones are giving you trouble. You'll have it down in no time.

I'm able to look them up it's not that big a deal, just kind of funny how much it looks like moonspeak.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spakstik posted:

I wouldn't get too fixated on Shoretrooper, especially if you're just starting out. He's good now--and probably will be for a bit--but if recent character releases are anything to go by, they'll probably release a new must-have character that somehow negates Shore's advantages and yanks the meta in a different direction.

E: I think you're also far from being hosed if you don't have him. Only one person in the top 10 on my shard uses him at the moment, and I've yet to see him crop up in arena matches or GW. I'm pretty sure I've never seen him in-game outside of the Bistan event, actually.

You lucky son of a bitch. He's in my node 11 at least half the time and my node 12 EVERY GOD drat TIME

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I had 45 from both tournaments and buy 1 pack so I could get him 3*.

I'm guessing he won't be amazing.

It's worth it. I bought like 4 of them to get him to 4*...that probably wasn't worth it, but having him unlocked absolutely was.

Spakstik posted:

At the very top end of hard ladders, you need someone taunting when the battle starts. It greatly helps with Raid Han and Biggs comps, as well as bunch of other things. Being able to get a fast Boba will help a lot with this though.

Supposedly Baze (solo) is a little bit better than Shore though. Hurray. I'm sure we'll get more auto-taunters in the future.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Confirmed, there will be like 4 squad tournaments between now and the end of the year

Jyn, cassian, cassians uwing, tie advanced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Should I save all my friend points for those tourneys then? That's the only use for them besides the common packs, right?

Also thanks for the help on units, I'm on my way to at least unlocking a few of the good ones at least.