Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm saying, it'll be the 2040's and I'll be in my 50's or 60's watching a period piece set in '98, and everybody will have iphones and I'll be getting all steamed. Or watching a movie set in 2012 where someone talks about their cool Motorola RAZR. It will be a real "shut up, Grandpa" moment.

The difference between "era when the most expensive and vaunted cell phones were tiny" and "era when the most expensive and vaunted cell phones are huge" is only a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

The difference between "era when the most expensive and vaunted cell phones were tiny" and "era when the most expensive and vaunted cell phones are huge" is only a few years.

Literally two years, in 2006 the RAZR in 2008 the iPhone 3G.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm not sure that's true, Nokia 3100 etc were shrinking quickly, and that came out in 2003. It was much cooler to have a slim, small 3100 with a colour screen than a chunky banana sized 6110 or something.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Retrofuturism is always funny, both when people shot way over the mark ("Millions of people will live on the moon by the year 1990") and when they fell hilariously short ("In 1990 electric postal service will deliver a message across the Atlantic in as little as an hour!")

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Depending on just how crap your mail server is that might still be true. Getting an "i forgot my password" request from EA.com for example can easily take an hour, if it ever arrives.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Boiled Water posted:

Depending on just how crap your mail server is that might still be true. Getting an "i forgot my password" request from EA.com for example can easily take an hour, if it ever arrives.

I just deleted 40k deferred e-mails after a compromised web spammed a lot. Some legit e-mails might never arrive.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SEKCobra posted:

I just deleted 40k deferred e-mails after a compromised web spammed a lot. Some legit e-mails might never arrive.

40k, you say? "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only spam."

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Powered Descent posted:

40k, you say? "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only spam."

My boss was 'not amused' when I told him about it, but hey, what can you do? \/:shobon:\/ (I even called SpamTitan support to see if there was any other option)

This is what happens when you don't notice/fix a spamming web for a week.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, the problem with e-mail is it's "best effort" so there's no guarantee it'll ever arrive. 99.9% of the time it does, but if it doesn't there isn't anything you can do.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

robodex posted:

Yeah, the problem with e-mail is it's "best effort" so there's no guarantee it'll ever arrive. 99.9% of the time it does, but if it doesn't there isn't anything you can do.

No, the problem with e-mail is that it was designed entirely by academics with no concept of human malice, laziness, or malicious laziness. I was support lead for a major control panel company for five years, and by far and away the worst part of the job was dealing with the email subsystem.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Movies in the future set in pre-2007 will always get the cell phones wrong.

I recall the movie Infernal Affairs 2, which chronicles the rise of some Hong Kong cops and gangsters and is set across most of the 1990s in (IIRC) somewhat nonlinear fashion. They neatly used the size of everyone's cell phones to indicate when a scene was set.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Demolition Man will always be my favorite "future prediction." Not the actual future the movie is set in, but the very beginning (it's not too far off the reality either :haw:)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I like seeing CRTs used all of the time in "the future" in movies/TV shows.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Last Chance posted:

Especially when they were a wall of CRTs to make one mega "futuristic" big screen with lots of wasted space. Basically, I'm thinking of the OCP board room.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Explosionface posted:

Especially when they were a wall of CRTs to make one mega "futuristic" big screen with lots of wasted space. Basically, I'm thinking of the OCP board room.

Bah, that one actually makes sense though, OCP was a cheap bunch of bastards. The only thing weird about that wall was it had the spike interface that apparently only Robocop was built to use.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Last Chance posted:

Even worse, I watched an episode of Dirk Gently yesterday and was insanely annoyed that they clearly used lcd screens and then threw a fake CRT filter up on some of them. Completely broke my immersion in an otherwise amazing episode.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's 1940 and you need a controller for the cutting-edge radio-controlled drone you're selling to the U.S. Army. Nothing like this has ever existed so you can build anything you like, but you also need to keep the cost down and make sure the controller is easy to use and maintain. So what do you build?

Despite selling thousands of drones over decades the company would end up better known for one of their assembly employees...

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Dec 15, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's why period accuracy will be so hard. Also I believe a lot of these old phones will be thrown away or recycled nearly out of existence in the next 50 years. It will be a classic case of "why should we keep this around, there are millions of ---------" until there suddenly aren't.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kwyndig posted:

Bah, that one actually makes sense though, OCP was a cheap bunch of bastards. The only thing weird about that wall was it had the spike interface that apparently only Robocop was built to use.

Every system has that one weird connector that almost no-one ever uses, or even knows how to use.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Dick Trauma posted:

It's 1940 and you need a controller for the cutting-edge radio-controlled drone you're selling to the U.S. Army. Nothing like this has ever existed so you can build anything you like, but you also need to keep the cost down and make sure the controller is easy to use and maintain. So what do you build?

Despite selling thousands of drones over decades the company would end up better known for one of their assembly employees...

And that worker was Albert Einstein!

serious who the gently caress is she

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Johnny Aztec posted:

Marilyn Monroe

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
edit: ^^^ not in that picture, she wasn't.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Norma Jeane Mortenson

Magnus Praeda has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Dec 16, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Magnus Praeda posted:

Norma Jeane Mortenson

I like what you tried here, but it works better in a pre‐Google universe.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

I like what you tried here, but it works better in a pre‐Google universe.

or a pre-Elton universe

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Kelp Me! posted:

Demolition Man will always be my favorite "future prediction." Not the actual future the movie is set in, but the very beginning (it's not too far off the reality either :haw:)

I commented a while back watching Airplane 2 for the first time in years and it struck me as sort of an accurate vision of the future/present in a lot of ways.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I commented a while back watching Airplane 2 for the first time in years and it struck me as sort of an accurate vision of the future/present in a lot of ways.

Why the hell aren't I notified about these things?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

My experience in the OSHA thread tells me that you need to secure that hair, missy!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Speaking of drones during WWII, here's some footage of the Interstate TDR, a "assault drone" the US Navy was working on from 1942 to 1944. They built about 195 of them (out of a order of 2000) and combat tested them in the South Pacific in 1944 (50 drones were "expended" with no losses to the manned control aircraft), but the program was canceled the same year due to technical issues that showed up during the testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIW-XsFT98k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwS669Ipgwc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's why period accuracy will be so hard. Also I believe a lot of these old phones will be thrown away or recycled nearly out of existence in the next 50 years. It will be a classic case of "why should we keep this around, there are millions of ---------" until there suddenly aren't.

Maybe it's just a Finnish thing but no-one throws out their old cell phones.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

David Mitchell.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

David Mitchell.

it was actually Spud Webb

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe it's just a Finnish thing but no-one throws out their old cell phones.

Makes sense, the Russians will try again at some point and you'll need them for IED detonators.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was loading stuff into a warehouse when I discovered something interesting.

What's this?

A case of some sort!

What's in it? Some kind of ancient vibrator?

Nah, what I've got here is a light pointer.

If you're doing a presentation in 1931-1980, you're going to want one of these bad boys or you'll be stuck using a stick pointer like some goddamn primitive.

If you don't focus it right the arrow it projects kinda looks like a dick:

e: for extra obsoleteness, shot with a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What's in it? Some kind of ancient vibrator?

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Anything is a sex toy if you're brave enough.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm reading a short story wherein two American soldiers are on a 3-day leave in Paris in 1945 right after the end of the war.

quote:

“Wow,” Mueller said in the Metro station; he had always been good at figuring things out. “See how this works? You push the button where you are and the one where you want to go, and the whole loving route lights up. You’d have to be an idiot to get lost in this town.” “Yeah.”
What is being referenced?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I'm reading a short story wherein two American soldiers are on a 3-day leave in Paris in 1945 right after the end of the war.

What is being referenced?

It’s a translucent map with lightbulbs behind it, or a solid map studded with small lamps. Press the buttons and the lights along the route light up.

I’m sure you’re seen similar displays in places like museums, without the intelligent routing feature.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Dec 19, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So why don't I see those on the subway in NYC? It's obviously obsolete technology but more advanced than the regular maps.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sounds like a wonderful way to find a way to a destination that involves multiple trains.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

So why don't I see those on the subway in NYC? It's obviously obsolete technology but more advanced than the regular maps.

They exist, but only at common transfer stations due to the cost of each kiosk ($15k each).

http://web.mta.info/nyct/OntheGoAds/

Platystemon posted:

There are apps for that.
This. Google Transit et. al. do just fine without expensive hardware deployments.

Varance has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are apps for that.