Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Another $5000 tax incentive which totally isn't a limp-wristed bribery attempt at all, I bet. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The vote liberal tax credit

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

I'm trying to say that the BoC doesn't make decisions primarily on your mortgage payment. As well, 5 year ~fixed~ mortgages are backed by 5 year US tbills and not the BoC o/n rate. BoC can cut rates which mean poo poo to your mortgage payment. A rate cut might be good for the economy if that money doesn't get dumped into something retarded like bridges that have to be closed whenever there's snow.

Just think about those over extended old stock Canadians on the longest term variable they barely qualified for their McMansion they then proceeded to heloc to holy hell for truck equity, truck nuts, and that 30 year term trailer for camping that they will end up living in when they default on their entire life :fap:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
A few weeks ago CI mentioned a rumoured bump in the capital gains rate from 50% to 75%. I just heard this rumour from someone else today. Curious...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 25, 2018

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/dbcurren/status/809151107691847680

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

But the real estate industry says supply IS an issue. Conflicting reports IMO.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

leftist heap posted:

But the real estate industry says supply IS an issue. Conflicting reports IMO.

who are you going to trust, some analytics company you've never heard of? or your friend Melody Simon - the Moose of Merritt.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

namaste faggots posted:

"lol idiot everyone knows it's easy to circumvent those regulations dumbass weed"

How would you guys feel about legislation preventing non-permanent residents from investing in residential property? Or are there tons of American companies building rental housing in Vancouver?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lexicon posted:

A few weeks ago CI mentioned a rumoured bump in the capital gains rate from 50% to 75%. I just heard this rumour from someone else today. Curious...

Wait, Canada has a 50% capital gains tax?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The way it currently works, of your capital gains, 50% are eligible to be taxed at your highest marginal rate. The rumor is that they're increasing this proportion to 75%. Is it credible? I dunno I heard it from someone who works with some partners at an accounting firm and they're advising their clients to realize some of their gains this year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is the CMA, though, and does it not include all housing types? Hard to get single detached supply in Toronto proper from that graph, for example. (There isn't any being built except for a subdivision in Scarborough that may or may not get approved).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Terebus posted:

How would you guys feel about legislation preventing non-permanent residents from investing in residential property? Or are there tons of American companies building rental housing in Vancouver?

They can simply create a Canadian business to bypass the ownership restriction. Just look at how fun it is to calculate your CCA on RE as a business http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/127/cmpltng/rlstt/x1_pf-eng.html :downs:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can housing bear twitter is losing its poo poo right now because Ben Rabidoux thinks Christy's new housing affordability measure is an interest free loan for down payments for first time buyers.

lol if true

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
how has he not gone insane yet with all the stupid poo poo that's gone down in the last few years since he started telling everyone canada was in a huge bubble

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
He's probably making mad cheddar consulting for companies shorting Canada

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
im pretty sure he told people that wasn't a great idea an-- waiiiit a second

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

MiddleOne posted:

Wait, Canada has a 50% capital gains tax?

No, 50% of your capital gains is taxed at your nominal rate (generally 43%).

So $100k gain = $50k taxed at 43% = $21.5k in taxes.

And this is why so many people with a "family cottage" (2nd property) get hosed on inheritance since that isn't exempt.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

Can housing bear twitter is losing its poo poo right now because Ben Rabidoux thinks Christy's new housing affordability measure is an interest free loan for down payments for first time buyers.

lol if true

Hahahahaha, government will match your down payment up to 37,500$ with an interest free loan. no payments for 5 years, pay it off over the following 20 years.

The restrictions I caught were:
-First time buyer
-Max house price 750k
-Been citizen or PR for 5 years
-Lived in BC for 1
-Paid taxes for 2 years

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress this province and gently caress this country

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Kreez posted:

Hahahahaha, government will match your down payment up to 37,500$ with an interest free loan. no payments for 5 years, pay it off over the following 20 years.

-First time buyer
-Max house price 750k
-Lived in BC for 1
-Paid taxes for 2 years

how are they determining first time buyer? i'm going to exploit the gently caress out of this

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wow, that's a really heinously lovely plan.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

namaste faggots posted:

The way it currently works, of your capital gains, 50% are eligible to be taxed at your highest marginal rate. The rumor is that they're increasing this proportion to 75%. Is it credible? I dunno I heard it from someone who works with some partners at an accounting firm and they're advising their clients to realize some of their gains this year.

I've always found this sort of stuff to be vile. Make 35k in a year by showing up to your job every day and busting your rear end? Pay income tax on all of it. Make 35k by flipping property? Pay income tax on half of it. "It's meant to incentivize investment which creates jobs" is the weakest excuse for rich people paying half the tax as poor people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Our entire economy and the personal finances of most of the country depends on all that poo poo, that's why it's there. No one can get rid of the existing hand-outs and tax breaks and we're in a mad dash to keep adding more to prop up the failing system. Not to actually keep it going, but just so your political party can say "see we did all we could to protect middle class investments" when it finally crashes.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So pay $208 per month for 15 years or $156 per month for 20.

e: no

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/interest-free-home-loans-bc-1.3897832

quote:

The B.C. Home Owner Mortgage and Equity Partnership program will provide a maximum of $37,500 — or up to 5 per cent of the purchase price — with a 25-year loan that is interest-free and payment-free for the first five years.

so it's $156 for the 20 years or $125

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 15, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OSI bean dip posted:

So pay $208 per month for 15 years or $156 per month for 20.

The only thing that matters is monthly payments so the last one. A typical Canadian would choose $200 a month for 50 years vs $220 a month for 20. $200 is smaller than $220 why would I pay more per month?!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kreez posted:

-First time buyer
-Max house price 750k
-Lived in BC for 1
-Paid taxes for 2 years

So I can pull 37.5K from my RRSP, put it down on a 750K (surprising it costs a lot more today) 1 bedroom condo and hope for the best?

I hate this province so much.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I'll bet that you cannot default on this loan either.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yippee cahier posted:

I've always found this sort of stuff to be vile. Make 35k in a year by showing up to your job every day and busting your rear end? Pay income tax on all of it. Make 35k by flipping property? Pay income tax on half of it. "It's meant to incentivize investment which creates jobs" is the weakest excuse for rich people paying half the tax as poor people.
Rich people don't pay half the tax of poor people, even proportionally. The largest proportional tax burden is carried by the middle class (using JT's expanded definition... People who make significant income but through wages rather than equity).

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

OSI bean dip posted:

I'll bet that you cannot default on this loan either.

the only saving grace

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
does anyone remember that unsourced quote about how the bc liberal party wants to know as little about your finances as possible?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

yippee cahier posted:

It makes more sense for something like dividends. I own shares in a company. The company earned some profit and payed taxes on that income. That is, I as part owner of the company paid taxes on those earnings. It then 'transfers' some of those earnings to me as dividends. Was there more income somehow? Why should it be taxed again?

Not that I really buy the argument but that's how it goes at least.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/garymasonglobe/status/809472422009151488

lol gary mason smh

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

So I can pull 37.5K from my RRSP, put it down on a 750K (surprising it costs a lot more today) 1 bedroom condo and hope for the best?

I hate this province so much.

The max you can withdraw from your RRSP as a first-time homebuyer is 25K, so you'd need 12.5K from somewhere else.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hahah wow this is so bad. Election round the corner though so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
"The report said the proportion of new high-ratio mortgages ... with a loan-to-income ratio of more than 450 per cent – the most at-risk group of borrowers – was 18 per cent nationally in the third quarter, up from 16 per cent a year earlier. In Greater Toronto, the proportion rose to 49 per cent, from 41 per cent a year earlier."

Not the best stats to have, I imagine.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 25, 2018

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

James Baud posted:

It's really quite funny that between the "nobody involved in purchase can ever have owned before", "lived in BC 5+ years", "paid taxes at least 2 years" "family income < 150k", and "total price < 750k" requirements, the only people in metro Vancouver who will qualify are singles (or poorly paid 20-something couples) buying a 1-2br condo - precisely the type of "useless" housing that Vancouver already has way too much of because the speculators love 'em.

"PARENTS! We want your kids to move out of the basement too! Look, we're helping!"

Get them hooked on that sweet, sweet equity while they're young.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Does seem pretty laser targeted at condos.

Both a handout to the agitated millennials and the condo developers at the same time. Well played.

Hope you are all cool with the upcoming 1000 year rule of the BC Liberal Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McGavin posted:

The max you can withdraw from your RRSP as a first-time homebuyer is 25K, so you'd need 12.5K from somewhere else.

Well poo poo, I guess I better see Vancity about a 12.5K downpayment loan.