Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's the worst. You never realize just how significantly the medication is improving your ability to function until you miss a day. Then suddenly nothing makes any drat sense anymore, you don't know where or who you are, perspective and spatial perception are lies invented to torment you, time is trying to outrun you, and someone in the distant vicinity keeps playing the same ten-second clip from a 90s pop song.

I'm not the only one to have multiple songs playing in my head then? One is usually something older I have no reason to remember at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Catsplosion posted:

I'm not the only one to have multiple songs playing in my head then? One is usually something older I have no reason to remember at all.

I will have one song going in my head and then I'll realize that some of the lyrics are being replaced with the ones from Beck's "Loser" or R.E.M.'s "It's the end of the world as we know it". :psyduck:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's the worst. You never realize just how significantly the medication is improving your ability to function until you miss a day. Then suddenly nothing makes any drat sense anymore, you don't know where or who you are, perspective and spatial perception are lies invented to torment you, time is trying to outrun you, and someone in the distant vicinity keeps playing the same ten-second clip from a 90s pop song.

Is this just the withdrawal effect kicking in? I hope so, because I don't think I was as worthless as employee before I went on meds as I am on the days I forget to take my ADD meds.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another Adderall question: I'm noticing that I'm clenching my jaw a lot, grinding my teeth. I don't love it. Is this a relatively normal stimulant side effect or should I be concerned?

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is this just the withdrawal effect kicking in? I hope so, because I don't think I was as worthless as employee before I went on meds as I am on the days I forget to take my ADD meds.

I wondered about this, too. I've been on 20mg XR for about a month and a half now so I'm not sure how dependent my body is on it. I definitely felt worse yesterday morning than I remember feeling before being on Adderall.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Harrow posted:

Another Adderall question: I'm noticing that I'm clenching my jaw a lot, grinding my teeth. I don't love it. Is this a relatively normal stimulant side effect or should I be concerned?
It is an extremely common side effect. Magnesium supplements are supposed to help.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Adderall made me grind the gently caress out of my teeth, which wasn't great because I unconsciously grind my teeth morning, noon, and night even without a mummy-cursed demon stimulant turning me into a tension ogre. I'm pretty sure I damaged my teeth in the short time I was on the stuff.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Catsplosion posted:

Shower radio! I get in the shower and instantly rock out to some kinda tune that begins without me consciously thinking about it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

If you suffer from teeth grinding/jaw clenching definitely try and deal with those ASAP. TMD(more commonly known as TMJ) isn't fun to deal with.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Yeah, methyphenidate and amphetamines do cause low-key withdrawal fatigue. It's pretty mild for psych med withdrawal and I always found if you reduce your dosage by about 10% a day (more or less, it's impossible to be completely accurate) it makes discontinuation painless. You can do this with XR capsules too, if you open them up and remove some of the little balls in there. Don't crush any of them or it will disrupt the XR mechanism and ruin your taper. I mean it's not the end of the world if you go cold turkey or anything, but not everyone has the time to be a zombie for 4 days.

This is a good massage to do if you clench your jaw a lot on stimulants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jq0LB8b50

Magnesium or agmatine both seem to help a lot too, and they both slow down tolerance formation because they're NMDA receptor antagonists. Also, I used to only clench my jaw when I had bad posture so if stimulants have you hunched forward hyper-focused on something maybe try to sit properly, it might help.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Just bumping my question again -- does anyone have experience travelling with Adderall in Asia? I've literally called embassies for some places (Thailand, looking at you), and they aren't clear on if it's actually banned to bring in or how to get around the issue. I rly don't want to end up in some random prison in Asia.

Harrow posted:

Ammmpphheettamiiineeessss~*~*~*

This is a normal side effect. Magnesium is a really good idea, as is chewing gum.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Just bumping my question again -- does anyone have experience travelling with Adderall in Asia? I've literally called embassies for some places (Thailand, looking at you), and they aren't clear on if it's actually banned to bring in or how to get around the issue. I rly don't want to end up in some random prison in Asia.

I have no experience travelling with Adderall in Asia. But, 1) I'm a librarian, 2) I'm procrastinating on writing an email, and 3) my Vyvanse just kicked in. :v:

The US State Dept's page on Thailand has this to say:

quote:

Medicine for Personal Use: The importation of medicine for personal use is allowed as long as the amount does not exceed a 30-day supply and you bring the medicine with you. Do not mail medicine to Thailand without first checking to confirm it will be allowed into the country. You can find customs and permit information on the Thailand Customs website and the Thailand Food and Drug Administration website. [Those links tell you nothing.] In 2012 and 2013, we received reports of U.S. citizens having difficulty importing prescription medicines that were commercially available in Thailand. It is important that you verify how you will maintain your medicine supply before you begin your trip. You should also use the resources linked in this paragraph to review the legality of the prescription medication you plan to bring with you in your carry-on and checked baggage. If you plan to purchase more medication while you are in Thailand, bring your physician’s prescription order with you. You may need to have your prescription reordered by a physician licensed to practice in Thailand before a Thai pharmacy will fill it.

Thailand's FDA site has this table of restricted drugs, and Adderall or its generic form, amphetamine or dextroamphetamine, doesn't appear on the list.

Neither do they appear on this form. <---Be sure to read this

However, to be safe, this is probably worth taking seriously:

quote:

The import and export of narcotics and/or psychotropic substances into/out of Thailand are general prohibited. Those travellers to Thailand under treatment who need to carry medications containing narcotic drugs and/or psychotropic substances into/out of Thailand must follow the applicable regulations strictly.
Customs agents could consider Adderall to be a psychotropic substance since it affects cognitive function (and can be abused), so I would follow their guidelines:

quote:

B. Medications containing psychotropic substances of categories 2, 3, and 4

According to the Psychotropic Substances Act B.E. 2518 (1975), Travellers to Thailand under treatment are allowed to transport medications containing psychotropic substances of Categories 2, 3, and 4 for personal treatment in a quantity not exceeding 30 days of prescribed usage when accompanied by a certificate/medical prescription from the prescribing physician.

The certificate/medical prescription from the prescribing physician must indicate:
  • the name and address of the patient
  • the identified medical condition
  • the name of the medications and the reason that those medications were prescribed for the patient's treatment
  • the posology [probably dosage] and total amount of medications prescribed
  • the name, address, and license number of the prescribing physician

The quantity of the medications carried into Thailand must not exceed 30 days of prescribed usage.

Examples of psychotropic substances in Categories 2, 3, and 4 according to the Psychotropic Substances Act B.E. 2518 (1975):
Category 2: Buprenorphine, Methylphenidate, Midazolam, Nitrazepam, Phentermine, Temazepam, Triazolam, Zolpidem.
Category 3: Pentazocine.
Category 4: Alprazolam, Bromazepam, Chlordiazepoxide, Clonazepam, Clorazepate, Diazepam, Oxazepam, Lorazepam, Phenobarbital.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I finally got an adderall rx after giving on trying to cope without it and almost losing my job. I had always heard that it instantaneously supresses your appetite enormously and you have to be careful and force yourself to eat. Ive not experienced that, and in fact it seems like my hunger has actually increased... Has anyone else experienced this?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I finally got an adderall rx after giving on trying to cope without it and almost losing my job. I had always heard that it instantaneously supresses your appetite enormously and you have to be careful and force yourself to eat. Ive not experienced that, and in fact it seems like my hunger has actually increased... Has anyone else experienced this?

It's never slowed down my eating; I wish it would.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

prefect posted:

It's never slowed down my eating; I wish it would.

Yeah, only times they (both regular Adderrall and Vyvanse for my history) put a clamp on my appetite is if I take it on an empty stomach and and also slam too much coffee. I DO NOT recommend it.

With Vyvanse I make sure to have it mid or after breakfast or it just feels really rough on me even without the excess java guzzling.

Maybe use your new found focus to pick out healthier food to munch on. If you can try and start a fitness routine. There a several good ones over in YLLS. Even a light one will help your focus some more and put the extra calories to use as fuel instead of extra padding.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have no experience travelling with Adderall in Asia. But, 1) I'm a librarian, 2) I'm procrastinating on writing an email, and 3) my Vyvanse just kicked in. :v:

The US State Dept's page on Thailand has this to say:

Thailand's FDA site has this table of restricted drugs, and Adderall or its generic form, amphetamine or dextroamphetamine, doesn't appear on the list.

Neither do they appear on this form. <---Be sure to read this

However, to be safe, this is probably worth taking seriously:

Customs agents could consider Adderall to be a psychotropic substance since it affects cognitive function (and can be abused), so I would follow their guidelines:

My hero!!! Thank you!!

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Though even if it's legal they might give you a little bit of drama anyway to get a bribe or something. Things like that occasionally happen in SEA.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Captain Blaargh posted:

Yeah, only times they (both regular Adderrall and Vyvanse for my history) put a clamp on my appetite is if I take it on an empty stomach and and also slam too much coffee. I DO NOT recommend it.

With Vyvanse I make sure to have it mid or after breakfast or it just feels really rough on me even without the excess java guzzling.

Maybe use your new found focus to pick out healthier food to munch on. If you can try and start a fitness routine. There a several good ones over in YLLS. Even a light one will help your focus some more and put the extra calories to use as fuel instead of extra padding.

Yeah.. I had hoped, at least, that it would counteract the appetite fuckery my anti-depressants do. I've gained a ton of weight since starting them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Adderall definitely kills my appetite.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Adderall makes it harder for me to eat but I feel so incredibly lovely if I don't eat enough. It's an annoying dynamic.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Are any of you taking any other head meds?

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Yeah.. I had hoped, at least, that it would counteract the appetite fuckery my anti-depressants do. I've gained a ton of weight since starting them.

Don't lose hope. Once you've been on it a bit you may very well find you can at least disregard excessive cravings more easily with a just a little effort. Perhaps you may realize you can re-plan how you eat after a time. You may even find you can engage in more active pursuits as well. Any med whether for ADHD or an antidepressant, etc. can take a bit of time to figure out how it helps and how you need to work with it. Combined with some smart therapy it can make for very noticeable progress before you even realize it.

So see how you get along with it over a bit of time. In general nothing is ever going to be a complete and sudden overnight change outside of rare cases. It may even take a bit of adjustment and trying different med combos.

I'm still in the middle of such medication tinkering myself, but as I notice improvement here and there I realize there is a good path to get on, and you can, with conscious effort, get where you need to go as you stick with it and take it slow and seriously. I've even been able to recover from being a human blob due to depression and med based weight gain as time has progressed. Much luck, my fellow wack brained goon.

Edit:

Are any of you taking any other head meds?

Oh very much here. Cymbalta at present since stops the panic attacks from being as terrible as they can be. Probably going to try Remeron again soon since it did that better AND alleviated my depression far more and some of the ADHD and OCD like symptoms I have as well to good degree. Talk about weight gain potential though... Argh.

Captain Blaargh fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 11, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, that's my hope. At the very least I hope the motivation and focus and calmness increase stay around. I was just wondering because my doc did say it should be immediately noticeable though she did mention vyvanse is generally more effective in that regard. Also, in the week I've had it I've experimented with a few different doses of my ir adderall-- 5, 10, 20 and whether first of the day or the mid day pickmeup, and it seems very inconsistent... Like one day 10mg in the morning would be perfect and another ten in the afternoon doesn't seem to do anything, but another its the opposite-- the morning doesn't seem to really do much, but the second actually seems to work. Maybe an XR would prove more consistent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Adderall definitely kills my appetite.

I wish it killed mine, but I'm not noticing any change at all. I could stand to lose a few pounds, Adderall, help me out here, bro :colbert:

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
5'10 135lb 60mg adderall xr AMA

(I'm too busy this semester to feed myself properly :( )

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Funddevi posted:

5'10 135lb 60mg adderall xr AMA

(I'm too busy this semester to feed myself properly :( )

Wtf I didn't even realize it went that high. Sitting at 15 mg about the exact same height and weight and thinking I might need an increase before next semester.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

skull mask mcgee posted:

Wtf I didn't even realize it went that high. Sitting at 15 mg about the exact same height and weight and thinking I might need an increase before next semester.

The blood-brain barrier is different for everyone, dosage doesn't correlate with bodyweight.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

So I got diagnosed with inattentive ADHD a few months ago when I went to a new psychiatrist for depression/anxiety. After a few visits on my old medication (Welbutrin + Remeron) he basically said something like "I know you're going to think I'm crazy, just try a few weeks on this stimulant. Get over the mania hump and see how you feel afterwards. Take the Remeron still if you want, I don't give a poo poo." He prescribed Adderall IR 10mg 3x a day and I've never felt better.

I really just want to scream from the rooftops how much of a miracle drug this is to me. I never even considered having ADHD before this, so to go to a psychiatrist who knew his poo poo that thoroughly was enlightening.

Next time I see the psych he says "yep, thought you might have inattentive ADHD. Congratulations." I stopped taking every other med except Klonopin as needed for sleep.

I'm still having problems with appetite though, especially at lunch. I'm exercising but it just doesn't seem like enough. And I don't really want to do med-free weekends because I feel like poo poo without it. Are they any foods goons recommend? I'm not quite underweight yet, but I am slowly approaching that "just eat calories, any calories, who gives a poo poo" point with my doctors.

If that's rambling, sorry, I'm really excited about these meds still and as mentioned I have ADHD.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah. Taking meds that work for the first time is a revelation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A quick survey, while we're on the topic of ADHD meds and appetite:

Do you eat breakfast? If so, do you eat it before or after you take your pill?

I tend to be pretty hungry when I wake up, so I've always been a breakfast person. But I've also been taking my Adderall on an empty stomach, usually right after I shower, and then by the time I get to work (which is where I tend to eat breakfast these days), I'm not hungry anymore and sometimes the idea of food is sort of vaguely off-putting. I usually force myself to eat at least something because I assume I'll become a raging hunger-beast by lunch, but I dunno, maybe if I didn't force myself to eat a small breakfast my appetite would stay suppressed?

Not that I really want that. I joke that I could stand to lose a few pounds, and I could, but maybe Adderall-induced anorexia isn't the healthiest way to go about it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It isn't the best way to go about it. You won't feel hunger but you're still going to feel everything else for not eating. I get into terrible moods if I let myself just not eat, and it can lead into bad depressive episodes if it goes on to long.

I've heard eating wen you take your Adderall helps with that so I've started eating a banana at least in the morning. It's certainly helped me!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

If I don't eat enough on adderall I very quickly turn into a monster so I usually eat breakfast first, or at least a banana like the above poster if I'm feeling lazy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I definitely want to keep my appetite. I was just wondering if my tendency to force myself to eat something in the morning is why I haven't lost my appetite, or if that's unrelated and I'm just not really getting that particular side effect.

I've always been a major breakfast person but since starting Adderall I sometimes can barely stomach it. But as long as I do then I'm hungry by lunch time and hungry again by dinner.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Don't take Adderall on an empty stomach. This goes for most stimulants.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah I used to try and take my Adderall on an empty stomach and yeah....mood-wise, would SUPER not recommend.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I haven't noticed it affect my mood if I take it before breakfast, but I don't eat as much and I need the calories.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm in the process of trying to find the right dosage of Adderall for me.

At first I had intro dose of 5mg IR x2, and l wasn't feeling much benefit in terms of focus, only noticed feeling incredibly irritable, road rage, just pissed off all the time.
My therapist suggested that it could be mood swings due to the onset / come-down of IR, and that switching to XR might help with that. So my doc and I decided to try 20mg XR for 10days and for that short time it seemed like my anger it was more manageable, but I still didn't think it was helping with focus all that much. So now I'm on 25mg XR and pissed off again.

I'm having a hard time gauging if its really even helping me with its intended purpose. It seems like at this dosage there is some aspect of positive effects, but its really hard to tell when I'm 100% steaming pissed off.
I'm tired of being angry all the time, like I can't even cope with minor setbacks without flying off the handle and feeling like putting my fist through a wall.
Also my blood pressure was borderline before starting adderall and seems to be only going up with every dose increase, and I'm afraid my doctor will want me to stop taking it or want to put me on some additional BP-specific meds which I really don't want.

I'm also on welbutrin 150mg, which I think is only compounding the anger(and possibly blood pressure) problems. I have been on that for 2yrs or so for depression, and I remember feeling significantly more irritable when I first started on it, but I put up with it because it kept me from sobbing uncontrollably every day.
I have been also talking with my doc about maybe going off welbutrin and back to some SSRI(she suggested lexapro, which I haven't tried), but I didn't want to change too many things at once while in the middle of trying out different Adderall dosages. I guess I'm considering just going off the welbutrin and seeing how I feel on adderall by itself.

I was just really hopeful after my recent ADHD diagnoses that the medication would do wonders for me, and I had read so many testimonials of people saying how much it had helped them, but it seems like stimulants just aren't going to work and the hope is all gone.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Does your therapy include psychoeducation to learn about how ADD affects emotional regulation? Maybe try stimulants later once you've developed some better coping strategies for your anger.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Therapy for your anger issues

It should include psychoeducation to learn about how ADD affects emotional regulation

Try stimulants again once you've developed some better coping strategies for your anger
I've been going to therapy, including yesterday, after which I thought about what we went over and only became incredibly pissed at my therapist. I sent her a nastygram today, so I guess I'll see how that plays out, haven't heard any response yet.

Also I've watched a bunch of video lectures on ADD which did mention the emotional regulation aspect, so I'm aware of it at least, but that doesn't make me any less pissed. You'd think meds for treating ADHD would help with that aspect not aggravate it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

peepsalot posted:

I've been going to therapy, including yesterday, after which I thought about what we went over and only became incredibly pissed at my therapist. I sent her a nastygram today, so I guess I'll see how that plays out, haven't heard any response yet.

Also I've watched a bunch of video lectures on ADD which did mention the emotional regulation aspect, so I'm aware of it at least, but that doesn't make me any less pissed. You'd think meds for treating ADHD would help with that aspect not aggravate it?

Medication can help with stuff like the dopamine reuptake dysregulation but it's not physically changing the structure of your prefrontal cortex. ADD is a complicated condition that affects basically all areas of executive functioning, medication isn't a magic bullet. A lot of learning to cope involves figuring out the stuff that medication doesn't help with.

It also doesn't account for everything you're experience. Increased emotional impulsivity can make anger more severe, but there are plenty of people without ADD who still have anger and rage issues. So it might be a matter of figuring out the ADD and something else about where the anger might be coming from, and how to manage it.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

also maybe don't drink a half-gallon of tea every day if you're on stimulants and have high blood pressure