Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The base with all the characters that you meet immediately after those two missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

The base with all the characters that you meet immediately after those two missions.

Dang, guess I should have kept going after those two missions.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If a dynamic theme has custom SFX, and you turn off System Music, will the custom SFX still play? There's a neat Star Trek TNG theme I might get, but only if I can bypass the weird royalty-free space music that comes with it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I liked Mankind Divided well enough but I feel like there was something missing that kept me from being obsessed with it the way I was with HR. I can't really articulate what that something is, though. Maybe it's just the fact that it didn't really advance in any way from HR so the wow factor wasn't there for me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bloodychill posted:

Dang, guess I should have kept going after those two missions.

tbf you've already seen most of the game after those 2 missions. most of the content is in prague anyways, which is probably what soured me on that game. no drat variety at all

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

J-Spot posted:

I liked Mankind Divided well enough but I feel like there was something missing that kept me from being obsessed with it the way I was with HR. I can't really articulate what that something is, though. Maybe it's just the fact that it didn't really advance in any way from HR so the wow factor wasn't there for me.

In HR, the illuminati plot was played up from the beginning and those kinds of silly mysteries are like catnip to me. Like X-files is still one of my favorite shows despite the ongoing plotline going nowhere. Might be the same for you?

e: for clarity

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 15, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Minidust posted:

If a dynamic theme has custom SFX, and you turn off System Music, will the custom SFX still play? There's a neat Star Trek TNG theme I might get, but only if I can bypass the weird royalty-free space music that comes with it.

I think music and sounds are different

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's unfortunate that Mankind Divided has such a low impact story compared to the previous games. The base gameplay is fantastic, Prague is such an intricate city with a ton of nooks and crannies to explore, but the thrust of the plot is so underwhelming compared to previous games.

Deus Ex 1 was a globetrotting whirlwind adventure to uncover a centuries old Illuminati global conspiracy that entailed mixing it up with Hong Kong triads, shady unethical bio-corps, spelunking in ancient catacombs, battles with sentient AI, having it out with the U.N cyborg commandos, and fighting against a billionaire president-elect who wants to control the world. The sequel saw another big world-wide adventure dealing with the fallout of the last game and how society rebuilt from a post-economic collapse while focusing on the Denton family and more of the same (if not as interesting this time around) global conspiracy fun. Human Revolution took us back to square 1 pre-Collapse and we got mixed up in the debate on the definition of what is Human, fighting against a media conglomerate trying to hold you down, and getting revenge on a gang of Syndicate-looking knockoffs.

Mankind Divided is about a train station that blew up, and you have to go find the guys that did it. Oh and there's a ton of really heavy-handed Apartheid imagery going on. The Illuminati stuff from Deus Ex 1 is kind of here, but not a whole lot of it happens. It and Human Revolution are really dedicated to making sure they don't gently caress with the timeline but I didn't find it exactly as thrilling as Deus Ex 1's secret illegal U.N underwater research base or Deus Ex 2's pantheon of a new techno-machine God built out of the ashes of the Statue of Liberty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

Path of Destinies gets surprisingly dark in some paths, eesh.

I like the one that has you achieve ultimate enlightenment in the middle of the fight. You sit down and all the enemies stop fighting and join you, then the narrator says "lol no they murdered you because you sat down idiot". :v:

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

J-Spot posted:

I felt the same. I liked it, but it didnt "hook" me like HR did. I could never specifically say why that was the case because there wasnt anything major i didnt like about it. I would even say it was a great game. it just wasnt as memorable.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Maybe its years of openworld game formula, but MD seemed like the open city was a tutorial area. And I kept waiting for the game to open up to the 'real game' but it never did. Then things happened and I realized, oh this is the game' Then it was over.

Also I did my damnedest to ghost it, which I did for the most part, and theres very little incentive to play the game again in a less badass way. I can make my bionic cyborg man herp-derp into a room when he can stealth lazer swordgun the last guy after punching the rest to sleep.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, MD feels like a Deus Ex 1 city-arc stretched out over an entire game and that's frustrating. The final boss is like the first boss in any other Deus Ex game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Real hurthling! posted:

I think music and sounds are different

Disabling it also disables the custom music that some games play when selected, though. If that matters.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, MD feels like a Deus Ex 1 city-arc stretched out over an entire game and that's frustrating. The final boss is like the first boss in any other Deus Ex game.

Maybe they should have gone with the episodic model like with Hitman?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^ 3 $60 episodes.

Policenaut posted:

This makes sense, since the rumors are this game was split into a trilogy. So its all IS act 1

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the one that has you achieve ultimate enlightenment in the middle of the fight. You sit down and all the enemies stop fighting and join you, then the narrator says "lol no they murdered you because you sat down idiot". :v:

I've destroyed the world in three different ways. :saddowns:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's a good place to keep track of games with Pro patches?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Those trophies usually seem to have an 80 or so percent completion rate on most games and it's weird to think that 2 out of 10 people who actually take the time to install a game, and likely bought it, never even bother to fire it up.
Or they never look at trophies so the data never gets synced to the servers?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rinkles posted:

What's a good place to keep track of games with Pro patches?

I found this article yesterday. They seem to be keeping it updated.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh drat Rez is on there. Did it come 4k ready or was there a patch I missed?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is there a 20% off digital purchases code floating around right now? How would one get ahold of it? About to buy some stuff and I'd love to use one of those

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are unique codes going out to email newsletter subscribers but i think its over. no general use codes anyone could post unfortunately, unless they got a unique one they won't be using.

bloodychill posted:

Maybe they should have gone with the episodic model like with Hitman?

Lol, they did! Jim sterling has a source at SE and has given him lots of correct info over the past few years and he said over the summer that MD was stripped of its other locations to extend the game's original story into a full trilogy. Not a trilogy including HR, a Trilogy starting with MD. It really obvious that MD was originally supposed to be a bigger game considering how much they mention certain other cities and things happening in them very frequently. i dunno if its really gonna be 3 games at the end but it almost definitely was supposed to be more than what they gave us.

DLC missions obviously carved out of the campaign last minute don't help me look back on the game fondly either.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
1. It's been over a month since PSVR came out. PSVR owners, what's your opinion now of it?

2. I had a PS4 before and the controller hurt my hands. The Xbox One controller is much more comfortable, especially for shooters. Anybody else have this problem and did any weird thumbstick addons or alternate controller help at all? I noticed this thing just got announced:

Nacon Revolution:

Looks like it's only been announced for Europe so far and will carry a tag of $100+

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

89 posted:

1. It's been over a month since PSVR came out. PSVR owners, what's your opinion now of it?

2. I had a PS4 before and the controller hurt my hands. The Xbox One controller is much more comfortable, especially for shooters. Anybody else have this problem and did any weird thumbstick addons or alternate controller help at all? I noticed this thing just got announced:

Nacon Revolution:

Looks like it's only been announced for Europe so far and will carry a tag of $100+

1. vr is dumb
2. you probably just hold it wrong but if you really can't deal with ds4, just play your shooters on pc like god intended.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

gently caress I guess I should just go ahead and finish my MD playthrough. I loved that in hr you went to like 4 major places and a few others counting the ending and the missing link. Here's hoping now there's a complete engine they can just make the next game the act 2 and 3 and release it quickly.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

psvr is cool i would like to see more content for it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the v stands for vita

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
VR means life reality

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

gently caress I guess I should just go ahead and finish my MD playthrough. I loved that in hr you went to like 4 major places and a few others counting the ending and the missing link. Here's hoping now there's a complete engine they can just make the next game the act 2 and 3 and release it quickly.

Wait 4 years for the ultimate edition of the trilogy pack where they magically find a way for your save to carry over.

Games of the years edition.

Yeah the next 2 are supposed to be on the same engine. They just broke up the story to milk it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

89 posted:

I really dig my VR even though I don't use it a ton (mostly waiting for more games). At this point it's definitely a niche product but considering it's pretty much impossible to find a unit at non-scalped prices right now we might see more things becoming available as developers realize there's a market.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Lol, they did! Jim sterling has a source at SE and has given him lots of correct info over the past few years and he said over the summer that MD was stripped of its other locations to extend the game's original story into a full trilogy. Not a trilogy including HR, a Trilogy starting with MD. It really obvious that MD was originally supposed to be a bigger game considering how much they mention certain other cities and things happening in them very frequently. i dunno if its really gonna be 3 games at the end but it almost definitely was supposed to be more than what they gave us.
If that's true they must have planned for a pretty massive game. I still ended up putting a decent number of hours into MD and it was all pretty worthwhile content. I'd say it probably has the best side quests of any game I've played.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

PSVR is good and I like it and I'm glad I bought it. The library is decent bordering on good and it's growing at a steady pace (though VR-only games are generally overpriced), and RE7 is just around the corner. I was too doubtful to preorder but I nabbed a unit on Amazon at the last minute before release and I have zero regrets. It's also been fun to test it on friends and family and watch them flip poo poo over a virtual shark. Feels like VR is here to stay.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Intel&Sebastian posted:

VR means death reality

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

J-Spot posted:

If that's true they must have planned for a pretty massive game. I still ended up putting a decent number of hours into MD and it was all pretty worthwhile content. I'd say it probably has the best side quests of any game I've played.

Yeah they were good, but play witcher 3 soon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

89 posted:

I've been really happy with it. It's a really unique experience and I have a lot of fun with it every time I use it. The novelty hasn't really worn off at all in the two months or so I have had it. I love the tech even though it really could use another gen to improve on it. Whether or not it's worth buying for you is going to depend how interesting VR is to you. Like, if you are totally fascinated by VR it's worth the buy. I don't think the average person needs to bother until more games are out and developers have figured it out more as a platform. It's still a novelty to some extent.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I will never use a VR helmet if I'm not sitting on the ground and at least a half hours drive away from anyone who would consider farting in my face while I'm wearing a VR helmet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I will never use a VR helmet if I'm not sitting on the ground and at least a half hours drive away from anyone who would consider farting in my face while I'm wearing a VR helmet.

your wife is probably hitting you hard while you sleep though. if its gonna happen, let it happen while playing ace combat*

*the only reason to ever own vr, ace combat, is not out yet and has no release date

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah they were good, but play witcher 3 soon.
I've played it but I'm not as enamored with it as many others seem to be. The side quests were certainly good from a story telling perspective but I found the actual game play kind of lacking. With Deus Ex I more fondly remember what I was doing in the quest than the story surrounding it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RE7 is by far the biggest reason to own VR right now imo. I cannot stress how loving cool that game is in VR.

Ace combat is unfortunately another one of those games that is not in VR but has a "VR experience" included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My advice is don't try Vive if you want PSVR, because it makes PSVR seem like poo poo.

• Locked thread