Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Monks were knowledgeable about things.

There was that one obscure dood that was very much into the results of plants loving :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I believe his character is actually supposed to be American.
of italian descent, hence the...brownface?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Brown makeup died with the 90s. It's a new millennium!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

of italian descent, hence the...brownface?

He already played an Italian in Sleuth so I guess someone out there thinks he looks Italian.

I'd watch young pope if I knew where to find it, and also if I had the time to watch TV serials.

... as things stand I just watch the regular old Pope.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In Germany it's on Sky, i.e. no Young Pope for me :(

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Felis Navidad

Caufman
May 7, 2007

pidan posted:

He already played an Italian in Sleuth so I guess someone out there thinks he looks Italian.

I'd watch young pope if I knew where to find it, and also if I had the time to watch TV serials.

The real, living Pope is definitely more important than the Young Pope, who is a story and only the shepherd of a billion fictional souls.

Has anyone else been moved by the papacy of Francis? In his role as a spiritual father, he's been illuminating and challenging to me. I've especially found personal and universal significance in mercy as the first attribute of God.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

pidan posted:

not content with getting the secret service called on lowtax, goons incite a visit from the swiss guard

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Josef bugman posted:

I'd like it if the ten commandments had an additional: "THOU SHALT NOT SHITPOST". Youtube areas would be a smoldering wasteland, but it might help matters. I suppose that makes sense. Something I am not too sure about but I do find interesting. Again sorry if I come across as stupid. I am trying.
"Father, I must confess to the sin of accidia. I failed to cite my facts."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Caufman posted:

Has anyone else been moved by the papacy of Francis? In his role as a spiritual father, he's been illuminating and challenging to me. I've especially found personal and universal significance in mercy as the first attribute of God.

Yeah, it's made a huge difference to me personally. I love him quite a lot.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Felis Navidad

Baby Jesus shouldn't be in there yet, church cat knows what's what.

Caufman posted:

I like Francis, but I also liked Benedict. I think Francis' emphasis on social and environmental issues is good, even though I don't agree with him on every point. I don't know who would make a better pope at this time, maybe Cardinal Marx though.

In a way, it's hard to relate to Francis, because he seems to come at things from a perspective that is foreign to me. But I did like the year of mercy a lot, and his vlogs are kind of cool and inspirational. Is that the role of the pope though? I really don't know enough to judge that.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I will be able to teach a few adult ed classes at my local Episcopal parish in the coming year. If you were given the choice to teach/learn something at church, what would it be? and how would you structure it?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WerrWaaa posted:

I will be able to teach a few adult ed classes at my local Episcopal parish in the coming year. If you were given the choice to teach/learn something at church, what would it be? and how would you structure it?

Most useful thing I've taught is ancient history of the Middle East. Agricultural revolution up to the fall of Rome and anything in between, as detailed as you want to get.

It's kind of overwhelming, but there's a lot of stuff that happened over a very long span of time, and for most people it's all sort of a jumble. Anything more than about 200 years ago is just "the past" and all the events were virtually simultaneous, in that no one can keep the chronology straight.

When I've taught it I've generally kept the focus on Israel and how the events in the civilizations around it shaped its own history. It helps things like "Uriah the Hittite" or the Decree of Cyrus make sense to people, and gives them some context for understanding the Bible and who wrote it.

The downside is that some are absolutely turned off by it - they want to study anything but history. I don't really follow that attitude, given the Protestant emphasis on reading and understanding the Bible for yourself. "Popular" and "useful" curricula do not often overlap, unfortunately.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

pidan posted:

I like Francis, but I also liked Benedict. I think Francis' emphasis on social and environmental issues is good, even though I don't agree with him on every point. I don't know who would make a better pope at this time, maybe Cardinal Marx though.

In a way, it's hard to relate to Francis, because he seems to come at things from a perspective that is foreign to me. But I did like the year of mercy a lot, and his vlogs are kind of cool and inspirational. Is that the role of the pope though? I really don't know enough to judge that.

I love Benedict and admire a lot about his papacy. A pope has been many things, including a scholar and a pastor.

What way do you come at things that is familiar?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WerrWaaa posted:

(another Episcopal person) Talking about the Church Fathers and basically the early history of the Church would float my boat to an unreasonable degree. However, I am a nerd.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Church Fathers are cool, Desert Fathers are pro-tier :)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

For nerds, there's three areas that I think are really interesting:
- Church history, i.e. how did Christianity spread, what differences exist / existed and when did they come to be. This is useful for understanding the various denominations, and can really change the perspective on some things. It's probably more interesting to denominations that value Tradition. Good: You can include all kinds of important by describing what role they've played in the past. Bad: This is a very big topic.
- Bible studies, meaning what is the historical background of the Bible, what are the literary and religious / philosophical traditions that are reflected therein. It gives a whole new meaning to some of the texts, and maybe will also give people a better understanding of Judaism. OTOH, people with a Biblical literalist viewpoint probably won't care too much for this.
- Catechism. At least for Catholics, there's lots of things we don't know about what we're actually supposed to believe, so this might be interesting. It's also less nerdy than the other things I can think of, because it has some application to real life. Complication: People might object to some things their religion teaches, once they find out. E.g. my Catholic mum is 100% convinced we don't actually believe in transubstantiation.

Not sure what non-nerds might like.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Personally I would've loved some background about the liturgy: what do we do, where, when and especially why? As an example: my old, super liberal parish in Vienna recently decided that the “Lord, I am not worthy...“ part of the Mass didn't fit in with modern times anymore and decided to change it. Apparently nobody had known beforehand that it was a direct bible quote :eng99: also it's just plain more fun when you participate in something you know a bit about, at least for me

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

System Metternich posted:

Personally I would've loved some background about the liturgy: what do we do, where, when and especially why? As an example: my old, super liberal parish in Vienna recently decided that the “Lord, I am not worthy...“ part of the Mass didn't fit in with modern times anymore and decided to change it.

Whaaaaaaaaaat

I like that bit :mad:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Something somethibg something millenials.

You're not worthy and you're not worth poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The attitude that happiness is something gratuitously bestowed upon humanity is gross.

On the other hand, it also seems pretty central to man's relationship to God in most forms of Christianity, so I'm not sure y'all should be abandoning it just for the likes of me. :v:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The attitude that happiness is something gratuitously bestowed upon humanity is gross.

lots of people go through life with only rare moments of actual happiness, including lots of people in industrialized countries with high standards of living. some people have chronic depression and just aren't wired for happiness, but we find other ways of living meaningful lives. honestly it seems awfully strange and deeply bounded by 21st-century preconceptions to say that happiness is anything other than purely accidental in most people's lives

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

For nerds: The Development of the Book of Common Prayer: From Calvinism to Catholicism

For non-nerds: Applying The Book of Romans To Your Life

How it will turn out with Episcopalians: Joel Osteen is a dirty heretic and, wait, could you please stop reading The Shack? Yes, yes, I'm sure The Blessing Of The Animals is your favorite part of the liturgical year but you don't need to bring your dog to church every Sunday.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bel_Canto posted:

lots of people go through life with only rare moments of actual happiness, including lots of people in industrialized countries with high standards of living. some people have chronic depression and just aren't wired for happiness, but we find other ways of living meaningful lives. honestly it seems awfully strange and deeply bounded by 21st-century preconceptions to say that happiness is anything other than purely accidental in most people's lives

Sure, but you're speaking of what is, I'm speaking of what should be. The only way they're the same is if this is the best of all possible worlds and that's just too horrifying a concept to contemplate.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

The Phlegmatist posted:

could you please stop reading The Shack?

I'd like to hear people's opinions on that book. A friend loaned it to me last spring and while I was skeptical, I found the story really good in giving food for thought. As long as I believed the author and went in with the attitude that everything in the book is fiction, including the theology, I enjoyed it. A unique book among my library of books I've read. Normally even religious fictions take their theology really seriously and have a teaching tone in them. This one didn't, for me, but I'm sure many people quote it as nearly dogmatic.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
I'm not terribly fond of it, precisely because, as you said, the theology is pure fiction. Granted, I'm also deeply uncomfortable with anything other than an allegorical depiction of God the Father, no matter how progressive it might be. I guess there's nothing particularly wrong with people reading it just for pleasure, though I don't think it's particularly well-written either, but I think that reading it in the context of Christian theology is a severe mistake. I never felt like it grappled with the problems of evil and death in a serious way; it shares the too-common fault of Christian fiction of attempting to resolve all of its reader's doubts instead of accompanying them in uncertainty and affirming that nobody needs to have the answers to find holiness.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bel_Canto posted:

I'm not terribly fond of it, precisely because, as you said, the theology is pure fiction. Granted, I'm also deeply uncomfortable with anything other than an allegorical depiction of God the Father, no matter how progressive it might be. I guess there's nothing particularly wrong with people reading it just for pleasure, though I don't think it's particularly well-written either, but I think that reading it in the context of Christian theology is a severe mistake. I never felt like it grappled with the problems of evil and death in a serious way; it shares the too-common fault of Christian fiction of attempting to resolve all of its reader's doubts instead of accompanying them in uncertainty and affirming that nobody needs to have the answers to find holiness.

God was a woman in that, right?

The murder rape bits were tough to swallow but also something something forgiveness?

I didn't like that book but I read it in jail so maybe my context was bad.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Bel_Canto posted:

I have to agree with everything you said, except one. I've never read a non-allegorical depiction of Father so the novelty of it was one of the major courses in the thought-meal.

Weird, I agree with all the faults yet I still liked reading it. :D

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Valiantman posted:

I'd like to hear people's opinions on that book. A friend loaned it to me last spring and while I was skeptical, I found the story really good in giving food for thought. As long as I believed the author and went in with the attitude that everything in the book is fiction, including the theology, I enjoyed it. A unique book among my library of books I've read. Normally even religious fictions take their theology really seriously and have a teaching tone in them. This one didn't, for me, but I'm sure many people quote it as nearly dogmatic.

God the Father, the first person of the Trinity, is depicted as a black mammy archetype.

That's actually kinda hosed up whether or not you believe in God.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Phlegmatist posted:

God the Father, the first person of the Trinity, is depicted as a black mammy archetype.

That's actually kinda hosed up whether or not you believe in God.

I take it you didn't like alanis morissette in dogma

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

syscall girl posted:

Nobody should like anything Kevin Smith does.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think its pretty funny when people unironically use the Buddy Jesus, does that count?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Nobody should like anything Kevin Smith does.

tusk is great

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

syscall girl posted:

Well, that was actually okay.

The Father (who is beyond gender) and the Holy Spirit (who is also beyond gender, but was an Asian gardener in The Shack cause why not) could be represented by anything.

Probably not a good idea to choose the most racist things that come to mind to try to make some kind of point.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

tusk is great

I hope I can disabuse you of this notion:

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/status/2554608773

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

you're just jealous you've never had your dick powned

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

death of the author bitch

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

that said i have never seen a kevin smith movie and also im drunk so w/e

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

that said i have never seen a kevin smith movie and also im drunk so w/e

he says nasty things about his wife to sell fleshlights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

you're just jealous you've never had your dick powned

Certainly not by that most erogenous of zones, the taint.

• Locked thread