Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

no bones about it posted:

How retarded could it be and you still buy it? 50%? 60?

Great question.

I'm OK with it being fairly retarded, maybe up to 50% or so (it is Bioware). But if it farts in the bathtub levels of retarded like DA2, or ends the series on a 100% retarded note like ME3, that's just too retarded for me, I'm afraid.

PB's adding a few points to the retarded score for me, but maybe I can just ignore her sidequests and she'll die alone.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ainsley McTree posted:

I will buy this on day 1 no matter how retarded it is tbqh

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I mean it's a Mass Effect game and I like Mass Effect games

so long as it's Mass Effecty enough I'll buy it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna buy this at some date at least a year after release for $20 no matter how retarded it is.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm gonna get the mass effect

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can I pork an alien => buy

Can I pork a robot alien? => preorder

Can I have an orgy with synthethic and organic aliens? => ultimate edition

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

*writes SAME in huge font on a barn door*

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zzulu posted:

If SAM is as much a part of you as they say, any captain kirking you do would basically be an orgy by default.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't loving wait for this thread to be video driver discussion for pages on end

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

moist turtleneck posted:

I can't loving wait for this thread to be video driver discussion for pages on end

What's worse video driver discussion or everyone's download percentage updates?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
gently caress, is this game gonna be on PC too?

gently caress and i was just starting to like it here

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

69 is my favorite percent

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'd get this on PC but all my friends who I played multiplayer with have Bones and never use PC so I guess I'll get the dumb bone edition and wait until the ultimate edition comes out on PC so I can play the version people have modded to hell and back.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd get this on PC but all my friends who I played multiplayer with have Bones and never use PC so I guess I'll get the dumb bone edition and wait until the ultimate edition comes out on PC so I can play the version people have modded to hell and back.

:hellyeah:

welcome to bone krew

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

all my friends who I played multiplayer with have Bones and never use PC

Those people you're talking about, they're not your friends.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Isn't Frostbite lovely for modding? I remember some issues in the DA:I thread about it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Moola posted:

i'm gonna get the mass effect

I'm gonna get massively erect. Well, moderately. My BP hasn't been great lately.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Mass Erect: Androgyny

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Mass Erect: Androgyny

No, that's my other medication.

:corsair:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

:hellyeah:

welcome to bone krew

"oh my god, someone else bought one. please play with me"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

But if it farts in the bathtub levels of retarded like DA2

Yo hold up.

Do you think that farting in a bathtub is some kind of atrocity?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

DancingShade posted:

"oh my god, someone else bought one. please play with me"

we're actually a lot bigger than you think

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

we're actually a lot bigger than you think

Drink less dew

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

We've already seen females of both species. Neither of them had tits. Hell, female salarians are indistinguishable from the males.

When do we see female Salarians?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mymla posted:

Those people you're talking about, they're not your friends.

i'm his friend

bitch

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

wookieepelt posted:

When do we see female Salarians?

In Mass Effect 3, the Dalatrass and the replacement Salarian Councilor if you sacrificed the Council in ME1

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Strong female characters

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Zzulu posted:

The collectors being a sort of collection crew who'd start to make this cycles reaper before the invasion, so the reapers could go full cleansing mode during their re-entry to the galaxy made sense to me

The presentation of the human reaper was real bad though. I remember in the ME2 thread at launch people came up with a hundred better ways to introduce the concept to the player...

To me personally it was just confusing because the Reapers had been presented as these squid shaped things and suddenly we had a skeleton shaped reaper... It just made me think of a huge metal skeleton man flying around in space and shooting at its foes with eyelasers

Mass Effect would be a better franchise if Reapers were an armada of huge metal skeletons flying around in space and shooting eye lasers

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yo hold up.

Do you think that farting in a bathtub is some kind of atrocity?

Plus as far as video games go, DA2's narrative is pretty terrific. At least for stuff like hanging out with characters and enjoying their banter, I thought it had a pretty solid cast. Aveline is pretty amusing and likable for example. Overall it's probably in the top 76 video game narrative experiences. *pull out pipe and strokes beard*

So, Mass Effect: Andromeda. I hope the characters are memorable and entertaining. And... maybe some cool choices that make notable differences.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 16, 2016

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How does ME1 hold up these days? I want to play through the series before Andromeda is released and I've never played the DLC for the third game, so now seems like a good enough time as ever to get that done!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How does ME1 hold up these days? I want to play through the series before Andromeda is released and I've never played the DLC for the third game, so now seems like a good enough time as ever to get that done!

It's really janky and rough. It hasn't aged well.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

It's really janky and rough. It hasn't aged well.

The story is still great, though. You can do some things to tweak up the graphics and make it look a little less clunky, but really though nothing saves that equipment system. I still recommend playing through it though!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Well for one, replaying ME1 will make you realize that it's almost as guilty of asset reuse as Dragon Age 2. :shepface:

Honestly I think ME1 was only as praised as it was because of the novelty of a lot of it. The gunplay is mediocre, the character progression system is unsatisfying, and a lot of the cast doesn't develop an identity beyond serving as a mouthpiece for their given culture until the second game.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

play it without asking here and form your own opinion

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

Well for one, replaying ME1 will make you realize that it's almost as guilty of asset reuse as Dragon Age 2. :shepface:

Honestly I think ME1 was only as praised as it was because of the novelty of a lot of it. The gunplay is mediocre, the character progression system is unsatisfying, and a lot of the cast doesn't develop an identity beyond serving as a mouthpiece for their given culture until the second game.

Old game not as advanced as newer games: full report at 11:00.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

Plus as far as video games go, DA2's narrative is pretty terrific. At least for stuff like hanging out with characters and enjoying their banter, I thought it had a pretty solid cast. Aveline is pretty amusing and likable for example. Overall it's probably in the top 76 video game narrative experiences. *pull out pipe and strokes beard*

So, Mass Effect: Andromeda. I hope the characters are memorable and entertaining. And... maybe some cool choices that make notable differences.

Fenris, Aveline and Varric were all pretty good

everything else though ...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Moola posted:

Fenris, Aveline and Varric were all pretty good

everything else though ...

I didn't mind Carver.

He was an arse, but it felt like a pretty realistic sibling relationship.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Oblivious posted:

lmfao

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

JawKnee posted:

play it without asking here and form your own opinion

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I still like to play ME1, though it definitely helps to mod it. Make the Exe large address aware and add texture and post processing mods to make it look 100 times better. I' m on my iPad at the moment so can't link but look on nexus for MEUITM and it'll give you clear instructions and links to do that.
If you've played the other Mass Effects then I think you should play the first one, it's a really strong establisher of the universe and will give you a ton of lore and background on concepts, people, places etc.
The main takeaway on it is that is story focused rather than combat focused and it's much more of a rpg in feel than the later games. I still love it but it's a very different game from 2 and 3. If you hate the combat then turn it to casual and edit the ini to make Mako kills give as much experience as on foot kills. That tends to speed things up a bit. The wiki also has maps of all the planets so you can cut down on time spent exploring and get straight to it.
There's also a checklist by teryx that'll help you keep track of everything in game.

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 16, 2016