Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I know it doesn't impede the boot process in any way, but is there a way to get rid of the 'you did something naughty and we're gonna keep reminding you about it' splash screen on an unlocked Verizon Pixel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nothing to do with Verizon. That's been a Google thing for awhile.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bull3964 posted:

Nothing to do with Verizon. That's been a Google thing for awhile.

Alright - good to know. The last thing I unlocked and rooted was my Nexus 7.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the daydream app that I'll end up getting the most mileage out of is YouTube while I'm in bed. It's pretty awesome.

Is there a web browser for vr yet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Alternate history 2013: In an act of monumental humility, a Google-owned Motorola Mobility relinquishes the decision to leave their name on their next flagship in exchange for a design that focuses on build quality, software optimization for hardware, and creating the ultimate mobile Google experience. The Google Pixel is born.

Right guys? :911:

Why make a Pixel at cost when they can pay a third party to do it and make a smaller profit instead?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Alternate history 2013: In an act of monumental humility, a Google-owned Motorola Mobility relinquishes the decision to leave their name on their next flagship in exchange for a design that focuses on build quality, software optimization for hardware, and creating the ultimate mobile Google experience. The Google Pixel is born.

Right guys? :911:

Why would "a design that focuses on build quality, software optimization for hardware, and creating the ultimate mobile Google experience" require relinquishing their name?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just stumbled upon the Tango thing from Google. I think ar like this is going to be way more useful than vr. Pretty neat

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mister Macys posted:

Why make a Pixel at cost when they can pay a third party to do it and make a smaller profit instead?

Google didn't do that with HTC for the Pixel's hardware? I am totally confused about how the real one came to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mister Macys posted:

Everyone pays a 3rd party to build their devices. Now, it's true that Motorola was also an ODM, but I don't know that the ODM business was under the Motorola Mobility division that Google purchased.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Just stumbled upon the Tango thing from Google. I think ar like this is going to be way more useful than vr. Pretty neat

I'm just waiting for the tech to be combined.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

PerrineClostermann posted:

I think the daydream app that I'll end up getting the most mileage out of is YouTube while I'm in bed. It's pretty awesome.

Is there a web browser for vr yet?

I was wondering this too. Looks like they are going to implement be in chrome sometime in January.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Google didn't do that with HTC for the Pixel's hardware? I am totally confused about how the real one came to be.

The Pixel is made by HTC, similar to how every iPhone is made by Foxconn. Foxconn still makes some of their own branded stuff but mostly just makes nearly everything for everyone else. HTC did this in their early days (Dell PDA's, the PPC6700, etc) before they started making their brand known and throwing it on their own products.

Now since HTC has been struggling to get back to the EVO 4G / M7 days since Samsung sort of mopped up the Android market and all these other Chinese makers actually caught up somewhat in build quality, HTC is back partially to making devices for others without their branding on it. Since HTC does have for the most part, some of the best build quality using Metal, it makes a lot of sense for Google to just use them as they have a few other times with Nexus, and HTC probably enjoys not having to do any marketing or design R&D themselves for a high end device for a change on their pocket book.

Though since the Pixel is this good but sort of oddly boring on the outside after only a 9 month dev cycle driven by Google, you have to wonder what both teams might come up with after a full year of development and optimizations. The Pixel 2 has to be one hell of a device, but man I hope we get another closer to the 6P/M7,8,9 as far as speakers are concerned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Pixel is made by HTC, similar to how every iPhone is made by Foxconn. Foxconn still makes some of their own branded stuff but mostly just makes nearly everything for everyone else. HTC did this in their early days (Dell PDA's, the PPC6700, etc) before they started making their brand known and throwing it on their own products.

Now since HTC has been struggling to get back to the EVO 4G / M7 days since Samsung sort of mopped up the Android market and all these other Chinese makers actually caught up somewhat in build quality, HTC is back partially to making devices for others without their branding on it. Since HTC does have for the most part, some of the best build quality using Metal, it makes a lot of sense for Google to just use them as they have a few other times with Nexus, and HTC probably enjoys not having to do any marketing or design R&D themselves for a high end device for a change on their pocket book.

Though since the Pixel is this good but sort of oddly boring on the outside after only a 9 month dev cycle driven by Google, you have to wonder what both teams might come up with after a full year of development and optimizations. The Pixel 2 has to be one hell of a device, but man I hope we get another closer to the 6P/M7,8,9 as far as speakers are concerned.

The greatest thing is that the Pixel is the best phone HTC has ever manufactured, and it's largely because it combines their build quality with a UX that isn't shat up with Sense. I'm aware that they didn't design the phone and essentially got contracted by Google for assembly but technically it was manufactured by HTC, just not as an HTC device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My biggest issue with the Pixel is the back glass design. It scratches way too easily and the outer lens of the camera is integrated with it. Compounding that is there's no way to replace that back glass other than replacing the whole case of the phone for $149.

So, crack the back and you could hose your camera if it crosses the lense or AF elements.

This is the first phone where I feel compelled to not only use a case but also put a protector on the back glass to keep it from getting scratched INSIDE the case.

If they would have used hardier stuff for the back glass, made it inset a bit, and separated the optics for the camera from it, I would be much happier.

Hell, a plastic insert would have been better than glass if they wanted to keep the RF window.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

The greatest thing is that the Pixel is the best phone HTC has ever manufactured, and it's largely because it combines their build quality with a UX that isn't shat up with Sense. I'm aware that they didn't design the phone and essentially got contracted by Google for assembly but technically it was manufactured by HTC, just not as an HTC device.

Sense is still probably the least intrusive skin of the OEM skins even back in the Sense 5+ days.

They all have gotten super minimal and things like the HTC 10 show they have gotten down to pretty much nill and you are just downloading and updating a launcher rather than a full OS skill anymore. Heck I like the HTC Sense Launcher for Blinkfeed but they did go and screw the pooch by partnering with NewsRepublc which is immensely more terrible then Sense 6/7's Blinkfeed news source. Though seems like all the news feed apps are using them now so, crap.

The HTC 10 itself is a fantastic pre Pixel, Pixel competitor, but being it is an OEM device, has to rely on updates from HTC and not Google. If OEM's could start making devices that could get updates directly from Google, and all they had to do was supply a Vendor image or some update package that just adds their value add bits (Camera Tech/Features, Sound Mods, other device specific fancy feature) then that would sure be a hell of a lot more easy to keep updated as well as still have some differentiation.

Hell Microsoft did it for Windows Phone/Mobile, but the failure part was they stopped making any new "good" phones (A Surface phone may fix this in 1-10 year) and the fact that they technically rebooted their OS 3 times in under 6 years and keep adding/taking features away and all sorts of other crap that killed their marketshare. The tech itself though shows that updates from the OS builder itself, does indeed work, and the OEM can throw in their own bits on top of it carrier independent even.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

Hell Microsoft did it for Windows Phone/Mobile, but the failure part was they stopped making any new "good" phones (A Surface phone may fix this in 1-10 year) and the fact that they technically rebooted their OS 3 times in under 6 years and keep adding/taking features away and all sorts of other crap that killed their marketshare. The tech itself though shows that updates from the OS builder itself, does indeed work, and the OEM can throw in their own bits on top of it carrier independent even.

Part of the reason why OEMs jumped off the Windows Phone train was that they couldn't differentiate in the market. Windows phone's general issues compounded that of course, but it was still a pretty big complaint from the OEMs.

Google has done largely what you are asking through play services. It's the core APIs that drive the platform and any phone can get new features even if it was abandoned. The last piece of the puzzle is being able to patch the majority of security exploits without a system image and you can bet they are working on that problem too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sense is still probably the least intrusive skin of the OEM skins even back in the Sense 5+ days.

They all have gotten super minimal and things like the HTC 10 show they have gotten down to pretty much nill and you are just downloading and updating a launcher rather than a full OS skill anymore. Heck I like the HTC Sense Launcher for Blinkfeed but they did go and screw the pooch by partnering with NewsRepublc which is immensely more terrible then Sense 6/7's Blinkfeed news source. Though seems like all the news feed apps are using them now so, crap.

The HTC 10 itself is a fantastic pre Pixel, Pixel competitor, but being it is an OEM device, has to rely on updates from HTC and not Google. If OEM's could start making devices that could get updates directly from Google, and all they had to do was supply a Vendor image or some update package that just adds their value add bits (Camera Tech/Features, Sound Mods, other device specific fancy feature) then that would sure be a hell of a lot more easy to keep updated as well as still have some differentiation.

The 2015 Moto X Pure was a good example of an OEM-customized UX but even then it suffered the same delays in patching. I doubt anyone would be able to achieve the kind of streamlined update process you describe without major changes to how Google allows manufacturers to ship phones with Android.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This is a dumb question I think, but on my Nexus 6P, when I hit the square button(the recently used apps) and swipe the apps away, is it actually closing them or just taking them off of that list? Is there a difference between a left swipe and a right swipe? Thanks!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

This is a dumb question I think, but on my Nexus 6P, when I hit the square button(the recently used apps) and swipe the apps away, is it actually closing them or just taking them off of that list? Is there a difference between a left swipe and a right swipe? Thanks!

No. Swipe whatever way is easiest pretty much.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It is actually closing them. It's not necessary in 99% of situations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I finally got the OTA on my 1st Gen Droid Turbo! Android M. What a time to be alive.

Lets hope it doesn't brick my phone!

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Internet Explorer posted:

I find it useful to get rid of player controls for music/podcasts if I'm switching to a different player, swiping the app away will kill the notification as well.

Except Google Music of course which will happily keep its controls in the notification tray, forcing me to swipe it out of notifications if I want active display to behave and only show one app on my MXP.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife always swipes everything off because she's ocd like that. Also she plays lots of games and they seem to not handle being in the background as well as apps in general.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

EdEddnEddy posted:

If OEM's could start making devices that could get updates directly from Google, and all they had to do was supply a Vendor image or some update package that just adds their value add bits (Camera Tech/Features, Sound Mods, other device specific fancy feature) then that would sure be a hell of a lot more easy to keep updated as well as still have some differentiation.

Wasn't that basically the Nexus? The issue with what you're proposing is that the hardware and software are oftentimes so interdependent that if you just slap vendor mods and Google images together, you get XDA.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly. But unlike Surface from Microsoft, all the Android OEM's continue down the road of doing the same crap each phone adding and taking away from the Core OS as they saw fit and after having a Nexus, I never really want to go back even though HTC and a few others do make some drat nice hardware outside of Nexus/Pixel.

Google then started clamping down on things like Material Design and other bits which is why you are seeing less overly skinned OEM devices then you did 2+ years ago, but they still don't have a cure for the Update fragmentation that is a literal joke depending on the carrier/brand/etc.

I guess looking at Linux as a whole though, it is unsurprising and a curse of the platform they chose as a whole. Customization was it's go to "killer feature" among a few other things (being free helps), but it shows how a single OS (iOS/Windows) is a much easier thing to patch and build for if it can stay relatively the same between devices.

Hopefully now that we are getting to the point that even low end entry level devices can run the latest OS version perfectly fine, Google can work the Pixel's 2 Partition tech into all future 7.0+ devices that can in a way, make OTA's faster and easier as they break out parts of the OS as well for patching directly from Google. But I won't be holding my breath to see if that happens, or is given up like the last few Update Initiatives they have sort of Announced, then let die the week after.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I was referring to the fact that when they owned Motorola, they should've just been able to commission the phone and not be charged above what it would take to make it.
At least, that is my assumption of the Moto/Google relationship at the time; that Moto manufactured its own devices, and was wholly owned by Google.

But with htc, they have to pay not only materials cost, but enough to make it worth htc's time.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 15, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

My wife always swipes everything off because she's ocd like that. Also she plays lots of games and they seem to not handle being in the background as well as apps in general.

If you scroll up on that list far enough, a "clear all" button appears in stock Nougat now, for whatever that's worth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mister Macys posted:

I was referring to the fact that when they owned Motorola, they should've just been able to commission the phone and not be charged above what it would take to make it.
At least, that is my assumption of the Moto/Google relationship at the time; that Moto manufactured its own devices, and was wholly owned by Google.

But with htc, they have to pay not only materials cost, but enough to make it worth htc's time.

Motorola Mobility's plant was in Texas. It probably wouldn't have been cost effective to manufacture there long term anyways

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So my Pixel is doing some funky things. First it froze when Auto launched and I had to reboot with the power button. It didn't respond to anything else.

Now it's not connecting to data, the dev options just say to use a different user to change them, the home and recents buttons do not work and I can't pull down the notification shade twice to reveal all options. Not getting notifications either. Anyone else experience this? Not rooted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cage-free egghead posted:

So my Pixel is doing some funky things. First it froze when Auto launched and I had to reboot with the power button. It didn't respond to anything else.

Now it's not connecting to data, the dev options just say to use a different user to change them, the home and recents buttons do not work and I can't pull down the notification shade twice to reveal all options. Not getting notifications either. Anyone else experience this? Not rooted.

Sounds almost like something broke all the radio stuff in your phone. Can it even connect to wifi?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds almost like something broke all the radio stuff in your phone. Can it even connect to wifi?

Yeah but I can't enable mobile data even by switching it on. It's like the base software hosed up.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah but I can't enable mobile data even by switching it on. It's like the base software hosed up.

Maybe try a factory reset? I know it's a hassle but I don't think I've ever had an Android phone break like that. I have had to manually set the APN settings to match Cricket Wireless's in the past when my data stopped working randomly. It only happened once though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
FWIW the AA update for Sync3 leaked. Its a 20 minute install, but almost all 2016 MY fords/lincolns (all of them with sync3) can use it.

Does it count as Ford keeping their promise to release it by year's end if its a leaked file rather than an OTA?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Weird frivolous question- how do I get album art to properly show up on audio files when using the default Android music app? I have a bunch of music on there that all has album art when viewed on a Windows machine, but it's seemingly random as to which arts do and don't show up on Android. Running 5.0.1.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Yep. NDK stuff (c++ code needed for games) has to be managed far more explicitly by developers. It'll happily churn away in the background if not told specifically to stop, whereas a standard java app will be essentially put to sleep by the Android OS, without the developer having to do any of that work. The result is that lot of games or other processor heavy apps can crush your phone even when not focus.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reflash the firmware.

C-Euro posted:

Weird frivolous question- how do I get album art to properly show up on audio files when using the default Android music app? I have a bunch of music on there that all has album art when viewed on a Windows machine, but it's seemingly random as to which arts do and don't show up on Android. Running 5.0.1.

Does it show in Google Music online?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 16, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is it possible to find an Android RDP client with bluetooth mouse support? I'm on the road a lot and have to RDP back to my Windows desktop. It works okay but the legacy software we use comes across with fields so small that it's hard to catch them quickly with my finger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The official Microsoft client has Bluetooth mouse support.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I know it doesn't impede the boot process in any way, but is there a way to get rid of the 'you did something naughty and we're gonna keep reminding you about it' splash screen on an unlocked Verizon Pixel?

If you mean the screen when you first turn it on that complain about an unlocked bootloader before the boot animation, you can flash a new logo.bin to get rid of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Verizon is doing the $10/m deal for the Pixel again so my Mom went in to get one after seeing my sisters. They were out of 32G so she got the 128G black one. She likes the stiffer buttons (that don't wiggle) and the fact that it is slimmer in the hand similar to her old HTC Trophy. The 5X was just a bit too wide and it's buttons were soft.

So yea, slowly becoming a Pixel family. Last is my Dad using a still working perfectly Nokia Icon so until that dies, he might not be switching for a while.

Also it sorta pisses me off that my Dad got a new 2016 Ford F-350 that has Sync 2, and the last update was September 2015. No upgrade path to Sync 3 sucks.

Also if you do get a Verizon Pixel and ever want to possibly dabble into customization/root/etc, best to unlock the bootloader with dePixel8 before you do anything else (like upgrade to 7.1.1 which kills the ability). It also allows you to flash a factory image easily vs if you do have a Firmware corruption issue or something, having to send it in.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 16, 2016